Thais and business

Crazy chef 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seastallion

He's not "simply telling the truth", he's making a sweeping generalisation, and whatsmore, a generalisation made from what were probably limited observations. With 65 million Thais, lets say a third are working age, he would have had to have observed a good sampling, (say 10%) of them, ie he would have seen 2.2 million people being lazy and ignorant.

I would argue about who is the ignorant person, as bigots are generally ignorant (and simple).

Of course he's making a sweeping generalisation but most folk would know that and not take it literaly to suit a point. In my experience most Thai workers i see are lazy. Given a chance to skive or cut corners they'll take it. Obviously not every single one but certainly most. Plus they also lack logic and common sense which doesn't help the stress levels of the average farang.

Bigots , the most over used word in the World for anyone with a difference of opinion.

ordered some expensive frames from an optician (because they weren't in stock...) they would arrive next week. a bit of a hike to the shop but i thought it was worth it as the optician spoke good english and we had a clear agreement. went back as agreed the next week, he seemed surprised to see me and of course... mai mee. no reason why. no apology. i guess they just hadn't bothered to order them. i bought some cheaper ones from another shop.

Same with public officials even petty bureaucrats, very low status in the west, they work for us "public servants" after all, whereas here we're supposed to dress nicely, speak respectfully basically kowtow to them in order for them to be willing to deign to do their job.

true. but the good thing is that if u treat them with respect most of them will actually do whatever they can to solve a matter. more than once i wanted a certain "privilege"... first reply: no cando. not allowed. etc. after a charm offensive the rules were changed. no bribing involved, just charm and humbleness. this is how things work here.

Edited by stickylies
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Club!

It is called love-hate attitude.

Most people on TV live and swear by it.

The 'love' squad recently wrote - "Thais are the best thing sent to us by God" - or something like that.

The 'hate' squad usually write - "Lazy, uneducated, stupid, greedy, dishonest, ignorant people" - or something like that.

Needless to say every expat who lives here likes Thailand.

Needless to say that both above concepts are flawed.coffee1.gif

"I always hear Thais complaining to have to less money but in the moment they have to do something for the buck they are just too lazy or ingnorant to do it."

They take the view that they're going to make small-money all the same, whether or not the work gets done properly.

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations.

My question is, "They (being all Thai people) are just too lazy or ignorant to do it." Is that comment by the above poster degrading or overly negative?

See, what I'm saying if I call a person lazy and ignorant is that degrading or overly negative?

I'm just asking for opinions? I think any normal person would think lazy and ignorant were degrading and negative comments but I could be wrong.

Welcome to the Club!

It is called love-hate attitude.

Most people on TV live and swear by it.

The 'love' squad recently wrote - "Thais are the best thing sent to us by God" - or something like that.

The 'hate' squad usually write - "Lazy, uneducated, stupid, greedy, dishonest, ignorant people" - or something like that.

Needless to say every expat who lives here likes Thailand.

Needless to say that both above concepts are flawed.coffee1.gif

The nicest people money can buy.

• Like 2

"I always hear Thais complaining to have to less money but in the moment they have to do something for the buck they are just too lazy or ingnorant to do it."

They take the view that they're going to make small-money all the same, whether or not the work gets done properly.

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations.

My question is, "They (being all Thai people) are just too lazy or ignorant to do it." Is that comment by the above poster degrading or overly negative?

See, what I'm saying if I call a person lazy and ignorant is that degrading or overly negative?

I'm just asking for opinions? I think any normal person would think lazy and ignorant were degrading and negative comments but I could be wrong.

Respectfully....I believe you are wrong [of course this is just my opinion]. Whether a race or country's people are ignorant or not can be argued about forever. If I compare western people with thai people.....thai's are definitely more ignorant, less educated, and have little logic that coincides with western logic. Therefore it is difficult for foreigners to understand thai mentality.....they just conclude that it is ignorance. Thai society lacks efficiency.....therefore we conclude it is based on ignorance.....of course I also agree. It is ignorance....but it's just an opinion.....so don't get bent. As far as rule (11).....get over it....everyone's got an opinion.

Berkshire

You're very good at insulting people who have a different opinion to yourself. I've noticed your posts. Your an apologist for Thais no matter what they do. You're probably one of those prats who goes round with a wai for everybody. Throwing yourself on the floor for the monks and thinking you're part of it all. In reality the Thais are just laughing at the stupid farang but you're too dumb to see it.

Nanapong, you're a real piece of work. I know your kind. You'd like nothing more than to be able to spew your vile hate speech with impunity. Well in a free speech society, you're certainly entitled to but with consequences. That would be me disagreeing with you. Then you turn around and attack me and others like me who defend the Thais against unreasonable and insulting accusations. You do so by making up untruths such as "being an apologist for Thais no matter what they do." That's an obvious lie, but it supports your weak arguments.

I've been around a lot of Thais are they are not all lazy. The problem with people like you is that you spend your entire time hanging around the lowest echelons of Thai society. Whether it's your wife/GF or the 7-eleven employee. Do you think you can determine the level of American work ethic by hanging out at McDonald's and watching the hourly employees? Businesses in Thailand are not perfect by any stretch, we all know that. But to nitpick every little thing, with the assumption that customer service in the west is always 100% perfect (which it's obviously not) is ridiculous.

You can hate the Thais all you want. It won't change anything and it certainly won't gain you any respect.

Berkshire

You're very good at insulting people who have a different opinion to yourself. I've noticed your posts. Your an apologist for Thais no matter what they do. You're probably one of those prats who goes round with a wai for everybody. Throwing yourself on the floor for the monks and thinking you're part of it all. In reality the Thais are just laughing at the stupid farang but you're too dumb to see it.

Nanapong, you're a real piece of work. I know your kind. You'd like nothing more than to be able to spew your vile hate speech with impunity. Well in a free speech society, you're certainly entitled to but with consequences. That would be me disagreeing with you. Then you turn around and attack me and others like me who defend the Thais against unreasonable and insulting accusations. You do so by making up untruths such as "being an apologist for Thais no matter what they do." That's an obvious lie, but it supports your weak arguments.

I've been around a lot of Thais are they are not all lazy. The problem with people like you is that you spend your entire time hanging around the lowest echelons of Thai society. Whether it's your wife/GF or the 7-eleven employee. Do you think you can determine the level of American work ethic by hanging out at McDonald's and watching the hourly employees? Businesses in Thailand are not perfect by any stretch, we all know that. But to nitpick every little thing, with the assumption that customer service in the west is always 100% perfect (which it's obviously not) is ridiculous.

You can hate the Thais all you want. It won't change anything and it certainly won't gain you any respect.

Ask a Thai and they will admit, "Thai people are lazy." "Thai people just want to have fun."

Edited by ZigZagMan
  • Like 1

no there not all lazy!!!!!!

Oh dear Jake. I think you mean 'they are not all lazy'. 'There' has a totally different meaning!

Probably more likely he intended to write " They're not all lazy", using the lazy combination of "They" and "are", and in reality it's a fair statement, the entire population cannot possible all be lazy can they ?

Incidentally, on a tangent, I have found the most common words and phrases I have heard are "mai pen rai" closely followed by, and sometimes in the same sentence, " mai dai" and " mai mee".

S

PS, I'm also hearing with more frequency the word " kaput". I'd love to know how this possibly found its way into the Thai language.

Edited by SDM0712

no there not all lazy!!!!!!

Oh dear Jake. I think you mean 'they are not all lazy'. 'There' has a totally different meaning!

Probably more likely he intended to write " They're not all lazy", using the lazy combination of "They" and "are", and in reality it's a fair statement, the entire population cannot possible all be lazy can they ?

Incidentally, on a tangent, I have found the most common words and phrases I have heard are "mai pen rai" closely followed by, and sometimes in the same sentence, " mai dai" and " mai mee".

S

PS, I'm also hearing with more frequency the word " kaput". I'd love to know how this possibly found its way into the Thai language.

Now the Mexicans, they are considered lazy. Their national slogan is "manana" (tomorrow)

The Thais certainly beat them in the lazy department..."Mai ben rai." (never mind) You hear that all day long in Thailand.

At least the Mexicans will get around to it eventually.

On a slight tangent to the thread regarding American labour v Thai labour..................

We recently had a visit from an American employed by a major electronics company in the states, the main business aimed at control systems operating in hazardous areas. This person is well travelled as it is part of his job. His parting comment was that he would like to see some of his American electrical technicians visiting Thailand to see how assembly, function testing and trouble shooting is done properly. By the Thais!

This was not sweet talking, this was his observations on what corporate America has become; overpaid, under qualified people being employed and protected by their worker's rights to the extent that the employer is stuck with them. The job he was here to witness took 3 days including factory acceptance by the client. The same job in the states he estimated would have taken the same number of weeks, with possible acceptance.

Point of the post is that not all Thais are 'lazy and don't know what they are doing'. A lesson that you shouldn't generalize based on only the people you know, or have read about.

Just sayin'........................wink.png

• Like 1

Seastallion

He's not "simply telling the truth", he's making a sweeping generalisation, and whatsmore, a generalisation made from what were probably limited observations. With 65 million Thais, lets say a third are working age, he would have had to have observed a good sampling, (say 10%) of them, ie he would have seen 2.2 million people being lazy and ignorant.

I would argue about who is the ignorant person, as bigots are generally ignorant (and simple).

Of course he's making a sweeping generalisation but most folk would know that and not take it literaly to suit a point. In my experience most Thai workers i see are lazy. Given a chance to skive or cut corners they'll take it. Obviously not every single one but certainly most. Plus they also lack logic and common sense which doesn't help the stress levels of the average farang.

Bigots , the most over used word in the World for anyone with a difference of opinion.

I appreciate your considered response. The thing is, a "sweeping generalisation" is NOT "simply telling the truth". People DO take on board opinions.

The sad, sad fact is that with the number of bigots in the world, the allegation of "bigot" is often accurate.

• Like 1

Why do you think, they have an estimated 2 mil Burmese living here , legally or not ?

To do the jobs they are too lazy to do, ring any bells.

Also they are smarter, more willing to help, build a better building for whatever and don't moan.

Look at the fat Thais going to school these days in Pattaya what are they going to do? live under mums apron i expect, they are too far down the road to the point of no return .

Not having been colonised or to war has'nt helped .

What an idiotic example. So tell me then, why are there some 20 mil Mexican illegals in America? Is it because Americans are lazy? I'm dying to hear your intelligent response...although I'm not holding my breath.

Mexicans in USA generally crowd major affluent centers and do all the work in restaraunts, gardening, moving, and trucking,

for the most part, there are no americans willing to do those jobs, in those locations,

to many, it is beneath them,

they would rather collect unemployment and go to their next casting

Yes, it is degrading and offensive and clearly bigoted. But it's the same trash from the usual warped characters, so no surprise.

I don't know how this forum gets away with the continuous defamation of Thailand and Thai people posts.

Respectfully....I believe you are wrong [of course this is just my opinion]. Whether a race or country's people are ignorant or not can be argued about forever. If I compare western people with thai people.....thai's are definitely more ignorant, less educated, and have little logic that coincides with western logic. Therefore it is difficult for foreigners to understand thai mentality.....they just conclude that it is ignorance. Thai society lacks efficiency.....therefore we conclude it is based on ignorance.....of course I also agree. It is ignorance....but it's just an opinion.....so don't get bent. As far as rule (11).....get over it....everyone's got an opinion.

You wrote, " As far as rule (11).....get over it....everyone's got an opinion."

In using Thai Visa I agree: 11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

By using Thai Visa you agreed to rule #11. Now you don't. Why would anyone ever believe you again? You agree to one thing and then violate it and tell me to get over it. If the rule has changed let me know and I'll get over it.

It is not a difficult concept. I asked a simple question. I didn't ask for views on contract law.

My question is, "They (being all Thai people) are just too lazy or ignorant to do it." Is that comment by the OP poster degrading or overly negative?

Why do you think, they have an estimated 2 mil Burmese living here , legally or not ?

Also they are smarter, more willing to help, build a better building for whatever and don't moan.

Look at the fat Thais going to school these days in Pattaya what are they going to do? live under mums apron i expect, they are too far down the road to the point of no return .

What an idiotic example. So tell me then, why are there some 20 mil Mexican illegals in America? Is it because Americans are lazy? I'm dying to hear your intelligent response...although I'm not holding my breath.

Mexicans in USA generally crowd major affluent centers and do all the work in restaraunts, gardening, moving, and trucking,

for the most part, there are no americans willing to do those jobs, in those locations,

Irish in the USA generally crowd major affluent centers and do all the work in restaurants, gardening, moving, canal building, railroad building (Union Pacific RR) and fighting the countries wars (Civil War). There are no Americans willing to do those jobs. It is beneath them.

Yes, it is degrading and offensive and clearly bigoted. But it's the same trash from the usual warped characters, so no surprise.

I don't know how this forum gets away with the continuous defamation of Thailand and Thai people posts.

Forum Rules

Forum rules updated 2014-03-28

NOTE: If you have any questions about Thaivisa forum rules/guidelines, please email support at thaivisa.com

On a slight tangent to the thread regarding American labour v Thai labour..................

We recently had a visit from an American employed by a major electronics company in the states, the main business aimed at control systems operating in hazardous areas. This person is well travelled as it is part of his job. His parting comment was that he would like to see some of his American electrical technicians visiting Thailand to see how assembly, function testing and trouble shooting is done properly. By the Thais!

This was not sweet talking, this was his observations on what corporate America has become; overpaid, under qualified people being employed and protected by their worker's rights to the extent that the employer is stuck with them. The job he was here to witness took 3 days including factory acceptance by the client. The same job in the states he estimated would have taken the same number of weeks, with possible acceptance.

Point of the post is that not all Thais are 'lazy and don't know what they are doing'. A lesson that you shouldn't generalize based on only the people you know, or have read about.

Just sayin'........................wink.png

Well said, Chris, and with concrete examples. This is much more credible than a bunch of sexpats constantly repeating what they tell each other on their barstools, i.e., "Thais are lazy, ignorant, yada, yada, yada."

Irish in the USA generally crowd major affluent centers and do all the work in restaurants, gardening, moving, canal building, railroad building (Union Pacific RR) and fighting the countries wars (Civil War). There are no Americans willing to do those jobs. It is beneath them.

jeezes,

you took us back to the Potato famine?

I thought they meant in 2014,

my bad

jeezes,

you took us back to the Potato famine?

I thought they meant in 2014,

my bad

Today you are saying the same ignorant things about Mexicans that People said about the Irish. Get a clue. Stop being a bigot. It was being a bigot in 1860 and it is still a bigot today. Definition hasn't changed only the nationality discriminated against.

sensitive,

the guys working on the roofs here are all from Guatemala,

no americans will work like they do,

if you think that is bigoted,

get on a got roof in florida, with 6 other guys and all work together,

I watched americans do a shitty job for years, and these guys, work like Timex watches,

arrive 830 worh thru 12, one hour lunch, no trash, wrk 1-5, clean up, 530 gone, clean work site,

american contractor? takes the money, and sends three bozos to start the job, then never finish,

bigot, right

sensitive,

the guys working on the roofs here are all from Guatemala,

no americans will work like they do,

if you think that is bigoted,

get on a got roof in florida, with 6 other guys and all work together,

I watched americans do a shitty job for years, and these guys, work like Timex watches,

arrive 830 worh thru 12, one hour lunch, no trash, wrk 1-5, clean up, 530 gone, clean work site,

american contractor? takes the money, and sends three bozos to start the job, then never finish,

bigot, right

Ya right. How many Mexican American astronauts? (more than a couple I seem to remember)

You wrote, "Mexicans in USA generally crowd major affluent centers and do all the work in restaraunts, gardening, moving, and trucking, for the most part, there are no americans willing to do those jobs, in those locations, to many, it is beneath them,they would rather collect unemployment and go to their next casting."

The same thing happened in the 1860's building the railroads. There is no difference between a Mexican American, Thai American or Irish American. They are Americans.

In South Texas all the millionaires are Mexicans who got there before Texas was a Republic and now they own thousands of acres of land and every house has a private plane for shopping.

The constant identifying/generalizing people by nationality or ethnic group to make some obscure point is tiresome. The recent Mexican immigrants will tell you that Mexicans who have lived in the USA for 400 years are lazy and the recent arrivals work harder. The whole thing is nonsense.

Some people are lazy and some people work hard. Skin color and nationality have nothing to do with it.

Edited by thailiketoo

Thais lazy,when i worked for the local council in the uk morning tea break 30 mins at least,lunch an hour,afternoon tea anywhere from 30 mins to an hour,in between the breaks we would do as little as possible,one bloke used to go for a sleep in a room behind the council chamber,and we did not have the excuse it was too hot to work,so it exists everywhere.

Berkshire

Wow.

And to think you probably spent considerable time editing and rewriting, to be sure you expressed what's in your heart.

• Like 1

Berkshire

Well...you cant be blamed to look down on the lowly educated thais. True colours !!

• Like 2

euh no not all, about 99% of them wink.png

I have had lots of work done around my house, extentions, additions, almost anything you care to name, and I have no comlaint about anything, and the pricing was good too. only last week, all the electricity in the house went off, the first time in eight years, this was about 11 pm. Mrs Possum got a man in to fix it within about 20 mins, job done, cost 300 Baht. Would that happen in a western country?

No - it absolutely would not happen in a western country. Because if your power went out it would have nothing to do with the electrical system in your house so the local "chang fai" could do nothing for you. The problem would be outside the house. OK, to be fair it is possible but highly unlikely.