Auto Trivia

bazmlb

Ken Costello converted many rides, but the nice men at MG put the V8 O.E. in at the Factory.unless Google is as wrong as well.,w00t.gif

BL put the Rover in the MGB themselves to replace the 6 pot in the MGC, called MGB V8. They also put it in the Triumph TR7 series, the TR8.

The Healey was a successful car in the States but Leyland thought the Stag would be the replacement - they thought wrong....then they thought about the MGC which was just an ugly Healey and after a while thought about the V* - which is daft because it was right under their noses...remember the company was govt owned for a lot of this.

anyway while BL were faffing about Nissan/Datsun introduced the 240Z which is what the Austin Healey should have become, BL were bested in every way.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ken Costello converted many rides, but the nice men at MG put the V8 O.E. in at the Factory.unless Google is as wrong as well.,w00t.gif

BL put the Rover in the MGB themselves to replace the 6 pot in the MGC, called MGB V8. They also put it in the Triumph TR7 series, the TR8.

TR7/8 was another disaster. BL heard that Ralph Nader would make all convertibles illegal in the states so they selved all development on soft-tops and hurriedly put a lid on the TR7. Of course that particular Nader idea was fully implemented (T-bar roves etc seemed OK) so BL ended up with a car with a crap engine, poor proportions etc etc that they tried to sell in the states......in the end they tried a convertible - which actually looked like the car was meant to look like originally and a v*...the rover/buick engibne

BTW the Stag V8 was not that bad a design. i bleive it was oil flow to the top end that was the problem, but unlike the Jag v12, this was quite easily remedied with a small modification. You'll see this mod on ALL Stags still running.....of course BL never got round to sorting out, it happened AFTER production ceased.

Edited by wilcopops

Tom Walkinshaw carried on with Ford and Jag race Cars,and managed to rattle the Ozzie V8s at Bathurst in the Peter Brock Era.Ralph Broard gave up on Development,and started importing Cars from the EEC. His Brother also met an early Sad Death.

Like BL, many other car makers went for T bar or Targa roof styles as well in the 70's.

At least those Walkinshaw XJS V12's gave Jag a taste of success at Bathurst.

I'd say that Jag's performance at Bathurst only goes to reinforce the idea that the Jag engine wasn't really up to much...even in the 1980s it was hopelessly out classed by BM and the like. Although the racing is often a good spectacle, Bathurst is of course not the most "hi-tech" of racing events as for a lot of the time is was restricted to only 2 kinds of vehicle.

Like BL, many other car makers went for T bar or Targa roof styles as well in the 70's.

At least those Walkinshaw XJS V12's gave Jag a taste of success at Bathurst.

I'd say that Jag's performance at Bathurst only goes to reinforce the idea that the Jag engine wasn't really up to much...even in the 1980s it was hopelessly out classed by BM and the like. Although the racing is often a good spectacle, Bathurst is of course not the most "hi-tech" of racing events as for a lot of the time is was restricted to only 2 kinds of vehicle.

The CAMS rules for Bathurst in the mid 80's changed to the European based Group A regs with a variety of different cars eligible to race. It was certianly not a 2 make series at that time. Group A was a modified production car formula, not "High Tech" but a long way from the NACAR style cars of today.

The new regs probably gave Jag an opportunity while the locals developed new racing versions of the Falcons and Commodores. Still there was plenty of competition with turbo Volvos and Starions, BMW 635, Rover SD1, Alfa GTV, Mustangs etc.

Bathurst requires hp to stay in front and that year the Jags did it. I believe they had some success in the BTCC around that time as well. The BMW 635's certianly looked great and still did OK.

Have a look at a classic bit if Britishness in the V12 doco

Thank you Mr Baxter.

Edited by Jitar

No takers on the Citroen Double Chevron logo then?

Sorry I didn't see the question. If you means what is the siignificance a question I was going to put forward but ...

The Citroen chevrons are a depiction of gear teeth. Mr. Citroen started life machining "chevron" gears to increase the efficiency of gear driven machinery. (from memory without using the ubiquitous smart phone. I say from memory because I can't remember the exact technical term for the gear type but I could always "look it up")

Having seen a Ford Corsair the other day how about cars that share their names with aircraft?

I'll start

Ford Mustang

Triumph Spitfire

sadly a horrible little car, unlike the plane

I see a Triumph (Spitfire) GT6 parked up near me in the boonies. whistling.gif

Humber Scepter

Wolseley Hornet

Riley Elf

GMC Typhoon

Pontiac Tempest

Ford Thunderbird

Reliant Scimitar

Sunbeam Rapier

Singer Gazelle

Humber Snipe

Vampire Cars

Ford Zephyr

Ford Zodiac

Ford Falcon

Mercury Cougar

Jaguar

MG Midget

Showing my age here......laugh.png

Edited by transam

Jensen Interceptor. Buick Sabre.

Was actually a Buick Le Sabre. Not sure if Le Sabre was a plane though.

No. Only if talking French . laugh.png

Ford Sabre.

Oldsmobile Cutlass

Edited by transam
  • Like 1