What's the most trouble free on a scooter: Auto, semi-auto or standard shift

drukja

I would like to get some info on the best, longest lasting, trouble free type of gearbox / shifter on Honda motor bikes. Auto, semi-auto or standard shift. 2011 to 2014 models.

Any mechanics out there that might like to comment?

Or personal experience of any sort.

I am planning to buy a scooter in the next month or so,,, 125cc

Thank you very much.

I agree with speedtripler, an auto is just so easy to ride in heavy traffic and if they need repairs it's dirt cheap.

I owned 3 or 4 honda Waves during my time here but have long time given up on them and now only uses auto scooter as run abouts.

If I lived way out in the sticks I might buy a Honda Wave 125 but I don't.

Had a Yamaha Nouvo automatic for more than 7 years now. Battery, tyres and an occasional repair from alien attacks....

Had the transmission belt replaced after 40K kilo and the seat needs a repair and that's it. Hate those semi automatics. Always must put the gear in idle position befor starting etc.etc.

Full automatic or a real gear box.

Now have a pcx 150. 40 kilo to a liter. Way to go, fast and smooth. Still have the Nouvo though for family.

Edited by hugocnx
  • Like 2

Honda wave 125i is considered the most reliable longest lasting trouble free machine out there.

Agree, I live in the rural area of Ubon. We have a lot of dirt roads. You just can't beat a Honda Wave 125i around here. Very functional and practical.

If you don't mind raising your leg to mount a byke, I would suggest you just look at the various models of the Honda wave 125cc. you can have electric start, brilliant little byke. these are clutch-less shift. for auto, the Honda click 125ccFI, is also a great little scooter, or a Suzuki Hayate125cc.FI. (Fuel injection).good luck.

Honda wave 125i is considered the most reliable longest lasting trouble free machine out there.

Agree, I live in the rural area of Ubon. We have a lot of dirt roads. You just can't beat a Honda Wave 125i around here. Very functional and practical.

Disagree.

The Honda Dream is better.

Disagree.

The Honda Dream is better.

I personally own a SYM 300 GTS EV0 which is a fabulous machine and I have had it two years now. However, if you want the most bang for your buck, you would buy a Honda PCX. It is a major step up from all the other smaller bikes. Better engine, better brakes, better ride, great mileage, more technology. The engine turns off at stop lights automatically and when you twist the throttle, the bike just takes off. Very smooth and refined. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for!

• Like 2

Short answer is they are all fine and relatively trouble free. Keep the bike maintained as per the standard service guidelines and you should not have any problems. It follows that a manual is going to be less maintenance, and cheaper to repair, than an auto, provided it is not being abused. As others have pointed out an auto is more practical in many situations but manuals can be better in certain conditions. You haven't said anything about the type of riding, area you will use it, your size etc.. and nor did you ask what is a good bike - so manual is more reliable but auto's are fine as well. One thing I will say is that you have specifically noted Honda, which if you are of the opinion that Honda is somehow more reliable than Yamaha or Suzuki, then let me assure you this is just a myth. Honda's do hold their value better than most in Thailand, along with Yamaha, with Suzuki certainly being less popular but as far as reliability is concerned they are all good and reliable brands. (So is Kawasaki but they don't do scoots..)

• Like 2

Hello.. I started this topic.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am a mechanic and have not had much experience with semi-auto and auto shift motor bikes, (mostly cars)..but am interested in how they work, etc.

My son and his wife and I will be living outside of Pai for a year or so. Just easy riding to town and around the local countryside., (no trips to Chiang Mai).

I have owned a bunch of motorcycles , but not for many years.

My son can ride but his wife has never driven a motorbike.

We will all be sharing the bike so, it looks like an automatic makes the most sense.

It's time to rent a few bikes and see how they ride.

I am not stuck on Honda. The Yamaha Nouvo sx 125cc or older Elegant 135cc is looking pretty good for our purposes. And like most people here have been saying, take care of it and it will last a long time, no matter what bike it is.

Thanks again for your info.

• Like 1

My bike ('scooter') of choice is a Honda Click 'Play' 110cc/ Automatic, which I've had since Christmas 2008.. older boy's toy, yeah? So, to now over 5 years regular use around Chiang Mai and twice a week minimum to/ from where I stay weekdays and work 30km away in Lamphun.. never a problem with the auto gear-changing, even when I've headed up into the hills, on occasion, and the scooter's got a good solid, heavy and chunky build to hold my bod (and girlfriend's) and at least gives me/ us a little extra protection (certainly much more than some of these little tinny things I see/ hear whizzing about me, endlessly and pointlessly!!.. funny also, mines actually a smoother, faster start at 'go' from the lights, despite many 'bigger' (125) engines , often getting me ahead and out the way of these smokey rattle-machines, before heading on my merry sabai way again!!).. love the scooter-like platform for my feet, so I can sit-up and ride sabai-sabai style around town!.. Honda's, certainly these little runaround types though maybe not the BIG machines, are also catered for much better than most bikes here, due to the availability of proper service stations, plus the local mechanics seem to know a bit more about them... (so, all in all?.. Honda Click automatic: Highly Recommended!!!)...

Just my 2 baht worth. I bought my Honda Wave 110 brand new in 2010 and have never had a problem with it. The odometer is just below 22,000klm and i have always been meticulous on maintenance and up keep. Always have it serviced at the local Honda shop. Very affordable to maintain. I just had the rear brake pads done 3 days ago. Cost a total of 125 baht.

No matter if you choose an auto or semi auto, get a bike that you are comfortable riding. I have always preferred a semi auto, however my wife prefers her automatic Yamaha. Different strokes for different folks.

oldsailor35, on 21 Mar 2014 - 10:42, said:oldsailor35, on 21 Mar 2014 - 10:42, said:oldsailor35, on 21 Mar 2014 - 10:42, said:

Advantage of a manual is that you can downshift to slow your bike going downhill not wearing the brakes out so soon.

They use to say the same thing about manual cars, re: saving the breaks wearing out, but hey, it's cheaper to replace the brakes than it is to replace/repair the gearbox.

lol..I used a "forbidden" word (between "it's" and "cheaper") dam with an "n" at the end, who would have believed it.

Edited by Rorri

Short answer is they are all fine and relatively trouble free. Keep the bike maintained as per the standard service guidelines and you should not have any problems. It follows that a manual is going to be less maintenance, and cheaper to repair, than an auto, provided it is not being abused. As others have pointed out an auto is more practical in many situations but manuals can be better in certain conditions. You haven't said anything about the type of riding, area you will use it, your size etc.. and nor did you ask what is a good bike - so manual is more reliable but auto's are fine as well. One thing I will say is that you have specifically noted Honda, which if you are of the opinion that Honda is somehow more reliable than Yamaha or Suzuki, then let me assure you this is just a myth. Honda's do hold their value better than most in Thailand, along with Yamaha, with Suzuki certainly being less popular but as far as reliability is concerned they are all good and reliable brands. (So is Kawasaki but they don't do scoots..)

Agree 100% roughly is great now on all of them and despite comments saying autos are less fuel efficient that is not the case nowadays, they take the error of of short change and when you also get features like the pcx has where the engine stops on idle fuel efficiency is very good indeed.

The secret to keeping any motorcycle, or auto, running well for years apart from regular maintenance, is regularly changing fluids.

Have them use an air compressor while the engine is still warm to remove the micro-metallic sludge clinging to the bottom; watching to ensure they do so.

Out of the city I,d recommend an adapted Honda Sonic with bigger tyres raised handle bars very comfortable for a "Farang"

Great using the gears to slow down safely and accelerate a real fun ride.

Very reliable.

I always loved down shifting until someone pointed out that replacing brakes is far less expensive than replacing drive train components. I still do it sometimes just for kicks.

More reliable is the new Honda wave 110i, red with front drum brake, costing 35kBht.

(2k extra for 2 years total loss insurance)

Includes front basket, step-through luggage grill, helmet, jacket.

My local Honda sold out this morning, I had the last one.

The usual tried and tested 110cc engine, fuel injection, drum brakes front and back.

Chain that lasts forever, as opposed to drive belts that need changing frequently.

Semi-auto gear change, giving you best milage, kick start only, no starter to go wrong.

The Click 125 uses too much fuel, rated at best milage, but only at constant speed.

(I have one with auto-stop, uses too much petrol around town, but very economical if you want to drive 250Km in one go)

The only downside they only come in a naff red colour, but a new skin will only cost about 2k5, if you really must.

Edited by FiftyTwo

autos are most suited for bkk IMO

if gas is a concern a semi auto with gears will use less fuel but for convenience nothing beats a twist and go

esp when carrying loads of shoping and stuff .........smile.png

Auto every time, no gears just a belt and pullies nothing to go wrong. Belt lasts for ages

highly recommend Honda PCX

autos are most suited for bkk IMO

if gas is a concern a semi auto with gears will use less fuel but for convenience nothing beats a twist and go

esp when carrying loads of shoping and stuff .........smile.png

Auto every time, no gears just a belt and pullies nothing to go wrong. Belt lasts for ages

highly recommend Honda PCX

Belt lasts 1/3 time of chain and costs 2x as much to replace.

PCX very heavy, suited to fat foreigners not small Thais.

Belts 25-35k. Chain + sprkt sets 5 - 10k depending on maintenance. Plus chain lube. Having said that, i hate autos. Wave every time. And if the w/shop manual says 4k oil changes, change it @ 2k. I am a professional m/c mechanic of 35 years standing.

Hello.. I started this topic.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am a mechanic and have not had much experience with semi-auto and auto shift motor bikes, (mostly cars)..but am interested in how they work, etc.

My son and his wife and I will be living outside of Pai for a year or so. Just easy riding to town and around the local countryside., (no trips to Chiang Mai).

I have owned a bunch of motorcycles , but not for many years.

My son can ride but his wife has never driven a motorbike.

We will all be sharing the bike so, it looks like an automatic makes the most sense.

It's time to rent a few bikes and see how they ride.

I am not stuck on Honda. The Yamaha Nouvo sx 125cc or older Elegant 135cc is looking pretty good for our purposes. And like most people here have been saying, take care of it and it will last a long time, no matter what bike it is.

Thanks again for your info.

Pai is in the mountains and remember you don't get any engine braking with an auto (referring to a CVT) so overheating brakes could be an issue.

When you say semi-auto I assume that you mean auto clutch, that is what I would go for and as someone else mentioned Wave 125i.

• Like 1

When you say semi-auto I assume that you mean auto clutch, that is what I would go for and as someone else mentioned Wave 125i.

Wave 125i is a bit overpriced (30% more), and can't be legally ridden by anyone aged 15-17.

Wave 110i much cheaper (basic model 35k) and can be ridden legally by anyone over 15 years old.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

^^

I have a SYM Fiddle 2 scooter with CVT and it DOES have good engine braking, until the revs drop below what is necessary for the centrifugal clutch to engage. If the clutch disengages a quick blip on the throttle is all that is needed to engage it again. Both my wife's cars are CVT and they too have engine braking.

Edited by BirdsandBooze