Ideas for gift from UK for late 20s Thai woman

RandomSand

Hey guys,

Someone I know will be holidaying in Thailand and I thought they could take a gift for my friend, in their luggage, to be sent-on using the local postal service.

What products would Thai women like to receive from the UK ?

My Thai woman friend loves her fashion and I don't mind shopping for whatever.

edit: I don't want to spend too much. Just a little surprise for novelty of something from the UK.

Edited by RandomSand

I find anything like a harrods shopping bag for life go down well, the thick plastic ones, or similar covent garden, union jack etc type bags. They like to use them for market shopping or stay overs. My mil uses hers when sleeping at temple to put her unmentionables in.

• Like 1

Always thought it funny or odd, Thai friend when they came to stay in UK would shop for clothes as gifts, appeared they loved the Label in Primark [or some such name] super cheap cothes stores

Gold

Gold is a possible second choice. Cash in a red envelope with gold decoration on it is the only gift truly appreciated. At weddings in Thailand nobody gives gifts. It is considered rude. Cash in a red envelope is the only appreciated and socially appropriate gift. Ask any bar girl and she will tell you, but it goes for all the women. Hand them a gift and they will refuse it repeatedly hoping you will get the message and spring with some cash. Hand them cash and there is not a nanosecond of delay before they take it from you.

But remember to never be generous because they will totally disrespect you and think you are a fool and easy with your money, which puts them in high gear to deplete your bank accounts before somebody else gets it from you.

Edited by unanimosity

hmmm.... i want to send gifts with hubby for his sisters:

me: sooo, hwat should i get mee, nit and pongsawan?

him: nothing. i dont want to carry anything.

me: but its fun to get gifts from overseas.

him: im too lazy, dont bother.

me: ok. and i went out and bought three silver necklaces with 'hamsa' charms... israeli, nice, real silver and if they dont like they can give to their daughters....

him: what will they do with them?

me: wear them.

him: mai son jai...then u bring them when u come over.

so i also went out and got some cheapy girly perfumes (paris hilton au de cologne stuff, some facial stuff which i know they like (sets with the carry case, sponge, etc gift packages).its only a present, not life saving medicne ...

frankly, i would send whatever u want, if u know her well then get more personal. if not, a set of something cosmetic wise, or even candy that u cant get in thailand, like gummie bears or candy corn (american stuff but the idea is the same.) recently received a huge bag of mini bags of mm's which we dont have here... great fun.

a coffee table book of snowy england... a small jewelrry box , for women its just sooo soo easy to find things. try buying gifts for men...

me: what about chamnan? (his elder brother)

him: no need

me: why not

him: he's up north dont bother waste of money.

so added some mens' colognes, not to mention bags of cashews, almonds, dates, and halva. will give to all the friends that used to be here and have gone back home...

ill find someone to give them to im sure.

Anything you would give as a gift to a kid back in the UK will work wonders when given to a young thai woman. No I am not joking it's true.

Or you could buy her a 3G package so she can be connected to Facebook 24/7.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 months later...

for late 20s Thai woman this will do the job... zak-designs-teletubbies-cool-lunchbag.jp

I have been invited to a Thai lady's post-wedding dinner in October, here on Koh Samui. She works in an Irish themed pub. She's about 30 years old and is from E-saan. She's not a bar girl; none of the girls who work there is one either. It's not that kind of place; it's a pub not a bar.

I have known her for about a year. I go there once or twice a week for lunch and she often serves me. She's a lovely, natural young woman. Sadly, she does not have an identical twin sister ?

I note what someone else has said about Thai women liking money, especially at a Thai wedding. I am not going to the wedding, which will be in E-saan anyway, just to the dinner here on Samui two days later.

Rather than money, and worrying about whether I'm giving her too much or too little, I quite like the idea of the Teletubbies bag. I was also thinking of getting her THESE. Thai women seem to have a thing about toes and toenails although I have never seen them using scissors like the ones from amazon. I am going back to England in August and can get them then. I shall be back in Samui in October, just in time for the dinner.

Her fiancé is Irish and of a similar age to her. I've never met him, but I've seen him once from a distance. Normally, he works in Bangkok. He looks a kind gentle man. I will give the present to her at the dinner. She will obviously open it in front of him. I don't want him to get the wrong idea about me, which he may well do if it looks as though I have spent too much.

I kind of feel the Teletubbies bag, with the scissors inside, shows that I have made an effort to use my imagination without being extravagant.

What do people think please?

I would add that after they're married in October, they want to move to Ireland to live. Once she's got her visa they'll be off, and I shall probably never see her again. Sad, but that's ok ☺️ I am very happy for them.