Yingluck's reform roadblock must be cleared away

webfact

Whatever going to happen let it happen and get this shit over with. I can't be the only one who is sick and tired of that disruption to everyday life here in Thailand. Also those think that getting rid of Thanksin is getting rid of the problem are crazy. I can see Thanksin turning himself in and going to jail. What's the different he could still do and say what he wants with the PTP. He would serve no more than a year and half on his two year term and then run for PM again. You can't stop him unless you put a bullet in his brain and then he is seen as a symbol for the red shirts. You can't win he is here in most red shirts and PTP hearts and minds.

"Thailand's political crisis has deepened. There are two conflicting courses: reform first, then a general election, or a general election first, then reform."

Reform first: "You do it MY WAY"

Then general elections: "I buy the people's vote and win anyway. So you do it MY WAY

MY WAY MY WAY ON THE HIGHWAY.... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'm with Ramrod711 on this one.

How about a system where your right to vote is tied directly to the amount of income tax you pay. As an example, say One vote for every 10,000 Baht in Taxes paid in the previous year. You just need to show your Tax paid receipt at the polling stations, to get your votes.

After all, the people who are creating the wealth and giving it to the government to manage, should have much more say in how it is used.

This would be a very fair system, and would ensure that good governance is practiced.

It would also put a big dent in vote buying as well, as the more well off citizens with more voting power are much less likely to sell their vote.

Edited by NoBrainer

How about a system where your right to vote is tied directly to the amount of income tax you pay. As an example, say One vote for every 10,000 Baht in Taxes paid in the previous year. You just need to show your Tax paid receipt at the polling stations, to get your votes.

After all, the people who are creating the wealth and giving it to the government to manage, should have much more say in how it is used.

This would be a very fair system, and would ensure that good governance is practiced.

It would also put a big dent in vote buying as well, as the more well off citizens with more voting power are much less likely to sell their vote.

Except the tax dodging super rich won't have a vote!

Whatever going to happen let it happen and get this shit over with. I can't be the only one who is sick and tired of that disruption to everyday life here in Thailand. Also those think that getting rid of Thanksin is getting rid of the problem are crazy. I can see Thanksin turning himself in and going to jail. What's the different he could still do and say what he wants with the PTP. He would serve no more than a year and half on his two year term and then run for PM again. You can't stop him unless you put a bullet in his brain and then he is seen as a symbol for the red shirts. You can't win he is here in most red shirts and PTP hearts and minds.

To say it's impossible is giving in to tyranny, and giving in to a gang of thieves stealing the common wealth and the future of all Thai people, and with no conscience.

This must be stopped and unfortunately / sadly there will be pain, but nothing is impossible.

Edited by scorecard

A people's council would be formed to lay the foundation for Thailand's political, economic and social reform. Then a fresh election would be held.

The phrase People's Council fills me with shards of icy dread. The reform stuff is average propaganda statements.

The last sentence is entirely up-in-the-air. They already said they don't trust elections, and Miss Singha pointed out very eloquently why not. So boycott the elections in Feb, but we promise we will hold elections at a later date. I've got a condo to sell you Suthep, and it has a built-in sunroof (holes in the ceiling).

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Although an opinion article, it makes some salient points. One is that Thaksin's influence on this administration is undeniable - even to those of PTP, and that is unacceptable, and in fact, without parallel in the free world. The fact that it has been tolerated for so long is remarkable. But clearly the amnesty bill ended that. Yingluck has betrayed the trust of many of the people who voted for her - some of whom were inclined to vote for the Democratic party - but were persuaded by her calls for reform and unity. After two and a half years of catering to Thaksin's wishes, and culminating with the amnesty bill, she has lost that trust. Yes, Isaan and the northern provinces are more than happy with this state of affairs. But the other half of the country is not. And it is impossible to govern a country that is so deeply divided. Both sides in this drama want reform. That should be the meeting point. It is the only path forward.

• Like 2

"Constitutional Court ruling against a parliamentary move for an all-elected Senate." Seems the basic idea of democracy is having elected officials, not appointed by who knows who. Please explain how increasing the number of elected versus appointed officials is undemocratic. It may be unconstitutional (and who wrote that fine document?) but it is a move towards a more democratic form of government.

IF Suthep's reforms are carried out successfully, he will be remembered as a great man. If Yingluk is remembered at all, it will hardly be as favourably, probably as the last of great thieves of Thailand.

Edited by JRSoul

"Constitutional Court ruling against a parliamentary move for an all-elected Senate." Seems the basic idea of democracy is having elected officials, not appointed by who knows who. Please explain how increasing the number of elected versus appointed officials is undemocratic. It may be unconstitutional (and who wrote that fine document?) but it is a move towards a more democratic form of government.

Certainly. Also part of the reform was allowing politicians families to be elected as senators so that it could be a rubber stamp for the current government. Under the Senate as proposed by PTP, Thaksin's amnesty would have become law, despite being both corrupt and a serious conflict of interest.

The current senate, though hardly powerful, is theoretically free of political bias.

My question is, are you in favour of corrupt legislation which would likely pass a politicised Senate? If not, why change a system which apparently works well for one proposed by a corrupt government (to suit their purposes) because in theory, it is more democratic?

IF Suthep's reforms are carried out successfully, he will be remembered as a great man. If Yingluk is remembered at all, it will hardly be as favourably, probably as the last of great thieves of Thailand.

He wont, she will being the first ever female PM of Thailand ( a landmark here no less than Obama in the US regarding at the very least equality ) and finally there will be many many great thieves to come and most are already in politics in all parties and you can take that to the bank. wink.png

Ah, another unbiased article in The Nation, this time from the great and the good, Thanong Khanthong.

You can always rely on Thanong for the truth, such as his reporting that Thaksin was seriously ill with prostate cancer and doctors had been despatched from Bangkok to Dubai.........http://www.oknation.net/blog/panuwat838084/2010/04/09/entry-1

You couldn't make it up. Well, he obviously did, but you know what I mean. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-007.gif

Edited by fab4

This letter is the most loathsome piece of propaganda that I have yet read oin this highly biased newspaper. A collection of half truths, lies and speculation. I suppose that I should just laugh and file it under the heading of Trash but it appears to have been written by a guest correspondent which is a worry.

The system you propose will make the rich even more rich because they will choose conservative politicians that protect their wealth, for instance by lowering the minimum income. In a perfect democracy every vote / person should have the same weight. What Suthep wants is to introduce a system wherein the biggest part of the population will have very little power in future elections. His big reform is all about that. You can hardly call that democratic.

Sent from my ME173X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Oh look another Nation sheep pleasing headline... god this paper is worse than the SUN sometimes i swear.

Stupid gutter press rubbish ... you can throw them out in the feb elections thats what they are there for.... bit hard when the baby refuses to play i must admit .. but........... ill say it again ..... Thailand gets what Thailand deserves and will keep on getting it until it grows up and acts in an adult and civilised manner ... by winning an election by campaigning and hard work for a change... not its stupid childlike obsession with a coup frequency that is more regular than others have elections... legitimacy has absolutely nothing to do with the way these idiots run their country.. never has and probably never will. I would say it is far far more likely to get a very sinister form of leadership than a fair one at this rate.

Indeed. We must, at all costs, avoid the Cambodian system that Weng and his merry band of numpties hanker after

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ah, another unbiased article in The Nation, this time from the great and the good, Thanong Khanthong.

You can always rely on Thanong for the truth, such as his reporting that Thaksin was seriously ill with prostate cancer and doctors had been despatched from Bangkok to Dubai.........http://www.oknation.net/blog/panuwat838084/2010/04/09/entry-1

You couldn't make it up. Well, he obviously did, but you know what I mean. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-007.gif

I sincerely believe that you think cheating in the house and failing to recognise the CC are traits of democracy.

If so the your soul is lost

Another journalistic masterpiece by The Nation!!

Sutheps mob are killing people on the streets of Bangkok and they suggest taking Yingluck to court??

Wonder if he is the owner of The Nation??

attachicon.gifFat Man .JPG

killing people on the streets in bangkok? You fantasist.perhaps you were recalling the "killing and burning by the red thugs in May 2010"

You couldn't make it up. Well, he obviously did, but you know what I mean. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-007.gif.pagespeed.c

I sincerely believe that you think cheating in the house and failing to recognise the CC are traits of democracy.

If so the your soul is lost

And if you think removing people from power via mobs and street noise corrects stuff like this and is a "trait of democracy" then you don't get it either. If the government has made mistakes, or is guilty of bad practice, you use the machinery of government to deal with it. That is how it works - simple.

• Like 1