Yingluck promises reform council

webfact

Yingluck promises post-election reform council
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra announced on TV on Saturday that the next government would set up a people's council to reform politics after the February 2 election.

Yingluck said on TV that her government had listened to suggestions of several sides expressed via several forums that Thailand needed to be reformed in social, economic and political dimensions.

But her government also needed to uphold the rule of law and the Constitution and the reform needed to be carried out by the mechanisms of parliament and government, she said.

As a result, she urged all the political parties that will contest the February 2 election are urged to sign a social contract to support the country's reform by setting up a people's council.

The council, which will be called Thailand Reform Council, must be formed only after the election and will have two-year term, she said.

Yingluck said the council would be comprised with representatives from profession groups and organizations that are legal entities, political parties, and other groups with no legal status.

She said the council would also take into account proposals of the Council of University Presidents of Thailand, meetings of permanent secretaries, other organizations and other local and national-level groups.

The council will propose mechanisms for reforming the country in the long run and will ensure that the politics will be reformed so that political officials will really represent the people.

She said she hoped that all forums would consider the government's proposal and send their suggestions to the government and hoped that the reform could begin soon after all sides agreed on the proposal of reform council.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-21

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So 'Ms Original' has now stooped to the depths of saying she will assemble a 'people's council'... I thought she said it was illegal and outrageous to set one up.

It's one thing to blast one of Suthep's wishes, and other thing to go on and steal it for your own.

I would rather have a 'people's council' set up by Suthep and Co any day if the alternative was one set up by this bunch of corrupt retards.

Try reading carefully. The reform council will discuss ways of reforming the "social, economic and political dimensions". It is not a replacement for democratic government but a way forward for Thailand. Definitely not a clone of Sutheps nebulous "peoples council".

Your point is not valid, she didn't confirm or even mention that democracy will be a fixed tenant of the reforms.

• Like 2

No good, Yingluck, The Dear Leader wants POWER and Absolute Power at that, whilst the pathetic drips in the (un)Democrat Party are going to boycott the election in the hope of a re-run of 2006!

I'm sure that Dear Leader, playing golf in Dubai, will already have made his wishes known to his sister. facepalm.gif

Edited by Ricardo

Now that the Democrats have boycotted the election, I wonder if this promised reform forum would have ever taken place, especially as PTP will now sweep every seat in the country. ( Surapong : " It's an absolute landslide ! " ) In any event, I am dubious. Every announcement PTP has made has shown an increasing desperation. Even Surapong has abandoned his daily Foreign Countries Delighted announcements. The only credible weight Yingluck's announcement today would have had, if her government - at any point in its two and a half year tenure - took any interest in reform at all, outside of the continued efforts to get Thaksin into the country, and their efforts to diminish the power of government ombudsman agencies, including the Supreme Court. Right from the very first day of " her " administration. So there are real reasons why people don't believe her now. They didn't believe her then.

• Like 2

PTP tend to do what they say they are going do and most likely will carry out reforms as they will not have any opposition with probably around 90 per cent of the vote. That will blow out what is left of the Dems for the forseeable future.

The Dems, well they dont actually do anything,all of them have already resigned from the government on the pretext of getting everything that has been given and now they don't want to contest the election, pathetic!

"all of them have already resigned from the government"

I think you'll agree that they weren't actually in government, merely MPs in the Lower House, as part of the Opposition ? wai2.gif

• Like 1

So 'Ms Original' has now stooped to the depths of saying she will assemble a 'people's council'... I thought she said it was illegal and outrageous to set one up.

It's one thing to blast one of Suthep's wishes, and other thing to go on and steal it for your own.

I would rather have a 'people's council' set up by Suthep and Co any day if the alternative was one set up by this bunch of corrupt retards.

Try reading carefully. The reform council will discuss ways of reforming the "social, economic and political dimensions". It is not a replacement for democratic government but a way forward for Thailand. Definitely not a clone of Sutheps nebulous "peoples council".

Your point is not valid, she didn't confirm or even mention that democracy will be a fixed tenant of the reforms.

OK you disagree with me, but please make sense with your reasoning.

PTP tend to do what they say they are going do and most likely will carry out reforms as they will not have any opposition with probably around 90 per cent of the vote. That will blow out what is left of the Dems for the forseeable future.

The Dems, well they dont actually do anything,all of them have already resigned from the government on the pretext of getting everything that has been given and now they don't want to contest the election, pathetic!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

PTP do what they say !!!!!! Brilliant. Really made me laugh out loud.

They've really stopped corruption thumbsup.gif

Yeah, Thaksin thinks and PT does. Why change a winning formula!

The only reforms they'd ever carry out would be to whitewash their crooked boss and create some sort of supreme PM role for him, whilst dismantling any checks and balance and suppressing any criticism.

• Like 2

No good, Yingluck, The Dear Leader wants POWER and Absolute Power at that, whilst the pathetic drips in the (un)Democrat Party are going to boycott the election in the hope of a re-run of 2006!

Whats worse absolute power or absolute monarchy ?

One more wise move of Yingluck and the PT.

The only problem is that Suthep and the Dems don't really want "reforms".

The only thing they want is to rule Thailand without having to follow democratic rules.

With or without reforms the Dems can't win an election anyway. The problem is themselves, their attitude and their sense of superiority.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

This is the sort of reform this country needs:

Turkey corruption inquiry: Ministers' sons charged

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan Yingluck has denounced the investigation as a "dirty operation" against his her government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25475859

Edited by davehowden