The Starting Point for Respecting Thais and Thai Culture

GuestHouse

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I don't respect any large groups of people, why should I give the Thais any special treatment. Many years ago, when I saw how people drive (not in Thailand) I decided that there was no hope for humanity, peace, common sense.... you name it.

Happy Christmas anyway.

• Like 2

I respect all people on this planet, no matter culture, skin color and religions etc... And I do this, until they show me disrespect. If e.g. a Thai thinks I am a naive and stupid Farang, then I will think the same of him/her.

For me, Thai people are very different and all are unique in their own personal way. (just like all other people in this world) I always judge and respect people based on their personality - not their nationality.

You get very far with just using common sense, when it comes to integrating into another culture.

What you are saying doesn't help if you have low self esteem. How do you know what other people think, unless you can read their mind? Not too many people will say out right you are stupid.

Then you are living in a la la land. You probably think parents hate their own children when you see the kids get punished.

When I see parents hitting their children here in Thailand (which I sometimes see), then I think that the parents are stupid, under-educated and should never had had children... They for sure do not get my respect.

Then you are living in a la la land. You probably think parents hate their own children when you see the kids get punished.

When I see parents hitting their children here in Thailand (which I sometimes see), then I think that the parents are stupid, under-educated and should never had had children... They for sure do not get my respect.

I'm sure many Thai parents hit their own children in public place....for you to see 555.

I'm sure that the terms "get punished" only means hitting spanking for you -- which tells me the kind of a person you are.

Sorry for turning this nice post into crap, OP.

But my point is some farangs are not what they claim to be. Soi41 is a pretty good example.

Btw Mr. Khunpa, respect is earned not given. I'm sure a smart guy like you know that.

Edited by txp158
  • Like 1

The Starting Point for Respecting Thais and Thai Culture, is surely respecting yourself and your own culture - an anchor point from which you can appreciate others and their culture.

Or do you need to reject respect for your own past to accept the new life you have in Thailand?

I respect myself based on my own self improvements they are not necessarily

gotten from my "own culture" as such is no anchor point. I may have cherry picked what I thought

was useful,right,morally correct etc. based on how I perceive things.

Perhaps it did not deserve my total respect. Why would I need to

first respect that which does not deserve respect in order to respect any other culture that may deserve my respect.

To put it simply respect is earned not given automatically due to where I was born or where I presently reside.

I know basically what you are trying to imply but cannot say I agree. Like so many things there are many

smaller parts to any whole

Edited by meechai

I respect all people on this planet, no matter culture, skin color and religions etc... And I do this, until they show me disrespect. If e.g. a Thai thinks I am a naive and stupid Farang, then I will think the same of him/her.

For me, Thai people are very different and all are unique in their own personal way. (just like all other people in this world) I always judge and respect people based on their personality - not their nationality.

You get very far with just using common sense, when it comes to integrating into another culture.

What you are saying doesn't help if you have low self esteem. How do you know what other people think, unless you can read their mind? Not too many people will say out right you are stupid.

But maybe he recognises perceptive people

For me, Thai people are very different and all are unique in their own personal way. (just like all other people in this world) I always judge and respect people based on their personality and actions towards me - not their nationality.

I couldn't notice that you posted very negative posts about rich people not being held accountable for crime and parents requesting money from their offspring who are involved in prostitution. Since these are both linked to Thai culture stemming back hundreds of years ago don't you need to qualify your statement that you like Thais until they violate the morals that you culturally ascribe to? There are hill tribe people who marry at 12 and don't shower. One assumes you would not approve of that?

you respect people when they respect you

you respect people when they respect themself...( who gonna respect a drunk thai?)

True....to answer ur question. Another drunken thai.

you dont get respected when you show yourself in a weak position, never!

You might get some empathie, you migh get some help from good people but the average thai will crunch you... wai2.gif

you respect people when they respect themself...( who gonna respect a drunk thai?)

Respect everybody unless they give reason.

That drunk Thai might end up saving your life one day!

actually there is more chance that the drunk thai will take your life in a car accident than save yours!

I did take the drunk thai as an example! So let turn the table, do you will get respect, if you are seen everyday completely drunk with the money that your daughter earn in pattaya? Do you will get respect if you are a thief, a scammer....?

No only honest and good people deserve to be respected!

True....to answer ur question. Another drunken thai.

you dont get respected when you show yourself in a weak position, never!

You might get some empathie, you migh get some help from good people but the average thai will crunch you... wai2.gif

Respect everybody unless they give reason.

That drunk Thai might end up saving your life one day!

actually there is more chance that the drunk thai will take your life in a car accident than save yours!

I did take the drunk thai as an example! So let turn the table, do you will get respect, if you are seen everyday completely drunk with the money that your daughter earn in pattaya? Do you will get respect if you are a thief, a scammer....?

No only honest and good people deserve to be respected!

Well..... what 1 deserves....1 not always gets....