Spending for Chinese New Year predicted at Bt5.8 billion: Bangkok

webfact

Spending for Chinese New Year predicted at Bt5.8 billion
By Digital Content

13906228906356.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 25 – The Chinese community in Bangkok will spend at least Bt5.8 billion on offerings to their ancestors, or about Bt3,600 per household during the Chinese New Year, according to a survey.

Kasikorn Research Centre (KResearch) said heavy shopping will occur on Wednesday, two days before the auspicious Chinese New Year day.

Overall spending will see a 4 per cent growth – slower than last year which enjoyed a 6 per cent increase, mainly due to increased cost of living and higher commodity prices, it said.

The political turmoil has dampened the shopping atmosphere prior to the Chinese New Year, KResearch added.

Bangkokians prefer to shop at modern trade retail stores which they find more convenient, with all the necessary merchandise available at competitive prices. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-25

"will spend at least Bt5.8 billion on offerings to their ancestors"..........."Bangkokians prefer to shop at modern trade retail stores"

Seems to me that these ancestors are very demandingwhistling.gif

Yeah those are numbers the Greeks can only dream about those days!!coffee1.gif

(Sorry Costas, couldn't help myself!!)

• Like 2

"The Chinese community in Bangkok will spend at least Bt5.8 billion on offerings to their ancestors..."

If we could only convince them to offer surplus rice to their ancestors. After all, what do Chinese ancestors know from Rolex and Gucci?

attachicon.gifDarts_in_a_dartboard.jpg Yet another meaningless number!!coffee1.gif

Wonder why Chinatown has been spared in the protests? Home of main sponsors??

I agree! By the numbers they are quoting would mean that only 2% of spending would be lost from the lack of chinese new year tourists. Since HK has thailand blacklisted for travel here it seems unlikely that the numbers they quote are correct

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think people should realise that a fair number of Thai people are actually ethnic Chinese. These are Thais who have got Chinese ancestry. It's a bit like saying that there are Americans who have got European ancestry.

The Thais who have got Chinese ancestry, well, they're sometimes called Chinese-Thais. We know who these people are, because they look the same as the people who have got Chinese take-away food shops and restaurants in England and America.

I must say, some of us have a laugh and giggle about Chinese back home, but very few of us have a laugh at the Chinese-Thais here in Thailand !! It's like most of us here don't regard or realise that the Chinese-Thais as being Chinese at all !! :)