We favour a democratic Lanna republic, Chiang Mai group says

Lite Beer

democratic? are they going to put it to the vote or just tell everyone what they want, 80% want it, more like the reds want it so everyone else has to agree or they will be bombed/shot. These people are idiots and anyone supporting them are just as bad, if you want that sort of democracy go live in north korea, you will love the friendly democratic govt there.

• Like 2

democratic? are they going to put it to the vote or just tell everyone what they want, 80% want it, more like the reds want it so everyone else has to agree or they will be bombed/shot. These people are idiots and anyone supporting them are just as bad, if you want that sort of democracy go live in north korea, you will love the friendly democratic govt there.

I believe this bunch of geniuses is the same ones who burned up a fire engine celebrating the return of their looser red shirt counterparts from Bangkok in 2010.

• Like 2

No doubt they would bring Thaksin back as their democratic elected leader for life, succeeded by his son.

They would have their red army, red schools, red law for the masses with leaders exempt and anyone who didn't agree with them would be banned, like the singers.

"Democratic" Lanna Republic, as democratic as North Korea. The Thai armed forces should act quickly here, these people have to be put in jail.

The elections that pro-red parties have won have been declared by international observers to be free and fair. The anti-democratic actions have been coming from the other side (disrupting elections, trying to install an unelected people's council). Please face the facts.

And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail? They have said that they are not calling for independence, only for decentralisation, and the right to have local affairs managed by people they have elected (as opposed to from Bangkok, where the people they vote for keep getting overthrown by coups and other underhanded means, with the support of a populace that considers them "too stupid to vote").

This kind of proposal is perhaps the one thing that can stop Thailand from slipping into civil war. Arresting these people is just going to get people advocating real republicanism / secessionists, and increase the odds of civil war even further.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good idea Thailand could have two coup's going at the same time. How long do you think the people would be willing to live under the heel of Thaksin?

Hmmm….landlocked country with hostile neighbour controlling all the trade and transport links. Yep, that'll work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would not be land locked, would control much of the raw product Bangkok needs to function water, labor, electrical power, rice etc.

You must have not understood what was stated, if Bangkok wanted an "appointed dictatorship", which most of democratic Thailand will not agree to!

Cheers

You poor deluded fool! How do you expect Lanna to stop the rivers flowing to BKK? Do you think the northern workers are going to quit their relatively high paying jobs to go back to unemployment and rural poverty?

And if the southern provinces can't grow enough rice (unlikely), Cambodia is selling cheaper and allegedly better quality.

I keep wondering about the, It would not be land locked. yes there is a lot of beach front property in Chiang Mai.

From someone who has actually spent time in small villages deep in the North. People's loyalty to the reds is real, but I never saw any hint of violence against the (very few) yellow supporters. On the contrary, they were kind of just ostracised / given the "village idiot" treatment.

And yes, of course decentralisation would need to be put to a vote. But looking at how people there have consistently voted (most recently Yaowapa's by-election victory) I don't think that should be too hard.

No doubt they would bring Thaksin back as their democratic elected leader for life, succeeded by his son.

They would have their red army, red schools, red law for the masses with leaders exempt and anyone who didn't agree with them would be banned, like the singers.

"Democratic" Lanna Republic, as democratic as North Korea. The Thai armed forces should act quickly here, these people have to be put in jail.

The elections that pro-red parties have won have been declared by international observers to be free and fair. The anti-democratic actions have been coming from the other side (disrupting elections, trying to install an unelected people's council). Please face the facts.

And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail? They have said that they are not calling for independence, only for decentralisation, and the right to have local affairs managed by people they have elected (as opposed to from Bangkok, where the people they vote for keep getting overthrown by coups and other underhanded means, with the support of a populace that considers them "too stupid to vote").

This kind of proposal is perhaps the one thing that can stop Thailand from slipping into civil war. Arresting these people is just going to get people advocating real republicanism / secessionists, and increase the odds of civil war even further.

Got to love the red shirts always protesting against the government which is still the PTP if I remember correctly

Hmmm….landlocked country with hostile neighbour controlling all the trade and transport links. Yep, that'll work.

It would not be land locked, would control much of the raw product Bangkok needs to function water, labor, electrical power, rice etc.

You must have not understood what was stated, if Bangkok wanted an "appointed dictatorship", which most of democratic Thailand will not agree to!

Cheers

Not landlocked?

Where is the sea up there?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Must be the "Sea of Fools"

Good idea Thailand could have two coup's going at the same time. How long do you think the people would be willing to live under the heel of Thaksin?

Thaksin was PM for years and the majority of the people in the North and the NE want him back.

• Like 2

Especially after they get a real good taste of it

this people so stupid.

go away from my country please !!

I guess you are from BKK and that is why you are calling them stupid and looking down on them.
You actually think this nonsense is a good idea?

As for ponchi, the fake Thai Troll; do not feed.

It doesn't matter whether we think its a good idea. It matters how many thai people might think its a good idea, and whether the thai army think that this is quite enough of this nonsense.

Not sure the numbers, but I don't think for one moment that The Army will believe it to be a good idea. Second day running that these secession ideas have been banded around, and absolutely no denouncement from Yingluck.

The army will be completely against it. Problem is, with the propaganda that's been around for the last 5 years, there will be a surprisingly large amount of people who quite like the idea.

"And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail?"

Do you think that the law of Thailand agrees to separatism or to people that want to split up the country? In most countries it's a very serious offence.

Got to love the red shirts always protesting against the government which is still the PTP if I remember correctly

555 the Red Shirts know that Yingluck is about to be deposed and replaced with some kind of unelected government more palatable to the Bangkok elites. That is what they are protesting against.

• Like 1

delete for space

Thaksin was PM for years and the majority of the people in the North and the NE want him back.

For six years to be precise and look where we are now due to his meddling and crazy ideas.

Cheers

Not landlocked?

Where is the sea up there?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I hear rumours that Thaksin has a cunning-plan to fix that, he'll pay (or sell bonds to the faithful ?) to dig a canal to the Gulf of Siam, and his mate Plodprasop will hire boats to push the sea uphill to Lanna ! rolleyes.gif

His family will all pay tax (NOT !), which will fully-support all the government's expenses & the social-system, and all citizens of the new Peoples' Democracy will be rich, within 90-days. laugh.png

But back from la-la-land, it's all total BS, there's far less support than '51 Rak Chiang Mai' claim, as a referendum would show. wink.png

I do understand people being proud of Lanna culture and history, this is a great part of the world to live in, but it was absorbed into Siam a century ago and has prospered as a result, also the army would never permit it to break away. They can't even let go of a few Southern-provinces, with their own religion & language, which are much further away from the capital.

Lastly, I do wonder what caretaker-PM Yingluck thinks of this, how long will Thais have to wait, before she applauds or condemns this brilliant idea, from her family's grass-roots supporters ?

Her Facebook writers-team must be on overtime, as we wait, for 'her' words (corrected for grammar & vocab) of wisdom ! tongue.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 2

Any attempt to stage a coup or to shut down Thailand would result in a struggle to create an independent Lanna Republic, which he insisted would continue to respect HM the King as head of state. He claims to have the support of 80 per cent of people in the North, including those who are not red shirts.

If this guy has any friends at all, they should put a leash on him before he is arrested on several criminal charges.

• Like 2

555 the Red Shirts know that Yingluck is about to be deposed and replaced with some kind of unelected government more palatable to the Bangkok elites. That is what they are protesting against.

If deposed has got their knickers in a knot, just wait until she is arrested, jailed and her assets seized to compensate for her gross negligence, corruption and general idiocy.

As for Petchawat Wattanapongsirikul, this comes to mind.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Edited by Pimay1

If deposed has got their knickers in a knot, just wait until she is arrested, jailed and her assets seized to compensate for her gross negligence, corruption and general idiocy.

Nothing from Yingluck for over 24 hours now, I'm wondering if she is already in Dubai?

"And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail?"

Do you think that the law of Thailand agrees to separatism or to people that want to split up the country? In most countries it's a very serious offence.

These people have said that they just want decentralisation, not secession. And if you want to bring examples from other countries into it, look at the case of self proclaimed secessionists in Scotland, Wales, Western Australia, or multiple places in Canada. In modern times, as valid or invalid as their causes may be, I have seen no calls for them to be put in jail.

Well maybe you believe their two faced propaganda that decentralization is the only thing that they want, after all we all got a right to our own opinion (not in the "Democratic" Lanna Republic, where singers with different opinion are not tolerated)

• Like 1