Signing up for US medicare as an expat

CaptHaddock

Agreed, well not on the digital exam part. The issue I was having, at least to me didn't seem like prostrate. I think the sonogram determined that, it is a bit complicated. I was aware of the other tests at the time, worked with a lot of medics over the years. I will be going back for PSA, I'll pass on the digital, thank you...lol. There were additional problems occuring at the same time I would rather not discuss, some stress related, and I couldn't discuss with the wife sitting there either.

Repatriation to America to get on Medicaid or emigration to a country that has low-cost generous health care insurance would seem to be a good solution for your various medical problems. For the sake of your health, sooner rather than later. If you can't afford health care in Thailand then you can't afford it. Dithering and worrying won't help you. I'm sorry that you got taken but sympathy won't solve your health problems. I suggest that you "bite the bullet" and get yourself to a country where the welfare system will allow you to be treated for your failing eyesight and incipient diabetes promptly. That would be the best use of your remaining funds. Good luck!

This may sound "cold" but it is sound advice. If someone knows they have a chronic health problem and/or a looming health problem that they can't afford to care for here in Thailand then they shouldn't ignore the condition. They should get themselves to a place where they will be covered by the welfare system. They shouldn't count on being well enough to get on an airplane when the inevitable time comes for care.

Edited by NancyL

Sort of along the same topic, but does anyone know if you can sign up for insurance under the ACA in the US if you repatriate outside of the sign-up 'window'? Not planning on repatriating, but just curious.

Sort of along the same topic, but does anyone know if you can sign up for insurance under the ACA in the US if you repatriate outside of the sign-up 'window'? Not planning on repatriating, but just curious.

There are a number of answers to related questions at this link: http://yucalandia.com/living-in-yucatan-mexico/aca-obamacares-effects-on-american-expats-living-abroad/#What%20if%20I%20return%20to%20live%20in%20the%20USA%20during%20the%20year

The official Medicare website, medicare.gov, has an answer to the penalty issue for not getting Part B immediately upon turning 65:

"If you're a U.S. citizen, over 65, not eligible for Social Security benefits, and you lived in a foreign country when you turned 65, you must live in the U.S. to file for Part B. You're first eligible to enroll in Part B the month you return to the U.S. to establish your new residence. You won't have to pay a higher premium if you enroll in Part B when you first return to the U.S."

Source: http://www.medicare.gov/people-like-me/outside-us/signing-up-for-part-b-outside-us.html

Thanks for that URL link. I got excited in particular about the section you quoted, until I realized it probably won't apply to my situation: I plan to start taking my Social Security payments at age 62 (if that option still exists in three years...) as an expat living overseas.

That Medicare web page lists two other scenarios which cover those already receiving Social Security and both say "...and you may have to pay higher premiums." What determines if you are exempt from paying higher premiums? Would living overseas when starting Social Security payments at age 62 and remaining overseas until age 65, at which time you enrolled in Medicare Part A but not Part B, be a scenario where one can enroll upon repatriating to the USA and enroll in Plan B without penalty?

Most federal govt. retirees insurance companies waive deductibles and co-insurance if one has Medicare A&B, so there is no payment or it's an affordable one. This is why I think traditional (not Advantage) Medicare is worth it over here, especially when you don't have a lot of money. I don't know about non-govt. plans.

Cataract disease is a slow process, maybe 10 years, but you will know when you need surgery.

Most federal govt. retirees insurance companies waive deductibles and co-insurance if one has Medicare A&B,

Have you actually experienced this? Believe that is only true if Medicare is primary with claims submitted first to them directly from doctor/hospital - which they would not be for overseas coverage - so doubt that there is any advantage to having Medicare if living overseas (unless you plan to use it as primary with a return to USA for coverage). This is current FEP Blue Cross wording for overseas care:

Under both Standard and Basic Options, when the Plan allowance is based on the Overseas Fee
Schedule, you pay any difference between our payment and the amount billed, in addition to any
applicable coinsurance and/or copayment amounts.
For facility care you receive overseas, we provide benefits at the Preferred level under both
Standard and Basic Options after you pay the applicable copayment or coinsurance.

Most federal govt. retirees insurance companies waive deductibles and co-insurance if one has Medicare A&B,

Have you actually experienced this? Believe that is only true if Medicare is primary with claims submitted first to them directly from doctor/hospital - which they would not be for overseas coverage - so doubt that there is any advantage to having Medicare if living overseas (unless you plan to use it as primary with a return to USA for coverage). This is current FEP Blue Cross wording for overseas care:

Under both Standard and Basic Options, when the Plan allowance is based on the Overseas Fee
Schedule, you pay any difference between our payment and the amount billed, in addition to any
applicable coinsurance and/or copayment amounts.
For facility care you receive overseas, we provide benefits at the Preferred level under both
Standard and Basic Options after you pay the applicable copayment or coinsurance.

My Medicare is primary. I haven't experienced it over here because I've been going back to the States. I joined Fepblue this year and confirmed the benefit (GEHA also waives fees when the enrollee has Medicare primary).

The first quote assumes no Medicare enrollment or it isn't primary (still working over 65).

The second quote is all services are from preferred providers. Assumes no Medicare enrollment or it isn't primary (still working over 65).

So except for drugs, the Fepblue Basic plan has the same benefits as the Standard.

My belief is that Medicare will not be primary on an overseas claim so the normal co payment would likely be required. My quote is from manual and has nothing to do with working or not working stated so must apply to any overseas claim as there are no exceptions noted. This would also make the basic and standard coverage a bit different, if my reading is true, as they have different co-payments. But for you this would not be an issue getting medical care in US under Medicare - but for most permanent overseas members do not believe there is any advantage unless return to US for treatment (and even that is minor as the reason coverage is not required is because Federal Insurance has been found to provide the same or better coverage).

I agree for you it fits. But for some it may not unless all claims are treated as medicare primary (which technically is impossible, in my understanding, as overseas provides can not file directly as required by medicare).

Maybe I just can't read, sorry. But I want to clarify some things.

You can't get medicare until you are 65. At that point you must get A which is free. You have the option to also buy B which is $104.90 per month unless you are high income and then there is a sliding scale. A covers anything at a hospital that requires an overnight stay, so that can be a big deal such as for a heart attack. B covers doctors' office visits and routine procedures. You can also buy prescription drug coverage (RX) which is about $25 a month. I forget the exact amount. There are deductibles and co-pays for all of these services.

Some opt for C instead of B which is medicare advantage (MA). That is provided by a private insurer and is heavily subsidized by the government which then no longer provides B and RX. The cost varies depending on what you choose from a menu, but most people opt for it because it covers more things, often with lower co-pays and deductibles for very little more than B and RX. People I know are paying about $150 per month for it. The government subsidizes it by paying the private insurer about $1,100 per month on your behalf.

NOW IF you think you are in jeopardy of a serious health problem including having a family history of it, you can get A, B, RX and F. F is Medigap and picks up all of the deductibles and co-pays for A, B, and RX and you are never out of pocket for any health care at all. A, B, RX and F cost me about $270 or $280 per month all in. The reason I haven't done the math lately is that A is free, B and RX are withheld from my SS checks, and then I pay Aetna Insurance Company $140 per month for F. The government heavily subsidizes that too.

NOW why some people don't maintain a US address and US bank account so that all of this can be local I don't know. S. Dakota actively encourages non residents to become residents. It has no income tax. THESE people will give you a physical address at a mobile home park rather than a PO box, do mail forwarding, it is affirmatively legal, and you can keep everything current in the US.

Then if you get ill and can make a flight back to US soil you are covered anywhere in the US without waiting. Some of the most expensive illnesses aren't debilitating or an emergency immediately after diagnosis. Think cancer, some heart or artery problems, Alzheimers and many, many others.

Edited by NeverSure

You can't get medicare until you are 65. At that point you must get A which is free.

Not true - we are talking about those with federal health insurance and they are not required to participate in medicare.

Maybe I just can't read, sorry. But I want to clarify some things.

You can't get medicare until you are 65. At that point you must get A which is free. You have the option to also buy B which is $104.90 per month unless you are high income and then there is a sliding scale. A covers anything at a hospital that requires an overnight stay, so that can be a big deal such as for a heart attack. B covers doctors' office visits and routine procedures. You can also buy prescription drug coverage (RX) which is about $25 a month. I forget the exact amount. There are deductibles and co-pays for all of these services.

Some opt for C instead of B which is medicare advantage (MA). That is provided by a private insurer and is heavily subsidized by the government which then no longer provides B and RX. The cost varies depending on what you choose from a menu, but most people opt for it because it covers more things, often with lower co-pays and deductibles for very little more than B and RX. People I know are paying about $150 per month for it. The government subsidizes it by paying the private insurer about $1,100 per month on your behalf.

NOW IF you think you are in jeopardy of a serious health problem including having a family history of it, you can get A, B, RX and F. F is Medigap and picks up all of the deductibles and co-pays for A, B, and RX and you are never out of pocket for any health care at all. A, B, RX and F cost me about $270 or $280 per month all in. The reason I haven't done the math lately is that A is free, B and RX are withheld from my SS checks, and then I pay Aetna Insurance Company $140 per month for F. The government heavily subsidizes that too.

NOW why some people don't maintain a US address and US bank account so that all of this can be local I don't know. S. Dakota actively encourages non residents to become residents. It has no income tax. THESE people will give you a physical address at a mobile home park rather than a PO box, do mail forwarding, it is affirmatively legal, and you can keep everything current in the US.

Then if you get ill and can make a flight back to US soil you are covered anywhere in the US without waiting. Some of the most expensive illnesses aren't debilitating or an emergency immediately after diagnosis. Think cancer, some heart or artery problems, Alzheimers and many, many others.

It's not that you must sign up for Medicare Part A, which is free if you have paid enough Medicare tax while working to qualify. If you are collecting SS at age 65, the SSA will sign you up automatically for Part A. If you are not receiving SS benefits at age 65, you are not required to register for Part A. You can register later without penalty. There's obviously no benefit in waiting.

Part B, which basically covers doctors' services both in their office and in the hospital, is neither required or automatic. If you are collecting SS benefits at the time you sign up for Part B, the SSA will deduct the premiums from your SS benefit payment. Otherwise, you get billed and have to send payment quarterly. Signing up for Medicare Advantage requires and subsumes Part B, rather than replacing it.

The very good reason not to sign up for Medicare Advantage or Medigap, which are private plans regulated by Medicare, is that, unlike Part A and Part B, they provide coverage only in a particular US region and require that you live in that region. You could lie about living there and buy the coverage anyway, but at the very least when you decided to make a claim under those policies you would have to return to that region of the US to get treatment. These plans are not honored throughout the US, just the region where you "live." For many of us that strategy would not work. My mailing address is in no-income-tax state Florida, but I never go there. All of my contacts in the US are in the Northeast, in states that do have income taxes. It would not be of any use to me to buy a Medicare Advantage plan for Florida if I had to fly to Florida and stay in a hotel there to get treatment. If I ever were to repatriate to the US permanently I would be able to sign up for a Medicare Advantage or Medigap plan at that time without have to pay a penalty forever afterward, unlike Part B. Therefore, it makes sense to sign up for Part B now and wait until such time as I return to live in the US to sign up for MA, if ever.

My belief is that Medicare will not be primary on an overseas claim so the normal co payment would likely be required. My quote is from manual and has nothing to do with working or not working stated so must apply to any overseas claim as there are no exceptions noted. This would also make the basic and standard coverage a bit different, if my reading is true, as they have different co-payments. But for you this would not be an issue getting medical care in US under Medicare - but for most permanent overseas members do not believe there is any advantage unless return to US for treatment (and even that is minor as the reason coverage is not required is because Federal Insurance has been found to provide the same or better coverage).

I agree for you it fits. But for some it may not unless all claims are treated as medicare primary (which technically is impossible, in my understanding, as overseas provides can not file directly as required by medicare).

Medicare A is no cost because you paid for it working, B costs $1260.a year (2014 with no penalty add-on),which means no fees with most secondary insurance companies. So if your not in the hospital for about two weeks every year, it's probably not worth having living over here.

I dropped part B not long after moving full time here, same year it started, and frankly not sure why I ever started it. I hope to never have to go back to the states. I can get same plan as my Thai wife for government hospital/services here, but if it is something very, very expensive with an expectancy I will be able to resume my present lifestyle it might be cheaper to return to the states. One has to consider the costs while there, plane tickets, housing, clothing, out of hospital care, etc., etc. Medical would not be too bad, when I resume plan B my work/retirement insurance kicks in also at no cost. If I could not me assured of complete recovery and ability to regain my lifestyle I'll do best I can to live life to its fullest until they pop me in the oven. I've watched too many of my friends die from Agent Orange, isn't pretty.

• 1 month later...

I filed for medicare and Social security online while working in Middle East. Both went thru with no problems.I just returned from Houston where I

Did my application on-line and just got my Medicare card in the mail at my Thai address today. :-)

FYI....I have medical coverage here in LOS, but just for back-up and for when I return to the ISA for a new knee...:-(

post-53398-0-66619900-1404188132_thumb.j

I thought you automatically got Part A with no action on your part?

I recall getting a letter/notification from them when I became eligible (sent to me in Thailand), and (maybe??) an ID card, announcing the joyous occasion when I was covered by Part A as long as I was in the US. Since I have no intention of returning there and I have US based insurance that covers me in Thailand,I didn't file the notice in a safe place. Probably went into the circular file.

I am receiving Social Security and they have my address in Thailand and I file my 1040 using my Thai address, so I would hesitate to consider using a US address for Medicare, even if I thought I might use it in future ... which I don't.

I think if you are already receiving SS benefits on your 65th birthday they will sign you up for

Medicare Part A automatically, but not otherwise.

-------------------------

I retired for health reasons at age 64 and am getting 75% of full benefits for that reason.

If I had been able to wait until age 65, I would have received full benefits, but that just wasn't medically possible. due to an accident leaving me unable to work at that time.

At age 65 I was signed up for part B coverage..... not something requested by me by something the Social Security decided to do for me. I had no say in the matter... they just notified they had signed me up as a "benefit" to me.

Since age 65, I have been paying $99 a month from my Social Security benefits for Part B coverage, which I can not use outside the U.S.

I do not have a U.S. mailing address, and therefore Social Security will not let me sign up for the My Social Security on-line program.

But at least I'm still getting my monthly Social Security benefits,

I do not have a U.S. address, mainly for tax purposes.

But I still have to cough up my $99 dollars monthly for part B from my monthly Social Security benefits.

The theory is that if I need medical care I can return to the U.S. and receive that medical care and prescription drugs using that Medicare/Medicaid coverage.

It's useless to me outside the U.S.

Oh well, whatever, I never expected any more than that from the professional liars in the U.S. government anyhow.

(I worked for them foe many years as a "civilian advisor" to the U.S. military, and I saw first hand many of their 'less than full truths")

I regularly return to the U.S. about once a year anyhow, mainly to see my brothers and sister ..... but other than that I have very little attachment to or interest in anything to do with the U.S.A.

But that's a long story, and I'll stop boring you now.

Citizens Service in the American Embassy will help you cancel Part B. I used them as I could not find the Social Security form to do so even after hours of searching. They will even do the mailing to SS for you if I remember correctly, same as with VA paperwork. Correspondence coming from the Embassy doesn't seem to get 'lost' as often. I too cannot get to the Social Security personal account on line. They send the password to my mailing address in the states and by the time it gets there, my attorney retrieves it and forwards to me and then gets here it has expired. After several attempts I gave up. I keep a US address, as well as drivers license. It does help in many things, without it I could not maintain my debit/credit cards. I don't go back to the states, hope to never have to return. If I do return it won't be for anything related to happy. IMA I believe we have very similar feelings about the US 'government'. As for Medicare, I can't use it, can't get my money back, that is theft by fraud as far as I'm concerned. Ex-pats will never be allowed to use Medicare overseas, no matter that we payed for that right. The 'medical profession' in the states would loose too much money and that is all they care about. A serious illness here would be a big, big problem for me as my savings were wiped out. Everyday stuff is cheaper that co-pay etc. back in the states. I'm not sure how restarting Part B if you have been overseas for an extended period works, same as if you did not sign up originally in the states? If I had a serious, expensive but fully curable with lifestyle to remain the same I'll have to re-instate part B. In my case, with that move my insurance from work kicks in to cover what A and B doesn't. If the situation is not 100% restoration of lifestyle then I'll just live the best I can as long as I can right here and they can pop me in the oven when it's over.

• Like 1

I concur. At a time when the congress is looking for ways to cut the outlay for the military including sharply reducing the size of the force and increasing the cost of Tricare to families, it is not likely that Medicare will be extended to Expat veterans.

Thanks for clarifying that Expats can enroll in Part D and/or Advantage plans within two months after repatriation. BTW, I must pay $146 monthly for my Part B.

A friend of mine a Vet. broke his leg in Chiang Mai and I went to the Veterans hospital here in New Mexico to see if he could file a claim but no, unless you have a 100 percent disability you are on medicare. Having said that when I enlisted at 17 as a volunteer I didn't join to get free medical care or a drink. I joined to serve my country spouting such nonsense cheapens your service and your commitment.

I recall getting a letter/notification from them when I became eligible (sent to me in Thailand), and (maybe??) an ID card, announcing the joyous occasion when I was covered by Part A as long as I was in the US. Since I have no intention of returning there and I have US based insurance that covers me in Thailand,I didn't file the notice in a safe place. Probably went into the circular file.

I am receiving Social Security and they have my address in Thailand and I file my 1040 using my Thai address, so I would hesitate to consider using a US address for Medicare, even if I thought I might use it in future ... which I don't.

I think if you are already receiving SS benefits on your 65th birthday they will sign you up for

-------------------------

I retired for health reasons at age 64 and am getting 75% of full benefits for that reason.

If I had been able to wait until age 65, I would have received full benefits, but that just wasn't medically possible. due to an accident leaving me unable to work at that time.

At age 65 I was signed up for part B coverage..... not something requested by me by something the Social Security decided to do for me. I had no say in the matter... they just notified they had signed me up as a "benefit" to me.

Since age 65, I have been paying $99 a month from my Social Security benefits for Part B coverage, which I can not use outside the U.S.

I do not have a U.S. mailing address, and therefore Social Security will not let me sign up for the My Social Security on-line program.

But at least I'm still getting my monthly Social Security benefits,

I do not have a U.S. address, mainly for tax purposes.

But I still have to cough up my $99 dollars monthly for part B from my monthly Social Security benefits.

The theory is that if I need medical care I can return to the U.S. and receive that medical care and prescription drugs using that Medicare/Medicaid coverage.

It's useless to me outside the U.S.

Oh well, whatever, I never expected any more than that from the professional liars in the U.S. government anyhow.

(I worked for them foe many years as a "civilian advisor" to the U.S. military, and I saw first hand many of their 'less than full truths")

I regularly return to the U.S. about once a year anyhow, mainly to see my brothers and sister ..... but other than that I have very little attachment to or interest in anything to do with the U.S.A.

But that's a long story, and I'll stop boring you now.

Since I don't collect on my SS, they never sent me any notice or signed me up early, just did it myself without the Plan B stuff. At some point I'll be going back for a knee replacement, but for now just grin and bear it :-) I do have health coverage here in LOS, but only as backup. Not sure about knee replacement here. When I got checked out at the Bangkok Pattaya hospital they didn't know jack shit about it and just tried to medicate me up the you-yang...:-(

I don't know if TIC has offices in the USA that offer coverage for Americans, but they seem to have been around a long time in Canada, offer travel & expat insurance, & have paid me on a claim of around 350 USD.

I had a surgery with anesthetic at Bumrungrad to chop off a bit of flesh that was related to a blood clot. So i guess it was life threatening. The low cost of this procedure surprises me. At that rate i may not have bothered to even claim, but wanted to test out the reliability of this company to pay.

https://www.travelinsurance.ca/en/public/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.biis.ca/global-expatriate-insurance/tic.php

Their website seems to say their travel-medical plans are only for Canadian residents or those traveling to Canada.

I don't know if TIC has offices in the USA that offer coverage for Americans, but they seem to have been around a long time in Canada, offer travel & expat insurance, & have paid me on a claim of around 350 USD.

I had a surgery with anesthetic at Bumrungrad to chop off a bit of flesh that was related to a blood clot. So i guess it was life threatening. The low cost of this procedure surprises me. At that rate i may not have bothered to even claim, but wanted to test out the reliability of this company to pay.

https://www.travelinsurance.ca/en/public/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.biis.ca/global-expatriate-insurance/tic.php

I have to pay quite a lot for my Medicare Part B but in a worst-case scenario, I could return to the USA for intensive/long-term care. Those who haven't signed up when they became eligible or who cancelled their Part B should be aware that there is a 10% penalty for every year that you haven't paid in after you became eligible. I keep an permanent address in the USA so I didn't want to chance incurring the penalty. I think that there is a clause that allows for sign-up for a certain period without penalty for those who repatriate after living overseas.

• 9 months later...

I've read through most all the posts here, and think I have a pretty good understanding of it all.
But one thing that surprises me, and maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems to me that if you go for the Medigap or the Medicare Advantage thing, through a private insurance co. or hospital, that (I think) you can get the payment for Plan B down to zero!!!
By using some deductibles and different options they can give you.

Now, I'm not sure if this is true but I think you HAVE to set up an appointment in the US with one or a few of these people (my USA PO box is supposedly stuffed full of offers every week, from what I hear).

Has anyone done this? And got their payment for Plan B (and drugs maybe) down to zero with some deductibles?

I've read through most all the posts here, and think I have a pretty good understanding of it all.

But one thing that surprises me, and maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems to me that if you go for the Medigap or the Medicare Advantage thing, through a private insurance co. or hospital, that (I think) you can get the payment for Plan B down to zero!!!

By using some deductibles and different options they can give you.

Now, I'm not sure if this is true but I think you HAVE to set up an appointment in the US with one or a few of these people (my USA PO box is supposedly stuffed full of offers every week, from what I hear).

Has anyone done this? And got their payment for Plan B (and drugs maybe) down to zero with some deductibles?

This discussion is about Medicare for expats. An expat is not eligible to enroll in Medigap or Medicare Advantage. An expat could, of course, fraudulently claim to reside in the US, but, apart from possibly incurring liability for state income tax by doing so, he would be paying rather a lot for services that he could not use without flying back to the US. Considering that medical costs in Thailand are vastly less than in the US, that insurance premium money would buy a lot of healthcare here. In addition, fraudulently claiming eligibility for an insurance policy of any kind would enable the insurer to rescind the policy just at the point when the expat is making a claim, if the insurance company were to become aware of the fraud.

So, expensive, dangerous, and possibly ineffective when you need it most. Why would you consider such a course of action?

Edited by CaptHaddock

Why? Because I live here half the year and in the states the other half.
I have Thai health insurance that covers me here.

I pay taxes in America. Always have.

And I soon turn 65, so, I have choices to make and trying to find out all I can before I head back.
I don't think it's fraudulent at all.

Why do you say it is?

-------------------

I retired in 2010 a age 64with 75 % benefits

When I hit 65 I was automatically signed up for medicare/medicade coverage.

I currently have 104 dollars deducted from my Social Security benefits each month for the Part B coverage I can't and won't use.

-------------------

I retired in 2010 a age 64with 75 % benefits

When I hit 65 I was automatically signed up for medicare/medicade coverage.

I currently have 104 dollars deducted from my Social Security benefits each month for the Part B coverage I can't and won't use.

Then you should cancel Part B.

https://www.caring.com/questions/medicare-part-b-removal

Medicare makes it difficult to cancel, or withdraw from, Medicare Part B, and part of this intentional difficulty is not having a simple online form for it through the Medicare.gov See also:

Is my disabled sister eligible for Medicare parts A&B? Web site. Because

Medicare Part B provides important coverage for most people 65 and older, and because there's a penalty if someone cancels Medicare but then later wants to enroll again, Medicare enrolls everyone automatically at age 65 and wants to make sure no one cancels their coverage without fully understanding the consequences.

So, in order to cancel your Medicare Part B coverage, you have to fill out a form (CMS-1763) with the Social Security Administration, which handles initial Medicare enrollment. In order to do so, you must call your local Social Security office and speak on the phone with a Social Security adviser who can help you fill out this form. Or, you can make an appointment to see a Social Security adviser in person, at your local Social Security office. Once you have filled out the form and submitted it to Social Security, they will send you a letter explaining the consequences of withdrawing from Medicare Part B. Your withdrawal will be effective at the end of the month when you file your request form. To learn more about this process, you can visit the Social Security Administration's Web site page Withdrawing from Medicare Part B.Medicare makes it difficult to cancel, or withdraw from, Medicare Part B, and part of this intentional difficulty is not having a simple online form for it through the Medicare.gov See also:

Is my disabled sister eligible for Medicare parts A&B? Web site. Because

Medicare Part B provides important coverage for most people 65 and older, and because there's a penalty if someone cancels Medicare but then later wants to enroll again, Medicare enrolls everyone automatically at age 65 and wants to make sure no one cancels their coverage without fully understanding the consequences.

So, in order to cancel your Medicare Part B coverage, you have to fill out a form (CMS-1763) with the Social Security Administration, which handles initial Medicare enrollment. In order to do so, you must call your local Social Security office and speak on the phone with a Social Security adviser who can help you fill out this form. Or, you can make an appointment to see a Social Security adviser in person, at your local Social Security office. Once you have filled out the form and submitted it to Social Security, they will send you a letter explaining the consequences of withdrawing from Medicare Part B. Your withdrawal will be effective at the end of the month when you file your request form. To learn more about this process, you can visit the Social Security Administration's Web site page Withdrawing from Medicare Part B.

linkk fo form CMS-1763

http://www.pdffiller.com/1323594-CMS1763-CMS-1763-Other-forms-photos-state

Edited by CaptHaddock