2014 Songkran FAQ (long)

JSixpack

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't mean that the water throwing doesn't stop on the 19th "celebration day" in PTY, however. If that report is true, it just means that people who were officially supposed to go back to work on the 20th--a small minority--now don't have to, even though many wouldn't be showing up anyway or their companies had already given them that day. (Not all; and some companies may well require work on an official holiday and then give a substitution day.) A lot of people will be traveling back to their homes near their jobs on the 20th.

So if true, it surely has little impact on the overall scheme of things, I do believe.

I looked back on the calender to find another Songkran Day which fell on Saturday - April 19, 2008. I was here on that weekend and the water throwing did stop on Saturday. Whew!!! biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.pngbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.pngbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.pngclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

That`s useful to know, I might head out this Sunday night ( 20th) for a while, should be all dry then.

As an aside the soi I am on in naklua has been ok but it is the big day for naklua tomorrow so it is going to be wet here, just in case anyone is heading up this way, getting to either Best or Tesco ( pattaya nua ) as well as most places in this area in the day will be tricky if wanting to stay dry .

Not long to go now and it will be oversmile.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I've observed over the years that many people who enjoy Songkran and complain about Songkran complainers in these type of threads don't have very good reading or comprehension skills.

You're a very good example of this as you've failed to grasp the context of the posts you're replying to...

.. which leads me to believe my theory is quite accurate - only children or people with mental disorders can enjoy water throwing for 10 days straight. I'll give a pass for perpetual drunks who come to Pattaya expressly for that purpose: ":forgive them for they know not what they do"...

+1. And so it's only logical that such posters tend to get themselves banned from the forum. Personality disorders displayed in one topic tend to show up in others as well. The great Songkran badass 'samsiam', long gone (who, by the way, eventually turned out to be a mere driver w/ his windows rolled up), comes to mind. I foresee the same fate looming in this case. smile.png

LOL. I think I had a bit of a set to with "samsiam" a year or two ago on this subject. I am in the fortunate position of being able to hibernate for three days and then take an early van for Bangkok to have a nice break while the plonkers enjoy themselves and annoy the "fxxk" out of everyone else.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how many people have been murdered this year in the name of 'fun'?

Thailand should be totally ashamed of this yearly slaughter. It makes me want to get on a plane and never come back.

Welcome to the dark ages.

We have been presented with a road accident report for Songkran, but it's meaningless unless we know the average road deaths and accidents for non-Songkran days.

Road death toll in Thailand among highest in the world

According to Wikipedia, Thailand averages 38.1 deaths per 100,000 people annually (another source places the figure a 19.9 per 100,000). With an estimated 2014 population of 67,790,616, simple calculations put the normal average weekly death toll at around 497 deaths per week.

If the published stats of 321 deaths in last years Songkran are correct, Songkran week has considerably less than the normal average weekly death rate of 497 people. I find these calculations extremely difficult to believe - given all the hype that goes into media reporting of the savage death toll on the highways of Thailand during Songkran.

According to the 2011 World Road Statistics, Thailand was one of the top five countries with the highest number of motorcycle-related deaths. One source reports: Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers. Key causes for the deaths were speeding, drunk driving or the failure to wear safety belts or crash helmets. Last year, a survey showed that only about 28% of teenage motorcyclists and about 49% of adults wore helmets. Bangkok had the highest number, or 80% of helmet wearers, while only 20% of motorcyclists in Beung Kan, Lamphun, Chaiyaphum, Narathiwat and Nakhon Phanom were found wearing helmets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

If the published stats of 321 deaths in last years Songkran are correct, Songkran week has considerably less than the normal average weekly death rate of 497 people. I find these calculations extremely difficult to believe - given all the hype that goes into media reporting of the savage death toll on the highways of Thailand during Songkran.

Maybe there's other things to consider and you've uncovered the truth i.e. fewer road deaths over Songkran.

Songkran is only 1 or 2 days in most areas where most of the Thai population live, Pattaya being an extreme exception. During these 1 or 2 days people in the cities tend to be driving very slowly due to extreme traffic congestion. Also people are on vacation, so not in a hurry to get anywhere, unlike during a normal working day.

It would take an exceptional effort to be killed on Songkran Day as all the main streets are parking lots.

Wow. 14,578 posts, above flapping ... something. Seriously, wow.

Never seen Songkran last less than five days anywhere in Thailand. Here granting I was never out in the more remote villages, during the season. At least not for extended period. But got hit with bucket loads while passing through some rural areas in the north on motorcycle late in the holiday period, for sure.

Back to the subject at hand: The traffic casualty count is bogus. The cops are not instantly and accurately relaying back to THAI TRAFFIC CASUALTY CENTRAL. Let's get real, here.

Any stat reports issued, no doubt coming from local police, not the hospitals, will, of course, be fraudulent. Later those reports will be further *sanitized* and otherwise censored by higher-ups. Add to that the fact they do not record traffic fatalities which did not occur on the scene. Meaning: After the injured are gone from scene of accident, maybe die in ambulance or later at hospital, not recorded as traffic fatality.

Edited by Wordworx

^^ You should have just stuck to the subject at hand rather than making comments about post counts in a feeble attempt to flame.

Are you really an expert on how they collect accident stats here?... or are you just flapping for the sake of flapping?

Edited by tropo

Just back home from a walk around Pattaya, from 11 pm to 1 Am, on the 19th.

Pattaya Tai - full chaos lower part even at 1 AM.

Second road - chaos extreme both sides of the road 1 AM.

Beach road - total anarchy 1 AM.

Sales tent all beach road (yes again) and hardly place for walk between the tents (nothing new there).

Across View Talay was a big 'house music party' that attracted a big crowd.

Outside Royal Garden was a huge 'Pool' where there might be some 'graphic fun' tomorrow.

Pattaya have a new 'breed' of Songkran party goers. xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

Maybe there's other things to consider and you've uncovered the truth i.e. fewer road deaths over Songkran.

Songkran is only 1 or 2 days in most areas where most of the Thai population live, Pattaya being an extreme exception. During these 1 or 2 days people in the cities tend to be driving very slowly due to extreme traffic congestion. Also people are on vacation, so not in a hurry to get anywhere, unlike during a normal working day.

It would take an exceptional effort to be killed on Songkran Day as all the main streets are parking lots.

yesterday afternoon, just opposite the neighbour village where the wife of a good friend of mine was playing songkran, a guy killed himself with his car. It's a straight Road, he came speeding, lost it for some reason and hit a concrete wall right opposite the songkran revellers. If he came off the right side of the road, we would have had some more dead.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

And the girlfriend of another guy I know was mowed over on third Road a couple of years ago by a drunk motorcycle driver. He was not even fast as it wasn't possible to drive fast, but hit her in a bad angle, she fell unlucky and was for a very long time in coma. Not sure whether she is still alive.

Does anyone know how many people have been murdered this year in the name of 'fun'?

Thailand should be totally ashamed of this yearly slaughter. It makes me want to get on a plane and never come back.

Welcome to the dark ages.

What's stopping you ?

Sales tent all beach road (yes again) and hardly place for walk between the tents (nothing new there).

Outside Royal Garden was a huge 'Pool' where there might be some 'graphic fun' tomorrow.

Pattaya have a new 'breed' of Songkran party goers. xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

I am just heading out and will end up Soi 7/8, great fun.

Will I have to bust through a blockade of ThaiVisa members against Songkhran protest, nah, they'll all be sitting at home in front of a PC living the dream..lol.

I will report later if I done the right thing, oh and I'm walking from Wong Amat Soi 16 so it's good exercise too.

Will I have to bust through a blockade of ThaiVisa members against Songkhran protest, nah, they'll all be sitting at home in front of a PC living the dream..lol.

I will report later if I done the right thing, oh and I'm walking from Wong Amat Soi 16 so it's good exercise too.

Water pistols were fun when I was about 10 years old .......................whistling.gif

• Like 2

yesterday afternoon, just opposite the neighbour village where the wife of a good friend of mine was playing songkran, a guy killed himself with his car. It's a straight Road, he came speeding, lost it for some reason and hit a concrete wall right opposite the songkran revellers. If he came off the right side of the road, we would have had some more dead.

It would seem like an exceptional effort though.... was it a Songkran related accident, or just a normal "idiot speeding and losing control" and probably drunk, which is not uncommon here all year round.

Both. According to his wilfe who came looking for him, they'd had a songkran party all day when he took off in his car. His wife tried to stop him, telling him he was too drunk to drive but he took off anyway ... probably had his amulets with him and though he was going to be immortal. Or something. Very sad for the wife.

• Like 2

Water pistols were fun when I was about 10 years old .......................whistling.gif

One could ask why would he be heading to Soi 7/8 to have Songkran fun, when there's fun on every soi? I can think of many good reasons - lots and lots of drunk bargirls. biggrin.png