Looking for opinions on the name for a new bar on the Darkside

Mobi

Any of you who have been following the ‘Darkside’ thread will realise that what I am about to do is change from ‘Preacher’ to ‘sinner’, as I am seriously considering opening a new beer bar on the Darkside, on Siam Country Club road, opposite the lake, and I’m trying to settle on a name.

I know, it’s a crazy ask, but I would really appreciate your views.

I’m I think I should use a name that relates to my ‘pen name’ that I use for my writing activities, (i.e. Mobi D'Ark) ,as many people in the area read my blog and books and are already familiar with it.

So I have come up with two alternatives:

“Mobi’s Bar”

Or

“The Mobi D’Ark.”

I think both names run off the tongue okay but would welcome your opinion.

Which one sounds better to you, and if you hate both of them, do you have any alternative suggestions? (Not Mobi Dick! please – I've already been called that hundreds of times…)

‘Mobi’ is a relatively commonly used word, whereas ‘Mobi D’Ark’ is pretty unique – but maybe that doesn't matter.

I know I'm asking the impossible, but please try to keep your comments reasonably sensible and please don’t tell me I am wasting my money … I've already been told that - many times.

I’ve also been told that running a bar is ‘not rocket science’, so let’s see if a retired businessman / author can do any better than all the butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers out there….

Maybe I can beat the odds, and be the exception that proves the rule…?

Only time will tell.

Thanks guys

Mobi

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't you a self-confessed (on-T-V) alcoholic. Is a bar the best environment for you to be in day in and day out?

If your determined to go through with it, I like Mobi's Bar...plain and simple and rolls off the tongue. Get some pretty ladyboys in there and I'll be a regular.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

I prefer your second option but maybe just merely " Mobi D`Ark" ( without "The")

So many bars have the word " bar " in them which obviously makes sense as that is what they are but to me personally makes it sound like just another bar with the owner`s name in it.

Or :

Mobi`s Place, not overly original either though.

D`Ark Place ?

GL whatever you name it.

Mobi's (without the bar) is good enough. In the end, your reputation/survival will depend entirely upon what you put on the table and the bar bills. Nothing to do with the name. Really.

Agree with this. No need for the word 'bar' just call it Mobi's...

However, I don't think the apostrophe would look great so a simple 'mobys' or 'mobies' would look better IMO.

When do the doors swing open for biz? I live on SSCC and will defo come for a beer...don't punch me though!

Mobi's (without the bar) is good enough. In the end, your reputation/survival will depend entirely upon what you put on the table and the bar bills. Nothing to do with the name. Really.

However, I don't think the apostrophe would look great so a simple 'mobys' or 'mobies' would look better IMO.

When do the doors swing open for biz? I live on SSCC and will defo come for a beer...don't punch me though!

Sorry, PP, but I partly disagree if the bar name has "Mobi" in it. "Mobys" will be mispronounced, although regulars would get it right. "Mobies" sounds like an STD. Mobi's is unmistakeable. Or simply Mobi.

• Like 2

Getting a bit long in the tooth for fisticuffs....I leave that to the wife...smile.png

When's this gig swinging open? I'm looking for a new watering hole.

Top 10 bar near to Na Na deli has just closed.

It's a few weeks off yet...just trying to get all my ducks in a row...

(yes, I did say Ducks)

When's this gig swinging open? I'm looking for a new watering hole.

Top 10 bar near to Na Na deli has just closed.

It's a few weeks off yet...just trying to get all my ducks in a row...

(yes, I did say Ducks)

Mobi Duck--I like that.

• Like 1