AirAsia misleading " All-in" fares promo

ezzra

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wefinesse, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:39, said:

Due to this delay, I missed the last train out of Tokyo and had to pocket out over 300$US as taxi fare. Also if you ever write them a complain/request/whatever, there is no way you can prove you did so, the way they have it set up. I flew several years with them, and they did not refund money due to me several times for cancelled flights due to medical reasons (as per their terms and conditions). Accordingly, I rightfully believe they are also not a honest organization and will try to circumvent their obligations, when it comes to paying back at least - BEWARE.

Hmm. Did you purchase AirAsia's insurance? Did you have a personal travel insurance policy?

I don't ever purchase airline insurance as I'm covered by travel insurance.

All In is a joke... they still charge you to select a seat... above the All In... then the tricky Travel Insurance tab which is intentionally worded... are you sure? meaning are you sure you do or don't want it to add to the price.

Their deceptive actions are unregulated and no government will go after them (at least in Asia) because now everyone can fly!

Now they are giving away 3,000,000 seats... have you tried logging in to the site?

If anyone find a free seat anywhere, please let me know!

• Like 2

All In is a joke... they still charge you to select a seat...

Don't select a seat then. Turn up at the airport and accept a free seat. Easy.

...then the tricky Travel Insurance tab which is intentionally worded... are you sure? meaning are you sure you do or don't want it to add to the price.

Their deceptive actions are unregulated and no government will go after them (at least in Asia) because now everyone can fly!

post-175321-0-33472700-1393173474_thumb.

What tricky Travel Insurance tab? Looks simple enough to me and not an effort to hit the cancel button. It's only deceptive if you do not carefully digest all the information in front of you and then you deceive yourself through your own negligence.

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 1

AirAsia pioneered the "airfare chisel". Their fares all have up sell after up sell. And then towards the end the insurance opt out. Could that be any more confusing the first 20 times you book? I bet that alone net them millions a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All In is a joke... they still charge you to select a seat...

Don't select a seat then. Turn up at the airport and accept a free seat. Easy.

...then the tricky Travel Insurance tab which is intentionally worded... are you sure? meaning are you sure you do or don't want it to add to the price.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gAA.png

What tricky Travel Insurance tab? Looks simple enough to me and not an effort to hit the cancel button. It's only deceptive if you do not carefully digest all the information in front of you and then you deceive yourself through your own negligence.

Very difficult for some ! Reading / comprehension is hard !

When I first saw that I laughed and hit the cancel button!

Their fare representations are misleading, if not fraudulent. The add-on required fees and taxes, at least, should be reflected in their 'all in' fares, and all other fees and surcharges should be clearly articulated prior to the point of having to enter traveler information and moving to payment options. Further, they have the practice of automatically adding optional for-cost items (checked baggage, travel insurance, seat selection, etc.), and forcing you to manually opt-out of each...else be charged. Add to all of that a seemingly frequent occurrence of Air Asia charging credit cards for online ticket purchases, sending confirmed reservation e-mails, and then, upon check-in attempt, claiming the credit card transaction was cancelled....and requiring a duplicate cash payment for travel. Their business practices are questionable, IMHO.

Their fare representations are misleading, if not fraudulent. The add-on required fees and taxes, at least, should be reflected in their 'all in' fares, and all other fees and surcharges should be clearly articulated prior to the point of having to enter traveler information and moving to payment options. Further, they have the practice of automatically adding optional for-cost items (checked baggage, travel insurance, seat selection, etc.), and forcing you to manually opt-out of each...else be charged. Add to all of that a seemingly frequent occurrence of Air Asia charging credit cards for online ticket purchases, sending confirmed reservation e-mails, and then, upon check-in attempt, claiming the credit card transaction was cancelled....and requiring a duplicate cash payment for travel. Their business practices are questionable, IMHO.

All-in is All-in, and should not be the starting point for a multi-task effort to remove unwanted services, items, and fees. That is deceptive, period!

• Like 1

abq2020, on 23 Feb 2014 - 18:25, said:

Further, they have the practice of automatically adding optional for-cost items (checked baggage, travel insurance, seat selection, etc.), and forcing you to manually opt-out of each...else be charged.

Because the majority will have checked baggage and like to pay for insurance. Seat selection is default opted out.

abq2020, on 23 Feb 2014 - 18:25, said:

Add to all of that a seemingly frequent occurrence of Air Asia charging credit cards for online ticket purchases

Get yourself a Thai bank account and you can avoid the heavy credit/debit card charges.

AA can't keep everyone happy with their default settings. It's up to the consumer to opt in or opt out. As I stated in my earlier post, two adults travelling PHS - DMK return with no checked baggage for £12 each, each way is an absolute bargain. I always proceed through online booking clicking on or off, as necessary, and arrive at a very satisfactory price.

If you don't enjoy the process and feel you're being ripped off then take an alternative carrier or mode of transport.

£12 per head per leg does me and will never moan when the price is as competitive as this.

Have you tried walking?

All-in is All-in, and should not be the starting point for a multi-task effort to remove unwanted services, items, and fees. That is deceptive, period!

Then look at it this way, those "clever enough" to navigate that terrible, nasty, conniving, deceptive, tricky (did I leave anything out?) user interface get to fly for less. 'Works for me. If you're not competitive in the area of "clever", then fly with someone else. But I really DON'T want big brother sticking his nose in to "regulate" - for sure and for certain THAT'LL BE a surcharge you CANNOT opt out of!!

• Like 1

POMCHOP- I have been flying AA four to 6 times per year. I can get good fares. But the planes are usually late but always seem to arrive early. It was puzzling. I had been wondering why their flights take so long. Well, they add about 20-30 minutes to what it should take to Chiang Mai. Voila! They leave late but arrive early. Devious but it works for them.

They do piss me off because their website is useless in the States. I can't book a flight from the States. My credit card company said they approved the charge but they never heard from AA. Their live chat is non-existent. I had to fill out a form and then never heard back from them.. No customer service available.

The cheapest fare advertised might not be available when you book. They might only have 30 seats on one particular flight at that price...so you gotta be quick! As for the all-in thing, they definitely are! I use AA a ton, and when they give you the all-in price, that's the price that includes those pesky "fuel surcharges" -- some airlines very misleadingly call it a "Fuel tax." Air Asia puts it all together, which I love! But you still be a bit of tax and so on on top of that. And, of course, any add ons you opt into.

Great airline. Love Air Asia!

• Like 1

All In is a joke... they still charge you to select a seat... above the All In... then the tricky Travel Insurance tab which is intentionally worded... are you sure? meaning are you sure you do or don't want it to add to the price.

Now they are giving away 3,000,000 seats... have you tried logging in to the site?

If anyone find a free seat anywhere, please let me know!

Incorrect !

No charge for the seat. If you want, just do not select any seat and press continue. You will not be charged, and can request a seat at check in.

What a big spender you are...reserving a coach seat is (I forgot because I never have to do that)...less that 75 baht.

I always get an aisle seat...just show up as soon as the counter opens...and request one. (or a window). Freebeeeeeee !!!!

They have cheaper flights because many people like paying for us free loaders ...in that they buy their seats, and meals and carry tons of baggage. They also opt in for the insurance. Wiser folks ride off of their generousity and save about 600 baht on all that crapola.

• Like 1

Every airline on the planet has a bad day. This directed to the man on an extended repair as he was onboard..and sweating up a storm.

Some crash...even the good ones. Some are delayed for weather, Some are delayed for taxi space, and some are delayed for a last minute safety check/repair. That is air travel across the board. One mishap on Air Asia does not make them the worst. Had the same problems on aircraft all over this planet.

I just tried a mock booking on AA. Seems to me the only way you really save is if you are travelling with just your underpants in a backpack. Join the backpacker brigade. If you want to take one suitcase, you will end up paying more or less the same price as Lionair (5600 bt for 2 from CNX to DMK return).

And LionAir don't b*gger you around with all the add-ons and "choices". At one point in the AirAsia "book-in" they will ask you to check the box that says [not accurate words, I no longer have it in front of me] "I agree to the insurance and to the Terms and Conditions etcetcetc". [my bold]

Ok, so it is normal to tick the Terms and Conditions box, but I have never seen before an attempt to sell insurance AS PART of the acceptance of booking terms.

Forgot to mention that when you enter the AA website you are "welcomed" to "our waiting room". What an absurd come-on.

And then, when you are finally shown into the royal presence of the AA booking site, you are given 10 minutes to look for times, prices, fill in your personal details and uncheck all the stuff they expect you, being a naive newcomer to their site, to leave "checked".

The 10 minutes is of course meant to hurry you into making decisions that are likely not to be in your favour. Only if you know the AA website off by heart and are a regular visitor to their "waiting room' will you end up getting these so-called cheap fares.

• Like 1

I just tried a mock booking on AA. Seems to me the only way you really save is if you are travelling with just your underpants in a backpack. Join the backpacker brigade. If you want to take one suitcase, you will end up paying more or less the same price as Lionair (5600 bt for 2 from CNX to DMK return).

And LionAir don't b*gger you around with all the add-ons and "choices". At one point in the AirAsia "book-in" they will ask you to check the box that says [not accurate words, I no longer have it in front of me] "I agree to the insurance and to the Terms and Conditions etcetcetc". [my bold]

Ok, so it is normal to tick the Terms and Conditions box, but I have never seen before an attempt to sell insurance AS PART of the acceptance of booking terms.

5600 Baht for 2 X CNX-DMK return LOL. i paid 2940 Baht for 3 X CNX-DMK return AA.

Payment

Flight

3 Guest 2186.94 THB

Airport Tax 600.00 THB

Value Added Tax 153.06 THB

Total 2940.00 THB

You need to learn how to use the website and get promotions, collect points, etc.

great airline. we fly AA perhaps 6 time per year - cheap.

5600 Baht for 2 X CNX-DMK return LOL. i paid 2940 Baht for 3 X CNX-DMK return AA.

Payment

Flight

3 Guest 2186.94 THB

Airport Tax 600.00 THB

Total 2940.00 THB

You need to learn how to use the website and get promotions, collect points, etc.

As I surmised, you were just carrying your underpants in a backpack?

Booking with Air Asia:

When all else fails READ the instructions and FOLLOW them.

Nobody has a gun to your head to hit the SUBMIT PAYMENT button and EVERYTHING you are agreeing to pay for is CLEARLY

outlined on the right side of the page along with your flight details right there on the very page as SUBMIT PAYMENT.

If you see something listed there like checked baggage fee, seat request, meal or insurance then you obviously didn't uncheck or cancel or indicate you do not WANT that particular service.....do not hit submit, do not pass goal, go back and READ carefully. It might take you all of ten minutes to complete a booking and if you save about 600 baht that means you just earned about 3600 baht per hour for your time/trouble.

Payment

Flight

3 Guest 2186.94 THB

Airport Tax 600.00 THB

Total 2940.00 THB

As I surmised, you were just carrying your underpants in a backpack?

huh? we packed for 3 people for a week. i haven't "checked luggage" in over 20 years when traveling anywhere in the world. great way to lose your bags and really be in a jam when you arrive at your destination! never "check" bags....bye bye bags....

A long time ago in a land far away I used to install computer systems into places that had never seen computers before. They weren't unduly complicated - an hour's training and you'd cracked it.

Every installation I did produced someone who said 'I don't understand - I'm probably too stupid to learn how to work this'. I'd just smile and think to myself 'yes you probably are'.

I get the same feeling reading this thread...

• Like 2