Untouched Islands of the Myeik Archipelago

Two opposite temptations gripped me after my first visit to MacLeod Island (also known as Khayin Khwa Island): jealously keep the secret of its existence, or share it with readers? After a second visit eight months later and several days of intense thought, I decided to pursue the second.

From The Myanmar Times by Amaury Lorin

aden1.jpg

Among the new tourist destinations revealed since Myanmar’s recent political opening after decades of military rule, MacLeod Island is a diamond in the rough among 800 uninhabited islands belonging to the remote and unspoiled Myeik Archipelago in the Andaman Sea, in Myanmar’s most southern region. Without being emphatic, it is a dazzling and sumptuous surprise.
Closed until recently (including to Myanmar people), the labyrinth archipelago leading to it remains tightly controlled by a large military naval base and a very strict regional immigration office. Indeed, the Myeik Archipelago is strategically situated at the crossroads intersection between Myanmar, India (Andaman Islands), Indonesia (Sumatra) and Thailand.
The relative difficulty of reaching McLeod Island, though an inconvenience for some tourists (too bad for them), has helped preserve its stunning natural beauty. Flying southwards over tens of kilometers of virgin white-sand beaches from Yangon to Kawthaung (with two stops in Dawei and Myeik) in Tanintharyi Region confirms, if any doubt was still possible, Myanmar’s great tourism potential.
  • Like 2

Was easy to get there from 1997 onwards by liveaboard from SEAL (South East Asia Liveaboards), based in Phuket. Went as far north as Caboosa Island and even further. I've recently heard this area is restricted now to vessels

I noticed that one on the map as its not far from some of the most pristine Thai Islands.

It is really critical for them to protect the coral reefs around those Islands and that means seriously limiting development and fishing. I wonder they even realise the value of such conservation or even care at all but thankfully the backwardness of that country has probably been natural protection until now.

Tell us about your experience there?

Nice island. Any waves there? Rates are quite a bit more than phayam island, in the area. payam is also very nice

Had a nice trip to Koh Phayam. We stayed right next door to Blue Sky Resort (5 star), and ate our meals there. Brightest moonlight I ever seen. Our inexpensive room was only 400 baht a night, but power for only 2 to 4 hours. That meant not even a fan. The better hotels have power, but we booked before arrival. Best part, we missed weeks of bad weather just before we arrived... had full moon and 5 days of sunshine with no rain. I would like to visit the Island in the photo, as well.

Wow...looks fantastic. But as they say, hard to reach!

Not too difficult, I've been there.

Just 1.5 hours by speedboat from Ranong.

Whats the visa situation for going there from Ranong? Surely they don't have an immigration booth on the island to stamp you into Myanmar?

Payam island is apparently the home of some of the worlds best cashew nuts. they grow everywhere. little hut on the beach was ok with no fan. no roads there only trails for motorbikes. was no fixed electricity either.