Cold-weather boozing dangerous: Thai doctor

webfact

When I was back in California two years ago, where the weather temp. had dropped very low homeless people to seek out emergancy shelters to keep warm. One homeless man wasn't so lucky and got drunk on vodka and slept under a bridge. The tempertures that night went below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. In the morning a group of joggers spotted a man sleeping under the bridge, worried about his safety they called the police to check on his status. When the police arrived they climbed up to where he was sleeping and tried to shake him so he would wake up. No response then they attempted to move him, he was stiff and frozen solid.

Now the city and the surronding areas have set up a program of emergancy shelters along the northcoast, so when the temp drops to low people have a place to go. Some of those places also service hot coffee in the morning to help warm them up.

One thing, alcohol lowers your body temperatures and when your drunk you are not aware of what's going on around you.

• Like 1

This thread brought back memories of one of the 'old boy' scrumpy drinkers in the small west country town where I grew up. More than once he was seen stretched out in his back garden as the sun rose, covered in a layer of frost. He survived into his 80s.

They are correct cold weather and alcohol do not mix. Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona and one of the marines who raised the flag on Mount. Suribachi, Iwo Jima died from exposure after drinking too much and falling asleep outside.

My great great grandfather died from heatstroke after drinking too much and falling asleep in the Sahara.cheesy.gif

Hahahaha... LOL!!!

"In several northern and northeastern provinces, the temperature has dropped so low that frozen dewdrops have appeared."

Not exactly -28 in Moskow...

"In Amnat Charoen, a 94-year-old woman was found dead in her bedroom yesterday morning and doctors suspect it became too cold for her.

"She was relatively healthy. So we suspect the cold spell as the cause," said Amnat Charoen Provincial Administrative Organisation councillor Prasert Kananont"

There's a well-balanced autopsy report. The lady was 94. Very well possible it was her time in spite of any temperature. Sounds like a good way to go though.

It wasn't an autopsy report.

Nice of you to suggest her possibly dying due to hypothermia was nice for her.

"In several northern and northeastern provinces, the temperature has dropped so low that frozen dewdrops have appeared."

"In Amnat Charoen, a 94-year-old woman was found dead in her bedroom yesterday morning and doctors suspect it became too cold for her.

"She was relatively healthy. So we suspect the cold spell as the cause," said Amnat Charoen Provincial Administrative Organisation councillor Prasert Kananont"

There's a well-balanced autopsy report. The lady was 94. Very well possible it was her time in spite of any temperature. Sounds like a good way to go though.

The well-balanced report was a sarcastical remark. The good way to go was about a simple cardiac arrest because of old age. You could try to look through different glasses, could make life nicer.

Wot ? blink.png

I think the age of 94 would have been a major contributing factor to the unfortunate lady.

Oh, I didn't read the full thread before making my comment but think it's still valid.

Edited by Bpuumike

How many 94 year old do you think are in Amnat CHaroern province? Most of the women there die before they are 60.

<deleted> I'm no doctor and can see a possible cause of death being old-age.

Given that female life expectancy in Thailand is 77 I would say she did pretty well although the cold may have been what finally pushed her health too far.

The well-balanced report was a sarcastical remark. The good way to go was about a simple cardiac arrest because of old age. You could try to look through different glasses, could make life nicer.

If she died from the cold it would most likely happen in her sleep which isn't so bad. Always sad but at 94 she certainly did well

When I was back in California two years ago, where the weather temp. had dropped very low homeless people to seek out emergancy shelters to keep warm. One homeless man wasn't so lucky and got drunk on vodka and slept under a bridge. The tempertures that night went below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. In the morning a group of joggers spotted a man sleeping under the bridge, worried about his safety they called the police to check on his status. When the police arrived they climbed up to where he was sleeping and tried to shake him so he would wake up. No response then they attempted to move him, he was stiff and frozen solid.

Now the city and the surronding areas have set up a program of emergancy shelters along the northcoast, so when the temp drops to low people have a place to go. Some of those places also service hot coffee in the morning to help warm them up.

One thing, alcohol lowers your body temperatures and when your drunk you are not aware of what's going on around you.

A very good point.

Death through cold happens when you fall asleep which is why it's important to keep anyone suffering from cold awake. Of course alcohol tends to make you sleep so puts you in danger. I'm not sure if this is relevant in Thailand though.