Why AreExpats So Stuck Up

kingstonkid

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats how they interpret been professional and (manly me got big penis not you)you see it everywhere man in politics,sports,music industry,this is why I dont like competition in schools because it pits kids against one another and winners get to brag and loosers have to soak it up and then what work harder more determined to beat his ass right thats ugly coming from childrdn some may say its just a bit of fun but for the loosers it aint,and we know how hard there trying and taking it seriously look at those soccer fans and fights they get into.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Kids need competition in school. What do you want - for them to wait until they are out of school to find out that life is competition with winners and losers? They should compete for grades, and in sports, and then they won't be shocked to learn they have to compete for a promotion or to run a business.

As for adults being stuck up, I don't know all of the reasons. I have suspected that many expats didn't do so well with people in their home countries either. I suspect that many are loners, depressed, and generally misfits. Not all of course, but I suspect that many are.

Innovation and success in any asspect of life doesnt come from competition fool its with ones interest in which they wish to seek is what they should be working on you see a big brute of a athlete all of a sudden taking interest in been a book worm overnight if it aint in his interests never going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

If someone I don't know wants to say Hi to me, I'll think they are a dash weird... That doesn't make me stuck up, it just makes me think you might be a bit of a nut-job...

In quieter area's, small villages etc there may be other reasons, but in a large city such as Bangkok I don't expect strangers of any nationality to say Hi to me and I certainly don't imagine that I'll go around saying Hi to people I don't know.

A counter question may be asked: "Do people think you are weird if you say Hi to strangers and expect a response ?"

You my friend are what we are talking about. Must be a sad life.

But you are not my friend BillyBob.. and thats the whole point.... Some may wish to waltz around saying hi to anyone they meet and thats fine, but don't get upset if someone think's you're a little strange for doing so.

Would you walk around London saying Hi to strangers, or it just Foreigners in Thailand from whom people expect a response and call them snooty when ignored?

Or do you say Hi to every Thai you walk past?... It's just a little bit odd...

Or perhaps these 'hi to all and sundry folks' are the sort of person who thinks offering my Wife a stick of Gum at the airport baggage carrousel is an opener to impressing them with their 'at-one-ness' with Thailand and all things Thai when all she wants to do is to get rid of the pervy-old-pest !...

In a quiet village where paths may cross regularly there is nothing wrong a nod and a Hi, but in such a large city the chances are that when someone wants to talk to you for no apparent reason they want something....

There are foreigners in my apartment in Bangkok, when in a lift or at the door we say hello... but I do that with Thai's in the same building too. Singling out foreigners seems, well, just weird and too needy...

My family and i live within a small local village community and after reading your post, it only validates my reasons why I would hate to have another farang as a neighbor, or even want to be in the same area or space with you. Yuk.

Walking around in London saying Hi to strangers is a totally different scenario compared to a very few and far between other native English speakers that may live in a majority Thai community up country somewhere.

I am well in with the Thai community in our village, we chat together, drink together and it`s great. There is only one other farang living in our area, a Canadian. He is completely anti social and even the Thais detest the guy, as I would if he lived near me.

2 foreigners that perhaps speak the same language who live close by in the same remote area have no need to become bosom buddies, but on the other hand there is no need to be completely anti social either, to me that is the thing which is really odd and strange.

When me and my Thai wife lived in the States and in the UK, she eventually discovered other Thais in the area to associate with or they found her, mostly people she could chat with on the phone or visit so she could converse in Thai sometimes. That to me is normal and no one would regard us as being weird or strange because we enjoy being with our own kind sometimes and that applies to both Thais and farangs that speak the same language or of the same nationalities. That to me is not needy but only being normal.

If you are only encountering farangs who are trying to chat up your wife by offering her some gum or wanting something, than you are obviously visiting the wrong places or tarring all of us with the same brush.

As another poster said; it must be a sad life or possibly a recluse?

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Given how Thai teachers seem to be so full of themselves. It must rub off on the foreign teachers. My friend Mem introduces them with awe in her voice. I'm like Oh Aye. Back home we used to say "Those who can do, those who can't teach". My mate Brian is separated from a Thai teacher. She's an absolute fruitcake

• Like 2

OP, don't wear your TV t-shirt so much when in public.............blink.png

You appear to be scaring people who have not signed up for the forum and have a problem with not being worthy enough to converse with you.

Try the simple remedies first....................wink.png

This is just what happens when Westerners come to a region beset with third-world countries; it isn't just the foreigners in Thailand, you'll find the same in Singapore (that recent case of the man calling people on public transport smelly comes to mind), Hong Kong (although a bit less so in my experience), Malaysia... you get the point.

Edited by brossey1988

I find the teachers mostly friendly, it's your 50+ ex pat married to a bar girl who's usually worth keeping clear of. They've been here for years and claim to know everything about Thai culture, despite the fact they can't speak a word of the language. They sit in small bars with other ex pats and moan about Thai culture. It's worse if you go to pattaya (blackpool with hookers) and you'll see this vest and flip flop wearing Neanderthal in abundance.

Another possible reason for some Expats anti social behaviour is that some are dominated by there Thai wife/partner.

To the extent that they are forbidden to mix, communicate or acknowledge their own kind and therefore avoid contact through fear of 'The Mrs'

They don't have to be teachers either.

This typically happens to guys that made no effort to stand on their own two feet, explore the World around them, learn the language or blend in at anytime since they arrived.

Hence all bar wiping their ar*se the 'Mrs' does everything for them. Akin to a mongrel house pet that gets a beating every time it shows interest in the World beyond the gate open.

Well, I've seen a bunch who obviously went to work when I had to go to my embassy. I said hi to one, but was ignored. Just said to myself how lucky I can be to live in the northeast and not in the capital.

I'd call that rude, but who cares? Idiots are everywhere.-wai2.gif

Life's to short to worry about other peoples attitudes as long as your happy that is the main thing it may well be worth considering moving on if your neighbours are a miserable bunch . Have you ever thought that they may well think the same of you and that in there eyes your a miserable so and so. !!

Interesting topic. I always lead with a smile while walking and I have a pretty good average of getting a 'return smile' from Thai's older than I, but a near dismal average with any walking farang. However, I've made my best friends here when I encounter the very same non-walking/smiling farangs while they happen to be seated, say, having a beer or eating outside.

I find it nearly impossible to believe that there are 'stuck-up' walkers, but rather 'internally engaged walkers'.

On a side note, I once had a friend from the U.S. South (Arkansas) where greeting everyone was a duty and a return greeting was expected. If however, someone did not return his 'hello', he would literally do an about face and follow them saying 'hello! Hello! HELLO!".

• Like 1

If someone I don't know wants to say Hi to me, I'll think they are a dash weird... That doesn't make me stuck up, it just makes me think you might be a bit of a nut-job...

In quieter area's, small villages etc there may be other reasons, but in a large city such as Bangkok I don't expect strangers of any nationality to say Hi to me and I certainly don't imagine that I'll go around saying Hi to people I don't know.

A counter question may be asked: "Do people think you are weird if you say Hi to strangers and expect a response ?"

the answer to your question, no, it just showws that you have good manners and are well adjusted and do not fear what you don't know. up here in esan, all the thai's say hello when passing.

There's an older Amercian guy living in my condo, it's a small condo only 31 units. I often saw this guy in the lobby and car park and would say 'Good morning' or 'Good evening' and never receive a response or acknowledgement. One morning coming out of the elevator I made my usual greeting whilst walking my son to the car, again no response. I turned around on my heel and walked back 'Don't you ever say hello or anything to anyone? It's really quite rude'. The old boy became really flustered and didn't say much except for 'sorry'. However each time I see him now he always replies if I speak to him.

• Like 2

lol 9/10 when a farang randomly initiates conversation with you in bangkok it is some kind of scam/bs/he is drunk/crazy etc. sorry but normal people don't go around randomly saying hi to strangers in some kind of desperate attempt to make friends.

if you want to make friends why dont you join a gym, club, get a hobby, go to a bar, go to a book store, cafe, anywhere... if you think walking up to random strangers on the street is "a good way to make new friends" you sound like a serial killer or social misfit.

You are right about everything you say, I am the only Farang in my village, but if I saw another Farang, which is almost non existent, I would acknowledge him, to see if I got a response, if so I would chat to him, if not, I would just move on.