Protest leader strengthens readiness for 'Bangkok Shutdown' action

webfact

Protest leader strengthens readiness for 'Bangkok shutdown' action
By Digital Content

13889754032237-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 6 – Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban will lead another city march tomorrow to urge Bangkok people to jointly seize the capital on Jan 13 in an escalated pressure against the embattled government.

He said the Tuesday walk will be on the Thonburi side of the capital.

Mr Suthep marched with leaders of the anti-government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) and rank-and-file protesters for 7.5km in inner areas of Bangkok yesterday.

He was greeted by people on both sides of the streets, many of whom directly handed cash to him to financially support the demonstrations, which began October 31. Mr Suthep said yesterday’s donations totalled Bt1.78 million.

He brushed aside a statement by National Security Council secretary general Paradorn Pattanatabut who said Bangkokians are displeased with the demonstrations and will join together to chase out the protesters.

“Let’s wait until January 13 to see the support from Bangkok people in wiping the Thaksin regime out of the Thai kingdom,” said Mr Suthep.

The PDRC has set January 13 to seize Bangkok and paralyse at least 20major streets and intersections in the heart of the city.

Mr Suthep categorically rejected an allegation by Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap who said drugs would be used to stimulate anti-government protesters, saying they have been fighting with their hearts and courage.

He also ruled out Mr Anudith’s claim that farmers who have been suffering from falling prices of agricultural produce would be encouraged to join the January 13 massive protests without any knowledge about the PDRC’s attempt to remove the caretaker prime minister.

He added, “Some people said they could join the demonstration for only one day, and not more. I told them that we can no longer tolerate the Thaksin regime. I strongly believe that people will eventually win and we will not retreat.

“I will stand side by side with the people until the final day. If I’m left alone and have to walk into prison, that’s all right. However, I know that people are ready to fight with me and will never leave me.” (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-06

• Like 1

Suthep says CAPO’s drug and gun allegations “a lie”

1-5-2014-8-15-38-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban denied allegations by the Center for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) against anti-government protesters of using drugs and stockpiling ammunition “a lie”

Speaking to over 10,000 of protesters at the Democracy Monument, the secretary-general of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) said allegations by the caretaker Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap in a live address on TV Pool was a lie and intended merely to use as an excuse to declare state of emergency to disperse protesters by force.

The caretaker minister said officials have information that some protesters have purchases a large amount of cartridges to use with the guns they had stolen from police vehicles during the fierce clashes on December 25 at Thai-Japan youth centre at Din Daeng.

He said the government was worried that there might be “third party” with ill-intention attempting to cause violence and blame it on the police r the protesters, citing as reason that the police had already arrested some people with guns and bombs who confessed to being hired to create troubles.

The caretaker minister also claimed that security officials have information that some protesters had taken drugs to stimulate their courage to incite violence.

But the PDRC leader denied all the caretaker minister’s allegations saying it was merely portrayed protesters as bad guys so that it could be used as an excuse to declare state of emergency and suppress the protesters.

Suthep described the allegations as invented stories and was intended to distort the truth and to smear the protesters that they were armed, dangerous and non-peaceful.

Instead, he said, protesters are good guys unlike protests by the red-shirt people.

He also confirmed the January 13 Bangkok shutdown but would like it to make clear that it was not a total shutdown as public transport will be in services.

Other PDRC leaders, meanwhile, said they preferred the “Shutdown Bangkok” to be called “Occupy Bangkok” as not all activities will be shut down but remain open as usual with the exception of government offices , and houses of caretaker prime minister and all her cabinet ministers.

Power and water supplies to their places and houses will be shut down, they said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-says-capos-drug-gun-allegations-lie/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-06

• Like 1

I reckon that 13/1 will see lots of people in the streets.

The real question is - how many will remain after midnight on 13/1? i.e. how many will camp out in the streets at the 7 (or is it 20) new protest locations?

For BKKers: marching for 4 hours one day - no problem.
: join the crowd at Democracy Monument for 3 hours after work, once a week - no problem

: skip work for 1 day on 13/1 to block streets - no problem.

But asking BKKers to man the >7 blockades overnight .... well, perhaps we'll leave that burden to the hardy visitors from the South, who have no homes in BKK anyway.

It would need 500 happy campers per blockade site. So that's 4k to10k people in all to do the night shift.

For the guards - need 40 per site. So 300 to 800 guards overnight.

I worry that this means that the night-time danger areas will increase from 1 (Ratchadamnern Avenue) to 7-or-20 locations, which is a nightmare.

• Like 2

My impression is there will be a huge turnout on the 13th. So huge that tv footage will show enough to deny any government/CAPO propaganda beyond all doubt.

Don't worry government/CAPO are very good in fooling people especially the northern audiences. They have years of experience of doing so! Money can make the world go roundw00t.gif

My impression is there will be a huge turnout on the 13th. So huge that tv footage will show enough to deny any government/CAPO propaganda beyond all doubt.

Don't worry government/CAPO are very good in fooling people especially the northern audiences. They have years of experience of doing so! Money can make the world go roundw00t.gif

You're probably right, yet the massive support against the amnesty bill gives hope that the people in the north will start seeing some more of the nature of the beast.

You're probably right, yet the massive support against the amnesty bill gives hope that the people in the north will start seeing some more of the nature of the beast.

The support is so massive, why is Suthep so afraid to go into a sure win election?

I think because there is no chance of the reds losing the election. Yingluck stated about a month ago that they will continue the rice scheme for two more years. That costs the country over 12 billion usd. It will surely give her almost all votes in the north. Indirectly is the biggestvote-buying scheme ever.

The massive support was against the amnesty bill. The government dropped that bill, so most reds can be red again.

Edited by EricBerg
  • Like 1

I just have a question. Is it not against the law to prevent poeple from going to and home from work? And stopping the government from performing their duties in these offices that are their to help the community? And are we going to go back to 1991 when the country was ruled by the military? Or are we going to be ruled like North Korea?

• Like 1

AS the Yanks once said before being totally wiped out, "Remember the Alamo"

I think that was after they were wiped out.

" People worldwide continue to remember the Alamo as a heroic struggle against impossible odds (1836)— a place where men made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom. For this reason, the Alamo remains hallowed ground and the Shrine of Texas Liberty." People from the north were called yanks after the civil war in 1865.

I hope the Thai people do not have to make an ultimate sacrifice to find their democracy. Ninety people died during the last big protest - let them spill something other than blood.

Edited by CIHUAHUA

The support is so massive, why is Suthep so afraid to go into a sure win election?

I believe that although the majority supports the removal of the Thaksin Regime(s),

Suthep's supporters are minimal. Not enough to win an election.

• Like 2

for #@@#$ sake because elections cannot be free and fair when bought or bullied by Taksins cronies

Nobody with any credibility at all has suggested that the most recent elections were not conducted fairly.

Do you have one source? Even one link to any organization, international or otherwise, that even vaguely suggests the elections were stolen? That PT did not win fairly?

Just one will do!

Because if you don't, one has to wonder how you can be so sure of it.

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 2

Suthep says CAPO’s drug and gun allegations “a lie”

1-5-2014-8-15-38-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban denied allegations by the Center for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) against anti-government protesters of using drugs and stockpiling ammunition “a lie”

Speaking to over 10,000 of protesters at the Democracy Monument, the secretary-general of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) said allegations by the caretaker Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap in a live address on TV Pool was a lie and intended merely to use as an excuse to declare state of emergency to disperse protesters by force.

The caretaker minister said officials have information that some protesters have purchases a large amount of cartridges to use with the guns they had stolen from police vehicles during the fierce clashes on December 25 at Thai-Japan youth centre at Din Daeng.

He said the government was worried that there might be “third party” with ill-intention attempting to cause violence and blame it on the police r the protesters, citing as reason that the police had already arrested some people with guns and bombs who confessed to being hired to create troubles.

The caretaker minister also claimed that security officials have information that some protesters had taken drugs to stimulate their courage to incite violence.

But the PDRC leader denied all the caretaker minister’s allegations saying it was merely portrayed protesters as bad guys so that it could be used as an excuse to declare state of emergency and suppress the protesters.

Suthep described the allegations as invented stories and was intended to distort the truth and to smear the protesters that they were armed, dangerous and non-peaceful.

Instead, he said, protesters are good guys unlike protests by the red-shirt people.

He also confirmed the January 13 Bangkok shutdown but would like it to make clear that it was not a total shutdown as public transport will be in services.

Other PDRC leaders, meanwhile, said they preferred the “Shutdown Bangkok” to be called “Occupy Bangkok” as not all activities will be shut down but remain open as usual with the exception of government offices , and houses of caretaker prime minister and all her cabinet ministers.

Power and water supplies to their places and houses will be shut down, they said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-says-capos-drug-gun-allegations-lie/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-01-06

Have we not been hearing this for months now. BORING! The Government is holding, the so called farcical election is coming and no one has walked to prison and no millions have joined.

I do despise how the PEOPLE are being treated by BOTH sides but all this rubbish spewing from these dickheads?

I reckon that 13/1 will see lots of people in the streets.

The real question is - how many will remain after midnight on 13/1? i.e. how many will camp out in the streets at the 7 (or is it 20) new protest locations?

For BKKers: marching for 4 hours one day - no problem.

: join the crowd at Democracy Monument for 3 hours after work, once a week - no problem

: skip work for 1 day on 13/1 to block streets - no problem.

But asking BKKers to man the >7 blockades overnight .... well, perhaps we'll leave that burden to the hardy visitors from the South, who have no homes in BKK anyway.

It would need 500 happy campers per blockade site. So that's 4k to10k people in all to do the night shift.

For the guards - need 40 per site. So 300 to 800 guards overnight.

I worry that this means that the night-time danger areas will increase from 1 (Ratchadamnern Avenue) to 7-or-20 locations, which is a nightmare.

As long as there are noodle soups and FACEBOOK all will be Ok and people will attend

I think because there is no chance of the reds losing the election. Yingluck stated about a month ago that they will continue the rice scheme for two more years. That costs the country over 12 billion usd. It will surely give her almost all votes in the north. Indirectly is the biggestvote-buying scheme ever.

The massive support was against the amnesty bill. The government dropped that bill, so most reds can be red again.

And as the GOVERNMENT can borrow from overseas the votes are assured and payment to voters is assured. Remember she said THIS GOVERNMENT WILL NOT bring back the amnesty bill. We are looking at a new government .... and the return of the bill one way or another.

I just have a question. Is it not against the law to prevent poeple from going to and home from work? And stopping the government from performing their duties in these offices that are their to help the community? And are we going to go back to 1991 when the country was ruled by the military? Or are we going to be ruled like North Korea?

I recently was in BKK and people are all stating a NEW BREED of politicians is what they want. They are looking to Suthep to START the process not to take over the process so we may have interesting times happening. LET US HOPE and pray the people get a decent system commencing as remember Rome was NOT built in a day.

• Like 1

for #@@#$ sake because elections cannot be free and fair when bought or bullied by Taksins cronies

Nobody with any credibility at all has suggested that the most recent elections were not conducted fairly.

Do you have one source? Even one link to any organization, international or otherwise, that even vaguely suggests the elections were stolen? That PT did not win fairly?

Just one will do!

Do you get out and speak to people or do you sit behind a computer all day? EVERY PERSON i speak to in passing states they recieved hand outs and CASH for their votes. My mates girlfriend sasy the Red shirt leaders in the village LOOK at all voting on the day to ensure the money was well spent.

er you and your CREDIBLE sources as NEWSPAPERS are credible are they? My god I am in pain with laughter! People themselves and THEIR stories are credible sources Sir!

bugg

Just one will do!

BlueSky Channel said so.

Is that not good enough?

• Like 2

"AS the Yanks once said before being totally wiped out, "Remember the Alamo" "

Okay, a little bit of correction: You call a Texan a Yank and he may probably want to give you a good crack in the jaw at least, and back in those days, who knows what? The US citizens that were at the Alamo were expats, unless they naturalized. Texas was part of Mexico. Yes they got wiped out (187 vs 5000 not good odds), but delayed Santa Ana long enough for Sam Houston to get his forces together and beat the Mexican army. Texas became an independent country for some time, and that is why it is the "lone star state" as was on it's flag.

I don't think the analogy is quite right. The army is more owned by the yellow group than the red, and this would be like Santa Anas army fighting itself. But the army has been smart enough not to show it's hand, as it seems there are a few bright lights there that do not wish to see Thailand go the way of civil war.

• Like 1

Just one will do!

BlueSky Channel said so.

Is that not good enough?

I like your sarcasm - brings a smile to my face.

In the US, we had Fox News, which I thought was hilariously terrible. So many times I had to field questions from visitors from the UK (weaned on the Beeb) who could not believe the propaganda on Fox.

But Thailand's BlueSky .... BlueSky can teach Fox News something about being Biased.

• Like 1