Man accused of sexually assaulting unconscious woman who later killed herself

webfact

Man accused of sexually assaulting unconscious woman who later killed herself
Thirapon Khumsuk
The Nation

30224393-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A RESCUE worker has been arrested for allegedly trying to rape an unconscious woman he was entrusted to transport to a hospital, and who reportedly drowned herself after the attack.

Witnesses said yesterday that |the victim was found dead in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district shortly after screaming for help and complaining that she had been raped.

The suspect, Tawatchai sae Sim, 32, denied raping the woman, saying he had attempted to do so but let her go after she resisted.

"We're waiting for autopsy results," said Pol Colonel Korawat Hanpradit, superintendent of Bang Phli Police Station.

Besides sexual assault, Tawatchai has been charged with stealing the victim's rings, which he allegedly sold in order to buy methamphetamine.

Tawatchai worked for a rescue foundation, which was alerted on Monday morning about the victim passing out at a Foodland supermarket branch in Bangkok and needing medical treatment.

The branch's assistant manager called the victim's boyfriend before deciding to contact the foundation.

The boyfriend, a soldier, said he received the call at about 10am and rushed to Ramkhamhaeng Hospital where his girlfriend was supposed to have been sent.

"But I didn't find her. So I decided to go to the police," he said.

Security cameras showed Tawatchai driving a foundation vehicle to the Foodland branch to pick up the unconscious victim, who had been placed in a wheelchair. The store's staff helped her into the vehicle.

Recordings at the hospital showed the vehicle driving in, then speeding away without stopping.

The victim, 28, worked for a well-known real-estate company. According to Foodland staff, she spent the whole night at the 24-hour supermarket before fainting on Monday morning.

Sittichai Konyanee, 33, said he was driving a motorcycle with his wife along a road next to a canal in Bang Phli on Monday when he saw a pretty woman dash out of the shrubbery.

"She called for help. She said she was raped," he said.

He stopped and the woman immediately jumped on his motorbike between him and his wife.

"But after a short ride, she asked me to stop," he said.

When he, his wife and another witness went back to check on her, they found she was already dead with her face submerged under water.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-16

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great customer service by Foodland - sending an indisposed client to hospital with a stranger.

Errm they called the boyfriend and from that conversation they then called the rescue foundation, this is the kinda thing they do.

would you have preferred they tied her to a hessian sack and had a couple of soi dogs drag her up the road instead ?

R.I.P young lass.

Considering the victim is a woman, how about a Foodland rep accompanying the lady and the rescue volunteer?

Why ?

Foodland has done the right thing here so Iam not sure why you have your panties in a twist about.

As a part of customer service? And for not sending an indisposed woman alone with a stranger?

When he, his wife and another witness went back to check on her, they found she was already dead with her face submerged under water.

unconscious woman who later killed herself

Something about the above 2 quotes smells

Yes this doesn't seem right. Is it a part of Thai culture to kill yourself after rape? I don't understand this. Something seems amiss. Are Thai women stigmatized to such a extent that suicide is a viable option at saving face? Would her boyfriend dump her over this? Would people think it is somehow her fault? Weird. So many questions. Why did she lose consciousness? Edited by DeeMockMark

Bastard retard animal.

He blemishes other foundation workers.

Sorry for this girl who killed herself about this scumbag.

I hope her soldier boyfriend can find some solution for this cretin.

• Like 2

"...dead with her face submerged under water."

This is odd. What water? How much water?

Difficult to drown in a small amount of water unless you are unconscious

. Can't really stick your head in a puddle and commit suicide.Very difficult to do.

• Like 1

There's a special place in hell for this low life..

My friend, a social worker, says it is not that unusual for a victim of rape to contemplate suicide or harming themselves in a less evasive way. And just imagine, she had to deal with her original health issue then that happens. Poor lady!

I'm sure the soldier boyfriend will not let this go.

The " rescue" workers / bodysnatchers have had a terrible reputation in the past.

IE fighting over bodies, and stealing stuff from dead bodies. They say that is all

in the past and it has been cleaned up. Apparently this guy slipped through the cracks....

...unfortunately, for many 'rescue workers', it is not about benevolence.....it is about the 'perks'.......