6 years overstay and about to fly back to the UK for 76 year old

Hello

a friend wants to fly back to the UK from CMX to BKK and BKK to LHR. Those 2 fligts are seperately booked and I think he will arrive at the domestic area in Swampy, now my questions, where is he best advised to clear his long overstay, CM immigration or at the airport in CM or can it be done in Swampy? Thank you very much for useful information on this and please refrain from overstay bashing. BTW, my friend is in bead health and will need a wheelchair for transport in Swampy,

thanks

Wolfgang

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will pay the overstay of 20k baht when he clears immigration in Bangkok going by the info you posted.

Instead of waiting in line for the immigration check he should inform the officers the that direct people to the lines he is on overstay and they will send heim to the overstay desk.

• Like 2

As he's not booked through from Chiang Mai to London it's a domestic flight to Bangkok so he wont touch Immigration.

He will need to pay his overstay fine of 20,000 Baht as he leaves the country through Suvarnabhumi, he will need to leave himself plenty of time though I understand the procedure is pretty quick.

The only thing he needs to watch out for is being stopped for any reason and asked to produce his passport before he gets to Suvarnabhumi. If an overstay is noticed by the police he could, theoretically, be arrested and hauled before a judge.

• Like 2

Thanks Ubonjoe but please leave it open for a little longer because I am scared bringing him to CM and I pushed him through the entrance at check in and he has to deal with this on his own. A friend who gave him the funds for overstay and the ticket back home will fly from CM to BKK on the same day but on a different flight and will not be able to help him because his flight is interconnected to the flight to Germany

I bow to the Moderators knowledge that it appears 20,000 will cure the problem but theres something seriously wrong if that is the case. Bad health or not some just treat immigration law with impunity

• Like 1

Many similar reports in TV already. Believe it or not.

I guess it happens to elderly people more often, simply because they are alone and helpless, maybe handicapped or sick.

At some time they give up the bureaucratic struggle.

Passport at CM: he will have to produce his passport at the gate check-in for identity check to the airline/airport staff.

But they only check the ID page.

Thanks for your kind words, plus I would like to add that he is on a UK pension of less than 15000 Baht a month and I think he will have even bigger problems surviving with this in the UK. And thanks for the info at CM check in,

Wolfgang

Thanks Ubonjoe but please leave it open for a little longer because I am scared bringing him to CM and I pushed him through the entrance at check in and he has to deal with this on his own. A friend who gave him the funds for overstay and the ticket back home will fly from CM to BKK on the same day but on a different flight and will not be able to help him because his flight is interconnected to the flight to Germany

Once he is in the airport his problems will be over as far as the overstay goes. Has the airlines been notified that he will need assistance?

They will only check his passport in CM as an ID check.

At suv they will not care either. Since he needs a wheel chair he will have help all the way,

Nothing to worry about.

Once he is in the airport his problems will be over as far as the overstay goes. Has the airlines been notified that he will need assistance?

They will only check his passport in CM as an ID check.

At suv they will not care either. Since he needs a wheel chair he will have help all the way,

Nothing to worry about.

Thanks Ubonjoe,

this takes a lot of pressure for all involved of my friends repatriation apart of the probs he will face in the UK with no place to live, but this is a differnt issue

Many similar reports in TV already. Believe it or not.

I guess it happens to elderly people more often, simply because they are alone and helpless, maybe handicapped or sick.

At some time they give up the bureaucratic struggle.

Passport at CM: he will have to produce his passport at the gate check-in for identity check to the airline/airport staff.

But they only check the ID page.

Incorrect (Passport at CM: he will have to produce his passport at the gate check-in for identity check) does not have to show passport, ANY photo ID can be used for domestic flight.

• Like 2

As for your friend seeking assistance in the U.K. -- it might be a good idea for someone to check in with Heathrow Travelcare prior to his going, to see what options are available for him:

http://heathrowtravelcare.co.uk/

Certainly, he needs to be aware of the existence of the Travel Care office, if he arrives in needs of assistance. Note, they're not open 24/7.

• Like 1

As for your friend seeking assistance in the U.K. -- it might be a good idea for someone to check in with Heathrow Travelcare prior to his going, to see what options are available for him:

Certainly, he needs to be aware of the existence of the Travel Care office, if he arrives in needs of assistance. Note, they're not open 24/7.

Thank you Nancyl for all your input on this,

Wolfgang

Thanks for your kind words, plus I would like to add that he is on a UK pension of less than 15000 Baht a month and I think he will have even bigger problems surviving with this in the UK. And thanks for the info at CM check in,

His pension will be increased once he's able to contact the Pension Authorities as it will be unfrozen and he will be paid the current rate, not by much but providing he has paid the maximum contributions it would be in the region of £113 per week, so about 24,250 Baht every four weeks.

• Like 1

I bow to the Moderators knowledge that it appears 20,000 will cure the problem but theres something seriously wrong if that is the case. Bad health or not some just treat immigration law with impunity

I don't think having to pay a 20k baht fine is impunity. That is the max fine set by the immigration act of 1979.

Immigration appears to have a policy the fine is all the punishment there will be if you voluntarily do it.

Getting caught with one is a different story.

• Like 2

@ 76 he'll likely be an ex serviceman & may find help there too:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/welfaresupportcontact.htm

another useful link for anyone in this position is:

http://www.turn2us.org.uk/grants_search.aspx

HTH

OP: Have you checked his passport is otherwise valid?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

His pension will be increased once he's able to contact the Pension Authorities as it will be unfrozen and he will be paid the current rate, not by much but providing he has paid the maximum contributions it would be in the region of £113 per week, so about 24,250 Baht every four weeks.

Thank you for this information, I will pass all this info to my friend and it will be very helpful for his new start in the UK aswell,

Wolfgang

Thaivisa.com a source of information for anything

Nothing wrong here..

He can very well still follow the immigration law......

Which states that an alien must possess a permission to stay in Thailand, reporting etc.

And failure to do so will result in a fine of up to 20,000 bahts upon exiting the country...

And Thailand will welcome him back if he so wishes...

Edited by Andre0720

Assuming that it is, indeed, the UK State Pension that we are talking about here, he might be in for a sizeable increase if his pension has been frozen at the same level as it was when he originally claimed it 11 years ago at the age of 65. Furthermore, all subsequent annual increases to which he would have been entitled had he been living in the UK rather than Thailand will be retrospectively backdated in the form of a lump sum payment AFAIK.

Edited by OJAS

I took someone to the airport 2 years ago and they required a wheelchair, on asking for this was told they must have a medical which they did and were then subsequently refused boarding as they required oxygen and it was 2 days to order. This was from Survanbumi to Chiang Mai.The info about overstay is correct however just bare in mind that airlines can/will refuse boarding if a customer is too sick, hopefully your friend will sail through and get back without any hiccups.

• Like 2

Thank you for this information, I will pass all this info to my friend and it will be very helpful for his new start in the UK aswell,

Wolfgang

Thaivisa.com a source of information for anything

Good luck to your friend - he's indeed fortunate to have your support (and that of the positive contributors to this subject). Thanks!

• Like 1

Will the guy be allowed back in to Thailand if he's overstayed for so long?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He could if he wanted to. There is no rule or regulation against it.