Cheapest Charlie

ZigZagMan

What kind of 5 star hotel attracts people that want to cook their own food ?

That sort of stuff tends to happen with certain nationalities that don't mind forging out for a room but then want everything else free. A generalization, I know, but after 30 years of working in hotels I do allow myself that generalization.

Ahh haaa haa haa ahhh haaa. 30 years working in hotels. I ran my own business for 15 years and retired to Thailand in my forties... I am constantly amazed by numpties like you that assume that if someone is frugal, that they are broke.

I like to refer to your kind as "all hat and no cattle".

To be frugal is one thing.. If you bring your own water to the restaurant, there is another word, i think it's " deleted "giggle.gif

If some people are allowed to take their own alcohol then I should be able to take my own water.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of 5 star hotel attracts people that want to cook their own food ?

That sort of stuff tends to happen with certain nationalities that don't mind forging out for a room but then want everything else free. A generalization, I know, but after 30 years of working in hotels I do allow myself that generalization.

Why don't you just let us all know who those 'certain nationalities' might be, that you refer to?

Edited by uptheos

Saw a caucasian man at the food court in Central Festival in Pattaya go from table to table after the table was vacated with his own fork eating the food that was not consumed.

And to think that's exactly why most shopping malls have security guards at the door, to keep this sort of person out!

Anyway, I wouldn't have a problem with him, food waste is globally a huge problem, best of luck to him as long as he don't stink and tries to talk to me!

Wow what a bunch of cheap jerks

I would be embarrassed going any were with u cheap Charlie's.

So let me ask u

Do you recycle condoms?

Do you make your gf/wife recycle their feminine products?

Do u recycle your mouthwash?

What a bunch of losers.

Sent from my iPhone

In a group at a Sizzler restaurant my mate ordered 3 fresh orange juices.

When he found that we had already warned the waitress we wanted separate bills, he told her to take the juices back and bring his family water!!!!!

My "Sizzler routine" goes like this:

Only the salad bar, their meat products are disgusting.

Only on weekdays during midday to get the happy hour 165฿ price.

Water or other fluids for extra money? Waste of precious stomach space!

Ignoring the unappetizing slice of "bread" that comes in the package.

Wolfing down about 5 - 8 plates of different salads/vegetables and I'm done for the day.

That's a "Fastfood day" for me, and I'm doing it alone.

For the guys with their own tea bag; the main reason behind this is that tea is not that often ordered and mostly not stored in good conditions, so old and tasteless, or even worse tastes like kitchen smell... I stopped carrying myself bec. ordering hot water ends nearly to 100% with geting served stale, deoxygenated, chlorinated "water", very disappointing.

For me: as long as you are not stealing/freeloading from others you can be as cheap as you wont.

Honestly, I think the gits are those that fall for restaurants' bottled water scam. When I pay for a meal, no matter the cost, I INSIST on tap water with ice, lemon if available. EVERY restaurant uses filtered water just like we all do at home.

20 years ago, Thailand's beaches were filled with plastic water bottles. What's the cost to make them, and the cost to dispose of them, just so a restaurant can make a few extra?

Grow some consciousness!

I do see the restaurant's angle as well. Above basic places, their price structure is based on most everyone buying some kind of drink, including water. Yes drinks are a profit center, that's business, and they aren't a charity. So if most people didn't buy some drink they would just have to raise the food prices anyway. But I think its a minority that don't buy a drink outside of casual places with pitchers on the table so no biggie. For seriously ripoff places charging like 70 baht for a bottled water, unless their food is manna from heaven, they won't see me a second time. Another somewhat minor annoyance to me is the general perception that ordering only water is because you're cheap. For most meals, I would prefer water anyway. I drink very little booze and detest sweet soda drinks.

Edited by Jingthing

Neeranam

Please - I was drinking when I read that. Thought I would choke. I just can't can't believe it. Hysterical.

That's nothing. When we were kids my father got double glazing on all the windows so that us kids couldn't hear the ice-cream van coming.

I wonder of we are related? My Dad once went outside at midnight on December 24th and fired his shotgun in to the air and woke us all up. He then announced that there wouldn't be a Christmas this year as Santa had committed suicide.

So let me ask u

Do you recycle condoms?

What a bunch of losers.

Sent from my iPhone

Like the Scottish Sergeant major who goes in to a pharmacy and asks the lady at the counter if he can get a condom repaired. The lady says they cannot do that and would he like to buy a new one. He goes outside for a minute and returns.He says to the lady that he has discussed it with his regiment and they all agree - they will buy a new one.

Edited by Mudcrab

So let me ask u

Do you recycle condoms?

What a bunch of losers.

Sent from my iPhone

I do not make the missus recycle her feminine stuff but for sure I insist she rolls her own tampons from the toilet paper on the dinner table.

I personally resent paying almost the same prices for bottled water per litre as you do petrol. Consider the cost of building drilling platforms, laying massive plpelines, refining the crude into petrol, delivering it in big trucks. Think about the huge salary bills for the oil companies and the fact that they sell it to the service stations for less than we pay at the pump. The service stations also have salaries to pay and many other costs such as rent, insurance, electricity and so on. The costs of producing bottled water are almost negligible when compared to those when producing petrol.

However if I must pay then I do so.

A word of warning - it can be hazardous re-using plastic bottles too often. Read here.... http://environment.about.com/od/healthenvironment/a/plastic_bottles.htm

Comparing the price of gas vs purified drinking water at a 5 star hotel?

A glass of petrol is gonna cost you allot more than the pump price if served up in a 5 star hotel.

Edited by ZigZagMan

Neeranam

Please - I was drinking when I read that. Thought I would choke. I just can't can't believe it. Hysterical.

That's nothing. When we were kids my father got double glazing on all the windows so that us kids couldn't hear the ice-cream van coming.

Well we were so poor, my dad would take us to Kentucky Fried Chicken to lick other peoples fingers.

Neeranam

Well we were so poor, my dad would take us to Kentucky Fried Chicken to lick other peoples fingers.

Greasy box fingers are awesome.

I'm sure this will send some people here in to fits, but I sometimes bring my own alcohol with me when I go out to restaurants or bars. It's perfectly common and accepted in normal Thai places (maybe not some high end place) outside of the farang ghettos to bring your own bottle of liquor with you. You just pay for the mixers and ice and food. I like to drink gin and the only thing most places around me have is Sangsom, Blend, and Red Label. But many Thais even bring their own bottles of those. It's not a big deal, it is a normal part of Thailand. Sometimes there is a small fee for doing so, but usually not.

Of course I'd never try this in a farang place, I know they'd flip out.

Do you know anybody cheaper than that?

Of course.....you know, the guy who often turns up at your house for the sundowner but I don't know where he lives.

Brags of getting 3 meals out of some cheap pre-made curry dish.

Sells you something that you thought was a gift!

They have become anti-social.

I often take my own water in to bars and other high end venues. Why. I purchase 20 litre bottles for 12 baht. Why the <removed> do I want to pay 20 or 30 baht for 500ml here in Phuket.

If you're bringing your own water into "high end venues" like beer bars then you're not frugal - you're just plain weird. If you're willing to fork out 1000++ Baht for a meal and then bring your own water to save 12 Baht you're loony tunes.

If I ever saw anyone bringing empty bottles into a food court and refilling them from the free water dispenser I'd be hard pressed not to b1tch slap him with said bottles.

"Sent from my Klingon Warship using Thai Visa Connect"

Most cheap charlies will say its not the money its the principal, after they have complained about the price of something.

What about John Getty who never paid the ransom for his grandson and even after his ear was cut off he only paid a fraction of the demand. And he had a pay phone in his mansion!

There is a large difference between being poor/frugal and being a shameless cheapskate.

If you are broke and hungry then by all means, eat the scraps off other people plates, dive into a dumpster, beg or even steal is acceptable to me.

Just don't cry poor and schlep off to the Hilton buffet with your pilfered drinking water.

Poor form.

Edited by ZigZagMan

Why don't you just let us all know who those 'certain nationalities' might be, that you refer to?

I'd rather not;-)

Ahh haaa haa haa ahhh haaa. 30 years working in hotels. I ran my own business for 15 years and retired to Thailand in my forties... I am constantly amazed by numpties like you that assume that if someone is frugal, that they are broke.

Where did I say being frugal equates poor? I am frugal but I would not dream of bringing my own food or water to a restaurant. And I am not sure why you need to get personal? Makes you quite the numptie, doesn't it?

I often take my own water in to bars and other high end venues. Why. I purchase 20 litre bottles for 12 baht. Why the <removed> do I want to pay 20 or 30 baht for 500ml here in Phuket.

For the service, the A/C, and other running expenses the bar has? It is a business, not some NGO. You'd do this stuff in my hotel and I'd whack you with a 5 Dollar corkage fee.

Had this coupe staying at the hotel that demanded that the Chef heat their ready-made curry and that the staff served it to them. They squealed when I charged them USD 20,00 for the pleasure.

Had another couple demand that they can bring their own ingredients and cook their food themselves in our kitchen. I am afraid they did not get a room......

That is the beauty of Thailand. Tin pot hotels and restaurants like yours are a dime a dozen. If I get any sort of grief whatsoever...I go elsewhere...for good. You are just another boring Farang run hole in the wall...you business has No USP...other than your own misguided image of how important you are...

Huh? So you'd bring your own food into a restaurant, and ask it to be reheated and served? Or you'd go grocery shopping, then demand to use the restaurant's kitchen, because you don't want to pay menu prices?

Really?

When I hear stories like that, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry. Couldn't imagine showing up in a restaurant, getting seated, refusing the menus, then pulling out some tupperware, handing it to the waitress while explaining I'd like that reheated and served on proper plates please. That's something a comedy TV show would do as a prank, not normal people.

not if the patron requirers kosher or halal food and you can't offer this.had this case when i worked in one of the most expensive hotels in the world.had a rabbie as guest who brought his own kosher food in and explained me how to handle it- no problem for me he paid anyway 2500$ a night.

This one is an amusing thread I love it.

On a side note, 5 star hotels incl Hilton refill drinking water for free unless you order bottled Perier etc so there is no need to bring your own.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

DP25

There are quite a few farang restaurants in LOS where people take their own drink (not water), but they are charged corkage. When I lived in Oz, it was quite common for people to take their own wine. Actually in CM the only people I see taking out their bottle of water are the tourists who walk around all day. The residents or the long stayers never do. Or I have never seen them. I know a couple of bars where some customers have their 'bottle' behind the bar. I have never thought of them as being cheap charlies.

not if the patron requirers kosher or halal food and you can't offer this.had this case when i worked in one of the most expensive hotels in the world.had a rabbie as guest who brought his own kosher food in and explained me how to handle it- no problem for me he paid anyway 2500$ a night.

One of the world's most expensive hotels at $2,500 a night couldn't handle Kosher or Halal......right. wink.png

Rules out a lot of big spenders.

DP25

There are quite a few farang restaurants in LOS where people take their own drink (not water), but they are charged corkage. When I lived in Oz, it was quite common for people to take their own wine. Actually in CM the only people I see taking out their bottle of water are the tourists who walk around all day. The residents or the long stayers never do. Or I have never seen them. I know a couple of bars where some customers have their 'bottle' behind the bar. I have never thought of them as being cheap charlies.

It's been common practice in CM forever, to buy a bottle at the bar and leave it there with your name on it.

Often people have a bottle at several bars and there's no time limit placed on it..

my farther was,nt tight but i was 14 before i found out that TURNIP was,nt CHOCOLATE , only joking ,

but i did once ask the thai family at the next table at udon night market if i could have the big basket

of salad they left after they had a bbq fish , to take home for my 4 pet rabbits , they said no prob ,

but my t.w went mad at me ......... is that cheap ???

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

There is a big difference between being frugal and being tight.

Bringing your own drinks into a bar is not being frugal, it is being damn right tight.

I understand that some restaurants overcharge for their bottled water but a restaurant is a business and if you don’t like their prices and policies (or can’t afford to eat there) don’t go there.

I am truly shocked at the amount of westerners on here who are actually proud that they are tight fisted and even more worrying is that they do not realise (or care) how a business makes its money to pay their staff and survive.

As mentioned above, if you cannot afford to eat/drink in a restaurant/bar then don’t go there.

There are plenty of cheap food stalls to eat from.

If you can afford it, pay for the service and quit being so tight.

There is a big difference between being frugal and being tight.

Bringing your own drinks into a bar is not being frugal, it is being <deleted> right tight.

I understand that some restaurants overcharge for their bottled water but a restaurant is a business and if you don’t like their prices and policies (or can’t afford to eat there) don’t go there.

I am truly shocked at the amount of westerners on here who are actually proud that they are tight fisted and even more worrying is that they do not realise (or care) how a business makes its money to pay their staff and survive.

As mentioned above, if you cannot afford to eat/drink in a restaurant/bar then don’t go there.

There are plenty of cheap food stalls to eat from.

If you can afford it, pay for the service and quit being so tight.

Thai's almost exclusively take their own bottle of whisky to a big restaurant and buy mixers. It's not considered cheap, more a competition regarding who has the highest grade whisky bottle on the table. They buy a lot of dishes and these restaurants are full night after night, unlike western restaurants who need to squeeze every possible baht out of a customer, as they might not see them again.

For the service, the A/C, and other running expenses the bar has? It is a business, not some NGO. You'd do this stuff in my hotel and I'd whack you with a 5 Dollar corkage fee.

Had this coupe staying at the hotel that demanded that the Chef heat their ready-made curry and that the staff served it to them. They squealed when I charged them USD 20,00 for the pleasure.

Had another couple demand that they can bring their own ingredients and cook their food themselves in our kitchen. I am afraid they did not get a room......

That is the beauty of Thailand. Tin pot hotels and restaurants like yours are a dime a dozen. If I get any sort of grief whatsoever...I go elsewhere...for good. You are just another boring Farang run hole in the wall...you business has No USP...other than your own misguided image of how important you are...

Huh? So you'd bring your own food into a restaurant, and ask it to be reheated and served? Or you'd go grocery shopping, then demand to use the restaurant's kitchen, because you don't want to pay menu prices?

Really?

When I hear stories like that, I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry. Couldn't imagine showing up in a restaurant, getting seated, refusing the menus, then pulling out some tupperware, handing it to the waitress while explaining I'd like that reheated and served on proper plates please. That's something a comedy TV show would do as a prank, not normal people.

I agree, but there are quite a few people here who are far from normal.