racism among expats in thailand

yanyk

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not really understand from OP what exactly they are saying or doing to make them racist ?

Personally I could not care less what half tattooed shaved head, drunk, uneducated peasant thinks of me or talks about me.

Anyone with half a brain can see the deal, and those who can not are not worth my time

bit racist that don't you think whistling.gif

<snip>

Not racist...though perhaps insensitive to the feeble-minded, hahaha

The only racism I've seen against blacks in Thailand came from Thais.

Just listen to some of the trash talk that goes on among white expats when they think they are amongst themselves (or at least not in the presence of a non-white). They'll slag off anything and anyone that does not fit in their mould, starting with the Thai girlfriend/wife/hooker sitting next to them.

If by expats you mean expats from Western countries, they tend to be disproportionately older white males, and older white males are the population segment in Western countries most apt to harbor racial prejudice, though of course not all of them do.

I suspect this mainly accounts for what you have noted.

Amazing how the OP has said he's had no problem amongst Thais,only among expats and a good portion the replies seem to ignore this, or try to convince him that his experience is wrong.

If claiming that only white expats stand for the racism. Then he would be a racist himself ;)

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am not Black but I am sorry that I don't agree with you. Based mostly on my experience and what I have read here on TV. I would advice you do the same and read more, as there are many post from people suggesting Racism is very high in Thailand, and not from the Expat Community.

From Expats I think they are more open to this and have more experience in this area. Hell! They live in a country where the majority are not there skin color, and you have to except many things here which are not the same as back home. So they have to be more tolerant to people and life here, if they lived here any length of time. But sadly you will find Racism in any community anywhere in the World.

I just read a Poster recently who was born and raised in Canada, but because he is of Indian Ancestry he claimed he was dealing with a lot of Racism from Thais, and only because of his skin color and ancestry. I can't count the number of posts from Black Teachers here who are overlooked for a job here by someone who has half his qualification but is White. Skin Color is very important to Thais and unfortunately for you the lighter the better.

I am glad to hear you have not experience anything along the lines of racism from Thais yet. You are actually not the lowest one on the Totem Pole or Picking Order in Thailand. Indian Ancestry and Arabs are lower than you. So just ignore the Expat who shows any signs of Racism towards you. He will learn one day that all men are equal. It is that just some of them bring their garbage with them, when they come here, instead of leaving all that back home.

Enjoy it here. To me it is a Great Place to Live. . .

Ten years in Thailand have never seen racism against anyone, except from Thais to anyone that isnt Thai. 2nd post in a month for the OP stating he feels racism exists, firstly from potential employees and now expats. Sometimes it isnt down to ones colour or culture that they are rejected or not particulary liked but down to the way the individual comes accross.......and sometimes it is imaginary. Would be nice OP if you post the 'highest forms of racism' you have experienced so wehave more of an idea what you are going through.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refused

You might have better employment opportunities as a gem dealer in Chantaburi...

at OP (brother, yo-bro, nigga! ;-))

racism everywhere, here and there, enjoy your stay!

Oh look; another big-mouthed white guy.

Be a real cracker and go say that shit to a black man's face instead of indulging your racist impulses from behind a computer screen.

Oh, I'm sorry, what's that??

You've soiled yourself at the prospect of having a blade rammed into the roof of your mouth ??!! ohmy.png.pagespeed.ce.shABmucp9T.png

Amazing how the OP has said he's had no problem amongst Thais,only among expats and a good portion the replies seem to ignore this, or try to convince him that his experience is wrong. Here's some good insight from a white man: http://youtu.be/TG4f9zR5yzY

That's hilarious but it did make me think: given all the privilege and advantages of being born white, how much of a total loser does a white guy have to be to end up hosed down, cleaned out and on the bones of his arse in Thailand?

How is it that white guys are so adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory here?

If by expats you mean expats from Western countries, they tend to be disproportionately older white males, and older white males are the population segment in Western countries most apt to harbor racial prejudice, though of course not all of them do.

this

I usually agree with you, but in this case not.

Most of the expats I know don't give a damn about skin colour, we sleep with dark skinned women, and produce brown babies.

Surely that must be the exact opposite of being racist?

No racial purity with us.

That is perhaps too generalised. Maybe more applicable to USA (which does have issues because there is a large population of Africans, most of them descendants of slaves.) Then, UK, France, Germany...? Same, or some differences?

Australia?

"Western" is usually a way of saying White. When it is used in the context of people and culture, the person saying it usually means White.

Poland, Slovakia, Russia? They are White countries but not Western. i have often seen people that they are more racist, particularly against Africans.

Older white males? Maybe because they are less well trained, and the same applies to Asians and Orientals, and the same applies to East Europeans and Russians. In other words, have not yet been trained in "Political Correctness." The Asians, in particular, are more inclined to call a spade a spade.

I usually agree with you, but in this case not.

Most of the expats I know don't give a dam_n about skin colour, we sleep with dark skinned women, and produce brown babies.

Surely that must be the exact opposite of being racist?

No racial purity with us.

With Thai and South East Asian women, not with African women. Get it? In the same way, the racial attitudes of Thai and SE Asians being mentioned, including in prostitution, applies specifically to Africans. It is because of some physical characteristics that are different to other races. The more obvious differences you would know, other differences you would not know without personal experience, and the same applpies to some cultural/behavior differences. (Generalisation, but fair generalisation when it applies to most of one's personal experience. The reason why bars and nightclubs would want to exclude them.)

"Western" is usually a way of saying White. When it is used in the context of people and culture, the person saying it usually means White.

Poland, Slovakia, Russia? They are White countries but not Western. i have often seen people that they are more racist, particularly against Africans.

&lt;deleted&gt;

Western means raised in the west.

Farang means white.

On these forums anyway.

Edited by FiftyTwo

at OP (brother, yo-bro, nigga! ;-))

racism everywhere, here and there, enjoy your stay!

Oh look; another big-mouthed white guy.

Be a real cracker and go say that shit to a black man's face instead of indulging your racist impulses from behind a computer screen.

Oh, I'm sorry, what's that??

You've soiled yourself at the prospect of having a blade rammed into the roof of your mouth ??!! ohmy.png.pagespeed.ce.shABmucp9T.png

HS, I generally love your posts and rapier-like wit, but this one.. was a little like playing into the arse breathed racist's hands.

No doubt the &lt;deleted&gt; who spouts such &lt;deleted&gt; deserves a beating, and a good one at that, but to suggest a new &lt;deleted&gt; be carved out of their palate could be a tad harsh...

Nah...................................................................................

............................actually I get it smile.png

Edited by chonabot

Amazing how the OP has said he's had no problem amongst Thais,only among expats and a good portion the replies seem to ignore this, or try to convince him that his experience is wrong. Here's some good insight from a white man: http://youtu.be/TG4f9zR5yzY

This is really, really funny stuff. And so true. Which is why I'm almost embarrassed to listen to a white guy in Thailand cry of racism. I mean, come on.

That's hilarious but it did make me think: given all the privilege and advantages of being born white, how much of a total loser does a white guy have to be to end up hosed down, cleaned out and on the bones of his arse in Thailand?

How is it that white guys are so adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory here?

You do have a point, HS. That video just reinforces my belief that farangs in Thailand who whine/whinge of being victims of racism are not only bottom-of-the-barrel losers, but incredible pus*ies as well.

Ten years in Thailand have never seen racism against anyone, except from Thais to anyone that isnt Thai. 2nd post in a month for the OP stating he feels racism exists, firstly from potential employees and now expats. Sometimes it isnt down to ones colour or culture that they are rejected or not particulary liked but down to the way the individual comes accross.......and sometimes it is imaginary. Would be nice OP if you post the 'highest forms of racism' you have experienced so wehave more of an idea what you are going through.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refused

Do you mind mentioning what subject you teach at your school? Or are you just trolling?

Do you mind mentioning what subject you teach at your school? Or are you just trolling?

There was a black man in my class at the teacher training college I went to about five years ago, I met him about a year ago, and he is still teaching. He always taught at a Language School. He has never been out of work since he first came to Thailand. He wanted to teach at a government or private school, and despite having all the qualifications, it is impossible for him.

For me, moving to Thailand like many others from the UK. Is to get away from the Black Rascism I have had to put up with.

e.g Despite being polite to him, helpful and lending my tools. A black neighbour continueously harassed me by 1. Throwing grass cuttings and tree branches all over my garden. 2. Shouted from his window for me to" Why don't you go back to Thailand; stay there and not come back." 3. He threw white paint all over my garden. 4. Rubbed grass all over my new front door. 5. I left home one morning at 7:30 am. and was out all morning. When I got home the police arrived twice in one afternoon to say he had accused me of making racist remarks to him. Even though I wasn't at home. I had shopping receipts, with dates and times to prove where I was.

Of course black rascism is prevelent on London's buses. If you are first in the queue of 10 white people. The black bus driver will always pull up at the back of the queue to let a black person on first. To move to Thailand, means, being able to get away from black racism, where blacks play the race card at every oppertunity. Whilst at the same time they want priority, preference and privilage over all other races.

I don't want to see blacks here ruining Thailand, the way they have ruined the UK. Yes the laws of Thailand are racist against foreigners, but the people are not. I can live with their laws in peace and contentment.

For me, moving to Thailand like many others from the UK. Is to get away from the Black Rascism I have had to put up with.

e.g Despite being polite to him, helpful and lending my tools. A black neighbour continueously harassed me by 1. Throwing grass cuttings and tree branches all over my garden. 2. Shouted from his window for me to" Why don't you go back to Thailand; stay there and not come back." 3. He threw white paint all over my garden. 4. Rubbed grass all over my new front door. 5. I left home one morning at 7:30 am. and was out all morning. When I got home the police arrived twice in one afternoon to say he had accused me of making racist remarks to him. Even though I wasn't at home. I had shopping receipts, with dates and times to prove where I was.

Of course black rascism is prevelent on London's buses. If you are first in the queue of 10 white people. The black bus driver will always pull up at the back of the queue to let a black person on first. To move to Thailand, means, being able to get away from black racism, where blacks play the race card at every oppertunity. Whilst at the same time they want priority, preference and privilage over all other races.

I don't want to see blacks here ruining Thailand, the way they have ruined the UK. Yes the laws of Thailand are racist against foreigners, but the people are not. I can live with their laws in peace and contentment.

Thailand's number one fool.

I don't want to see blacks here ruining Thailand, the way they have ruined the UK.

No need to feel inadequate or inferior, bro.

There are still hordes of Thai women whose nether regions won't make your little chopper feel like a sausage flying down the M1

Repeat after me . . .

Yes I can touch the sides

laugh.png

Thailand's number one fool.

Sounds like Thailand's loss, UK's gain

so you left your home and everything you had to run to Thailand and show how racist you can be too? just because you know there is no law in Thailand against that? thailand is now a free place to go and a complete &lt;deleted&gt;..congrats