Thaksin 'urges Yingluck to stay' as Prayuth demurs

webfact

I just find it odd/amusing/ironic that a telecommunications magnate resorts to Skyping the prime minister of a country just like some of us Cheap Charleys have to do out of necessity.

For some reason it also further weakens the credibility of the account IMHO.

Sent from my tin can via string

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't former-PM Thaksin also resign his caretaker-PM position, and go off on holiday, after the April-2006 election ?

Only to come back and resume the role, a couple of weeks later.

But now the Constitution doesn't allow his sister to do the same thing ?

Of course it's a slightly-modified Constitution, under which she operates, not the older Thaksin-era one.

• Like 1

I find it very difficult to believe that the rest of the world would accept Yingluck being held accountable if "something happens". What kind of rubbish is this? Thailand would become (even more of) an international laughing stock in the event that an elected PM is held responsible for the actions of anti-democratic street thugs. That would lead to sanctions, trade embargoes, investors fleeing the country, ASEAN intervention. It's complete rubbish. Classics case of blaming the victim.

It really is audacious of the general to tell the elected leader that she would be held responsible.

Think the source of the source maybe full of SAUCE himself. This exchange never happened. Hello, if it indeed did, the Army would have jumped all over it, remember he doesnt exactly like Thaksin and Yingluk....

Many people would say that what The Nation offers as fact would be veiwed by more crdible media sources as rumour, gossip, innuendo....offering one-sided, juvenile 'analysis' and presenting simplistic answers to complex questions.I no longer buy it.
maybe you think the fact that your Taksin tells Young sibling what she should/must do shouldnt be public knowledge? As if we didnt know. Any election is going to be null & void so keep hoping.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I hope once they do win this revolution, and they will, let's not fool ourselves. They will arrest her, and key members of her government and lock them up for a very long time. Reform the judiciary and give a mandatory 10 year minimum jail term for political corruption with no pardon or time off and strip them of every baht and assets in their and their families names..... Then sentence them.

A firing squad would be preferable, but this should serve equally to remove any future desire of Thaksin to want to put any of his friends and family into Thai politics in the future... destroying the cancer once and for all.

yes, poisonous
  • Like 1

I find it very difficult to believe that the rest of the world would accept Yingluck being held accountable if "something happens". What kind of rubbish is this? Thailand would become (even more of) an international laughing stock in the event that an elected PM is held responsible for the actions of anti-democratic street thugs. That would lead to sanctions, trade embargoes, investors fleeing the country, ASEAN intervention. It's complete rubbish. Classics case of blaming the victim.

It really is audacious of the general to tell the elected leader that she would be held responsible.

Read the article again, it says that she asked the general for his recommendation.....

What is Thaksin saying?

"Thaksin, who said the Constitution did not allow her to resign, according to the sources."

Well this is imply not true. Yingluck has the right to resign at anytime and would face no penalties for doing so.

"If she did resign, the protesters would ask the court to rule that she had violated the Penal Code's Article 157, which punishes officials who abandon their duty. She would face a jail term, he warned."

Again this is simply untrue, article 157 is a subsection of the Penakl code that deals with corruption..........

"The provisions of the Penal Code incriminating acts of corruption are contained in Articles 147 to 157 and those that aggravate the punishment for specific officers are stipulated in Articles 200 to 202.

In addition, Articles 153 to 156 impose criminal sanctions, up to imprisonment for life, on corrupted of officers whose duties concern ccountancy functions. A general offence is prescribed in Article 157 as misconduct in office punished with a maximum imprisonment of 10 years." http://www.unafei.or.jp/english/pdf/RS_No83/No83_22PA_Pinthip.pdf

So that means Thaksin is manipulating his sister with unsubstantiated threats of imprisonment if she doesn't do what he says and remains in the caretaker PM position, even though it is against her will. What a great and thoughtful brother he is.

The reality is Thaksin doesn't want Yingluck to resign because he will loose control of the government and that leaves them open to a uncontrolled investigation of their corrupt practices. This would obviously lead to charges for most of the PTP members and maybe prison sentences. No wonder the blanket amnesty bill is so important for this administration, Yingluck must stay in her role, win the election and push through the blanket amnesty bill then she is free to resign.

Seems the die is cast, there no way Yingluck can move now

'sources said' 'the source said' ... Why not name the sources if they are credible? If not, this article is a joke and will no doubt be discredited by Yingluck and all others present.

Or perhaps the Nation doesn't want to name its sources so it can continue to milk them, pretty poor show if they named their inside source, as you can fairly certain that source wouldn't be an inside source for much longer, would it?

Yep. Obviously RT has a point. Can't simply assume this article is credible. Yet no insider source is going to give details if they're going to be named...

Yingluck Shinawatra almost gave in to resignation demands by the anti-government protesters on Sunday - but changed her mind at the last minute as her brother, former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, called to ask her to stay on

She has wanted to resign since the day she was elected. And most likely hoped that she never would be elected, in her private moments. The only time I've seen her look happy was when she was in the Kids Playgroup with happy smiling children talking to her about computer tablets. She is the classic example of what happens to all family members when one person in the family is a triple-alpha male dominator figure. You could literally use this family group as a curriculum textbook in itself, about the maximum extreme end of familial unbalanced male-dominator figures.

• Like 2

Great stuff, then you agree that Abhisit and Suthep can not be held accountable for the deaths and injuries in 2010.

However back on topic.

Absolute proof, if it was ever it was needed that Thaksin is in complete control of not only Yingluck but the whole of the PT Govt.

What a prize prick, he cares nothing for his sister and what he is putting her through, nor for the country or the people.

With her out and some of the worst offenders with her, a non partisan PM in place, a serious reform process started and a new date set for elections things can really start to move forward.

Tell him to go and get stuffed Yingluck, walk away now for the good of the country and your own peace mind, then you will know you have done the right thing.

PTP would never let the Shinawatras and their money walk away. It's like they know that without them, they could never win an election. PTP would be better off kicking them out from the party - cut out the disease and be done with it. Either that or just quit the party and start with a few leader. Abandon them and start again. Get someone in who really cars for the poor. Heck, maybe even some Bangkokians would vote for them. Pushing for an election is pointless, as it seems parliament can't be formed anyway.

• Like 2

The crazy thing is, if YS did resign as requested by the protesters, the Democrats probably would have the cheek to try and charge her for abandoning her duty!

Much in the same way they said the elections had to be postponed as parties could not register, it was there bloody protesters stopping people from registering.

I think the only feasible way out of this is for YS to resign with assurances that she would not be charged for AOD, and some relatively neutral person like Khun Anand to take charge for a period of time, perhaps 4-6 months until a new election can be called. Her resigning and handing over to a People's Council partially elected by the PDRC is simply unworkable and would never be accepted anywhere.

The fact that this is Suthep's one and only goal and has made it clear he won't negotiation leaves me with little doubt that the true reason for the protest from Suthep's perspective has little to do with corruption, vote buying etc

First time for everything in agreeing with you that Yingluck should step down, not be charged (agian more stupidity that reform needs to change) and a neutral person or body take charge. But not just for another election which keeps on producing the same never ending corrupt incompetent results but for genuine reform of the system. Suthep is only the means to the end and not the end result and that is what a lot with their Red tinted glasses are not seeing...or is it perhaps an imunity desease from years of getting told Thaksin and Pheu Thai bull sh!t that has no credibility?

• Like 2

Victim ! Only by reason of self inflicted wounds.

• Like 1

Why is it so difficult to believe? The reds pushed for Suthep and Abhisit to accept responsibility for the results of the 2010 riots when they were in charge, so why wouldn't the current PM be held accountable for any results of actions taken now?

There is a big difference between the situations. In one case, someone bending over backwards to avoid confrontation, in the other a direct order to use force. In any case, I do not support pursuit of those responsible in 2010, preferring amnesty as a pathway to reconciliation

Abhisit "bent over backwards" for 4 weeks before he tried to disperse the protesters, and that was only after they stormed government house and thaicom.

Sent from my phone ...

Yep. And this govt hasn't yet tried to disperse protesters, even after they 'stormed' govt house etc. Also offered more than AV's govt did during same time frame (Yingluck dissolved house, AV offered house dissolution in 9 months dependent on conditions - which I agree, in retrospect, UDD leaders should have accepted). So what's your point? I'm not saying this govt is morally superior to Abhisit's govt, I'm just saying this govt knows it can win the next election whereas Abhisit's knew it couldn't. That's the only difference.

• Like 1

Yingluck later called a meeting with Pheu Thai Party executives and talked via Skype with Thaksin, who said the Constitution did not allow her to resign, according to the sources.

Thaksin does not run the country, I do, says Yingluck, after getting her daily orders from Dubai.

Thaksin, if the report is correct, referred to the Thai Penal Code Section 157; Section 157 quoted below. There must be hundreds, if not thousands of Thai officials to whom this would apply, including Thaksin. I wonder how many have been convicted and serving their sentence.

Criminal Code Section 157: Whoever, being an official, wrongfully exercises or does not exercise any of his function to the injury of any person, or dishonestly exercises or omits to exercise any of his functions, shall be punished with imprisonment of one to ten years or fined from two thousand to twenty thousand Baht, or both.

Edited by simple1

Funny how Thaksin is such an expert on legal and constitutional matters yet didn't see a problem hiding his assets in his maid and gardners name, bribing a court official with 2 million stuffed in a pastry box, selling Thai national communication satellites to another country and trousering the proceeds, and having countless thousands of innocents slaughtered after catching a family member dusting his nose. A legal expert when it suits him?

You forgot his on resignation and fast turn about face and then defacto declaration that he was the PM even though his snap election was a failure as not enough MPs were elected to form a parliament.

Why is it so difficult to believe? The reds pushed for Suthep and Abhisit to accept responsibility for the results of the 2010 riots when they were in charge, so why wouldn't the current PM be held accountable for any results of actions taken now?

There is a big difference between the situations. In one case, someone bending over backwards to avoid confrontation, in the other a direct order to use force. In any case, I do not support pursuit of those responsible in 2010, preferring amnesty as a pathway to reconciliation

Amnesty is not the way forward not is it welcomed by many as can be seen by the current protests.

As for responsibility, the principles remain the same regardless of alleged actions. If the PM can be held accountable in 2010, then the same applies now.

• Like 1

Maybe so but there are attempts to hold Abhisit and Suthep responsible for killings they didn't commit or authorise so it's not that unusual here unfortunately.

In the cases relating to 2010 so far investigated the killings were carried out in contravention of the ROE so they weren't authorised by Abhisit and Suthep.

This is another good reason for PTP to try to avoid violence and using the army to control it. Using their own standards they would have to hold themselves responsible.

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

And adding a free pass for Thaksin. You 'forgot' to add that.

Explain Aphisit and the red shirts, bright eyes.

Many people would say that what The Nation offers as fact would be veiwed by more crdible media sources as rumour, gossip, innuendo....offering one-sided, juvenile 'analysis' and presenting simplistic answers to complex questions.I no longer buy it.

The merest suggestion that Yingluck is taking orders is a lie (except in red meetings), the merest suggestion that Ministers take orders from Thaksin is to be denied (except in red meetings) and the line must be held.

Those "sources" reminds me of a certain UDD paramilitary leader that said a person beginning with "C" stated a coup will happen on a certain date. Never happened. Or my favorite from Thaksin. "A person named "APP" from the NACC asked for a bribe from me" Never any names and all innuendo. Nothing came of it of course. The sources here don't really need to be named. They no doubt fear the consequences of talking up against the regime. They don't want the same fate as deputy finance permanent secretary Supa Piyajitti's or in the worst case the fate of Akeyuth.

'sources said' 'the source said' ... Why not name the sources if they are credible? If not, this article is a joke and will no doubt be discredited by Yingluck and all others present.

Yes, totally unvelieabably scenario, it's not as if PTP's election slogan was Thaksin Thinks, Phuea Thai does... oh wait, that was the slogan. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1