Foreign female tourist killed in hit and run on Koh Samui

SamuiDude, on 04 Feb 2014 - 13:33, said:

Tips for newbie scooter drivers here: Watch traffic at all times (also from behind by using mirrors), keep both hands on brakes (or foot and hand), don`t just your blink when you turn right but also wave your hand, beware dogs, -children and -backing trucks on the side of the road, keeps your eyes peeled for fast approaching motorbikes, -trucks, -cars and water trucks, watch out for the curves as there might be overtaking vehicle on your lane, don`t drive too fast (over 60) or too slow (depending on situation) as this will multiple increase the chance of getting hit by something and during night time, use a moto taxi if you plan to drink...

R.I.P for an other hapless soul lost on the streets of Samui

p.s. I know there`s more tips...

I would go further and say " do not ride a bike in Thailand" You do so at your own risk. Its not worth it. This type of incident is so common

• Like 1

Tips for newbie scooter drivers here: Watch traffic at all times (also from behind by using mirrors), keep both hands on brakes (or foot and hand), don`t just your blink when you turn right but also wave your hand, beware dogs, -children and -backing trucks on the side of the road, keeps your eyes peeled for fast approaching motorbikes, -trucks, -cars and water trucks, watch out for the curves as there might be overtaking vehicle on your lane, don`t drive too fast (over 60) or too slow (depending on situation) as this will multiple increase the chance of getting hit by something and during night time, use a moto taxi if you plan to drink...

Good advice SD...but I would suggest that if you are a 'newbie' to scooters then Samui isn't the best place to learn. I ride my bikes here everyday, and have been riding bikes for the best part of 40 years (gawd that scares me) and this isn't a place to learn...you have to have you wits about you and know what to expect.

I've stopped riding at night now...I know my own limitations...but there are just too many dickheads unknowns on the roads now wai.gif

• Like 1

I would go further and say " do not ride a bike in Thailand" You do so at your own risk. Its not worth it. This type of incident is so common

Root cause of the accident/death was not riding a bike but a 'Maniac' idiot behind the wheel of a Water truck. Any vehicle in this poor girls position on the road at that time and place would have probably resulted in death unless you happen to be driving an M1 Abrahams or Challenger Tank

Like has been said how many water trucks are owned/on Samui? The BiB should be able to narrow it down a bit, if they can be ar$ed!

• Like 1

Another tragedy on our roads and another meaningless and wasteful death, commiserations and condolences to her family.

Only last night when going for our evening meal a drunken Russian tourist crashed his moped into my car, he was turning left onto the road I was travelling on which would have him coming directly towards me. He seemed to get his throttle and brake mixed up and ended up fishtailing down the street toward me. He was so far away I was able to stop and was completely stationery by the time he finally fell over and crashed into the front drivers side wing, both he and his friend then spent the next hour trying to convince me that the damage to my 6 month old Fortuner had been caused my a different colored vehicle.

What's my point? As long as they allow people who have never ridden a motorbike to hire one, as long as they allow school children to drive on busy roads with 2 or even 3 pillion passengers, as long as they allow unskilled and untrained drivers to be in control of heavy commercial vehicles then there will be fatalities on the roads every day. Somebody, someday has to take a look at the stats and say "Enough is enough" There must be a cultural change in how we use the roads!

Perhaps one day when there is a government that is not hell bent on plundering the economy, but has a conscience and a sense of duty to the people that have elected them and pay their wages, they may actually form a committee of experts that will come up with some immediate and effective changes to the current laws.

Goodness knows we need them now...

Excellent Post.....

• Like 2

Another tragedy on our roads and another meaningless and wasteful death, commiserations and condolences to her family.

Only last night when going for our evening meal a drunken Russian tourist crashed his moped into my car, he was turning left onto the road I was travelling on which would have him coming directly towards me. He seemed to get his throttle and brake mixed up and ended up fishtailing down the street toward me. He was so far away I was able to stop and was completely stationery by the time he finally fell over and crashed into the front drivers side wing, both he and his friend then spent the next hour trying to convince me that the damage to my 6 month old Fortuner had been caused my a different colored vehicle.

What's my point? As long as they allow people who have never ridden a motorbike to hire one, as long as they allow school children to drive on busy roads with 2 or even 3 pillion passengers, as long as they allow unskilled and untrained drivers to be in control of heavy commercial vehicles then there will be fatalities on the roads every day. Somebody, someday has to take a look at the stats and say "Enough is enough" There must be a cultural change in how we use the roads!

Perhaps one day when there is a government that is not hell bent on plundering the economy, but has a conscience and a sense of duty to the people that have elected them and pay their wages, they may actually form a committee of experts that will come up with some immediate and effective changes to the current laws.

As mentioned elsewhere Dashcams should be mandatory for anyone that lives here, furthermore we (residents) need to devise a method in which footage is available to anyone that needs it.

Condolences to the family of the deceased.

Root cause of the accident/death was not riding a bike but a 'Maniac' idiot behind the wheel of a Water truck. Any vehicle in this poor girls position on the road at that time and place would have probably resulted in death unless you happen to be driving an M1 Abrahams or Challenger Tank

Like has been said how many water trucks are owned/on Samui? The BiB should be able to narrow it down a bit, if they can be ar$ed!

I tend to agree with this, may have not mattered what type of vehicle this poor girl was using, it was the water trucks actions and apparent inability to drive with any common sense that caused her death.

As a frequent visitor to Samui I only hire cars and drive with extreme caution, I find it takes 3 or so days to get a feel for how others drive / ride on Samui roads. It's about always expecting someone to be passing you on your left, your right, on the wrong side of the road and never being in a hurry.

RIP young lady.

As mentioned elsewhere Dashcams should be mandatory for anyone that lives here, furthermore we (residents) need to devise a method in which footage is available to anyone that needs it.

Here you go 2 pictures of this Idiot pulling out in front of me then having to stop on the road because the traffic on his left doesn't have to let him in. I could stop only going slow but what if it was a water truck, He would be mince meat.

post-25918-0-64437400-1391595692_thumb.j

post-25918-0-80368800-1391595720_thumb.j

• Like 1

driver of a 6-wheeled water truck crashed...

i gave a tip of where I saw this truck and the post was taken away without notice. Did someone receive the info? It was a crime after all...

Perhaps if you look you will find your post & stop making accusations.

It's HERE.....................

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701949-foreign-female-tourist-killed-in-hit-and-run-on-koh-samui/page-2#entry7394516

Here you go 2 pictures of this Idiot pulling out in front of me then having to stop on the road because the traffic on his left doesn't have to let him in. I could stop only going slow but what if it was a water truck, He would be mince meat.

My eyes aren't toooo good but is that a farang trying to be Thai ? bah.gif

My eyes aren't toooo good but is that a farang trying to be Thai ? bah.gif

Very trying next time he might be as I said mince meat.

Obviously in this case the driver fled the scene for obvious reasons.

In Thailand if a motorist in involved with a collision that results in the death of the other party he/she is immediately arrested and charged with causing the death whilst the case is investigated. That means that even if you did nothing wrong you will find yourself charged and then in theory the charge will be dropped when the case is investigated properly.. however it's back to front and against natural justice so it's kind of understandable that in some instances people flee the scene.

It should be noted that not all Thai drivers flee the scene of a fatal accident, even if they are at fault and there is no witness. My neighbour was killed by a Thai pick up driver who stopped and reported the incident to the police despite there being no other witness, it was a accident and the pick up driver was not really to blame, but it's wrong to suggest that all Thai drivers are cowards.

So you know of ONE occurrence where the driver did not flee the accident scene...

Wonder how that tally up % wise, flee, not flee....

Well you may have a point, however my observation is simply that many foreigners are quick to assume that Thai's run away and it's not always the case.

So may foreigners staying in Thailand seem to have a very low opinion of Thai's, and often that low opinion is unjustified and unfair... thats all.

• Like 2

A good friend of mine said that he saw a white water truck parked up at a police station last week.

Obvious damage to the off-side of the cab and the driver 'helping police with their enquiries'.

My friend is not prone to exageration so hopefully something positive is happening here.

Bearing in mind the Thai standard of 'arresting all drivers in the case of a fatal accident - until blame is apportioned', the running away of Thai drivers is a normal occurance. They are not necessarily doing a runner - just staying low until bail conditions/terms/amounts etc are negotiated. They then often hand themselves in to the police. This is not always the case - but it is a normal approach to the accident.

We often read that 'the driver fled the scene'. We rarely read 'and handed himself in 4 days later'. Old news does not sell newspapers

Farangs on the other hand - more often than not - run.

I have seen quite a few examples of both of the above in my years here.

• Like 1

It's thai law that if an accident involves death or injury that everyone should stop and leave the vehicles exactly as they are including leaving the key in the engine

Until the chief In charge of each case comes with his clip board pen and paper to come

Only then with his permission can the vehicles be moved

Normally when the Thais hand themselves in it is because the police already know who is responsible and give the driver he chance the come in peacefully or they shall get a warrant for his arrest

In some cases where there is a death involved and the family of the deceased are very upset then he police might lock the driver up for his own safety till the dusk settles

Even if he is not at fault

If the driver runs then he is 100 per cent at fault as there is not way to determine how the crash happened. No skid marks no driver's face ?

Basically makes it harder to pin point the incident

If a whiteness said he was driving at speed at 0300 am then he must have been drunk as I do no know any water company that delivers water at 0300 am

But no way to breathalyser him

So he could have some problems if caught and charged

He might make bail which some people mistake this as the police letting them go but they are not free

Some cases people can be on bail for many year before sentencing

It is just the way it is

Some times if the families do not want to press charges they might exempt compensation in exchange to drop charges but the money shall be so high that it shall financially cripple them for life

Some take out a loan and now 10 years later only working to pay the loan

So even compensation is no escaping justice

We all know Thailand and we all know that you need money here to live

With out it one is sheep amongst the wolves

In cases where you here about people paying the families to escape jail these people are still paying in another form of justice that is alien to us or most of us

Specially us English who have a benefit system that shall leave no person without food in their mouths

Here u have not money you have not food

You have no food you have no family

You basically die alone

Unless you are super rich then you might be able I jump out of the country but look at cases recently where they dragged that Englishman back to Thailand for killing. That American in Phuket

the world is allot smaller now and allot harder to get away with shit

The Thais in samui have a saying

" nothing good on the roads after 0300 am"

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1