Seventh suicide attributed to lack of rice-pledging payments

webfact

while we have all the fancy words on the keyword, the number 8 bad news just arrived :

RT@tulsathit: RT @PatricLand: 8th death- indebted rice farmer in Chachoengsao killed self by drinking fertilizer via @TNEWSTV fb.me/2NNAsCMPt

I know it may be just as little as the spending on a luxury weekend for someone high there, but it is a life decision for a grass root farmer.

shame on anyone getting benefits from this rice programme. your money would have changed the life of 8 farmers and their families.

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know many farmers lack much formal education but to believe in a scheme that offered to pay them 50% more than the market price for their rice was ever going to be more than a scam was being naive in the extreme. They should have just sold their rice to the brokers at the market price at harvest time.

But the scheme dates back to 2005 under the first Thaksin government and the Abhisit government introduced a rice guarantee scheme which paid the difference with the guaranteed price. So they had got used to these crop subsidy schemes. How could they be expected to know it would collapse, or when it would collapse, even if they suspected it? It seemed to be a government guarantee, albeit without any penalties for late payment. Who would sell at the market price under these conditions? Thais are also used to government subsidies for diesel and LPG etc. When the first reports came out that payments were late in some provinces but BAAC managers assured farmers they would be paid in two weeks, it seemed reasonable. Who would imagine that the government would fail to arrange the funding and then pull the plug on parliament before authorising government guarantees for the loans? It is inconceivable.

Personally I wouldn't find manslaughter charges far fetched against Yingluck, Kittirat, Nitwithamrong etc in addition to fraud and malfeasance.

Yes, but if you've ever spent time with these people you will know they are largely unaware of how the world works and very vulnerable.

Blaming them for it is like blaming an old woman for being mugged.

The Thai government is 100% responsible for an ugly crime against its own people, and it should pay up no matter what.

Blaming them for selfishly killing themselves is more like blaming Mrs Bobbit (& many Thai ladies) for chopping off their husband's joy sticks. Temporary insanity. Justified long prison terms. Guilty as charged.

But where is the proof the woman found hung killed herself & it was not a murder. It would make a great excuse for a husband who wanted to rid himself of the wife. Or for anti gov propaganda. Pay a few guys off to off their spouses & they kill two birds with one stone.

But of course all those foreigners skydiving w/o a parachute off hirises were suicides. Yeah right. Believe everything you read in the Thai press.

Finding it hard to believe what I am reading in your posts. Complete absence of empathy or any sense of humanity. Sick.

Ad hominen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

irrelevant conclusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies_of_irrelevance

Red herring:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

Edited by oldthaihand99

They don't hang themselves because they don't get the money from the rice.

They hang themselves because they borrowed at ridiculous rates and the loan sharks run behind .

If government paid the farmers they didn't need to borrow .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

These are earlier loans to buy new trucks, big-screen TVs, Galaxy phones, and other farming essentials.

Blaming them for selfishly killing themselves is more like blaming Mrs Bobbit (& many Thai ladies) for chopping off their husband's joy sticks. Temporary insanity. Justified long prison terms. Guilty as charged.

But where is the proof the woman found hung killed herself & it was not a murder. It would make a great excuse for a husband who wanted to rid himself of the wife. Or for anti gov propaganda. Pay a few guys off to off their spouses & they kill two birds with one stone.

But of course all those foreigners skydiving w/o a parachute off hirises were suicides. Yeah right. Believe everything you read in the Thai press.

Finding it hard to believe what I am reading in your posts. Complete absence of empathy or any sense of humanity. Sick.

Ad hominen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

irrelevant conclusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies_of_irrelevance

Red herring:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

Nope on all counts. A woman has died in tragic circumstances and all you do is drag in nonsense conspiracy theories and insensitive comments on other suicides.

Nothing you have said so far properly addresses my points, i.e. with sound reasonings, known facts and logical points. Instead you use only slanders and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbal_abuse

against my person, someone you don't know, & in violation of forum rules.

Get off your high horse.

Edited by oldthaihand99

@oldthaihand99

True I don't know you. But I stand by everything I said about your posts.

I cannot see where I have insulted you personally, enlighten me.

I can only suggest rereading the thread. In any case i am finding the (off) topic quite boring.

BTW does anyone have anything to post except the same old "mob mentality" that i knew would flood this topic before reading a single post? I'd rather see a Perry Mason mentality.

Edited by oldthaihand99

@oldthaihand99

I can only suggest rereading the thread. In any case i am finding the (off) topic quite boring.

BTW does anyone have anything to post except the same old "mob mentality" that i knew would flood this topic before reading a single post? I'd rather see a Perry Mason mentality.

Read it. Still disagree. But yes we are off topic

@oldthaihand99

Fill yer boots oldthai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In9s2DCQYko

As usual, in Thailands kow tow history, the elites screw the little people.

But this time it's the LEGENDARY FRIEND of the little people VISIBLY doing the screwing.

It's been going on all long like that, but not in a way the poor were able to see,

now like a redheaded step child in a dark haired family, it's there on full display for all too see.

Who's your daddy? It ain't that Kuhn T.

A message from Thaksin to the rice farmers:

A stage full of monkeys!!!

Let it be indeed. You stay dirt poor but I and my friends here get richer after stealing your money.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

They hang themselves because they borrowed at ridiculous rates and the loan sharks run behind .

Are you one of Thaksin's 'cyber warriors'?

• Like 2

The farmers were probably led a bit blindly into this scheme on the trust of the red shiorts that were promoting it for thaksin so the ptp would win the election. Now what have the ptp done for these innocent farmers, absolutely nothing but destroy them and cause 7 to kill themsleves, to top it off they show no sympathy what so ever and the red scum that come in here are doing the same thing, screw the farmers as long as we stay in power. They blame suthep(even though he is an idiot as well) for it yet he is not the one that didnt pay them the money owed or payments past due because that allows them to sleep at night thinking they are perfect, you want to blame people, blame those backing the reds and the ptp/thaksin because they are directly responsible for all of this sh*t, anyone that tries to turn it away is simply being two faced and pandering to thaksin, they dont care about the farmers that die just themselves and their biased crap. Anyone coming in here now and saying it is sutheps fault is being pathetic, find your balls and be honest about it, you know who is to blame but simply cannot admit your own guilt in backing them. Lets hope that the dying over the rice scam has ended, enough farmers have paid with their lives for the ptp/red scum alreadymad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif

I think Suthep is feeling guilty, the murderous scumbag has changed his mind, I see in another headline he is asking commercial banks to approve loans.

Those of us that live out here have a very good handle on what is going on day to day in both the political and social issues of this country. We are all pretty much aware of who has done what and who is responsible, we have our gripes with each other but comments have never beens so disgusting as in the last two months. For the best part of those two months now TV has been inflltrated by folks with a very recent join date and in comparison a very large post rate. The 3 guys above along with 'Pipkins', come on in and deliberately try to inflame ANY thread on this forum. There is a forum rule that is broken by the 4 guys above almost on a continuous basis:

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

I respectfully request that these guys should be 'looked' in to in terms of posts, IP addresses etc etc for duplicate accounts. It is clear since the beginning of these troubles they have engaged in nothing but the most provocative of statements and comments that has been designed to nothing other than inflame argument. The first one is a prime example. ANYBODY knows that the current tragedy involving the farmers is an ongoing long term issue caused by the Government. Yet just to throw some gasoline on the fire prbkk comes out with "Tragic. More blood on Suthep's hands. His vindictive efforts to block these payments will come back to haunt him". Now in no way can that be considered a reasonable comment by any reasonable thinking person. Whilst it may be good for post count figures it is definitely not good for this site that these trolls are roaming freely and currently inflaming every single thread.

By the way prbkk what is 'vindictive' would be someone forwarding your comment above to Sutheps legal team, because for around $1500 they would start a class action against this site, in order to avoid such an action the site owners would be requested to provide your complete registration and account details within 7 days so that you could have your ass sued off or be thrown in jail. Failure of a site to provide the details subjects them to the same class action and makes them responsible (this is a process going on all over the world and is subject to both local and international law), so what do you think they would do. The comments above are reprehensible. It is hardly surprising that so many members have posts deleted claiming that people must be being paid to comment as how else can they rationalize how such blatantly wrong and inflaming comments make their way on here. For me I just put it down to nasty ill-informed people wanting to jerk off at the anger they cause. In this case, site satisfaction and contentment is inversely proportional to the number of post counts. I am all for people having different opinions but the four above take it way too far. Enough is enough.

Next time you have a hissy fit, why don't have a read of a Yingluck thread ? The snide, hate filled comments by some of the low life critters are disgraceful. Like her or hate her, she has shown a lot more class and maturity than Suthep or Abhisit, and a lot of posters on here for that matter. Why anyone still supports Suthep the aspiring bonehead dictator charged with murder, is beyond me but thats just my opinion and I can live with others opinions without having a hissy fit. Finally, open you eyes and have a look around. Suthep loving , nasty Thakin hating trolls galore. Please don't tell me you are shocked and deny it.... if you do you will have lost pretty much all credibility

ps i did have a chuckle at the irony of presumably a Abhisit/Suthep supporter pursuing cheap pseudo legal means to silence opponents and lobby courts. The dems would be proud.

Edited by moonao

RIP, my prayers are with the family involved in this truly heartbreaking story.

I hope that Yingluck & Co read this article, and realise that their opportunistic scam has had unforgivable repercussions and are an act of mass-oppression against some of the poorest and most unfortunate people in this great nation.

The farmers were promised every grain of rice was covered by the scheme so many planted as much as they could, renting land, borrowing from cooperatives and/or the BAAAC for fertilizer,, costs of ploughing, labour for planting and harvesting, insecticides.

Now the coop, bank and loan sharks are calling in the debts.

The government owe it to the farmers to pay them as soon as possible..

But they are having difficulty selling old, overpriced rice to foreign sceptics.

thanks to the : i dont save any baht for a rainy day, as i could be dead tomorrow, attitude

many thai people have 0 baht saved up when shit like this hit the fan

sorry he had no farang ATM family member he could milk, this time for a good reason

so buddist people cannot do abortion, but suicide is ok ?

no temples that could have helped him? seems a like seem to swim in money from donations

The problem here is that Thais think they will get a lot of money, but it is not in their hand, but that does not stop them from going out and borrow on money they have not even seen yet.

It is understandable that some people do that. But you are being too cynical about Thais they are not as naive as you. You would think that they have not seen it yet. What really happened is that the government defrauded the farmers by trading their rice for a piece of worthless paper. Paper that is suppose to represent hard cash. They have seen the money, otherwise they would have handed over their rice to the government. But unfortunately, the administration lack of moral and ethical value abused the democratic system by using it as a means to trick the farmers into trusting them. And you helped validate the corrupt government actions.

And that brings us to another point about politicizing the farmers plight. If anything it's the PTP that took the cake on that one. Offer some unsustainable policies in the name of these poor farmers and then rip them off and then have the audacity to ask all of Thailand to pay for their robbery. Good going all you PTP supporters. You hardly care about anyone else but yourself. It is clear you don't know the true meaning of democracy.

• Like 1

These are earlier loans to buy new trucks, big-screen TVs, Galaxy phones, and other farming essentials.

Can you please tell us all which rural village you live in so that we can see these items.

Out in the village where I live called Klong Lan, where co-incidently a farmers wife killed herself as the government had NOT paid her for the crops she sold to them, not many people have new trucks, big-screen TVs Galaxy tads and Iphones. At least none of the farming people that I know have them.

Never mind, don't let the truth get in the way when lies suit your purpose better.

The so called TV red supporters don't support the poor, they support Thaksin and Yingluck.

Can you please tell us all which rural village you live in so that we can see these items.

Out in the village where I live called Klong Lan, where co-incidently a farmers wife killed herself as the government had NOT paid her for the crops she sold to them, not many people have new trucks, big-screen TVs Galaxy tads and Iphones. At least none of the farming people that I know have them.

Never mind, don't let the truth get in the way when lies suit your purpose better.

Well said.

• Like 2

.........Those of us that live out here have a very good handle on what is going on day to day in both the political and social issues of this country. We are all pretty much aware of who has done what and who is responsible, we have our gripes with each other but comments have never beens so disgusting as in the last two months. For the best part of those two months now TV has been inflltrated by folks with a very recent join date and in comparison a very large post rate. The 3 guys above along with 'Pipkins', come on in and deliberately try to inflame ANY thread on this forum. There is a forum rule that is broken by the 4 guys above almost on a continuous basis:............

..........I respectfully request that these guys should be 'looked' in to in terms of posts, IP addresses etc etc for duplicate accounts. It is clear since the beginning of these troubles they have engaged in nothing but the most provocative of statements and comments that has been designed to nothing other than inflame argument. ...............

Hear hear!! Well said, that man.

• Like 2

L

One would imagine that Jomtien serves as a barometer for what constitutes a "rural village" for OMGImInPattaya.

• Like 1