Dual citizenship for Irish born child

Irlguy, I was in a similar situation (son born in Ireland to Thai mother etc) and was presented with the Thai embassy in London problem. Here's what my wife and I did, though note we are based here in Thailand.

I took my son's Irish birth cert to the Irish embassy in Bangkok and had it certified (got it the following day) and then took that to the Thai Ministry of Foregin Affairs in Cheang Wattana and had it stamped there too. After that my wife took it to her local Amphur (along with marriage certs etc) and had his Thai ID card / Thai citizenship issued which enabled us to go for his passport. Had a delay with the Amphur initially but once cleared up everything was sorted in a few days. Maybe this is an option for you when you come here, your son can travel in on his Irish passport.

Paddy

• Like 2

I should add we were told that only the Thai Embassy in London would issue Birth Certs for children born in Ireland, however the local Amphur can do it once you provide all the right paperwork, as is always the case here though it seems different Amphurs have different opinons on what documentaion is required so you need to have everything ready when you go.

I should add we were told that only the Thai Embassy in London would issue Birth Certs for children born in Ireland, however the local Amphur can do it once you provide all the right paperwork, as is always the case here though it seems different Amphurs have different opinons on what documentaion is required so you need to have everything ready when you go.

Only the local amphur for the district where the child is born can issue the birth certificate. For a child born abroad that will be the embassy for the county the child was born in.

There is the option for applying for the birth certificate in Thailand, but than the application goes through the Thai foreign office, consular department. They will check the application and send it to the Thai embassy in London, who will than issue the birth certificate and you get it through the Thai consular department.

• Like 1

Does anyone else here think it's ridiculous how hard it is to get my son his god and Buddha given right to his citizenship ? sad.png

Thanks guys for all the help so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The irony of all of this is Thai passports are actually quite simple and quick to issue and probably one of the best government services you'll find anywhere - in the world.

This is all moot for you given that Thailand doesn't have full simplistic representation in the Republic.

The best advice is simply for you child to travel to Thailand on his Irish passport. Once there you'll need to add his name to the house registration (tabieen baan) and if he is 7 years or older get him and ID card. You can then take him to the Thai passport office and the passport will be issued quickly in three days.

Note, as your child entered Thailand on the Irish passport he'll have to depart on it, but for subsequent trips he can use the Thai passport.

As I've already said you might be in luck and the mobile passport office from the RTE in London might be coming to Dublin before you depart, so best check with them.

Having been through the process for myself in the past I can guarantee it isn't painful, and the passport surprisingly efficient.

I was told by the LA consulate that thai birth certificate can not be issued from within Thailand if the baby was born outside of Thailand. They said to apply for Thai birth certificate (After certifying, notarizing and stamping the original birth certificate) from outside of Thailand first.

How is it you can get on the household registration if the baby was born outside of Thailand but does not have a Thai birth certificate?

Edited by Time Traveller

Take your son to Thailand on his Irish passport and apply for a Thai citizenship / passport in Thailand.

five years ago my daughter (born in UK) requested a one month visa extension (she was 17 at the time) at Jomtien immigration office. The officer told her to go to Cambodia for the day, then as we were leaving he told her she could have a Thai passport.

We did the majority of the documentation in Thailand over two years as we visited for vacations, it is probably alot easier to do in Thailand. She received her ID card in Thailand and then used it to get a passport issued in London

We were also told that the cut-off age was 19 ?

Take your son to Thailand on his Irish passport and apply for a Thai citizenship / passport in Thailand.

five years ago my daughter (born in UK) requested a one month visa extension (she was 17 at the time) at Jomtien immigration office. The officer told her to go to Cambodia for the day, then as we were leaving he told her she could have a Thai passport.

We did the majority of the documentation in Thailand over two years as we visited for vacations, it is probably alot easier to do in Thailand. She received her ID card in Thailand and then used it to get a passport issued in London

We were also told that the cut-off age was 19 ?

Urban myth. No such thing as a cut off age under Thai nationality law. I also got my Thai BC and PP around the same age.

Does anyone else here think it's ridiculous how hard it is to get my son his god and Buddha given right to his citizenship ? sad.png

The irony of all of this is Thai passports are actually quite simple and quick to issue and probably one of the best government services you'll find anywhere - in the world.

This is all moot for you given that Thailand doesn't have full simplistic representation in the Republic.

The best advice is simply for you child to travel to Thailand on his Irish passport. Once there you'll need to add his name to the house registration (tabieen baan) and if he is 7 years or older get him and ID card. You can then take him to the Thai passport office and the passport will be issued quickly in three days.

Note, as your child entered Thailand on the Irish passport he'll have to depart on it, but for subsequent trips he can use the Thai passport.

As I've already said you might be in luck and the mobile passport office from the RTE in London might be coming to Dublin before you depart, so best check with them.

Having been through the process for myself in the past I can guarantee it isn't painful, and the passport surprisingly efficient.

I was told by the LA consulate that thai birth certificate can not be issued from within Thailand if the baby was born outside of Thailand. They said to apply for Thai birth certificate (After certifying, notarizing and stamping the original birth certificate) from outside of Thailand first.

How is it you can get on the household registration if the baby was born outside of Thailand but does not have a Thai birth certificate?

They are correct. In fact, a Thai BC issued to a national born outside of Thailand looks totally different to the one issued inside of Thailand.

What we are talking about here is something slightly different. The department of consular affairs at the MOFA at Chaeng Wattana have set up a service to liase with the responsible embassy to issue a BC for the child. The Dept acts sort of like a 'front desk' checking to see all the paperwork is in order, and given they are a Thai government department, effectively vet and approve it. It is then sent off to the responsible embassy to issue the birth certificate for overseas born Thai's.

Given the responsible Thai embassy may be in another country from where they were born (like in the case for the OP, born in Ireland, RTE in London), this is sometimes the best solution. Not ideal, but a way around things...

Edited by samran

My ten sense worth my Daughter is Thai rish also but born and lives in Thailand, I went to the Irish Consulate in BKK to get her Irish passport and was advised to get the Thai Passport first as if she has an Irish first the Thai passport office can be funny about duel citizenship.

My ten sense worth my Daughter is Thai rish also but born and lives in Thailand, I went to the Irish Consulate in BKK to get her Irish passport and was advised to get the Thai Passport first as if she has an Irish first the Thai passport office can be funny about duel citizenship.

You were given wrong advise.

If you were to think about it a bit the question would arise as to how the Thai passport office would know about her Irish passport.

Thailand has no laws or rules that prohibit dual nationality.

If you were to think about it a bit the question would arise as to how the Thai passport office would know about her Irish passport.

Perhaps you are correct but never the less it is the advice I received along with that it was said the Thai's frown upon duel citizenship / duel passports. So we will get her a Thai passport first then the Irish just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the advice

Perhaps you are correct but never the less it is the advice I received along with that it was said the Thai's frown upon duel citizenship / duel passports. So we will get her a Thai passport first then the Irish just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the advice

I have to agree that your were given wrong advice. We have been on to our Thai solicitor and a few friends in Thailand and the embassy in London and there is absolutely no issue with dual nationality.

The only problem is getting to the relevant areas to do paperwork.

The Royal Thailand Embassy London is quit helpful:

Register a Birth (Thai Birth Certificate)

1. Register a Birth

1. Birth certificate registeration does not require an appoinment,however,if you wish to apply for an e-passport for your child on the same day an appointment is required.

2. The child, father and mother are required in person at Royal Thai Embassy, London.

3. To register for a Thai birth certificate, the child has to have been born in the UK/Ireland and

have a UK/Ireland Full Birth Certificate.

4. Registrations of births are free of charge.

Remarks: If the child was born before 1st March, 1992 (B.E. 2535), please see 3.4

2. Application Forms

1. A fully-completed Birth Certificate form; sample of Birth Certificate form

If applying for a passport for your child on the same day as registering the birth, additional forms below are required;

2. Form1 Request for a new e-passport Sample Form1

3. Form2 Investigation (application information) Sample Form2

3. Required Documents

3.1 If the childs parents are married.

1. A recent (2 x2 inches) photograph of the child

2. A photocopy of UK/Irish Full Birth Certificate.

3. A photocopy of Parents' Marriage Certificate.

4. A photocopy of Parents Valid Passports.

5. A photocopy of Parents Thai Identity Cards or Thai House Registration.

Remarks: If wishing to apply for an e-passport for the child on the same day, please prepare 2 copies of all the above document.

HMMM - Seems more complicated than doing it in Thailand - requires the same paperwork, but usually done in one visit and passport can be done without an appointment, but does take most of the day.

A friend's 28 year old son son applied (born in Texas - speaks no Thai) and had his ID & Passport within a couple of weeks.

Talking the family to the uk is a terrible option. For a start they will need a uk visa just to get there.

As your son is Irish then like you he can travel freely to the UK. You don't even need passports, just photo ID showing you are Irish citizens.

As your wife is the wife of an EEA national then she can get a free EEA family permit to enter the UK; provided she is travelling with or to join you. Unless you are a dual Irish/British national.

The latest figures (November) show that 88% of EEA family permits in Dublin were issued within 3 working days, 98% within 5 working days and 100% within 10 working days.

That sounds like good solid advice.

I wonder if you are also able to advise the OP how he/his wife apply and what paperwork is required ?

Edited by ubonjoe
delted duplicate quote
  • Like 1

Agree its a hassle, but once its done its done. Be patient and dont let the buggers get you down.

Edited by Hugh Jarse
  • Like 1