Farang door mats

Kangawallafox

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for the bloke who can turn the other cheek and calmly walk away especially if it can be done without remorse later. It's far more noble to be capable of that than to become embroiled in a situation in a country where the rule of law doesn't even apply to the locals let alone the foreigners and where things can get very nasty, very quickly.

Unfortunately, however, I'm not the type to let people take the piss.

If a local tries to knock me or palm me off with shitty service or goods, I generally stand my ground until I get what I want.

That usually works out in my favour because

1. I'm not an unreasonable person and I'm not averse to compromise

2. I've got no one to impress,

3. I've got no "face" to save since I don't give much of a toss what the locals think

On more than one occasion, I've been commended for standing up for myself here - by both Thais and Westerners - but I don't strut away indignantly feeling proud of myself

No, I walk away thanking the stars that common sense and awareness ensures I know which fights to fight and which to walk away from.

This is exactly how I have been trying to put it,well done.

• Like 1

Time to stand up boys,and let our feelings be heard,walk shoulder to shoulder and head held high,enough is enough no longer will we be second class cizitans here,let's fight the good fight and let our feelings shine through,,anybody doing anythin on the 13th Jan in Bangkok??

Sent from my HTC One mini using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

there also some expats who just go with the flow when they are actually in Thailand, to state they why you feel someone tried to rip you off a couple of bucks is your right ,but to keep on about it for weeks is really abit sad , I check in on thai forum usually every morning when I am doing my physio but going by the amount of posts you have posted in such a short time ,does not leave you much time for any thing else,as one member stated you feel you are getting hard done by then speak up all be it diplomatically, you seem to have so little knowledge and experience of life and ways of the thais, they didn't get the nickname of smiling assasins for nothing, sadly the only times we are not somewhere ,Vietnam or Thailand is when we are either with family in Europe or here in aus having the odd operation or two!

I'm never afraid to speak out in favour of paragraphs.

And brevity.

SC

I like Twitter -- one can always link to a longer effort but if you can't summarize in 140 characters few these days pay attention (130 characters)

I think it is all about the person's outlook to life, or rather outlook to the life they expect. However, when people come here, and continue to clutch the ideals of their countries of origin, expecting this to be a global standard, then these people, IMHO, are the ones who avoid conflicts and express their views/rants/complaints in a safe environment such as an internet forum.

It is also a matter of understanding what common sense is, a strange phrase in itself as it is not common for everyone to see it. In my case, common sense is not so much how an individual views and assesses a particular situation alone, but also includes how others view it. We are all fallible and should never be arrogant enough to expect to be right 100% of the time.

People who are that arrogant usually join a discussion group and try to assassinate those that disagree with them.................. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for the bloke who can turn the other cheek and calmly walk away especially if it can be done without remorse later. It's far more noble to be capable of that than to become embroiled in a situation in a country where the rule of law doesn't even apply to the locals let alone the foreigners and where things can get very nasty, very quickly.

If a local tries to knock me or palm me off with shitty service or goods, I generally stand my ground until I get what I want.

3. I've got no "face" to save since I don't give much of a toss what the locals think

On more than one occasion, I've been commended for standing up for myself here - by both Thais and Westerners - but I don't strut away indignantly feeling proud of myself

No, I walk away thanking the stars that common sense and awareness ensures I know which fights to fight and which to walk away from.

This is excactly the balance we should be aiming to achieve.
Issue is, we all need to acquire some knocks and bruises first before we can hone this balance. Not easy, but achievable if we wish to reside here longterm.
  • Like 2

you have to ask why do farangs end up in thailand or other asian countries, what general type decides that thailand is for them and their reasons for coming (usually for p****) and settling down (before losing their money). Seems like most farangs don't play the long game, lose their cash and end up bitter.

Are you one of these losers?,i'me not ,neither are any of my friends ,but seems that there are quite a few on here always moaning and complaining.

• Like 1

This is exactly how I have been trying to put it,well done.

Well put to words - I stand up for myself all the time - but its knowing which battles to fight and which ones to leave behind that matters the most

I have always been a stickler for making a point based on principals - I have had to leave that behind in many occassions here in Thailand due to the lack of principals and the the lack of basic understanding of important life principals - those values never ever existed here to begin with

Thais have been programed mostly by the chinese and thai chinese people with money - kept barefoot and uneducated - many countries find it easier to manage the population if the masses kept barefoot and ignorant.

• Like 1

Whether or not you are being walked over is a personal perception. Even in our own cultures people have different ways of dealing with uncomfortable situations and different tolerances for putting up with sh#t. You're probably just seeing the same thing here, people reacting more calmly to situations than you do, and possibly having a more pleasant day because they do.

• Like 1

I need to book mark this thread so I can repost it into the frequent 'bend over and take it like an Alian" threads we see of TVF.

Forgieners protesting about other foreigners standing up for themselves here in Thailand is one of the classic TVF themes. I have never understood the mindset of people who do this - but there are a lot of them on TVF.

Time to stand up boys,and let our feelings be heard,walk shoulder to shoulder and head held high,enough is enough no longer will we be second class cizitans here,let's fight the good fight and let our feelings shine through,,anybody doing anythin on the 13th Jan in Bangkok?? Sent from my HTC One mini using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

ARE you a CITIZEN here?

it's only for those that get shafted,that get short changed

If you're repeatedly shafted and short-changed, then the problem is you. Huffing and puffing about how you react after the fact is simply trying to save face and redirect attention away from yourself to someone else.

John-Burroughs-wisdom-quotes.jpg

Edited by Suradit69