Kevlar jeans

robblok

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 leather jackets (1 Thai, 1 Italian), Icon Elsinore 1000 boots which I love, and usually wear jeans with knee pads.

Been thinking about Kevlar jeans too, but didn't find the right ones yet.

Most American and Australian brands lack in style, European ones cost more than I'm willing to spend and the Thai ones I'm not too sure about quality.

If I had the chance to try them on first I would probably get a pair.

122-1207-01-o%2Bdo-denim-jeans-hold-up-i

From Mythbuster:

From our testing, we found that an everyday pair of denim pants, when dragged on smooth asphalt at a low speed, won’t rip into shreds immediately but will rip faster than a bong on 420 when met with gravel, rocks or road debris. The Draykos saw similar wear to the Levis in the first drag test but left the rocks in much better shape—where the denim ripped, the underlying protective lining stayed strong. At riding speed, jagged edges rip denim in the blink of an eye but knitted Kevlar and Dyneema fabrics withstand much higher levels of abrasion and don’t tear or blow out as easily. We didn’t test at speeds greater than 35 MPH so imagine what would happen at 80 MPH. What’s guaranteed in every crash is that your legs will hit the deck so shouldn’t they be protected? Riding jeans might cost you an extra $100 dollars over what’s already in the closet but that’s a fair trade to limping around with serious leg road rash if things go wrong

From RiDE mag, November 2011. Purely abrasion resistance tests performed by SATRA, with no armour inserts fitted. They don't specify a simulated road speed, just the relative times to wear through the trousers. Average times are shown, the article has details for knee / thigh / arse times:

Hein Gericke Reno leather jeans: 4.74 seconds
Draggin' Biker kevlar jeans: 3.07 seconds
Hornee kevlar jeans: 1.39 seconds
Rev'it Sand textile trousers: 0.71 seconds
Levi stonewash 501s: 0.56 seconds
Tesco Cherokee jeans: 0.16 seconds

Edited by Cobrabiker
  • Like 1

I am looking for a pair too, found out that draggin brand is very popular among many motorcycle forums, another brand is Sartso, but no test figure, I prefer to go for test results rather than brand, and draggin seems to be the most popular and also tested as above.

Sartso

http://www.sartsoshop.com/aus/index.php?osCsid=ak5jh3elh0pv4s9abul3h61fr6

For draggin, there are 2 websites, one in Austrialia, much more expensive, and the other in US and cheaper, not quite sure these 2 are the same.

Draggin Jeans - Draggin Jeans has been manufacturing high quality motorcycle clothing since 1997 and is the only casual motorcycle brand in the World to have EVER passed the CE Tests for Abrasion, Burst and Tear resistance. Draggin Jeans products are manufactured under the strictest quality control, are constructed with high quality natural fibres, and are lined along all major crash points with a unique combination of the strongest fibres in the world, Draggin Jeans products are engineered to perform when it really counts. The Draggin Jeans lining represents a revolution in fibre technology. With Kevlar® and Dyneema®, the World's Strongest Fibre™, forming its core, the lining is soft, breathable, flexible and non-allergenic. Hugely superior to basic woven or knitted Kevlar® alternatives. Draggin Jeans takes advantage of Dyneema's amazing strength to weight ratio to deliver unrivalled safety, resilience and comfort.

Sartso Killer Jeans - Sartso Killer Kevlar Jeans are a new age range of Kevlar jeans designed with the fashion conscious rider in mind. Sartso Killer have constructed a new age Kevlar jean using a woven Kevlar that has been specifically designed to protect riders from abrasion injuries with its exceptional burst strength. Sartso Killer Kevlar has undergone stringent testing to make sure that they with stand the different elements of a motorcycle accident. The design team at Sartso Killer have designed their jeans in conjunction with a broad range of riders, freestyle stunters, sports bike and cruisers. Our Kevlar jeans have incorporated armour pockets in the knee along with the Sartso Kevlar (Safety Capsule) to offer their customers peace of mind when they are riding in our jeans.

Edited by Cobrabiker

I think leathet washable jeans are way to go.

Ride mag report makes it clear.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Summer in Thailand is so <deleted>@king hot and humid, one will probably die of heat stroke than accident if you wear all leather,further more, sometimes don't feel like wearing any armour, so kevlar jeans is still better than none, this is what I think.

Edited by Cobrabiker

I never had pain on my ass from riding but wearing the kevlar jeans and admittedly i rode a longer trip i got quite sore. I am think its because i wear briefs not boxers as most of the pain was more towards the legs as my ass.

Lightly-padded bicycle shorts worn under your Kevlar jeans can help quite a bit with that.

I think leathet washable jeans are way to go.

Ride mag report makes it clear.

Summer in Thailand is so <deleted>@king hot and humid, one will probably die of heat stroke than accident if you wear all leather,further more, sometimes don't feel like wearing any armour, so kevlar jeans is still better than none, this is what I think.

What about a thin perforated one?

post-184955-13883295477732_thumb.jpg

I've actually given Draggin' jeans a test run back in Blighty, albeit inadvertently when I came off on a patch of diesel while navigating a roundabout and they literally saved my arse. Although my thigh was bruised and sore my skin was intact. I was only doing about 30 mph so anything above that speed I couldn't say how they would perform. At higher speeds decent leathers are proven to offer very high abrasion resistance and would be my everyday choice, although there are some good textile jackets and trousers available nowadays which could be worth looking into as an alternative.

• Like 2

Saw a pair of Kevlar jeans in my local bike shop just under 5k, looked nice but still trying to come to terms with wearing this gear in the heat here, still have my brand new Alpinestars jacket which has not been worn yet, wearing my gloves all the time now, it's going to take a bit longer before I change to becoming a proper biker, for now I'm happy being a not proper biker!!

Even with riding pants on you can get road rash without breaking the protection. When I crashed in June wearing Joe Rocket mesh pants and shorts under them, needless to say my left knee was burned by the pants as I slid across the road. It would have been worse with out the protection, the reinforced knee area was not broken protection still intact. I will be wearing long pants under my riding pants from now on.

I was in PandaRiders yesterday and they stock a few designs. Great shop BTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

dilligad, how did you get to Panda Rider? is it inside Prasert soi 17, I cant seem to find it in Google street View. Im not very familiar with that area.

cheers

I was in PandaRiders yesterday and they stock a few designs. Great shop BTW!

dilligad, how did you get to Panda Rider? is it inside Prasert soi 17, I cant seem to find it in Google street View. Im not very familiar with that area.

cheers

It is on the main road to (kaset) with those concrete pilars in the middle that have numbers on them. It was for a project that was never finished.

Then its on the left side the soi after a big honda dealer.

• Like 2

I just gave the taxi man info in Thai and it seemed easy to find.

It can be seen easily from the

main road as its just a short distance down a small soi.

Yes it is... and you see the honda dealer and after the honda dealer you see the soi. I cant remember what number of concrete pilar it was but it was below 100 if i remember correctly.

All those pilars have numbers from one to 280 (at the end)

• Like 2

thanks dilligad, robblok in google street I found the honda dealer, I will go there this or next weekend.

Good.. if i recall correctly there is a pedestrian bridge just after the soi you need to get in. I hope that helps too.

Just copy and paste this into Google Maps +13° 50' 20.71", +100° 36' 2.85"I'm picking up my bike tomorrow from Suzuki and may check out Panda Rider as it's close by.

What Suzuki you getting? I was in there checking out a new bike too.