Save the Prom......any ideas?

jaideeguy

As someone who rarely goes to shopping malls - only if I have to and even then I'm in and out as soon as I have bought what I need, I saw no reason to go, but like a lot of people here, I went there once out of curiosity, although I have to say it took a lot of persuading my husband, who hates anything to do with shopping to make the effort to fire up the scooter to take me all that way for pretty much no reason. I even bought something, but only just. We went to the Croc's shop as we were due to go to England and I wanted to get a pair for my sister. Problem, the Croc's were in American sizes. I take a size 5, she takes a 4 in English sizes, and I got her to send me her size in European-style CM just in case. The girl in the shop spoke about 2 words of English, and I had an incredibly hard time trying to find out if she had a conversion chart. Finding a pair that fit me was no problem, but I needed smaller and the size down from mine didn't seem big enough. When paying $50 for a pair of flip flops, I didn't want to get it wrong, especially as these were going to England so I couldn't change them if they weren't right. I would have thought this was a very basic thing to have in a shoe shop. I ended up going to a proper shoe shop, where they understood what I meant straight away and told me the size I needed. It just seemed so hard, I would have given up if we weren't leaving the country the following day. Bad homework by the store and very poor hiring decision. Some Japanese or Korean tourists were looking in the window as we left, I just hope they didn't have to ask a question.

The IKEA idea is great, although as stated there probably isn't the space. A home decoration store would be an excellent idea to service all of the new housing in Chiang Mai, but please, sell something different to the others. Please. Ditto a kitchenware and cooking supply shop. Regular, free transporation for tourists as much as permanent city dwellers is, I think, essential.

When we lived in Melbourne, the Japanese chain Diamaru opened a huge store in the city as the anchor tenant in a newly built mall, giving much needed competition to David Jones and Myer, the Australian equivalent to Central and Robinsons. Although it ultimately failed and is now a fond memory, it gave a very much needed shake up to higher end retail. Even though I really don't like shopping, I always enjoyed shopping there as the staff were trained to be incredibly polite and very, very helpful as well as knowledgeable in their respective department, a trait which had to be copied by the other two, therefore changing retailing in Melbourne forever, as customers now demand that politeness and helpfulness Daimaru or no Daimaru.

I can't see anything short of that saving it, and that would be a shame as a lot of people are employed there.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the only people going there are Dukes patrons, then the big man should offer rights to his brand name......maybe rename the venue "Dukes Emporium"

He could then market his own eatery as the biggest steak house in thailand.....the world.

Went to Promenada twice,like a ghost town with many coffee shops. Not so many now I guess?

Maya yesterday, don't think we will be rushing back.

On the other hand, as a mall Central Festival stands head and shoulders above the other new ones. If I was still in working mode,which I am not, it's the only mall I would consider having a business.

Promenada and Maya stand out as potential liabilities with Promenada the most likely not to succeed. But you never know, TIT and strange things happen.

Maybe Promenada could be converted to the new capital of Thailand government offices!

Maya, I would have thought that to have been a perfect location for more condos?

My wife and I go to Promenada occasionally for a pleasant evening out. We have never had a problem parking there. The combined indoor outdoor design makes it a nice place to stroll around. We usually eat at Dukes but have tried a few of the smaller restaurants although lately we seem to be the only patrons in some of these places. We usually check out Uniqlo and Toys R Us as we have a lot of little nephews and nieces who like surprises. We never fail to find some things to buy at Rimping. My wife has found cosmetic-like items at a pharmacy there which she can't find anywhere else. We haven't tried the cinema yet but we plan to eventually.

It would be nice if they manage to keep this place going. For instance Central Festival does not quite seem to have the ambiance for just quietly strolling around. Due to being outside of the city center converting some of the space to a boutique hotel would probably not work. Surrounding it with condos might. It would be a good selling feature to be able to walk to Promenada from your condo. With the newly widened road condos would have decent access to the rest of Chiang Mai. Worst case we don't have a surfeit of public storage space here ;)

Grin

• Like 2

A friend who works at Promenada told me last month that the rents have just been lowered, and that Section A (or is it Section 1?) was in negotiations to sell to a local owner, with the Promenada owners retaining the other section. I can't verify this information but this is what his boss told him and I'm just passing it along here.

Every popular shopping mall in Thailand seems to be garish and loud, I personally don't understand the attraction but it seems to be what brings in the customers. For a start, perhaps Promenada should install loudspeakers and giant video screens and go the same route..

A really decent gym would ensure I went there at least 3 times a week - hope it happens because right now there is not one decent one in Chiang Mai which is quite surprising.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Convert Promenada into a 'Red members' shopping Mall should be able to see the place fully packed with supporters going for their 'War Drum' speeches daily!

Restaurants will be packed and all coffee shops doing brisk business!

• Like 1

I heard there are a few Chinese owners ready with their cheque books ...waiting for the crash and they will mop it up

I pray for that to happen , convert the whole mall into a wholesale centre like MBK or Chatchuchak ...open 15-20 Chinese restaurants with the best food dim sum seafood Hong Kong roasts, straits Singapore food and it will be packed :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Where's the 'Resort'?? I remember it was first called 'The Promenada Resort Mall'.

Maybe that's coming?? or maybe they could turn one whole wing into a hotel?

It was always promoted as that and I have been wondering the same thing. The original concept was for all upgrade stores.

They missed that.

I heard there are a few Chinese owners ready with their cheque books ...waiting for the crash and they will mop it up

I pray for that to happen , convert the whole mall into a wholesale centre like MBK or Chatchuchak ...open 15-20 Chinese restaurants with the best food dim sum seafood Hong Kong roasts, straits Singapore food and it will be packed smile.png

Well they have a good Dukes and an Italian Deli restaurant opening soon under a proven restaurant management. Also leave the Theaters there.wai.gif

Unfortunately, I think that it's too late to do anything.

I noted that the OP mentioned, Duke, easy parking, movies, rimping.

Where are all the other places? Mall can't survive on those few shops. BUT I am, hate to admit it, guilty of the samething. Going there for very few things :eat, rimping, coffee(T&Ts)

I go to the Prom. because the prices although somewhat high are a lot less than the other two new malls. I also enjoy how easy it has become to find convenient parking there and the fact that it is not crowded. Good movie theater as well. I hope they find a way to stay open.

Really? Prices a lot less? where please tell !! Uniqlo, Rimping, Fuji, Sports World, etc have standard prices across all their branches in Chiang Mai, Wine Connection is more expensive because at Prom you are required to buy wine for at least 500 baht otherwise they charge for the glasses to drink it, which they do not at Nim City!!

Really? They actually charged you for the glass to drink you wine in their own place? That's just F#$%ed up dude.

I go to the Prom. because the prices although somewhat high are a lot less than the other two new malls. I also enjoy how easy it has become to find convenient parking there and the fact that it is not crowded. Good movie theater as well. I hope they find a way to stay open.

Really? Prices a lot less? where please tell !! Uniqlo, Rimping, Fuji, Sports World, etc have standard prices across all their branches in Chiang Mai, Wine Connection is more expensive because at Prom you are required to buy wine for at least 500 baht otherwise they charge for the glasses to drink it, which they do not at Nim City!!

Really? They actually charged you for the glass to drink you wine in their own place? That's just F#$%ed up dude.

Yup. thats the reality. At Wine Connection Nim City, you can buy any price bottle of wine, sit outside, and the glasses are provided free. At Wine Connection Promenada, you have to buy wine for 500 baht or more, otherwise they will charge for the use of glasses! Thats the truth!!!

I pray for that to happen , convert the whole mall into a wholesale centre like MBK or Chatchuchak ...open 15-20 Chinese restaurants with the best food dim sum seafood Hong Kong roasts, straits Singapore food and it will be packed smile.png

Well they have a good Dukes and an Italian Deli restaurant opening soon under a proven restaurant management. Also leave the Theaters there.wai.gif

Hahahahh yes leave dukes alone that is good :) I like dukes too ...theaters if it stays empty why not ...it's the closest thing to an oscar experience

If I were you, David, I would be holding my breath. Are you really going to open the second place ?!

The recent big splash at Promenada with excellent music last weekend (?) did draw a reasonable crowd. I also walked around to check the traffic IN the building not very late on Saturday night. Yes, a couple of restaurants were doing some (not a lot of) business, but the place was really empty. No coffee bar business to speak of at all. Outside? A reasonable crowd was having a good time.

I appreciate that people plan for the future and that some good investments can take time to pay off, but I hope you have deep pockets.

Oh, yes, you had better do what you can to stop Chinese tourist bashing as posted on ThaiVisa. A lot of them are shoppers !! But, come to think of it, why would they go all the way out to Promenada to shop? And I don't think that there is a Chinese restaurant! Of course, there are not many good ones in town wherever you look!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

Was just at the Prom tonight….though the place appears empty, the restaurants were mainly full, and that is the reason we went there…..I think it will do just fine. Was at Central Fes today as well, and it was a bit too busy for my likes.

Did you find it a bit loud? I know I do.

I hope the Promenada makes it as I do think it is the nicest mall in Chiang Mai. Just needs more businesses that are in demand.

there are a lot of people out that way and the area is still growing.

I had lunch at The Dukes with friends today at the Prom. (Food was great as always) David stopped by our table to say hello and confirmed the new Italian deli/trattoria will be opening soon and it will be under the Dukes management. He talked about it will be making it's own sausage and other deli products in house there as well.

I'm optimistic about the future of the Prom if it can hold it's own for the next year. There is a lot of building going on out that way and beyond that is sure to be a good source of new customers. As it sits now I favor it for ease of parking and it's location outside the city where it is easy for us country living folk to get to without having to fight city traffic.

Edited by BarnicaleBob

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Was just at the Prom tonight….though the place appears empty, the restaurants were mainly full, and that is the reason we went there…..I think it will do just fine. Was at Central Fes today as well, and it was a bit too busy for my likes.

Did you find it a bit loud? I know I do.

I hope the Promenada makes it as I do think it is the nicest mall in Chiang Mai. Just needs more businesses that are in demand.

there are a lot of people out that way and the area is still growing.

As most would know the development company had financial problems earlier so I wonder whether they ever hired a professional agent in terms getting tenants for the shops / starting the mall.

Such agents do exist in Thailand, they work out a balance of what shops / services etc., to include in the overall mall and then approach possible tenants, 'painting' to the potential tenants that it's a desirable location / desirable place to have a shop.

If the agent does a good overall potential tenants would see that they have not too much competition / not too close / not same floor, etc.

It seems like there is more activity then there has been.

I think it should become a mecca of restaurants and ditch the retail outlets. We go at least twice a week for dinner and the restaurants are superb. Mix, Dukes one Japanese BBQ restaurant where you cook at your table. If the entire mall was filled with different kinds of restaurants it would be a hit.

If The Promenada makes some good decisions and gets the new tenants they will do well. It's the best mall in Chiang Mai. Try it on the hot and smoky days coming up. Rimping, Toy's Are Us, Uniglo, all the banks and a few nice restaurants including Wine Connection, Rimping, Mixx, Fuji, The Duke's and a few others. Word is that a new Italian deli/trattoria, thank you, will open soon and a Mexican grill. Central Festival? No one is buying there to sustain the rents. Lots of people walking around and the sweet shops and the ice cream and coffee places do Ok with some of the restaurants but watch the expensive retail shops cave to the big rents. Who is paying 200 USD for a pair of trousers? Central will be the first to struggle because they are greedy. Maya and The Promenada will do OK. Dave

Was in Central Festival today. Fair amount of people. Lot's of kids. Went for movie pay my true bill and the food court which is nice but I didn't see a lot of people in it.

I drift. When I went in the first store I saw had clothes and the signs were tremendous mark downs at the till.

I thought for a t shirt at 300 baht they better have a tremendous mark down. That was a kids size. I was amazed at the listed prices on the big signs as I walked by it. If they are all that high priced I don't think they will do well. The prices they ask for in the night market are lower.

I have window shopped a bit at the electronic stores and found them to be close to prices elsewhere. Bought a camera that seemed like a reasonable priced one. Not that much up on the price of cameras.

Don't read Thai but the wife told me a lot of the restaurants were Japanese. Got to admit the tops food store there is the best western one in Chiang Mai. My opinion only of course.

Went to see the 1:30 showing of Non Stop turned out they wanted 600 baht a seat for that theater. It is theater 1. Went to the 2:30 one for 140 baht.

Was in Central Festival today. Fair amount of people. Lot's of kids. Went for movie pay my true bill and the food court which is nice but I didn't see a lot of people in it.

I drift. When I went in the first store I saw had clothes and the signs were tremendous mark downs at the till.

I thought for a t shirt at 300 baht they better have a tremendous mark down. That was a kids size. I was amazed at the listed prices on the big signs as I walked by it. If they are all that high priced I don't think they will do well. The prices they ask for in the night market are lower.

Don't read Thai but the wife told me a lot of the restaurants were Japanese.

it just shows how totally out of touch you are with what goes on in Thailand. some of those shops sell kid's shirts for 1600 Bath each and Thais visiting from BKK and elsewhere, as well as HK Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans are buying them. They are doing well. in Thailand it's all about impressions... those shirts are cheap for other Asians.

the food court is fairly empty because it's the same cheap food available anywhere. Thais and other Asians who frequent there dine at the expensive Japanese restaurants while students are dining at places like Jeffers and BKK Grill.

you need to be able to read Thai to know if a restaurant is Japanese cuisine??? wow you are out of touch! i guess posting all day and night on TV doesn't give you much time to see what's going on outside.

Don't read Thai but the wife told me a lot of the restaurants were Japanese.

it just shows how totally out of touch you are with what goes on in Thailand. some of those shops sell kid's shirts for 1600 Bath each and Thais visiting from BKK and elsewhere, as well as HK Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans are buying them. They are doing well. in Thailand it's all about impressions... those shirts are cheap for other Asians.

the food court is fairly empty because it's the same cheap food available anywhere. Thais and other Asians who frequent there dine at the expensive Japanese restaurants while students are dining at places like Jeffers and BKK Grill.

you need to be able to read Thai to know if a restaurant is Japanese cuisine??? wow you are out of touch! i guess posting all day and night on TV doesn't give you much time to see what's going on outside.

You really should drop in to the Central Festival Mall and check it out.thumbsup.gif

I hope it survives for one reason in particular: I am tired of the cloned Central/Robinson malls. Aren't you? I actually do want a different kind of option: a place to go and relax, maybe have a meal, where the kids can have fun doing something they cannot do anywhere else, where we can sit and enjoy an event.... I am not surprised it is having teething troubles when there is such a lack of initiative to make the most of or value the space by Chiang Mai itself. Most people seem content with the Festival/Robinson/Maya clone experience, and they are not ready yet for something different. Promenada is not a mall, it's a resort. That sounds like public relations BS I know, but actually it is growing on me as an idea and an experience. I think they were spot on with the initial slogan of 'More than shopping' but unfortunately it is less than shopping if that is all you use as a yardstick. The big mistake they made was to hire a Bangkok-based PR firm that clearly knew nothing about CM and whether the city was ready for this. Someone must have sanctioned the wall-to-wall coffee shops (how was that ever going to work?), and is still putting up with the Dead Sea products-down-your-throat crowd (for God's sake, really!).

A special mention must also go to UniQlo: the deliberate sabotage someone else mentioned above. My take is that UniQlo was a strategic plant by the Central/Robinson mafia. Get a potentially high-profile store to position itself as the exclusive Promenada draw/anchor, use that leverage to create enormous pressure to open on schedule, but before the development is ready. Then right after Promenada opens, reveal that there is also a UniQlo store in Promenada's main competitor, the new Central mall in town. Bangna, Hatyai... UniQlo is clearly 'in bed' with Central. Either someone played a double game on the UniQlo side, to make sure Promenada flopped, or someone in the Promenada management did a really crap job of researching that account. Either way, that cost them a lot of momentum, and does not make me rush in to buy their cheap socks!

And the second attempt at a grand opening was just pathetic folks.

But it will survive, but not before it costs the developers a load of money, and possibly their shirt. Some of the ideas suggested here have great promise in the CM context too: a branch of IKEA for a start (they will probably buy the whole thing if it fails), a decent gym (not another California rip-off one, please!) More restaurant and entertainment options - not clones from Festival - a deli is a great idea. They will come, and when they do they won't be controlled by the mall mafia, but by creative, disruptive thinkers who manage to carve out a deal with the Promenada owners because of the initial flop. When this starts to spiral upwards, it will be a fantastic opportunity for local business people with the right ideas. I hope Rimping do get cold feet, because it would be great to see them open up that space for another quality food outlet.

It will also survive because, despite all of its novelty, Central Festival clones suck in so many ways: Asia Books, Hot Pot Buffet, SlimUp, Body Shop, Watsons, Sony, Burger King, Giordana, Portland, Sizzler, Accessorize, Starbucks, Top Man, Coffee World, Puma, Jaspal, AIIZ, Chaps, Guess, Body Glove, North Face, S&P, Playboy, McDonalds, HAAS, Samsonite, ESPRIT, Levis, Mister Donut, Oishi Ramen, Yayai - and fifteen other bloody Japanese restaurants with similar fake-sounding names that are probably all owned by Central or MK anyway - are so tired and worn out brands already. When the CM crowd gets tired of strutting their stuff and discovers the only place to actually relax is on a giant plastic strawberry, they'll flock to Promenada. If they don't, the list above is all you're going to have as choice in CM and every other city in Thailand.