cars with LPG

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons i would not do a conversion because you are not allowed to park your car anymore in a enclosed car park. (like basement a car park in shopping center)

I believe the reason is for safety in case that there is a fire.

But ferangs here go Lotus once a a Month, no Hi Klics no saving, ask any Taxi Driver. They top up on Gas at anti social hours so they dont sit in outside for 2Hrs like muppets.. So Muppets... enjoy you dream..cheesy.gif

The taxi drivers queue up for an hour or more for an LPG fill-up opposite my apartment block. Around 05:00 - 24:00, can't speak for anti social hours.

During the 4 years we owned an LPG car can not say I ever spent more than one car deep lines fill up time in a station.. Most times it was pull straight in and fill up, CNG now that's another situation altogether, always lines at those stations so much fewer of them available.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes but like most laws in Thailand it's "up to you" pretty much if you wish to obey it, it's not really enforced.

Until something happens and your insurance doesn't pay out to you or other people.

Was it boiling over or bubbling over? If there was bubbles coming from it then there is a possible problem with a head gasket and compression escaping into the water jacket, can't see how that has any relation to longer hoses and such or LPG unless the hoses to warm the LPG has been installed in such a way that it bypasses the head. Just guessing here because not exactly certain of the temp sensor location on your car but if it does do that your sensor may not be properly sensing your head temp and thus it may have over-heated without you knowing it. If it was just boiling over, that will happen with the cap off as the water has a place to escape from instead of being forced through the system like it is when the cap is on. But also don't have any clue why a 2009 would have these problems, not enough info to make an accurate diagnosis.

"Was it boiling over or bubbling over?" I am not sure what is the difference between the two. The water appeared to be boiling over and one of the mechanics kept adding more water to the radiator. I assume the bubbles I saw was part of the boiling process. I am guessing that the LPG was used for about 15km to 20km.

No, if there was air coming out it was bubbling, not boiling, boiling happens with a very low water content and you wouldn't be able to open the cap without getting burnt. The air was likely being injected into the water jacket through a bad head gasket from one of the cylinders.. If your temp sensor says temp is good it is likely not boiling over at that point, it would just push the water out of the collection can but it wouldn't be "boiling", hard to be very accurate without actually seeing what's going on and doing physical tests, all else is at best speculation..

Please understand I am not auto savvy.

Several days ago, I made an observation. After returning from a trip with a friend, I opened the hood and had him rev the engine to about 3000 RPM and observed the radiator overflow. If there were air bubbles, would I be able to see some movement in the liquid within the overflow container? It seemed pretty still. Before leaving for my drive I did make sure the radiator was full and also checked the coolant in the overflow and it was at the max line.

Do you mean with the cap off or over flowing through the reservoir you fill the system with? If you open the cap you will see water over flow if you rev the engine, you may not see water movement clearly in the reservoir depending on how clear your reservoir is but the water that goes into the reservoir does not really "flow" in the sense of the water visibly moving around freely as it is apart from the system out of the loop.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Do you mean with the cap off or over flowing through the reservoir you fill the system with? If you open the cap you will see water over flow if you rev the engine, you may not see water movement clearly in the reservoir depending on how clear your reservoir is but the water that goes into the reservoir does not really "flow" in the sense of the water visibly moving around freely as it is apart from the system out of the loop.

The radiator cap was on and I was observing the reservoir as best as I could. I also unscrewed the reservoir cap so I can see the inside better. When I did this test, the radiator contained normal 50/50 coolant. When I was at the Honda shop, the water (not coolant) was spurting out as they continued to add more. I thought I would see if with actual coolant in the rad, I would see similar liquid movement but in the reservoir. As I said, I saw no bubbles within the reservoir. I didn't think I should take off the rad cap while the engine was hot.

No! You shouldn't open it hot, which is why I was questioning. You made it sound like you had done that after a long haul.. When the water is hot it will overflow when you relieve the pressure from within the system like you're doing because it is under pressure and you're reliving that pressure so it expands like hot water does.. Actually the proper term for the tank IS an expansion tank, you should be checking with the water when it's cold not hot.. If there is compression seeping past the head gasket it will begin bubbling fairly quickly well before the water reaches operating temp.. Obviously you will only see an occasional bubble not a full on bubbling or you'd have much bigger problems. What it sounds like though, if you have been able to drive long distances and still have plenty of water and no over-heating it doesn't sound like a blown head gasket, very difficult to make a diagnosis like this here and with (no offense) a complete novice..

One of the reasons i would not do a conversion because you are not allowed to park your car anymore in a enclosed car park. (like basement a car park in shopping center)

I believe the reason is for safety in case that there is a fire.

I just picked up on this ... does this apply just to all converted cars, or just LPG converted cars. There is a big difference between a spill of LPG and a spill of (CNG -NGV) however you want to describe it.

Quite a percentage of C Class Mercs are CNG supplied.

Do you have a reference for your statement ... would be interested to see it, I've never seen a posted sign to this efect. But correct TIT and who cares .....

All gas cars, they have put up signs at many garages but it is like most laws in Thailand and seldom if ever enforced. the probability of a gas fire on a parked car is no greater than any other, if you inspect and maintain your system regularly so it's more about liability for the garage then it is actually about a safety issue.

Edited by WarpSpeed

All gas cars, they have put up signs at many garages but it is like most laws in Thailand and seldom if ever enforced. the probability of a gas fire on a parked car is no greater than any other, if you inspect and maintain your system regularly so it's more about liability for the garage then it is actually about a safety issue.

But it don't have to be a gas fire to get you in problems, A normal accident can be enough.

The insurance will not pay up in any incident as you park illegally.

i have never seen this so called sign. Nor have I ever heard of this so called law. I think you have an over active imagination.

We go to several of the malls here in CM and I have never seen any sign that warns drivers not to park if their car uses LPG or CNG. Of course, the signs could be in Thai only but I doubt it since CM has a large foreign population.

i have never seen this so called sign. Nor have I ever heard of this so called law. I think you have an over active imagination.

No car with any type of LPG. NGV etc are allowed to park in a covered car park.

That is why all effected cars needs to have a sticker or other identification on the back of the car so they are recognizable.

Park parks are not required to have a sign as the cars need to have a sticker and the drivers should know the traffic law. ( yes i know that is wish full thinking )

But it don't have to be a gas fire to get you in problems, A normal accident can be enough.

The insurance will not pay up in any incident as you park illegally.

You're not going to have an accident in a parking garage serious enough to rupture the tank or if the lines are done properly, any of the lines. Up to you to make sure your system is properly installed and if it is done so then, no worries, if not you have far bigger problems you need to tend to.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Well then that answers everything then doesn't it? Because YOU haven't seen them before everyone else is over-imaginative? How does someone answer such a infantile statement.. Maybe I'm just more observant then you? I think that's far more likely..

Edited by WarpSpeed

We go to several of the malls here in CM and I have never seen any sign that warns drivers not to park if their car uses LPG or CNG. Of course, the signs could be in Thai only but I doubt it since CM has a large foreign population.

Actually the ones I've seen were illustrations of propane tanks with the red circle and a diagonal line across them and they directed gas cars to the top open floor of the garage.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually the ones I've seen were illustrations of propane tanks with the red circle and a diagonal line across them and they directed gas cars to the top open floor of the garage.

Next time we head for one of the shopping malls, I'll look for the signs.

Some Provinces here send out their new Mini Fire Trucks to RTAs, specially equipped for Gas Situations. After causing a very bad crash, due entirely to her tinted windows, my Sis in Law said it was NICE in Yellow and Blue, ah well. Hello Kitty seems all that matters here some days.What are the U.S. Regs these days re Gas and Glass tint.?.

No LP yet for cars, or I should say not in large numbers but there has been some recent talk and systems popping up. Glass tint no darker then 40% drivers and passengers doors, limo allowed in the back but nothing on the wind shield but a strip at the top and OEM tint on the rest.

A bit off topic but I had the misfortune of being stuck behind a CNG taxi this morning. We oil burners get a bad rep for our black smoke but the smell (assuming it's harmless) coming out of the exhaust of CNG vehicles is downright disgusting.

Just been told you can open a Gas Conversion outlet here as easy as a Phone Shop.That doesn't seem very reassuring explosion wise.

Off topic but a question. How much fuel is wasted sitting in traffic jams? My city mileage sucks while on the highway it's way more than double i estimate.

Fyi my daily bangkok commute is 28kms return but this can take up to 1.5 hours in the morning and an hour in the evening worst case. Lots of sitting and starts and stops, particularly in the morning.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No car with any type of LPG. NGV etc are allowed to park in a covered car park.

Yet more nonsense that will become an urban myth if propagated by uninformed people.

Propane is heavier than air so it naturally goes to the lowest point .It is the same logic as a bilge ventilator on a boat with an inboard engine.

NGV/CNG on the other hand is lighter than air so....

Any escaping LPG, which is as likely as fuel leaking from a petrol car, will gravitate to the lowest point. I don't know where all the shopping mall nonsense started from but it is not about "covered" parking it is only be relevant for basement parking, if at all.

If and the key word is if any gas were to leak in the basement it has nowhere to go and will accumulate. Then I assume if some guy goes into the basement for a quick cigarette!

Because we have been living with petrol for 100 years we tend to forget how dangerous it is but as soon as a new-ish fuel comes along all the would-be HSE guys come out of the woodwork.

Putting a sticker on the back of a car will not stop people with LPG cars parking anywhere.

Edited by VocalNeal