Anyone here fly Delta to Thailand during the 80's?

wym

I flew Pan Am a few times, never Delta, though.

Actually, I flew on their "round the world in 80 days" offer. First class, fully booked, RTW fares, USD1200! The thing that sticks in my mind is that they had a sit-down meal service for first class passengers in a special dining area on the upper deck. I think some of their planes had a piano up there, too.

The thing that sticks in my mind is that they had a sit-down meal service for first class passengers in a special dining area on the upper deck.

I vaguely recall that all the flights I have ever taken, with different airlines, and different classes - all had sit down meal services. wink.png

Made th RT Atlanta - Bangkok on Delta Business Class promo for $1600 in 1996 on an MD-11 (started out of NY) - worst plane ride I ever had coming over here. Seats very cramped and rather poor service. Vowed to go back to NWA and I did, but..............now look what happened - the poor airline took over the better one! Stopped riding NWA when they got those terrible A330's between Tokyo and Bangkok - now travel EVA Premium Economy - Tops for seating and service!

Edited by snooky

Delta was short lived on the BKK route but I don't think they flew it until very late 80's or even early 90's.

They didn't understand Trans Pacific marketing very well, neither did TWA or Braniff.

Lots of lost airlines on trans pacific due to marketing misques.
BOAC was another, Northwest was always terrible with inflight food, yet JAL always succeeded. Pan Am did a fairly good job but lost it all after years of decline and the Lockerbie tragedy did them in finally.

Airline marketing has changed since the 80's but I fondly recall Pam Am flight One's route:
JFK-SFO-HNL-TYO-HKG-BKK-BOM-BEY-ROM -LON-JFK. Upstairs table dining service 1st class 747.

I worked as an airline marketing manager in NYC for 10 years in those fun days.

Now they couldn't pay me enough to do that job in todays airline climate.

I have to applaud Delta for copying Air New Zealand's efforts at making those wretched videos watchable. I only wish they would copy their level of service as well. Thanks for sharing this, as I hope to never again have to fly Delta, the most absolutely horrible airline I have ever flown with. My last flight with them in 2009 was $300 RT from LA to Barcelona (which I paid for with free credit card sign-up miles), and I still felt like I was ripped off.

Edited by RaoulDuke