Auto Trivia

bazmlb

Yep but was Neal's post #797 referring to volumetric efficiency?

Efficiency can relate to many things, fuel, cost, weight etc.

Hemi's are fine but they are not the most powerful engines on the planet.

The most powerful internal combustion engines are 2 stroke diesel ship engines ~100,000 hp at around 100rpm, also among the most fuel efficient.

I think our maximum because of engine age was 98 RPM, unless one is trying to outrun an Argentine warship in which case I think we got up to 117, with all possible engineering staff in the engine room monitoring everything the old fashioned way.. laugh.png It's a long story!

The Alfa 164 engine also uses hemi heads but pent roof works better on naturally aspirated engines which are designed with high compression ratios.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have another one up my sleeve which might overload GOOGLE. laugh.png

Using google is not a test of knowledge, experience or memory. If we have to resort to Google the questions are too obscure. Either one knows the answer of not. If not we learn something.

Yes.Powered by T.A.s favourite Engine. Brilliant Sounding ride.thumbsup.gif

I have always been of the opinion that a straight six is the better sounding engine. maybe that is upbringing? I would take a SAAB two-stroke as my favourite sounding engine.

For a competition engine it is the sounds it makes that a stock engine does not make. Like Rice Krispies it is the snap, crackle and pop that makes the difference.

In the ever increasing beigeness of the world it seems that cars should be seen and not heardsad.png However volume does not increase the quality of the sound!

Yes.Powered by T.A.s favourite Engine. Brilliant Sounding ride.thumbsup.gif

I have always been of the opinion that a straight six is the better sounding engine. maybe that is upbringing? I would take a SAAB two-stroke as my favourite sounding engine.

For a competition engine it is the sounds it makes that a stock engine does not make. Like Rice Krispies it is the snap, crackle and pop that makes the difference.

In the ever increasing beigeness of the world it seems that cars should be seen and not heardsad.png However volume does not increase the quality of the sound!

There is noooooooooo better sound than a V8 on song. None.

• Like 1

There is noooooooooo better sound than a V8 on song. None.

Sure there is, a straight six on song as you put it thumbsup.gif Or maybe two straight sixes in a flat 12. Although a Mazda 787 ?

Sadly in missed the Rotary period some how?

One can here the Mazdas or used to be able to at US sports car races.

V8 supercars sound OK and one can tell the difference between a 60 and a 90 deg V8 Ie GM vs Volvo

The most powerful engines on the planet are Hemi's. Top fuel Drag cars use the basic Mopar Hemi design.

Volumetric efficiency is the key to an engines performance. (How much fuel/air it can pull or force in.

Top fuel uses a hemi head which these days has very little to do with the mopar hemi's of days gone by.

The most powerful engines on the planet are Hemi's. Top fuel Drag cars use the basic Mopar Hemi design.

Volumetric efficiency is the key to an engines performance. (How much fuel/air it can pull or force in.

Top fuel uses a hemi head which these days has very little to do with the mopar hemi's of days gone by.

You can still buy a NEW Hemi crate engine from Chrysler with repositioned engine mounts for ease of installation into anything..........wub.png

You can still buy a NEW Hemi crate engine from Chrysler with repositioned engine mounts for ease of installation into anything..........wub.png

pro tip: Top fuel are not using crate motors from Chrysler.

pro tip: Top fuel are not using crate motors from Chrysler.

Who's talking about top fuel stuff.....rolleyes.gif You want to talk Kieth Black ? ........facepalm.gif

stop talking riddles.

You mention Mopar Hemi and top fuel and I set it straight.

You reply who is talking top fuel then mention KB's.

Put down the pipe.

Point out where I mentioned TOP FUEL ? ..................rolleyes.gif

Your post # 804.

Cool subject though and one that I enjoy. Why did the NHRA ban multi valve (3 valve or 4 valve) in Top fuel and kept it dinosaur 2 valve technology ?

stop talking riddles.

You mention Mopar Hemi and top fuel and I set it straight.

You reply who is talking top fuel then mention KB's.

Put down the pipe.

Point out where I mentioned TOP FUEL ? ..................rolleyes.gif

Your post # 804.

Cool subject though and one that I enjoy. Why did the NHRA ban multi valve (3 valve or 4 valve) in Top fuel and kept it dinosaur 2 valve technology ?

post #804 which has nothing to do with resent chat rolleyes.gif . You seem to have a problem with my posts, don't know why, but hey, it's OK. thumbsup.gif

Am sure you will tell us about the valve thing, same as NASCAR brought in daft stuff from time to time.

Ive no problem with your posts (cept the constant barrage about your fookin vigo and how shit my Ranger is). I just like to set facts straight.

Thought this was an auto trivia thread. you mentioned top fuel so I thought I'd come into the mix. do you have no reply about multi valve heads in NHRA for Top Fuellers ?

I thought you was a drag racing guy ..............

Ive no problem with your posts (cept the constant barrage about your fookin vigo and how shit my Ranger is). I just like to set facts straight.

Thought this was an auto trivia thread. you mentioned top fuel so I thought I'd come into the mix. do you have no reply about multi valve heads in NHRA for Top Fuellers ?

I thought you was a drag racing guy ..............

No, I am a street/strip guy, fun stuff, with a wee bit of knowledge. Sorry your Ford ride problems come into our bit of fun here. But, you bought what you wanted..............cool..........thumbsup.gif