Brand new car gets stuck in sand, then catches fire on Phuket beach

webfact

Brand new car gets stuck in sand, then catches fire on Phuket beach
Eakkapop Thongtub

1393900559_1.jpg
Beach barbecue: Mr Somchai's brand new car caught fire on Nai Yang Beach.

PHUKET: -- Phuket man Somchai discovered yesterday evening (March 3) that trying to drive your 15-days-out-of-the-showroom Toyota Yaris on the beach is not a good idea after his car turned into an inferno at Nai Yang Beach.

Mr Somchai – who understandably declined to reveal his full name – decided to drive from Phuket Town to watch the sunset at Nai Yang Beach and hang out here for a while.

Things became considerably less romantic when he decided to leave. To his irritation, Mr Somchai got stuck in a sandy hole.

In his efforts to get out of the hole he accelerated wildly. No luck. He tried again, and this time the superheated tyres of his car set light to the tinder-dry grass on the border of the beach.

The fire rippled across the grass and up into the engine compartment. As the engine caught fire, Mr Somchai abandoned his lovely new car.

By the time local fire services got there the entire vehicle had been engulfed by flames.

It was not clear whether his insurance covers fire on a beach.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/brand-new-car-gets-stuck-in-sand-then-catches-fire-on-phuket-beach-44945.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-03-04

• Like 2

LeamchabangLarry, on 04 Mar 2014 - 10:28, said:

And we have to share the road with these idiots...

Ooooops......I must be one of those.

I have been stuck many times, in my life, in the sand.

You see, Greece is a country surrounded with sandy beaches.

Sweat my guts to get out but never got fire.

• Like 1

Insurance won't be paying that claim.

Abusing the car isn't in any policy I've seen.

Not sure. When insuring a car in Thailand for the first time, I inquired if they would also pay if I would drive the car into a tree when drunk, and they said yes. But then, they were in the process of selling me something.

When my car was wrecked in the 2004 tsunami, they paid up, not all insurance companies did. After that I bought a second hand car, which after one and a half years burned out because of faulty wiring. Again they paid up, but they told we I wouldn't be accepted as a customer anymore.

Insurance won't be paying that claim.

Abusing the car isn't in any policy I've seen.

Not sure. When insuring a car in Thailand for the first time, I inquired if they would also pay if I would drive the car into a tree when drunk, and they said yes. But then, they were in the process of selling me something.

When my car was wrecked in the 2004 tsunami, they paid up, not all insurance companies did. After that I bought a second hand car, which after one and a half years burned out because of faulty wiring. Again they paid up, but they told we I wouldn't be accepted as a customer anymore.

You didn't abuse the car when the tsunami hit and the wiring isn't your fault either.

This guy drove in onto the sand and continue to thrash it to the point where friction caused it to burst into flames.

If they pay him out I'll be mighty surprised. Good way to disguise insurance fraud.

would be interesting to get a more detailled explanation of the reason for this fire. Maybe, it's the new A/C refrigerant R-32 or so. Currently excitedly discussed in Europe, and I am involved in the refrigerant business in a way

would be interesting to get a more detailled explanation of the reason for this fire. Maybe, it's the new A/C refrigerant R-32 or so. Currently excitedly discussed in Europe, and I am involved in the refrigerant business in a way

In his efforts to get out of the hole he accelerated wildly. No luck. He tried again, and this time the superheated tyres of his car set light to the tinder-dry grass on the border of the beach.

The fire rippled across the grass and up into the engine compartment. As the engine caught fire,

This not detailed enough?w00t.gif

• Like 2

The fire rippled across the grass and up into the engine compartment. As the engine caught fire,

Just sounds so unlikely - super heated tyres - maybe, but more likely his wild accelerations caused damage to the engine and caused overheating, then fire.

• Like 2

Just sounds so unlikely - super heated tyres - maybe, but more likely his wild accelerations caused damage to the engine and caused overheating, then fire.

Can happen..does happen..here's is just one example..http://youtu.be/MZ0nVos2gaw

Another possibility is the superheated exhaust ignited the grass..happens now and again in aus..a car pulls over on a rural road to stop and if the grass is dry..whooomp!! fire under the car=car on fire..

LeamchabangLarry, on 04 Mar 2014 - 10:28, said:

And we have to share the road with these idiots...

Ooooops......I must be one of those.

I have been stuck many times, in my life, in the sand.

You see, Greece is a country surrounded with sandy beaches.

Sweat my guts to get out but never got fire.

Was that a "Pony"? :D