Media throws more light on clashes

Lite Beer

PROTEST RIOTS
Media throws more light on clashes
The Sunday Nation

30223500-01_big.gif

This file photo taken on December 26 shows protesters clashing with police outside the Bangkok Youth Centre Stadium, where candidates had to register for the election.

BANGKOK: -- Absence of protest leader at stadium gate seen as one of the reasons for the situation to become violent

Reporters, photographers on the field and a senior police officer in charge of the operation gave their accounts that shed more light on the sequence of events surrounding the deadly clashes at Bangkok Youth Centre, also known as the Thai-Japanese Stadium.

The clashes, which left two people dead and about a hundred injured, took place on December 26, as protesters tried to prevent election candidates from registering their candidacy at the venue.

One reporter from the Nation Multimedia Group said he was there from 7am at Gate 2 of the centre.

"Young protesters began climbing the wall to enter the venue with some of them using a ladder. Police warned them that if they trespassed, the police would be compelled to use tear gas and rubber bullets. But the teenage protesters did not listen and began throwing bottles and wooden debris at police," said the reporter.

"The protest leader at that time was Amorn [Amornratananont from ASTV], who tried to warn the protesters to calm down, but the young protesters would not heed. [Amorn's] vehicle then left for another gate, which was about 100 metres away."

The reporter said then a six-wheeler, attached to a crane, tried to bring down three concrete poles supporting the wall. It was then that the police began firing tear gas. Some three to four canisters were fired. The young protesters then moved to the area between gates 1 and 2 and hurled objects at the police. Some threw fire-extinguisher tanks in the direction of the police.

Amorn's truck left the area at around 8am and it left a leadership vacuum with the situation becoming more violent. The reporter said the police issued a warning only once and that at least one officer appeared to have used a slingshot in retaliation. One protester was hit by an iron bolt fired from what appeared to be a slingshot.

Pol Lt-General Sophon Pisutwong, who was in charge of the police operation on that day, said they could not give any further warnings as the loudspeaker vehicle was damaged soon after the first warning was given. He attributed the level of violence to the violent intention of some protesters. "It ended like that because they intentionally wanted to see violence," said Sophon.

What's more, he said, the protesters realised that the police were not armed with lethal weapons and so they acted as they pleased. The arrest of 14 protesters who were taken inside the centre also was a factor, he said, stressing that police had followed the international standards in handling the crowd.

One Thai news photographer working for a foreign news agency said rubber bullets were fired indiscriminately at one point with four photographers being hit, himself included. On the other hand, he observed protesters tearing down the wall of the centre at a number of spots.

Police vehicles were vandalised by protesters, who managed to enter the centre, and what appeared to be gun shots were heard until this photographer fled by evening due to safety concerns even as the clashes continued late into the evening.

Another news photographer said the violence could be blamed on the fact that the protest leader soon abandoned his men and there was no one to calm the situation down.

"It was later, around 3pm, that protest leader Amorn returned on the back of a truck and ordered the protesters to retreat as they were negotiating with police about those who had been arrested. Most of the protesters retreated except a group of 20-30 young men who continued to throw objects at the police and tried to enter the centre until someone shouted that live bullets were being used. So there was a panic dispersal. I looked ahead and saw a group of some 40 to 50 police officers marching and firing tear gas. Some protesters were hit and fell down, but I don't know what kind of bullet was used."

Another newspaper photographer on the ground on that day said that by 4pm the protesters had managed to destroy the wall and enter the site and there were heavy clashes. Bullets were fired, although he was not sure whether they were real or rubber bullets, and the protesters were eventually dispersed.

He said he heard a police officer complaining to his colleagues that their superior had not instructed them whether to attack or retreat and he [the superior] wasn't even at the site. "The police appeared to be very upset and they released [their anger] by attacking vehicles parked along the route when they were chasing the protesters."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-05

That's what you get when you preach hate 24/7 but don't have any way of controlling your minions.

Your so right and they are meant to be professionals........

"He said he heard a police officer complaining to his colleagues that their superior had not instructed them whether to attack or retreat and he [the superior] wasn't even at the site. "The police appeared to be very upset and they released [their anger] by attacking vehicles parked along the route when they were chasing the protesters."

• Like 1

Police officer using a sling shot, same as in published photo? ID number clearly visible, but will be prosecuted/disciplined?

In every country around the world, police officers are expected to be armed with pistols or other firearms. A slingshot is actually LESS dangerous than a pistol. Shoot me in the head with a pistol and with a slingshot and tell me with which I have a better chance of survival.

There's only one way to find out............you first thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Police officer using a sling shot, same as in published photo? ID number clearly visible, but will be prosecuted/disciplined?

Why would he be prosecuted?

In every country around the world, police officers are expected to be armed with pistols or other firearms. A slingshot is actually LESS dangerous than a pistol. Shoot me in the head with a pistol and with a slingshot and tell me with which I have a better chance of survival.

In every other country, if protesters attacked police with molotov cocktails and weapons, they would have been shot dead on the spot.

If anything, the police officer should have been given an award for defending himself with ONLY a slingshot.

Let's not forget that the protesters injured dozens of policemen and murdered one of them.

I take it you've never been to the UK

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

As you can see it's nothing but high school dropout fro the south paid to cause trouble by the anti-government protesters. The leaders run and let the ignorant kids die for them.

You know this for a fact or is your febrile imagination getting the better of you?

As you can see it's nothing but high school dropout fro the south paid to cause trouble by the anti-government protesters. The leaders run and let the ignorant kids die for them.

You know this for a fact or is your febrile imagination getting the better of you?

It's a fact Jack.

Or perhaps the OP copies the comment from observing past recent history in Thai politics.

It's a fact Jack.

How do you know this, where are the facts, haven,t you never seen rampaging BKK students, I,ve seen thousands of them in Pink lao years ago and it was scary, so again where are the facts.

In every other country, if protesters attacked police with molotov cocktails and weapons, they would have been shot dead on the spot.

If anything, the police officer should have been given an award for defending himself with ONLY a slingshot.

Let's not forget that the protesters injured dozens of policemen and murdered one of them.

Red shirt philosophy at its best. This a police force, not a red rabble; officers are expected to follow the ROE and to use the weapons issued to them in the approved manner. They are specifically NOT allowed to bring their toys to work, whether they be slingshots, knuckle-dusters, samurai swords or hand grenades.

Further, firing steel bolts into a crowd is assault with a deadly weapon, because that is capable of causing death. the onus would be on the police officer to prove he was in fear of his life, which still wouldn't exonerate the illegal weapon charge. And the police office pictured in another thread using a slingshot would have a very hard time proving that.

I remain neutral. Your post is laughable, at best. Call me any kind of sympathizer you want. What you wrote does not hold water.

The media plays a vital and pivotal role in any free society. The more reporters and camera crews, the better. The more coverage, the better. Only the media have the potential capacity to present an objective viewpoint, whether critical of one side or the other. The truth shall set you free, as they say. And so the media is an institution that must always be allowed free access. Wherever coverage is somehow muffled or discouraged, are the very areas where the media must focus with utmost perseverance and diligence.

• Like 1

The media plays a vital and pivotal role in any free society. The more reporters and camera crews, the better. The more coverage, the better. Only the media have the potential capacity to present an objective viewpoint, whether critical of one side or the other. The truth shall set you free, as they say. And so the media is an institution that must always be allowed free access. Wherever coverage is somehow muffled or discouraged, are the very areas where the media must focus with utmost perseverance and diligence.

Yeah but the problem is that Suthep and his followers beat the reporters on site who "do not report the truth", especially international reporters...i wonder why...

The police should be following orders and I suspect using a slingshot wasn't one of them Other than that it looks like the police did as good a job as can be expected under the circumstances. Not following orders in 2010 was the cause of at least some of the deaths at the hands of the army. Of course the government aren't pursuing them. Unfortunately whenever you get a peaceful protest you will get some who are intent on violence and there's little any leader an do to stop it. It happens on both sides and wherever in the world you are, only the response is different.

In 2010 the same thing happened although in that case there was open incitement by the leaders. Away from the protests there isn't so much anger. I live in Isaan surrounded by redshirts including my bil. My wife works in a government office and most are anti government including her but there were 2 who were red supporters although I only found out when I was told. Neither are likely to be violent. One of them left recently but another came in but there's no animosity.