Ukraine crisis: Jews ordered to register in Donetsk

webfact

Ukraine crisis: Jews ordered to register in Donetsk
Oren Dorell

DONETSK: -- Jews in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk, where pro-Russian militants have taken over government buildings, were told they have to "register" with the Ukrainians who are trying to make the city become part of Russia.

Jews emerging from a synagogue say they were handed leaflets that ordered them to provide a list of property they own and pay a registration fee "or else have their citizenship revoked, face deportation and see their assets confiscated," reported Ynet News, Israel's largest news website.

Donetsk is the site of an "anti-terrorist" operation by the Ukraine government, which has moved military columns into the region to force out militants who are demanding a referendum be held on joining Russia. The news was carried first by the Ukraine's Donbass news agency.

The leaflets bore the name of Denis Pushilin, who identified himself as chairman of "Donetsk's temporary government", and were distributed near the Donetsk synagogue and other areas, according to the reports. Mr Pushilin acknowledged that flyers were distributed under his organisation's name in Donetsk but denied any connection to them, Ynet reported in Hebrew.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/ukraine-crisis-jews-ordered-to-register-in-donetsk-20140418-zqw7f.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-04-18

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is fake and it has been proven. Please stop spreading lies Thai Visa.

“It’s not true that they have to register or be deported,” says Weiss. NCSJ officials spoke directly to Jewish leadership in Donetsk, who said that Denis Pushilin, chairman of the pro-Russian Donetsk People’s Government, denied creating the pamphlets, which carry his name.

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/ukraine-jewish-registry-fake/

Edited by anantha92
  • Like 1

This is a smear campaign spread by the actual NAZI rebels who have taken over the Ukraine government.

They are both anti-Russian and anti-semetic by their very nature.

Hitler would be proud of them..... Let's hope Putin pulls that government down in the very near future or we could be witnessing the start of a new genocide if these criminals are allowed to stay in power with the backing of the EU and the USA.

• Like 2

Something similar happened a few weeks ago, so not a first.

As far as I understand, the fliers are real enough, the questions are more regarding who authored them and how "official" they are.

Seems like the situation there is a bit chaotic, with political sides being mixed with everyday gangs (well, ok, sometimes it's the same thing, really).

Not sure if it matters much to the Jewish community there if it's official policy (by whom?) or a provocation - certainly not good news.

• Like 1

The situation in Europe has some unsettling parallels with recent history. We are now in 1933 or thereabouts from my estimates, Jews are already fleeing Europe, and not just the East, Sweden and France have now become places where Jewish people can't safely reveal their faith in public. The Ukrainians and Russians both have a shocking record of antisemitism, so take your pick as to who is the prime mover here.

• Like 1

I have no idea if the leaflets put out are true or false. Regardless, it is alarming that any group of people would go to this length in order to raise the repulsive specter of Antisemitism, in order to try and gain political ground. However, I think there is a positive side to all of this and that is that the response to the anti Semitic message of the leaflets, regardless of whether they are real or concocted, has been one of condemnation by all parties involved, which is the sensible response, as none of them want to appear complete brainless morons.

• Like 1

The situation in Europe has some unsettling parallels with recent history. We are now in 1933 or thereabouts from my estimates, Jews are already fleeing Europe, and not just the East, Sweden and France have now become places where Jewish people can't safely reveal their faith in public. The Ukrainians and Russians both have a shocking record of antisemitism, so take your pick as to who is the prime mover here.

Curiously, I was at the Forbes website and got a popup saying "Is Putin the next Hitler?". Didn't pursue the link though.

Curiously, I was at the Forbes website and got a popup saying "Is Putin the next Hitler?". Didn't pursue the link though.

For complex reasons (including personal about the biography of Putin and good experiences with Jews as a youth) Putin's scapegoat target for political purposes has not focused on Jews, but rather ... gays.

Another factor is the vast majority of Russian Jews have long ago fled antisemitism in Russia to go to mostly the USA and Israel.

Edited by Scott

It is real and there are sources that show the actual leaflets. Also on the front page of today's J-Post.

Picture if the supposed leaflet here.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1759436

If true, this is some messed up <deleted>.

Any one can make a leaflet and take a picture of it.

Have you not seen the leaflet announcing the destruction of the Earth to build a bypass to the galactic highway?

It is real and there are sources that show the actual leaflets. Also on the front page of today's J-Post.

Have you not seen the leaflet announcing the destruction of the Earth to build a bypass to the galactic highway?

Goodness me! Now we have those that say the leaflets are fake.

Never mind your pan galactic highway, is the Holocaust in doubt again?

Goodness me! Now we have those that say the leaflets are fake.

Never mind your pan galactic highway, is the Holocaust in doubt again?

This is a thread about the leaflets , so let's stick to the subject

the only things in doubt in this threat are the leaflets and the sincerity of your reply.

• Like 1

Like normaly I read some European newspapers today on the Internet. In not 1 paper was something mentioned about these leaflets. Also on the websites from the large tv station was nothing mentioned. The coverage of the situation about the ukrani is a verry big story in Europe, so it is strange that nobody write or talk about these leaflets.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Like normaly I read some European newspapers today on the Internet. In not 1 paper was something mentioned about these leaflets. Also on the websites from the large tv station was nothing mentioned. The coverage of the situation about the ukrani is a verry big story in Europe, so it is strange that nobody write or talk about these leaflets.

You can talk about it here. Obviously, the editors of the media you mention didn't think it rated priority to publish. That's neither here nor there about the obvious fact that these leaflets do exist. Cheers.

You can talk about it here. Obviously, the editors of the media you mention didn't think it rated priority to publish. That's neither here nor there about the obvious fact that these leaflets do exist. Cheers.
I didn't say that those leaflets didn't exist, only that there is no mention of them in the European press. And believe me this will be priority because the deportation of jews happened in Europe.

Not al stories you read online are turn out to be true. In the case of the missing flight MH370 there where all kind of reports. A lady told that she had seen that the aircraft crashed in the ocean when she was flying at 30000 ft, Greek media mentioned that a Greek tanker located suitcases in the ocean, a worker on a oil platform called his boss after a week that he had seen that the plane crashed, etc.