AirAsia misleading " All-in" fares promo

ezzra

I have been flying with AA pretty much since they have started and I got some amazing good deals

from them, however, it never cease to amaze me when the put out a 'special all-in fare' of say, b.920

to several destinations and when attempting to book such fare, there isn't 920 baht fare or even close

to it,

I wish AA will either stop using the all-in misleading catchphrase, or alternatively, offer the published

fare in deeds,

I would have love to hear a response from AA, explain what the 'all-in' means or entrails....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok..i found it on their website.... You not going to get good answers from anyone else, except them.

They have a search option and a FAQ page for people who need more info...

Here it is.

An all-in fare comprises of the base fare and including,
  1. A non-refundable processing fee that is applicable for payments via credit, debit or charge card.
  2. Fuel surcharges, carbon offset surcharge (for flights to/from Europe) and airport taxes (except for selected airports where airport tax is collected at the point of departure).

Also note that,
  1. All fares are quoted for single journey (one-way) only
  2. All taxes must be paid at the time of purchase unless otherwise stated
  3. Foreign fares are subjected to currency exchange rates

courtesy of......http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=481&name=What+is+an+all-in+fare%3f

• Like 1

Dont all Airlines do the same?

Cheap fare= no refund= less miles etc...

As for the miles, I regularly waste 30 to 40 K miles because I cannot seem to be able to redeem them on the dates I want to fly

Than I switch to another airline .... Back to square one

I have only been able to get tickets, upgrades and hotel nights with Thai Airways, which is I cannot afford anymore

ok..i found it on their website.... You not going to get good answers from anyone else, except them.

Here it is.

1. A non-refundable processing fee that is applicable for payments via credit, debit or charge card.
  2. Fuel surcharges, carbon offset surcharge (for flights to/from Europe) and airport taxes (except for selected airports where airport tax is collected at the point of departure).

Also note that,

courtesy of......http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=481&name=What+is+an+all-in+fare%3f

I bag to differ...

Fuel surcharges and airport taxes are an add no, not inclusive in the all-in,

2 days ago they have advertised all-in one way 920 baht to PP, no such fare exist,

the cheapest one way is 1,900 baht, plus all the add on and the extra come out to 5,500

baht return,

That's one thing that annoys me, airlines and their 'cheap' fares that when you add on tax is the same as market rate fares

I asked some airline people once, how come you advertise the fares without tax as there is never a chance I will pay without the tax. They said it's cause the tax can change.

Surely, it won't change during a freaking month-long promotion though, will it

Here it is.

Also note that,

I bag to differ...

Fuel surcharges and airport taxes are an add no, not inclusive in the all-in,

2 days ago they have advertised all-in one way 920 baht to PP, no such fare exist,

the cheapest one way is 1,900 baht, plus all the add on and the extra come out to 5,500

baht return,

Nothing up with that. Stores and restaurant also add on taxes (or vats) but advertise prices for meals without that.

I just purchased two round trip tickets for an amazing low price of 550 baht (one way). The way to succeed in getting as close as possible to that price is only bring a carry on...that saves quite a bit. Also, I cancel the insurance, no meals, and no reserved seat. I am charged a bit for using a credit card (6 dollars or so)...but the "All In All" bottom line (what was deducted by my bank from my account) was 80 dollars or so. So you see, four trips (2 round way) at 550 (advertised) ..would be about 2200 baht plus the processing fee of 180 baht. (Two times) as I bought separate round trips so thats 360 baht. Bottom line 2560 baht at 32 euals about 81 or 82 usd. T

No..I do not see your point. And what a fantastic deal I got.. Compare that to Thai Air or Nok. Udon to Bangkok and back

Happy Camper am I....thanks to Air Asia. One of the best small airlines in the world......... Reallly.....look it up

• Like 1

Guys.. I was troubled with this AA couple of times, by fake offerings and delays,

There is a new flight operator: Lion Air, it's the greatest ever.. severice, and genuine rates, this is their begining here, I hope they will last for long like this, and challenge others to imrpove to the better,

• Like 2

baht return,

No there was no ad for Phnom Penh for 920b. There was/is ad for Indochina routes, All-in fare FROM 920b. Yangon, Phnom Penh and Singapore are examples what is on sale and STARTING FROM 920b for Yangon.

You can see all fares when you click the ad.

Yangon 920, Phnom Penh 1590, Singapore 1890

http://www.airasia.com/th/en/promotion/rr0370206.page

You will want to read this.... before you pass judgement !

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/awards_2013/lowcost2013.htm

Always lots of whining about air asia on this forum.

Navigating the air asia website requires you to actually READ what it says and to DECLINE those services that you do not want to buy. What is so very tough to understand about that? Don't want a meal, insurance, extra baggage,, reserved seat, priority boarding? Fine then just click no or cancel. It's not rocket science.

Are there parts of the air asia website that could be more user friendly? Sure there are. Are there parts of untold other biz websites that could be more user friendly? You bet.

Why not let the people who want extra services PAY for them and those who do not want the services do NOT PAY for them?

There is a reason Air Asia wins best budget carrier in the world. They fly newer planes, have great ontime performance, and have cute flight attendants.

Without Air Asia in the Thai market fares would be CONSIDERABLY higher and then the whiners perhaps could really have something to whine about.

If you don't want to deal with a budget airline then by all means feel free to fly Thai and pay much more and SUBSIDIZE extra services for other passengers who want them.

If you can beat the (on purpose) difficult and often misleading booking process then good on you.

If it's OK for you that maybe one day you'll be left in the cold because of cancelled flights and/or other mishaps then good for you.

However there are people that maybe are not as versed as you in negotiating the webpages of AA and those are the people that get scammed into paying more than they should.

The fact that there are indeed more whiners about Air Asia than any other airline on this forum proves my point.

But as said if you're happy with AA then by all means continue to use them, but if people have had a negative (perceived or not) experience, they have the right to whine here on this forum.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 2

Always lots of whining about air asia on this forum.

Navigating the air asia website requires you to actually READ what it says and to DECLINE those services that you do not want to buy. What is so very tough to understand about that? Don't want a meal, insurance, extra baggage,, reserved seat, priority boarding? Fine then just click no or cancel. It's not rocket science.

Are there parts of the air asia website that could be more user friendly? Sure there are. Are there parts of untold other biz websites that could be more user friendly? You bet.

Why not let the people who want extra services PAY for them and those who do not want the services do NOT PAY for them?

There is a reason Air Asia wins best budget carrier in the world. They fly newer planes, have great ontime performance, and have cute flight attendants.

Without Air Asia in the Thai market fares would be CONSIDERABLY higher and then the whiners perhaps could really have something to whine about.

If you don't want to deal with a budget airline then by all means feel free to fly Thai and pay much more and SUBSIDIZE extra services for other passengers who want them.

If you can beat the (on purpose) difficult and often misleading booking process then good on you.

If it's OK for you that maybe one day you'll be left in the cold because of cancelled flights and/or other mishaps then good for you.

However there are people that maybe are not as versed as you in negotiating the webpages of AA and those are the people that get scammed into paying more than they should.

The fact that there are indeed more whiners about Air Asia than any other airline on this forum proves my point.

But as said if you're happy with AA then by all means continue to use them, but if people have had a negative (perceived or not) experience, they have the right to whine here on this forum.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

The fact that there are more TV whiners about Air Asia is most likely because Air Asia carries a lot more TV people than any other airline in Asia....I have flown Air Asia dozens of times and have NEVER been left in the "cold" or a cancelled flight ....Air Asia has one of the best ontime records of ANY airline so your odds are likely better on Air Asia than on any of dozens of full fare airlines.....whine away.

• Like 1

Just this week, the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission announced they are going to target online travel agencies / low cost carriers and the like, who are using 'drip feed' pricing tactics, where the advertised airfare or hotel product can not actually be purchased for the advertised price. i.e. quoted prices are not inclusive of fees, taxes, booking fees & have included additional costs which must be opted out of etc etc. You know the sort of thing - you start of with a Baht 999 cost & by the time you've finished, the cost can be considerably higher.

When the ACCC prosecutes, fines can be in the millions - and I'm not talking about Baht, so must be viewed very seriously.

It'd be nice if there was a givernment body (seriously) looking after consumers interests in Thailand!

See www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-21/accc-to-crack-down-on-online-sellers-who-add-fees/5274368?section=business

For those of you from UK or Europe.. AA is just another Ryanair.. Misleading prices and just waiting for them to charge to go to the toilet... The last time I was going to use them they were charging over £21 for an emergency exit seat.. One way!!!

Edited by rmacee
  • Like 1

The final analysis and recommendation is strict regulation which would to oblige all registered carriers to quote, correct at the actual time of booking and payment:

1. On the page where the 'price' first appears, a completely transparent air fare which, very clearly states:

• Exactly what is included
  • What is not included, and what will cost extra before you reach the payment page, with a link to an honest explanation of why these charges apply

2. Another and far better option would be to oblige all airlines to quote a nett, completely honest 'what you see is what you will pay' fare inclusive of:

• All taxes, 'administration' fees, fuel and all other surcharges
  • First come-first-served seat selection
  • Standard internationally accepted flight insurance
  • Reasonable light snacks, or beverages on short haul flights
  • Reasonable catering on long-haul flights say, of 4+ hours
  • A free 15 kg bagage allowance for short haul
  • A free 20 kg bagage allowance for long haul

This would separate the wolves from the sheep - and the playing field would then be completely level.

With this, searching for deals would be so easy, on-line stress would be nil, booking done in a couple of minutes or less, and all the devious Air Asia and others' tactics of unchecking boxes, reading endless terms & condistions, etc., eliminated, once and for all.

This nett fare could be increased or reduced at any date or time of day to maximise the airline's revenue, and would apply only when the passenger books and pays.

A similar regulation could apply to hotels and restaurants who hide the real price you pay behind two ++ which add another 17%

• Like 1

iang, on 23 Feb 2014 - 14:47, said:

Just this week, the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission announced they are going to target online travel agencies / low cost carriers and the like, who are using 'drip feed' pricing tactics, where the advertised airfare or hotel product can not actually be purchased for the advertised price. i.e. quoted prices are not inclusive of fees, taxes, booking fees & have included additional costs which must be opted out of etc etc. You know the sort of thing - you start of with a Baht 999 cost & by the time you've finished, the cost can be considerably higher.

When the ACCC prosecutes, fines can be in the millions - and I'm not talking about Baht, so must be viewed very seriously.

It'd be nice if there was a givernment body (seriously) looking after consumers interests in Thailand!

See www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-21/accc-to-crack-down-on-online-sellers-who-add-fees/5274368?section=business

If only Consumer affairs Thailand had the same balls as Australia, then things would be a lot better, but in a lot of cases, now people, I did NOT say all, they are as useful as tits on a bull.

This is an interesting link. If you look at the box on the left with the winning airlines in a number of different categories, and if you consult only "ASIA" as the region, you will not see Air Asia appear anywhere when it comes to things like "comfort in Economy Class" or "staff friendliness" and other things that tend to make flying less of a bind.

The one thing I would like to see is a comparison of all airlines' leg room. If you are only going on a short one-hour run, that's neither here nor there, but if your knee is in your chin, and it's a longish flight, it may well pay not to be a cheapskate....

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The final analysis and recommendation is strict regulation which would to oblige all registered carriers to quote, correct at the actual time of booking and payment:

1. On the page where the 'price' first appears, a completely transparent air fare which, very clearly states:

• Exactly what is included
  • What is not included, and what will cost extra before you reach the payment page, with a link to an honest explanation of why these charges apply

2. Another and far better option would be to oblige all airlines to quote a nett, completely honest 'what you see is what you will pay' fare inclusive of:

• All taxes, 'administration' fees, fuel and all other surcharges
  • First come-first-served seat selection
  • Standard internationally accepted flight insurance
  • Reasonable light snacks, or beverages on short haul flights
  • Reasonable catering on long-haul flights say, of 4+ hours
  • A free 15 kg bagage allowance for short haul
  • A free 20 kg bagage allowance for long haul

This would separate the wolves from the sheep - and the playing field would then be completely level.

With this, searching for deals would be so easy, on-line stress would be nil, booking done in a couple of minutes or less, and all the devious Air Asia and others' tactics of unchecking boxes, reading endless terms & condistions, etc., eliminated, once and for all.

This nett fare could be increased or reduced at any date or time of day to maximise the airline's revenue, and would apply only when the passenger books and pays.

A similar regulation could apply to hotels and restaurants who hide the real price you pay behind two ++ which add another 17%

Congratulations!

If all your demands were met prices would rise !

I for one do not need 15-20kg of luggage nor do I wish to buy pretty useless insurance.

Nor do I need "free" drinks" , snacks or "meals" !

Lets abolish competition give us all what we do not need -----make us all pay for those who believe they are entitled .

• Like 1

if you think air asia is bad look at Cebu pacific. they have to be the worst airline in the world. they play air asia tricks but even worse. do not fly them........air asia although I don't like their nickel and dime attitude is flyable but my favorite by far is NOK air. if I have to pay a bit more on nok versus air asia . I do that in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

If you're not willing to pay the price they're asking then just don't book the ticket! Dear Lord how difficult is it? coffee1.gif

The way to succeed in getting as close as possible to that price is only bring a carry on...that saves quite a bit. Also, I cancel the insurance, no meals, and no reserved seat. I am charged a bit for using a credit card (6 dollars or so)...

Totally agree.

Air Asia have recently started DMK - PHS route so will be our first time with AA in June. As earlier stated you have to read carefully and uncheck the extras as you proceed through the online booking system. For a 55 minute flight I really have no requirement to pre-book seats at a premium, a meal or insurance. If we turn up at DMK and my wife and I are unable to sit together, I get 55 minutes of peace.

First booking is DMK - PHS return for two adults with checked luggage. Total cost 3870.80 baht (roughly £18 each, each way).

Second booking is PHS - DMK return for two adults with carry on hand luggage. Total cost 2550.80 baht (roughly £12 each, each way).

If I would have paid with my UK credit or debit card it would have added a whopping £15 processing fee for each booking (total £30). Jeez.

Fortunately I have a Bangkok Bank account and the processing fee was 40 baht for each booking (total 80 baht).

Overall, I am extremely happy with AA and can't argue with such low fares. I won't be flying with Nok Air again on this route if AA remain so competitive.

Edited by wooloomooloo

World's Best Low-Cost Airline in the 2013 World Airline Awards

This is a result of a comparative study/survey -- Not an absolute fact/conclusion.

I was waiting for over 2 hrs in KL at the back of the aircraft with all passengers inside and no A/C working in the aircraft. Imagine how hot/humid it could be when outside was over 30deg..The crew were not even apologetic. They were like bad luck. I called out - Roll the windows down guys- and the steward took it seriously and told me there are no windows to roll down and was pretty annoyed. Nerd/naive staff training I guess. Due to this delay, I missed the last train out of Tokyo and had to pocket out over 300$US as taxi fare. Also if you ever write them a complain/request/whatever, there is no way you can prove you did so, the way they have it set up. I flew several years with them, and they did not refund money due to me several times for cancelled flights due to medical reasons (as per their terms and conditions). Accordingly, I rightfully believe they are also not a honest organization and will try to circumvent their obligations, when it comes to paying back at least - BEWARE.