Immigration services at Cheang Wattana now suspended

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also - forgot to put in my 1st post - from info provide at a different Immigration topic here, I downloaded and filled out the form to transfer a stamp, I had original + copy of US Embassy letter requesting they transfer stamps + I had copied all the relevant pages from old & new passport.

Two questions: What is the embassy letter for? I was told on a different string that to transfer stamps to a new passport all you have to do is go to Immigration and ask them to do it. Second, can you please direct me to the form? I wasn't aware of that either. By the way the stamps I'd be transferring are extension of stay (retirement) and multiple re-entry permit.

Thanks,

TG

Has anybody been to the Major Hollywood place this week? I have to go for a retirement extension in the next few days. I was at the Lad Phrao office on December 2 and it was a madhouse. I would really rather avoid going there again if possible. I was hoping to be able to read some reports here on the situation at the other temporary office. Also any tips on how to get there from the Sathorn area?

Has anybody been to the Major Hollywood place this week? I have to go for a retirement extension in the next few days. I was at the Lad Phrao office on December 2 and it was a madhouse. I would really rather avoid going there again if possible. I was hoping to be able to read some reports here on the situation at the other temporary office. Also any tips on how to get there from the Sathorn area?

Also - forgot to put in my 1st post - from info provide at a different Immigration topic here, I downloaded and filled out the form to transfer a stamp, I had original + copy of US Embassy letter requesting they transfer stamps + I had copied all the relevant pages from old & new passport.

Two questions: What is the embassy letter for? I was told on a different string that to transfer stamps to a new passport all you have to do is go to Immigration and ask them to do it. Second, can you please direct me to the form? I wasn't aware of that either. By the way the stamps I'd be transferring are extension of stay (retirement) and multiple re-entry permit.

Thanks,

TG

You don't download or fill-in the U.S. Consulate form letter to Thai Immigration that's given when you get a new passport. The Consulate gives it to you when they hand over the new passport.

It's just a brief single page note with nothing on it unique to you other than a handwritten date for when your new passport was issued. The purpose, I'd assume, is just to document that the new passport you're giving to Thai Immigration was in fact issued by the U.S. Consulate.

Thai Immigration WILL ask you for the Consulate letter when you go to transfer your stamps from an old passport to a new one. So make sure to bring it along with the correct Thai Immigration TM application form to request transfer of stamps into a new passport.

I did exactly the same transfer earlier this year. There's no fee at Immigration for doing so. But, make sure you get to Immigration BEFORE the expire date of your old passport. Otherwise, any stamps in the old passport will be considered invalid, and you'll have to re-apply for everything.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thanks,

TG

You don't state your nationality, but, if British, you will need to request this letter from the Embassy (specimen example attached) since HMPO won't provide any covering letter when sending you your new passport from the UK.

The form you need to complete for Immigration is the unnumbered one titled "Transfer Stamps To New Passport Form" downloadable via the link in the pinned topic titled "Immigration Templates".

post-63387-0-74846000-1389845384_thumb.j

I hope this isn't off-topic: because of the shutdown at Cheang Wattana, the Thai passport office in Pattaya is closed. Cannot access the Bangkok data center. I'm guessing this applies to all passport branch offices.

All provincial passport offices are closed.

The Bangna office is still open.

Thanks,

TG

... Thai Immigration WILL ask you for the Consulate letter when you go to transfer your stamps from an old passport to a new one. So make sure to bring it along with the correct Thai Immigration TM application form to request transfer of stamps into a new passport. ...

Thanks. I'm Canadian by the way. I take it you're talking about the situation where you get your new passport from an embassy/consulate in Thailand. My plan is to get my new one on a visit to Canada this year. Do you know whether I would still need some kind of letter? I doubt the Canadian Immigration office back home would provide one (and I must say the letter requirement doesn't really make sense to me even in the situation where you get the passport here in Thailand. After all,Thai Immigration is presented all the time with passports and has to decide from their face whether they are authentic. A consulate letter would be a lot easier to fake than a passport so I wonder what extra comfort it gives them).

Yes, I was talking about getting the Consulate letter here in Thailand when getting a new passport here.

Since it's only one's visa or extension of stay and re-entry stamps that need to be transferred over, presumably Thai Immigration does more of their business with transferring stamps for new passports issued here in Thailand.

I can't speak to why they have the Consulate letter requirement, other than my guess above. Nor can I speak to how the process works if someone with those kinds of stamps ends up getting a new passport in their home country.

Here is a report for doing a 90 day report there: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694780-90-day-reporting-at-major-hollywood-phrapradaeng-bkk/

You can take the sky train Silom line to the last stop and then get a taxi from there. Looking at map it does not appear to be that far from there.

Thanks, but that was posted while the Chaeng Wattana office was still open. I am wondering if it is still civilized there.

I think the closest BTS is Wongwian Yai (looking at the same map, I expect), but that is still about 10 km away.

It seems most people are going to Lad Phrao so it might be ok.

I would give it a try rather than going all the way to Lad Phrao from where you are located. To me 10k is not all that far.

Agree. It is also quite easy to get there from the expressway. Over the Rama 9 bridge then take the Suksawat exit.

I took a friend to Imperial World Lad Prao that had accidently overstayed by a day. The OP here described it quite accurately as a "nuthouse" so I would travel quite far to avoid that place.

I just went to the Immigration Service Center on Suksawat Road (Major Hollywood) this morning. I had to get my 1 year extension based on Thai wife after the one month under consideration period was over. I had copies of all my original paperwork and other supporting documents in case there was any issue. I walked up to the queue table and they directed me to the Non-Imm "O" desk where they only took my passport and gave me a queue ticket. After about 15 minutes I was handed back my passport with the extension of stay stamp. I was impressed on how fast it all was. I was concerned that there would be some issue with the under consideration stamp done at CW and getting the extension of stay stamp at a different office but it all went very smoothly. I guess they do have a good system.

Then I decided to be brave and get my re-entry permit done. I filled out the TM8 form (requires a passport sized photo) and then copied my passport photo page, the TM6 form and the newly stamped extension of stay passport page. There are two photocopies shops right next to the immigration area. I was charged 2 Baht a photocopy. I then went back to the queue table. The officer looked at my paperwork, complained about the size of my photo (too long) and they gave me a queue ticket for area "D". I went to area "D" and waited about 5 minutes before I was called. Then I handed them my passport, TM8 form, photocopies and 3800 Baht (cost for multiple re-entry permit). The officer went through the photocopies and passport then told me to wait. I waited about 25 to 30 minutes and then was called up to get my passport with the re-entry permit stamped and a receipt for the 3800 Baht.

The queue table is right outside of the main immigration area and the staff are friendly and helpful. There wasn't that many people as compared to CW. Since this Immigration Service Center is closer for me, I wish they would make it a permanent place to get my visa/extension of stay done. At least I can go there for the 90 day reporting. That line didn't look too bad either.

As there isn't any BTS, MRT or BRT stations close by, I would suggest to go by car/taxi. I drove there with my wife and it wasn't too hard to get to. I am not sure of what bus line would get you there. It might require a bus change or two.

Edited by Silurian

If you're coming from Silom, there's no need to take the BTS to Wong Wien Yai Station. You can just take a taxi and tell the driver you're going to Suksawad Rd., but would like to get there by going through Narathiwas Rd. - heading towards Rama 3. It would take about 20 minutes if there's no traffic jam along the way.

I just went to the Immigration Service Center on Suksawat Road (Major Hollywood) this morning. I had to get my 1 year extension based on Thai wife after the one month under consideration period was over. I had copies of all my original paperwork and other supporting documents in case there was any issue. I walked up to the queue table and they directed me to the Non-Imm "O" desk where they only took my passport and gave me a queue ticket. After about 15 minutes I was handed back my passport with the extension of stay stamp. I was impressed on how fast it all was. I was concerned that there would be some issue with the under consideration stamp done at CW and getting the extension of stay stamp at a different office but it all went very smoothly. I guess they do have a good system.

Then I decided to be brave and get my re-entry permit done. I filled out the TM8 form (requires a passport sized photo) and then copied my passport photo page, the TM6 form and the newly stamped extension of stay passport page. There are two photocopies shops right next to the immigration area. I was charged 2 Baht a photocopy. I then went back to the queue table. The officer looked at my paperwork, complained about the size of my photo (too long) and they gave me a queue ticket for area "D". I went to area "D" and waited about 5 minutes before I was called. Then I handed them my passport, TM8 form, photocopies and 3800 Baht (cost for multiple re-entry permit). The officer went through the photocopies and passport then told me to wait. I waited about 25 to 30 minutes and then was called up to get my passport with the re-entry permit stamped and a receipt for the 3800 Baht.

The queue table is right outside of the main immigration area and the staff are friendly and helpful. There wasn't that many people as compared to CW. Since this Immigration Service Center is closer for me, I wish they would make it a permanent place to get my visa/extension of stay done. At least I can go there for the 90 day reporting. That line didn't look too bad either.

As there isn't any BTS, MRT or BRT stations close by, I would suggest to go by car/taxi. I drove there with my wife and it wasn't too hard to get to. I am not sure of what bus line would get you there. It might require a bus change or two.

Bus 35 from Robinson Bangrak. There're others, but I've forgotten the numbers.

Ok I checked the EMS site today for my report sent on the 13th.All it says is "out for delivery" since yesterday. Crap.post-22149-13898791713607_thumb.jpg

I hope this doesn't include mailing in my 90 day report as I just sent that in today! The date on my receipt is Feb 6 so I'm plenty early, but I just saw a Richard Barrow Tweet RE: this same announcement about actually going to CW. I live in BKK so CW is where I send my reports to under normal circumstances.
Has EMS tracking yet indicated whether or not your 90-day report has been safely delivered at CW?
Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks,

TG

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Hey Roberta, I went there yesterday and everything was running smoothly, that location is far from everything and there were no ques. I managed to extend my non O and update address within 2 hrs

Just to note the office is on the bottom floor at the back of the building next to the carpark, cinemas on the 2nd floor. Just say DOOR MOOR to any of the security guys and they will direct you

Cheers

I have got my extension, reentry permit and also done 90-days report at Suksawat in total less then 1 1/2 hours today.

From Sathorn get on the highway over Rama9-Bridge exit Suksawat. The Major Hollywood is located right hand after about 1 km.

I went to the office at Major Hollywood, Suksawat today for retirement extension of non-O, and re-entry permit. I am pleased to report that the office was quiet and orderly, lines were short, and the staff relaxed and friendly. I traveled by taxi from Robinson, Bang Rak, via the Rama 9 bridge, and the fare was 110-120 baht, . Compared with the nightmare at Lad Phrao, this place was a real pleasure to visit.

There was one new requirement I have not heard of before. In addition to the bank letter I provided, and my bank account passbook, I was required to go to a nearby ATM, make a withdrawal (100 baht was suggested), and then bring the ATM transaction slip (showing my account balance), plus a copy of same back to the counter. No problem, and easily done, but passbook, letter and now this as well?

• Like 1

Most immigration offices want the bank book to be updated on date you apply or as in your case a ATM slip will do.

Yes, for sure they do, and I had already done that, at the same time as getting the bank letter, on the morning of the same day, about 2 hours before I arrived at the office and made the application. So they had my passbook updated and the letter, both current as of the same day. This was a third piece of evidence they required.

Will be making my first 90 day report in person at the temporary Lad Phrao location.

Am I getting this right for filing the report in person: It's form tm.47? A completely filled in tm.47 form is sufficient? You do not need to provide photocopies of following?

Photocopy of passport pages with following pages
- front page showing name / surname / Passport No., ect.
- current visa
- last entry stamp of immigration
- last extension of visa

Photocopy of departure card TM.6

thanks in advance a reply.

There was one new requirement I have not heard of before. In addition to the bank letter I provided, and my bank account passbook, I was required to go to a nearby ATM, make a withdrawal (100 baht was suggested), and then bring the ATM transaction slip (showing my account balance), plus a copy of same back to the counter. No problem, and easily done, but passbook, letter and now this as well?

When you got your bank book updated, did it show a transaction on that day? Even if your book is updated on the day you go to Immigration, if there was no transaction that day they may insist on you doing something (e. g. withdrawal) so they can see an entry and new balance for that very day. Doesn't seem to make any sense but they asked me for that too. So it's good to always make a withdrawal at an ATM immediately before getting your book updated on the day you apply.

Just returned from filing my 90 day report at the Immigration Center 3 on Lad Phrao Road, 5th floor at the back of the Big C building. Pleasantly surprised. It's easy to reach if you take the MRT to the Lad Phrao station and then catch a bus, 8 baht, or a taxi, estimated 50 baht, straight down Lad Phrao in the direction of increasing soi numbers. I think Big C is about soi 65.

They are at full tilt operations there, convenient signs to guide you to the counter of your concern. After checking at the preliminary counter with your paperwork they assign you a number and range of windows, you enter a room with window bays and the familiar call number system in lights. I waited about 3 minutes for my number to come up on the board and the woman entered all the data and gave me back a stamped receipt with next reporting date. Couldn't of been easier.

It took more time going up and down the elevators (a tad slow those old elevators) than it did for the whole process of finding the location, reporting and a receiving a receipt.

It is form TM.47 for filing the report and only one completed page required, no duplicates or passport copies etcetera required if filing in person.

Beautiful day on Lad Phrao, you'll be glad you went if you need a respite from the crazy. Election posters hanging from poles all along the ways, Respect My Vote Banners on bridges, happy people and not one person sighted wearing a f**king whistle or the old red, white and blue code for anti-government. Fall in love with Bangkok again, visit the Immigration Center on Lad Phrao :-).