Living in Phuket

aussielao

We have two cars so transport isnt an issue.

Im only looking for a good village that is recomended.

We live in village namjai in rawai which is very popular with long term expats,when a sign is put

up at the entrance to the village for a house to rent its usually rented within 3 days

Best to find a house which suites you to begin with then have a look around and if you find a village

you really want to live in let the people in the village know and they can tell you when a house is avaliable

Which they will do if they like you and your family

Hi mate

Can only find namjai villas, is that the same place? I am after 3-4 bedroom house with a yard and outdoor area.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont care about what age or where people are from as long as good people it doesnt matter.

The main reason for wanting to move to phuket is for a change, we have lived in rayong over two years and pattaya about the same. I am 38 so not old or young some of my good friends are in their 50s both in Australia and Thailand. Just looking for a good area, we are beach lovers and i am keen on diving and fishing.

There is good and bad in every town, living in Pattaya people ask dont you get sick of all the bars and tourist!

The truth is it has been great living in Pattaya if you live a normal life, its up to people to choose the way they live in major tourist town.

You are the only one I have heard of coming from Pattaya to Phuket. Most are going the other way.

I would be interested in your assessment and comparison between the two, after you have settled in.

Depends on if you have to travel for work and the age of your child

I think your choice will be Kathu or rawai but you need to look for yourself

Rawai is developing very quickly, to quickly in my opinion and the rents will be higher than kathu

tesco, makro and supercheap have all opened supermarkets in the Rawai area

and its close to beaches

With the high expat population here it would not surprise me if a school was opened here in the next few years

Kathu is close to Patong and phuket town, very central

I have lived in both and i prefer rawai but we are all different

I'm not thrilled about Phuket cause of Transportation.These tuk tuk's would take me broke.

buy car/motorbike, phuket isn't for poor backpackers anymore..

It isn't for the wealthy either. I saw no need to pay a 15- 25% premium on goods and services that were either the same or of lower quality than found in other parts of Thailand.

I can't believe that anyone would want to bring up a young child in Rawai. I am not slamming the place, as it was fine on my few visits. However, I believe that there are better places to stay on Phuket with a young family.

What parts are you talking about?

Phuket is dearer, for everything, compared to the rest of Thailand. Actually, Singapore aside, it's the most expensive place in South East Asia.

For that reason, some see Phuket as prestigious, but others see the place as a rip off.

• Like 1

Rawai is developing very quickly, to quickly in my opinion and the rents will be higher than kathu

and its close to beaches

With the high expat population here it would not surprise me if a school was opened here in the next few years

"Rawai is developing very quickly, to quickly in my opinion and the rents will be higher than kathu" - don't you think oversupply of accommodation will drive rents and prices down?

and its close to beaches

Yeah we plan on stying for about 10 days to get a feel for it as if we lived there, i have been to phuket many times but as a tourist and diving. Just want a residents opinion to get me started, yor info has been a good help Cheers

and its close to beaches

I work in another country on a fixed roster so a trip two the airport is my only work transport i have.

and its close to beaches

I work in another country on a fixed roster so a trip two the airport is my only work transport i have.

Rawai is about as far from the airport as you can get on Phuket.

We have two cars so transport isnt an issue.

Im only looking for a good village that is recomended.

We live in village namjai in rawai which is very popular with long term expats,when a sign is put

up at the entrance to the village for a house to rent its usually rented within 3 days

Best to find a house which suites you to begin with then have a look around and if you find a village

you really want to live in let the people in the village know and they can tell you when a house is avaliable

Which they will do if they like you and your family

Hi mate

Can only find namjai villas, is that the same place? I am after 3-4 bedroom house with a yard and outdoor area.

Baan (village) namjai is on a side street of soi namjai which runs of viset road RHS at the bottom of the hill rawai beach side

So you turn into soi (road/street) namjai and turn into the first road on your left Moo 7 which is a dead end road that only services the village

There are 3/4 bedroom houses here but i do not know if any are avaliable to rent you need to ask and most of the houses in the village have decent size

secure yards

I will send you a PM with my phone number

and its close to beaches

Plenty of fly in fly out workers live in Rawai, its about a 1 hour drive to the airport, usually takes me about 50 minutes

Phuket is dearer, for everything, compared to the rest of Thailand. Actually, Singapore aside, it's the most expensive place in South East Asia.

For that reason, some see Phuket as prestigious, but others see the place as a rip off.

A bit more expensive compared to what? Prices go up depending on location all over the world.

I have lived in towns in Australia in the middle of nothing where rents are over $4000.00 per month due to demand.

Pattaya or phuket and places alike are going to be more expensive than others as they have more to offer, not saying they are bad places its just the way it is.

But your comment is taken onboard thanks

and its close to beaches

"Rawai is developing very quickly, to quickly in my opinion and the rents will be higher than kathu" - don't you think oversupply of accommodation will drive rents and prices down?

no

and its close to beaches

Plenty of fly in fly out workers live in Rawai, its about a 1 hour drive to the airport, usually takes me about 50 minutes

Thats fine i still get to work it used to take me two days when i was in australia haha

A bit more expensive compared to what? Prices go up depending on location all over the world.

I have lived in towns in Australia in the middle of nothing where rents are over $4000.00 per month due to demand.

Pattaya or phuket and places alike are going to be more expensive than others as they have more to offer, not saying they are bad places its just the way it is.

But your comment is taken onboard thanks

You will simply find everything more expensive on Phuket. The product may even be exactly the same as anywhere else in Thailand, but it will be more expensive on Phuket, and for some things, that includes more expensive than Bangkok, the Capital.

It's still affordable, but many see it as a rip off. I think that's all the other member was trying to say.

Higher rents are demanded on Phuket and that is pushed onto the consumer, for pretty much everything.

Also, collusion and monopoly play a big part here in some industries here. They will charge what they want, because they can, and you have no choice but to pay. In many cases, don't think you can haggle a fairer price - they will just let you walk away.

You will not have a problem, but you will see that Phuket economics run a lot differently to Pattaya, for example.

and its close to beaches

no

How do you figure that?

Because the law of supply and demand doesn't work in Thailand generally and Phuket specifically?

That's true, I did mention that in a previous post. Probably why there will be a lot of vacant properties down there in the future. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Things are more expensive in Phuket because they are brought by road from Bangkok and then

have to be stored and distribute here they are not delivered direct to the outlets from bangkok most of the time

Its not expensive if you can afford to live here, much cheaper than outback Australia and cheaper than the capitol cities there

Because the law of supply and demand doesn't work in Thailand generally and Phuket specifically?

That's true, I did mention that in a previous post. Probably why there will be a lot of vacant properties down there in the future. smile.png

You do not have a clue, there are no vacant rental properties where we live and rents are from 22K baht for a 2 bedroom

and up 18 months ago

As soon as a new house is finished its rented out within a few days, quite often rented before its finished

Supply and demand is correct, not a big supply but plenty of demand, unlike other areas

and its close to beaches

With the present roadworks 50 minutes is only possible on the quiet times, when it can even be around 40 minutes. At normal hours it will be over 1 hour, at peak hours up to 2 hours. And with the upcoming roadworks it will get more.

But the OP is ok with that, just wanted to point out that Rawai is the furthest point from the airport on Phuket.

If you're staying for awhile, don't stay in Rawai. Anywhere south of Chalong circle will be a nightmare once they start building the underpass at the Chalong round-about.

Also, the average age of the Expats down in Rawai has to be at least 65. It's euphemistically called "Gods waiting-room".

I recommend Kathu. Not far from anywhere and there are still some lovely quiet spots.

I believe that applies to ALL of Phuket. Veritable tropical Eastbourne-on-Sea. Sod all here. May as well buy some plot up country for that which you'd pay for one month's rent here. If you're a family man wink.png

Edited by jpeg

It's difficult to compare Rawai to Kathu, because they are such different towns. I see Rawai as more for the expat that wants to retain a bit of the holiday spirit, there's some nice beaches there, Nai Harn is close by. It's not great for schools or what I jokingly term civilization. Having said that in my work I spend a lot of time travelling from the North end of the island to the South and I will say that the weather seems to be better in Rawai, as crazy as that sounds. If it's raining in Paklok it will usually be dry in Rawai/Nai Harn. I heard that once on the radio and was amazed to find it is true!

Kathu is more for the expat, maybe with a family, wanting a regular life that they might enjoy at home, but with the beach nearby. All within a 20/25 minute drive of Kathu are Central Festival, Makro, Bangkok Hospital, Phuket International Hospital, Mission Hosptial, Jung Ceylon (with excellent cinemas in both malls), Kajonkiet Private school (English program and international), British International School, several other government and private schools, Tesco, several golf courses, a few marinas etc. The airport is between a 30 and 45 minute drive if you know the short cut behind BIS. To sum up I like Rawai a lot, it's a very relaxing place, but live in Kathu!

For surfing I'd recommend Nai Yang and Nai Thon beaches, windy and a strong current.

Stephen

PS sorry for the commercial .....I look at property details sheets all day !

Edited by SDM0712

Yes, and you make sure we all realise that in every post of yours. IMO a bit more moderation would be better.

It's difficult to compare Rawai to Kathu, because they are such different towns. I see Rawai as more for the expat that wants to retain a bit of the holiday spirit, there's some nice beaches there, Nai Harn is close by. It's not great for schools or what I jokingly term civilization. Having said that in my work I spend a lot of time travelling from the North end of the island to the South and I will say that the weather seems to be better in Rawai, as crazy as that sounds. If it's raining in Paklok it will usually be dry in Rawai/Nai Harn. I heard that once on the radio and was amazed to find it is true!

Kathu is more for the expat, maybe with a family, wanting a regular life that they might enjoy at home, but with the beach nearby. All within a 20/25 minute drive of Kathu are Central Festival, Makro, Bangkok Hospital, Phuket International Hospital, Mission Hosptial, Jung Ceylon (with excellent cinemas in both malls), Kajonkiet Private school (English program and international), British International School, several other government and private schools, Tesco, several golf courses, a few marinas etc. The airport is between a 30 and 45 minute drive if you know the short cut behind BIS. To sum up I like Rawai a lot, it's a very relaxing place, but live in Kathu!

For surfing I'd recommend Nai Yang and Nai Thon beaches, windy and a strong current.

Stephen

Thanks for that, very good info

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for that, very good info

Cheers

No problem.

If you do move over I would also, as someone else here said, be interested on your view of Phuket compared to Pattaya. It would be nice to get opinion based on actual experience.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

Indeed, Rawai has less rain than Kathu. Years ago I lived in Kathu and it rained constantly during rainy season, and quite often when I went to Nai Harn it wasn't raining. Now living in the south, I talk to friends in Kathu and while it's raining there, it's not raining in the south.

• Like 1

Indeed, Rawai has less rain than Kathu. Years ago I lived in Kathu and it rained constantly during rainy season, and quite often when I went to Nai Harn it wasn't raining. Now living in the south, I talk to friends in Kathu and while it's raining there, it's not raining in the south.

"Gods waiting room" though SP...........Karen Bravo and others say so, have to stock up on our adult diapers and be sure to have a walker nearby.

A nice crib in the Kathu area I think would suit the OP. As others mentioned centrally located for the guy.

Yes, and you make sure we all realise that in every post of yours. IMO a bit more moderation would be better.

When I say "sorry for the commercial " I mean my descriptions of Kathu and Rawai read more like property sales sheet descriptions, but are factually correct, as are all my details.

In terms of my posts, if you don't like them then don't read them, it's quite simple really. I am sure that if I were in breach of the rules that they would be removed.

The question is property related and there is no point in hiding the fact that I have a property agency here and spend all day looking at properties all over the island, so one would think my opinion might be of value to someone asking for advice on where to live in Phuket. Many know their own part of the island, but I am familiar with the whole island so have a different perspective.

Have a nice day.

SDM

Nothing to do with correct or not, and yes, I agree your information can be valuable.

But in every post mentioning you're a property agent IMO is overdone.