The noise from soi watboon workers camp

balo

We lived in Silk Road Place on Chaiyapruek 2 and just as we were about to move back to Bangkok, they started to build one of these workers camp right behind us. It was looking pretty permanent with concrete slabs, proper toilets and finished off by two levels of tin shacks.

I can only imagine what it has / will do to property values...

I've never been anywhere in Thailand where there wasnt some idiot making a pointless noise. Most of the rest of Asia is the same.

Yes, this is true. The best way is to get used to noise. It can be done, but only if you believe you can. You have to make a decision that the noise won't bother you.

Yes, you have said this before and I'm sure it works for you but you still miss the point.

Attempting to ignore or (worse) drown out the noise is not acceptable to me, any more than attempting to ignore the unpleasant (to him) flavour of broccoli would be acceptable to George Bush Snr.

When I go to a quiet beach area etc it is precisely because I want to be in a quiet beach area; for the quietness. Being in a beach area where there is noise just doesn't interest me and I would rather go home or go for a drive instead, or perhaps walk a few hundred yards down the beach away from the idiot with the ghetto blaster or the screaming kids or the barking dog.

The same applies to the place I live in. The things that dictate my choice of where to live are (in no particular order) the relative quietness, the view, the convenience/location, the interior layout, the cost, the security/cleanliness/management. If any of those things altered significantly then I would see about resolving the problem or, if that wasn't feasible, just move somewhere else. Even to another town or country if necessary. But I would NOT put up with it. As far as I'm concerned life is too short to spend it putting up with things I don't like.

YMMV

• Like 2

I once went to a restaurant on Naklua road and was presented with a Russian menu card and asked for an English one, sorry mister we don't have, I walked without eating anything.

Couldn't point to a picture?

Sounds like some of you need to pick up a Russian phrasebook. smile.png

• Like 1

I've never been anywhere in Thailand where there wasnt some idiot making a pointless noise. Most of the rest of Asia is the same.

Yes, this is true. The best way is to get used to noise. It can be done, but only if you believe you can. You have to make a decision that the noise won't bother you.

I've been living next to a building site (just behind my bedroom wall) for 2 years now. I had the option to either move out, or stay at reduced rent.

To make it even worse I'm a nightowl and sleep in till about midday while workers kick off between 7 and 8am. I hardly hear the noise anymore. It doesn't bother me at all.

The more the noise bothers you, the more it will. You have to stop focusing on it.

There's also firecrackers being set off all day long until about 9pm for tourists at the temple near the Pattaya lookout. When I first moved there they use to startle me as they are very loud and finish with quite a bang - now I'm hardly aware of them.

Yes, you can get used to noises. The only other option is to move away, but that could go on forever as noises follow you to your new location.

Playing loud music that you like can help.

If you rent why not moving it;s so easy to find a quiet place that will remain quiet.

I never rent and always buy and never failed to find totally quiet places.

Some just need to use their brain before renting or buying, it's not difficult.

They changed the website and they are building a new condo called Amazon Residence:

http://www.1millionbaht.com/location

So park lane is the 1 million baht condo ?

http://web.archive.org/web/20100406083115/http://www.1millionbaht.com/

Another thread with workers camp photos:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/692732-what-are-they-building-opposite-park-lane-soi-watboon/

About park lane:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/337329-park-lane-condominium-jomtien/

Edited by thailandbeachisland

I looked at the pictures. Really looks like a terrible and intolerable situation to be in. As I have stated many times, the entire area has been in decline for a long time. There comes a point where growth starts to destroy a place. We passed that point at least ten years ago in Pattaya-Jomtien. Unfortunately, noise pollution is extreme in most part of Thailand. One poster stated that he had lived all over Asia and noise pollution was common in other countries. I too have lived all over Asia. I never experienced it in China or Cambodia. I am guessing that it is not that bad in Singapore and Malaysia and Vietnam. Thailand seems to be the worst country in the world now for noise pollution. You would not believe the level of noise that I am hearing right now, eminating from some idiot convention on Soi 5 in Jomtien--horrible music and terrible screams (lunatic behavior).

Yes, you have said this before and I'm sure it works for you but you still miss the point.

Attempting to ignore or (worse) drown out the noise is not acceptable to me, any more than attempting to ignore the unpleasant (to him) flavour of broccoli would be acceptable to George Bush Snr.

When I go to a quiet beach area etc it is precisely because I want to be in a quiet beach area; for the quietness. Being in a beach area where there is noise just doesn't interest me and I would rather go home or go for a drive instead, or perhaps walk a few hundred yards down the beach away from the idiot with the ghetto blaster or the screaming kids or the barking dog.

The same applies to the place I live in. The things that dictate my choice of where to live are (in no particular order) the relative quietness, the view, the convenience/location, the interior layout, the cost, the security/cleanliness/management. If any of those things altered significantly then I would see about resolving the problem or, if that wasn't feasible, just move somewhere else. Even to another town or country if necessary. But I would NOT put up with it. As far as I'm concerned life is too short to spend it putting up with things I don't like.

YMMV

Of course I haven't missed your point as it is rather obvious.

You've decided to have a new whine about your noise problem, so I've decided to repeat some advice as an option to people who don't want to keep running away from noise. What's wrong with offering alternative advice to moving?

...and once again, it is you who missed my point. It's not about putting up with the noise. Once you stop focusing on the noise it goes away. You no longer listen to it. Sure, you can still hear it but you're not listening.

I've said this before, but will say it again here. At my wife's family home in the Philippines I can sleep well with a dozen cocks crowing out side my open bedroom window from 4am.

I made the decision learn to live with noise here after observing how noise doesn't bother my Filipino wife and most Thais around me. It's a state of mind.

I know I'm wasting my time on you, but this is a forum which many people read.

I've been living next to a building site (just behind my bedroom wall) for 2 years now. I had the option to either move out, or stay at reduced rent.

To make it even worse I'm a nightowl and sleep in till about midday while workers kick off between 7 and 8am. I hardly hear the noise anymore. It doesn't bother me at all.

The more the noise bothers you, the more it will. You have to stop focusing on it.

There's also firecrackers being set off all day long until about 9pm for tourists at the temple near the Pattaya lookout. When I first moved there they use to startle me as they are very loud and finish with quite a bang - now I'm hardly aware of them.

Yes, you can get used to noises. The only other option is to move away, but that could go on forever as noises follow you to your new location.

Playing loud music that you like can help.

If you rent why not moving it;s so easy to find a quiet place that will remain quiet.

I never rent and always buy and never failed to find totally quiet places.

Some just need to use their brain before renting or buying, it's not difficult.

Why not use your brain before posting insults? It's not that difficult.

I love the location where I live and I have my rent reduced....AND it gave me an opportunity to learn how humans can adapt to noise.

Apart from that, it's not easy to find a good place for me to live as I am very fussy and don't want to pay too much. You won't find a better deal than

my place - I'll guarantee you that... and as an extra bonus, the construction is nearly over.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Yes it happened last year as well , only worse this time .

My condo is for sale , would have moved out a long time ago if I found a buyer,

Noise is such a common and expected problem, many an owner just puts in soundproofing, starting w/ double glazed windows. (I think there are forum threads on the subject.) Tried any of that? I knew a guy who when remodeling his condo soundproofed the walls and ceiling too.

And with a bit of soundproofing, turning on your aircon and playing some music ends the problem as far as you're concerned.

Yep. I have double glazed security windows and doors. It's incredible how well they block out noise. Some music playing and the airconditioner humming in the background and I'm good to go zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz smile.png Getting through the 6 weeks of piling is the biggest challenge.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

YMMV

Well you sure landed in the wrong country then; whatever could have possessed you to move yo Thailand then?

• Like 1

YMMV

Well you sure landed in the wrong country then; whatever could have possessed you to move yo Thailand then?

Exactly, and probably one of the noisiest places in Thailand at that.

Well you sure landed in the wrong country then;

Why? I'm very happy where I am. I just dont waste my time going to places where Thais go at the same times that they go there, which suits me fine.

whatever could have possessed you to move yo Thailand then?

No income tax. Tasty local food. Easy retirement visa. Fairly reliable infrastructure. That's about it.

You've decided to have a new whine about your noise problem, ....

? I have no noise problem where I am and I'm not whining. Maybe you should read more carefully before commenting.

My apologies, I thought you were the OP....

.. however you made it quite clear that noise is a problem for you and you refuse to live with it.

Each to their own.

Edited by tropo

I looked at the pictures. Really looks like a terrible and intolerable situation to be in. As I have stated many times, the entire area has been in decline for a long time. There comes a point where growth starts to destroy a place. We passed that point at least ten years ago in Pattaya-Jomtien. Unfortunately, noise pollution is extreme in most part of Thailand. One poster stated that he had lived all over Asia and noise pollution was common in other countries. I too have lived all over Asia. I never experienced it in China or Cambodia. I am guessing that it is not that bad in Singapore and Malaysia and Vietnam. Thailand seems to be the worst country in the world now for noise pollution. You would not believe the level of noise that I am hearing right now, eminating from some idiot convention on Soi 5 in Jomtien--horrible music and terrible screams (lunatic behavior).

Unless you moved there over 10 years ago what did you expect..its a soi full of bars, massage shops and restaurants..DD befor you move in goes a long way

Happened to you last year didn't it?

@balo, on 14 Apr 2013 - 23:07:

Right now I am more comcerned about the loud music and Thais screamiing into their karaoke microphones here in my soi all night.

I lived at the park lane resort Wat Boon for almost a year and the workers camp has trebled in size over that year with the increase in the noise, plus they have used the land opposite as a truck parking lot over the weekends with the resulting noise and dust. I have since moved to Bangchang, nice and quite right on the beach, would never consider moving back to Pattaya or Jontien again.

That workers camp is going to be there for a long time it is a feeder camp to other building projects not just around Jontien, and the workers are trucked to different sites every morning and brought back every night

Yes you are right, the size of this workers camp in soi watboon is huge now, its like a village and I am not sure it will just dissapear when they finished building Amazon resort. It must be 1000s of workers with families there, dogs, chickens, crowing cocks . 5 am in the morning the trucks start and transport workers to all over jomtien where they have building sites.

Who owns this land ? Who decided in the first place that this camp should be located next to Paradise Park ? I have complained to Matrix but they do not even reply to my emails.

No warnings were given by Matrix, you just move in and have to live with it.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Happened to you last year didn't it?

@balo, on 14 Apr 2013 - 23:07:

Right now I am more comcerned about the loud music and Thais screamiing into their karaoke microphones here in my soi all night.

I lived at the park lane resort Wat Boon for almost a year and the workers camp has trebled in size over that year with the increase in the noise, plus they have used the land opposite as a truck parking lot over the weekends with the resulting noise and dust. I have since moved to Bangchang, nice and quite right on the beach, would never consider moving back to Pattaya or Jontien again.

That workers camp is going to be there for a long time it is a feeder camp to other building projects not just around Jontien, and the workers are trucked to different sites every morning and brought back every night

Yes you are right, the size of this workers camp in soi watboon is huge now, its like a village and I am not sure it will just dissapear when they finished building Amazon resort. It must be 1000s of workers with families there, dogs, chickens, crowing cocks . 5 am in the morning the trucks start and transport workers to all over jomtien where they have building sites.

Who owns this land ? Who decided in the first place that this camp should be located next to Paradise Park ? I have complained to Matrix but they do not even reply to my emails.

No warnings were given by Matrix, you just move in and have to live with it.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's just normal practice for construction companies. In my area they find a vacant block, rent it, clear it and set up tin shacks for the duration of construction. They disband camp when they've finished the main concrete pours.

I don't think there'd be much point in complaining to anyone as these constructions bring in huge revenue for the city.

Are they not pouring concrete all night? They do where I live. They've just finished 35 floors on a Nova Construction about 80 meters from my house, and they pour till 5am on each new floor...they worked 24 hours on this site. I know of 3 others nearby which also go all night.

There's no way for you to win this battle against noise. If you find a quiet area, sooner or later someone will buy and build. If you find a built out area you'll have to deal with all the noisy neighbours. Even if you manage to find quiet neighbours, sooner or later a noisy one will move in.

If its not construction then its some other ignorant a-hole disturbing the peace.

For example, the new development named The Maldives or Dusit Grand Park in Jomtien.

The people buying these units are not told of the ALL NIGHT KARAOKE BAR nearby that gets going at 2AM! Police refuse to shut it down.

No sleep for you!

Only an idiot would invest in Thailand.

"There's no way for you to win this battle against noise. If you find a quiet area, sooner or later someone will buy and build. If you find a built out area you'll have to deal with all the noisy neighbours. Even if you manage to find quiet neighbours, sooner or later a noisy one will move in"

Ridiculous.

I own more properties here and abroad than you could dream about.

All my houses and condo in Thailand are located in very quiet places.

But of course it is not possible to find quiet places in Thailand <3

People are dreaming that their stupid lives are the truth.

You're dreaming, and doing a fair bit of flaming while you're at it.

Now stop being stupid, we're talking about Pattaya. Obviously people can move to the country if they wish. People who live in Pattaya are interested in city living, and that's the subject here.

I'm not concerned about how many properties you think you own. Claims of property ownership doesn't count for much coming from an anonymous poster on an internet forum.

Edited by tropo