Welcome to New Members

tuky

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lurked for a while, I figured I might as well finally announce my presence. As you might have already guessed, my ubiquitous nick comes from the Hindu monkey god Hanuman. I also use it on irc.freenode.net and my favorite stomping grounds, the Vector Linux forums: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum1. Here, I am known as the 'Honourary Desi'; I am a flaming Indophile and a number of my desi friends have even said that resemble a Northern Indian; doing the universal mudra of anjali in my picture probably helps that impression. :o

I am in fact a high school student in the U.S., but forewarned is forearmed, AFAIC. I can always be of service on the Linux forum regardless. :D I will probably be asking a lot of questions in return, principally regarding legal red tape and other practical necessities.

Other than that, I began the new version of VASM (Vector Administrative and Services Menu) in Vector Linux, rewritten from scratch in Perl, and I am more or less plugging away. The end of senior year is approaching, and I am preparing to enroll in Penn State University. I plan to major in CompSci w/ a minor in linguistics...these will obviously be useful. Actually, I find mathematics difficult, which is probably an anomaly for someone who uses computers as much as I do, but I will apply myself to independent studies of the field, which has proven effective in the past for other subjects. Most of the things I know well today, I began studying very early, by myself.

Fortunately, I have greater linguistic abilities. I have studied German for 4 years and have at least something to show for it, as I am working on a translation of Sithon and Manola in German, as well as a draft of a Wikipedia article originally in German; see here: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum1/index.php?topic=11083.0

I also can already read the Devanagari alphabet and plan to study Hindi and Thai further in college on my own. By virtue of knowing Devanagari, I already know some Thai characters (mor maa and chor ching, etc.), by extension, and the whole idea of an alphasyllabary just makes more sense now, having learned a far simpler Brahmic script earlier on.) They are both excellent languages in their own right. I have often half-jokingly called Thai the 'Emacs LISP' of natural languages...which isn't entirely fitting, but makes sense in some ways. (Symbol cells could stand for tones, highly regular syntax, borrowing paradigms from all over the place, etc.)

Over the summer I will be instructing the children of one of my school teachers (Marathi no less) on basic programming. Maybe I should tell little Aditya that you guys know him as Phra Athit; heh. Not sure what language I will have picked out (maybe Python?), but I really enjoy teaching. Perhaps I could make a living out of it, and I might ask about certifications and permits for doing so, too.

Hopefully, I will be well prepared. At the rate I'm going, I should be fine, but only time will tell...

Hi my name is John and at 52 am considering a move to escape... and just change my life.

I work in IT enjoy motorbikes, music, and have satellite as my hobby.

Loads of friends in UK but just really bored of life I guess after a divorce. ( pending )

Hello everyone, been a member and reading here for a while but never got round to introducing myself, so here goes, i am simon from the north east of scotland, working in the oil business currently on a 5 and 3 week rotation in Luanda, Angola.

Been to Thailand 6 times in the last year or so but always heading for the nightlife of patong, now i need to slow things down and stop drinking so much, so will be visiting Udon Thani in the middle of next month.

perhaps i will meet up with some of you guys there.

Simon

If you're planning on slowin down, think carefully before meeting up with some TV'ers........ :D

:o to :D ........Enjoy. :D

redrus

Especially Dr PP, Simon, just leave it.................... :D:D

redrus

Well.. I'm confused..

totster :D

So's redrus ( which ain't unusual :D )

The first quote is what I was on about, come on fella's read............. :D:D

Edited by redrus

Hello everyone, been a member and reading here for a while but never got round to introducing myself, so here goes, i am simon from the north east of scotland, working in the oil business currently on a 5 and 3 week rotation in Luanda, Angola.

Been to Thailand 6 times in the last year or so but always heading for the nightlife of patong, now i need to slow things down and stop drinking so much, so will be visiting Udon Thani in the middle of next month.

perhaps i will meet up with some of you guys there.

Simon

If you're planning on slowin down, think carefully before meeting up with some TV'ers........ :D

:o to ........Enjoy.

redrus

Especially Dr PP, Simon, just leave it.................... :D:D

redrus

Well.. I'm confused..

So's redrus ( which ain't unusual :D )

The first quote is what I was on about, come on fella's read............. :D:D

Ummm... nope.. didn't help ... :D

We at Thaivisa welcome all new members in the Thai year 2549, or perhaps as most of us might know it, 2006.

Post your introduction here so we all might get a chance to know you, and you us before you start posting.

Welcome to Thaivisa, we hope you enjoy your time here :D

:D:o

Ok. My real name is vicky. I live in Hawaii, but have friends in Phuket and Kathu, so enjoy keeping up with the news and love the forum. I am a 50ish ferang woman.

Thanks for all the info and jokes and fun stuff.

Edited by sassy11

Nice, to have an invitation like that! Ok so here goes:

I'm Nathalie, 22 year old female, from Holland, doing my internship here in BKK. Been here for almost a year and sorry to say that I'll leave in July, probably to work for a year in Suriname, (South America). I've worked long days here so all my friends are Thai, from my work. On my day off I teach english (voluneer basis) at a girl orphanage (actually my most fun day of the week) and enjoy going to the movies, swimming at Soi Klang and having dinner with friends.

Oh, and in July I'll travel to Chiang Mai and want to go to Malyasia. If you have the same travel plans let me know!

Nice, to have an invitation like that! Ok so here goes:

I'm Nathalie, 22 year old female, from Holland, doing my internship here in BKK. Been here for almost a year and sorry to say that I'll leave in July, probably to work for a year in Suriname, (South America). I've worked long days here so all my friends are Thai, from my work. On my day off I teach english (voluneer basis) at a girl orphanage (actually my most fun day of the week) and enjoy going to the movies, swimming at Soi Klang and having dinner with friends.

Oh, and in July I'll travel to Chiang Mai and want to go to Malyasia. If you have the same travel plans let me know!

Welcome aboard :o

Hello eveyone,

Moto here, Irish Male 35yrs old. I live in Ireland but am regular visitor to the LOS. Usually base myself in Patayya like most of you. Last time there I did a road trip into the South Central Plains taking in Soi Yok and Ayutthaya. Look forward to contributing and having the craic with ye.

Hello eveyone,

Moto here, Irish Male 35yrs old. I live in Ireland but am regular visitor to the LOS. Usually base myself in Patayya like most of you. Last time there I did a road trip into the South Central Plains taking in Soi Yok and Ayutthaya. Look forward to contributing and having the craic with ye.

Nice to have you aboard. :o:D

หวัดดีจ้า

เพิ่งสมัครเมื่อตอนกลางวันนี่เอง ฝากเนื้อฝากตัวด้วยนะ เราเป็นคนไทย นืสัยดีด้วยแหละ

หวัดดีจ้า

เพิ่งสมัครเมื่อตอนกลางวันนี่เอง ฝากเนื้อฝากตัวด้วยนะ เราเป็นคนไทย นืสัยดีด้วยแหละ

Welcome... :o

13) English language is the only acceptable language on thaivisa.com, except of course in the Thai Language Forum where Thai is encouraged.

Forum Rules

Hello fellow "Thai-O-Philes" :D I just joined up after discovering this marvelous site (although I'm still having a bit of a problem logging in!) :o

I'm hoping to retire to the "Trat" area in the not too distant future after visiting numerous times in the last 37 years. I'm sure I'll find the wealth of info posted here invaluable. Dreaming of opening a small restaurant on some property we own near Laem Ngop.

Interests include: My Family (of course), Thai Food, Blues & Jazz Music & Motorsports of nearly all types. "Might" be bringing my metal working tools along as at least one Thai rallye team has expressed an interest in employing my talents...O.G.

Hello fellow "Thai-O-Philes" :D I just joined up after discovering this marvelous site (although I'm still having a bit of a problem logging in!) :D

I'm hoping to retire to the "Trat" area in the not too distant future after visiting numerous times in the last 37 years. I'm sure I'll find the wealth of info posted here invaluable. Dreaming of opening a small restaurant on some property we own near Laem Ngop.

Interests include: My Family (of course), Thai Food, Blues & Jazz Music & Motorsports of nearly all types. "Might" be bringing my metal working tools along as at least one Thai rallye team has expressed an interest in employing my talents...O.G.

Welcome to :o As for the blues, check out the blues factory website, place in Patters run by Davethailand :D

hello all.

i have been aware of thaivisa for quite a while, and used it to read up on jimmy in penang when i went down there for my three-entry tourist visa. i only just recently signed up though.

i live in thonburi, and i'm well-pleased that they are building a BTS stop just for me. they really do roll out the red carpet for farrangs here don't they?

i am not working as such but i do some consulting work (writing) from time to time.

i am not one of these guys who fantasized about moving to thailand but now i seem to be fairly well entrenched here--three cats, a girlfriend (not an ex-bar-girl, she has a 'real' job and is working on an MBA, thanks for asking though), a few dozen drinking buddies and a guy i'm collaborating with on a book (the book has nothing to do with thailand except that he and i both happen to be here).

so, in the immortal words of Big Jim Cole from "night of the grizzly" (a putrid, disney-fied western from deep in the bowels of the twentieth century)...

"i reckon i'm stayin'."

hello all.

i have been aware of thaivisa for quite a while, and used it to read up on jimmy in penang when i went down there for my three-entry tourist visa. i only just recently signed up though.

i live in thonburi, and i'm well-pleased that they are building a BTS stop just for me. they really do roll out the red carpet for farrangs here don't they?

i am not working as such but i do some consulting work (writing) from time to time.

i am not one of these guys who fantasized about moving to thailand but now i seem to be fairly well entrenched here--three cats, a girlfriend (not an ex-bar-girl, she has a 'real' job and is working on an MBA, thanks for asking though), a few dozen drinking buddies and a guy i'm collaborating with on a book (the book has nothing to do with thailand except that he and i both happen to be here).

so, in the immortal words of Big Jim Cole from "night of the grizzly" (a putrid, disney-fied western from deep in the bowels of the twentieth century)...

"i reckon i'm stayin'."

Stay in with us. Welcome aboard. :o:D

Hi to All,

This is my first day at this forum. My girlfriend and I are from Kuala Lumpur and we travel to Thailand quite often for a year now. Love the food and the people in thailand. Hope to be able to find out more about thailand from all of you. Would like to know when is the upcoming mega shopping sale in Thailand as we are planning to drive up into Hatyai for some shopping during that time....would anyone be able to tell me please?

Welcome to visit our travel blog to see more on our adventures inside and outside of Thailand.

http://shamog.blogspot.com

Cheers,

Paul

:o

Hi to All,

This is my first day at this forum. My girlfriend and I are from Kuala Lumpur and we travel to Thailand quite often for a year now. Love the food and the people in thailand. Hope to be able to find out more about thailand from all of you. Would like to know when is the upcoming mega shopping sale in Thailand as we are planning to drive up into Hatyai for some shopping during that time....would anyone be able to tell me please?

Welcome to visit our travel blog to see more on our adventures inside and outside of Thailand.

Cheers,

Paul

:D

Hi paul...

:D to :o

I just had a quick look at your blog... it looks very interesting, I've bookmarked it for reading later.. don't forget there is a blog here also.. :D

Hi to All,

Cheers,

Paul

:D

Hi paul...

:D to :o

I just had a quick look at your blog... it looks very interesting, I've bookmarked it for reading later.. don't forget there is a blog here also.. :D

Hi Totster,

Thanks for the welcome.

Cheers,

Paul

My name is Michael and I just moved here. I've been coming here for years and finally moved here. Can some one point me in the right direction for meeting people? I can't seem to find any sites that have farangs on it.

Thanks,

Michael

Pop into the nearest bar.