Stress drives another farmer to suicide

Lite Beer

RICE-PLEDGING SCHEME
Stress drives another farmer to suicide
THE SUNDAY NATION February 16, 2014 1:00 am

30226933-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bigger protests planned over delay in payments; govt to sell 10 million tonnes of rice

AS PROTESTING farmers eye organising a bigger rally in Bangkok tomorrow over the government's failure to pay them under the rice-pledging scheme, another farmer has reportedly committed suicide due to financial stress.

The farmer took his life in Pathum Thani yesterday. His death is believed to be the ninth such suicide.

Deputy Minister of Commerce Yanyong Phuangrach, meanwhile, inspected a pledged-rice warehouse in Ayutthaya and revealed the caretaker government planned to sell 10 million tonnes of pledged rice.

He also affirmed the nationwide rice storage facilities were transparently managed and still had complete rice stocks. Rice in 10 warehouses had been damaged by fires or high humidity, he said.

Farmer Anan Saiprayong, 49, was found hanging at his home in Pathum Thani's Muang district at 11am.

His wife Chanthana told police that Anan headed a farmers' group that bought Bt600,000 in seeds, fertilisers and pesticides from an investor to fund the next rice-growing season while waiting for the rice-pledging scheme's overdue payments.

She said stress over the debt combined with not being able to pay his home mortgage possibly led him to kill himself.

In the meantime, Kittisak Rattanawaraha, speaking for northern farmers, said some 5,000 farmers would be mobilised from the North, West and Northeast to join the farmers' rally outside the Ministry of Commerce in Bangkok tomorrow.

The other group, made up of farmers from Phichit, Nakhon Sawan, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet and Phitsanulok, said they would not join others yet, until a meeting of protest leaders is held on February 24-25 to determine their next move.

In related news, the Lawyers Council of Thailand, representing affected farmers, has started documenting farmers' complaints in Phrom Phiram, Phitsanulok, in a bid to sue the caretaker Prime Minister Yimgluck Shinawatra and others involved in the rice-pledging scheme. Some 100 farmers have filed complaints.

The council's Phitsanulok branch president, Saroj Chansiri, said the organisation's provincial branches would gather complaints and documents to demand justice for the affected farmers.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-16

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They plan to sell 10 million tons. Why didn't they already sell? How many more desperate people have to die?

If the government retires money can be borrowed for paying the farmers. The game is over for the shinas anyway. Do they need the extra time to cover up their wrong doings?

• Like 1

This is not something unique to Thailand its happening in Australia.

Really? The govt not paying the farmers for months and need to keep borrowing money while there is still inventory? And do countries need to be like Australia? And what other countries does it happen to? Only a fool follow a fool.

• Like 2

Believed to be a result of the rice pledging scheme. Um I believe in the tooth fairy also. The whole scheme has been a complete disaster no argument there but lot of farmers are trying to plant additional crops to cash in. A lot of it is greed and if they just stuck to their normal season they wouldn't find themselves in so much debt. From what my wife tells me anyway who owns numerous fields in the Chai Nat area. Farmers aren't giving the land time to recover after a crop before they are planting more and purchasing fertilisers to keep it producing as fast as possible.

Believed to be a result of the rice pledging scheme. Um I believe in the tooth fairy also. The whole scheme has been a complete disaster no argument there but lot of farmers are trying to plant additional crops to cash in. A lot of it is greed and if they just stuck to their normal season they wouldn't find themselves in so much debt. From what my wife tells me anyway who owns numerous fields in the Chai Nat area. Farmers aren't giving the land time to recover after a crop before they are planting more and purchasing fertilisers to keep it producing as fast as possible.

Without doubt farmers are growing too much rice. Where we live 3 sometimes 4 crops a year are grown. The paddy itself is lifeless and that sort of cycle is only possible through the use of pesticides and fertilisers.....alot of.

However that was going on before this debacle as it was still profitable to do even without a 15k subsidy.

Sorry for these who dont see a way out of their problems, but money is no reason for suicide, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. High time for a arrest warrant for negligent homicide against PM, finance and commerce-minister. If they are to stupid to make their job, they should resign now or go to prision for murder, these thugs.

• Like 1

I wonder if people realize that many farmers have borrowed money in order to continue given they haven't been paid for months. Without income from what they have sold because of the failings of the government, they really don't have much choice unless they want to stop farming.

These money lenders charge somewhere between 50% a year, if loan backed by property! interest and registration fees charged up front and added to the loan. Failure to pay and the asset, usually valued at several times the amount borrowed, goes to the lender. Too much to repay and too much to lose snares the farmer into the cycle of debt because they are too ignorant to see where the cycle will lead.

For others pledging no assets the rates are multiples higher and utterly unfeasible, yet when there is no hope in sight or maybe medical or vets bills to pay, can seem the way to go if you have no money.

Thailand has a law capping interest for private lenders at 15% precisely to stop this sort of thing, but for some reason the courts do not seem to do much to enforce or punish money lenders who basically steal property through this opportunity even though it is illegal.

This form of moneylending should be exposed and stopped with harsh penalties meted out to those who continue to take advantage of people this way. Thai justice is not being done.

This is not something unique to Thailand its happening in Australia.

one word....Bullshit...

actually it is not bullshite, farmers do commit suicide in Australia also. I have personally investigated suicides of farmers and completed reports for the coroner.

• Like 1

Look, people commit suicide everywhere, all the time....

Maybe this farmer would have committed suicide even if we did not have this rice pledging fiasco. Who says it is linked to rice pledging.

I bet there are other suicides in Thailand by people other than farmers, but they are not reported because there is no correlated event associated with them. Say, for example, students were not granted loans. Then every student who committed suicide during this period would be associated with no loan grants regardless if there was an association or not.

I feel sad for the suicide, but it is a stretch to think every bad thing that happens to farmers is a result of rice pledging. Correlation, not causation!!!!

Makes for a dramatic story though - which Thais love.

Without doubt farmers are growing too much rice. Where we live 3 sometimes 4 crops a year are grown. The paddy itself is lifeless and that sort of cycle is only possible through the use of pesticides and fertilisers.....alot of.

However that was going on before this debacle as it was still profitable to do even without a 15k subsidy.

In this part of Isaan we only get one crop of hom mali a year, there isn't enough water to cultivate much outside of the rainy season. My son in law is trying to keep his vegetable garden alive but few people here bother. His wife might sell for 100B a day if she's lucky. I get a bit tired of ignorant comments about rice farmers.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

I should have added that we live in Kanchanaburi which has a fantastic irrigation system of canals which makes 3 or 4 crops a year possible.

My Thai family are also rice farmers.

• Like 1

What a garbage story. No opinion from a forensic psychiatrist, no autopsy results to rule out an underlying organic factor, no investigation to determine if there are other factors involved such as alcoholism, misadventure or existing mental illness.

The conclusion of suicide from stress is made solely upon the wife's statement that stress over the debt combined with not being able to pay his home mortgage possibly led him to kill himself. Next time a westerner takes a leap off a balcony keep that in mind, when considering the contributing factors. The money issues are probably one of many other contributing factors. In any given year, long before the rice pledging program, farmers were killing themselves, just as other Thais do every year in Thailand.

BTW, suicide is a reportable activity under WHO protocols .20 and 30 years ago, Thai suicide rates were significantly higher. The decrease coincided with the period when Thaksin became PM and it reached its lowest point in the final year of Thaksin's administration. It increased slightly under the military junta and Democrat governments. Using the logic of some people, the Thai governments of the 80's and 90's should be condemned because the suicide rates were significantly higher during that period and Thaksin should be praised.

The reality is that as all governments since 2001 have provided some mental health services. Drug and alcohol addiction/dependency is not as bad as it was 30 years ago, some HIV and cancer patients have hope, and the population is more prosperous compared to the 80's and 90's. These changes are reflected in the suicide rate.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2

The Yingluck PTP government's treatment of its own most prized constituency puts me to mind of Mark Twain's remark about Bret Harte, who also had a rather troublesome history with creditors to the point he abandoned his family. Twain referred to Harte as, "The Immortal Bilk."

Look, people commit suicide everywhere, all the time....

Maybe this farmer would have committed suicide even if we did not have this rice pledging fiasco. Who says it is linked to rice pledging.

I bet there are other suicides in Thailand by people other than farmers, but they are not reported because there is no correlated event associated with them. Say, for example, students were not granted loans. Then every student who committed suicide during this period would be associated with no loan grants regardless if there was an association or not.

I feel sad for the suicide, but it is a stretch to think every bad thing that happens to farmers is a result of rice pledging. Correlation, not causation!!!!

Makes for a dramatic story though - which Thais love.

Not a stretch at all.

Clear reason for this unfortunate man's suicide was financial stress [his wife's words more or less, not speculation on my part]. That is linked to the non payment for his rice.

I'm not saying that PT are directly responsible, could well be other factors, but the botched job they have made of paying for the rice is creating a lot of misery in farmers lives and that is too much to cope with for some of them.

• Like 2