Toyota to recall 6.39 million vehicles worldwide

webfact

Toyota to recall 6.39 million vehicles worldwide

TOKYO, Japan - Japanese auto giant Toyota on Wednesday said it was recalling 6.39 million vehicles worldwide for five different problems, none of which had caused any accidents to its knowledge.

"Toyota Motor Corporation announced five recalls involving 26 Toyota models, the Pontiac Vibe and the Subaru Trezia... since a few models are involved in more than one recall, the total number of vehicles that will be remedied is 6.39 million," the company said in a statement.

AFP

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-09

Blimey, didn't know Pontiac and Subaru were linked with Toyota. blink.png

Toyota built those two models for Pontiac and Subaru.

Toyota has been stumbling a lot lately. This is the largest recall ever by Toyota.

Learned something today..........thumbsup.gif

Please please no Vios...sad.png

Do not worry Vios probably will not need a recall. Either it's perfect or mostly sold in countries where consumer protection laws are weak and/or law suits not expensive enough to make recalls necessary.

Apparently the Hilux is affected though so will be interesting to see how Toyota Thailand handle it.

Edited by Jitar

Do not worry Vios probably will not need a recall. Either it's perfect or mostly sold in countries where consumer protection laws are weak and/or law suits not expensive enough to make recalls necessary.

Apparently the Hilux is affected though so will be interesting to see how Toyota Thailand handle it.

Not my beloved Vigo surely...............w00t.gif ......................smile.png

Not my beloved Vigo surely...............w00t.gif ......................smile.png

Tranny, it has issues with tyre pressures.................

Tranny, it has issues with tyre pressures.................

Yep, the OEM rims explode with more than 36.34567 psi. blink.png

But the Vios rule may apply in LOS?

Actually:

"A company draft statement obtained by Reuters news agency on Wednesday said the world's biggest automaker is recalling certain Yaris, Urban Cruiser, RAV4 and Hilux models after identifying faults in the steering column, wiring harnesses and seat railings of more than 1,000 vehicles.

The company said the recall covered models of the Yaris subcompact and Urban Cruiser SUVs assembled between January 2005 and August 2010 as well as RAV4 SUVs and Hilux compact pickups made between June 2004 and December 2010".

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2014/04/toyota-recall-millions-vehicles-2014495836392146.html

Edited by Jitar

Jitar has a very good point. Consumer protection laws are opaque in Thailand, and one suspects the government would not want to do anything more to piss off the Japanese at this point, like expose defects.

It's probably a case of Caveat Emptor "Buyer beware" and if you have a possibly affected model, you should take some proactive steps to have it checked yourself.

That is going to cost them an absolute fortune. Probably less than a few well publicized wrongful death suits however.

The bean counters make these decisions, so they have no doubt calculated it's cheaper to recall them all than suffer the consequences of lawsuits, loss of reputation, and loss of sales..

Toyota will probably do a Thai style recall, i.e. no recall but the dealer checks and swaps any critical dodgy bits on the quiet during regular services.

Less damage to the reputation, but may not be so good for anyone not using the dealer for services.

I would not hold my breath while waiting for a recall from Toyota Thailand.

When I got my Camry I removed the carpet mat, as it kept getting trapped under the accelerator.

About one year later Toyota announced that this was now a recall matter but the recall did not happen in Thailand.

Considering the average Thai put 60-80psi in tyres when they only need 32 for cars and 45 psi for pickups i think we all have more to worry about than recalls

Sorry ol' chum, but it is around 29psi for pick-ups...........................whistling.gif...................smile.png

Believe me, Toyota (Sumitomo) has very deep pockets. When I was working in the industry, it was rumored that the entire workforce of Toyota could take paid vacation for a year and they would still not even run out of petty cash. I worked in quality control for H Company, and if it has got to this stage (out in public) then you can bet its a safety issue, which they will never admit for liability reasons. Issue the recall, fix the issue to the minimum 'safe' standard (read people stop complaining level). Then farm the cost out to the subsidiary who made it, who Toyota owns anyway, they go broke, Toyota saves face, everything goes back to normal. Except for the people driving around...... Oh the stories I could tell..... Its actually good personally to see Toyota get a shot in the butt every now and then. Bet those cars weren't made in the Australian plant they just announced the closure of....

How you say in Thai....Som Nam NA------------!

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

Bloomberg finacial news reported today that all Thai built models are affected , as well as other production sites Vigo/fortuner, Yaris/Vios , corrolla models but did not mention Altis ,or camry seems one common suspect component is the ignition switch and some electrical relays ..source of defective parts not mentioned .

Edited by liddelljohn