1,000 baht fine for those who ignored drowning teens: Chao Phraya River

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That the boys could even get into the river in the first place shows how screwed up the society is on so many levels. How is it possible no adults were around to stop children from swimming in such a monstrous river? How could their parents not have warned them never to swim in the river? How is it possible to get access to the river so easily? It seems like the kids had no self-preservation instinct. Do children also have to be told not to set themselves on fire and not to defenestrate themselves?

I don't much blame the photographer - they'd have likely suffered the same fate had they dove into the water unassisted. The boats, however, should have stopped. Joking or not, those kids should have been snatched from the water and marched home to their parents by the police for a good [figurative] whooping.

Edited by attrayant

Jing, just saying... if I was a boat driver who actually ignored kids who were really drowning, I don't think the first excuse I'd think of would be to claim the kids have been faking drownings on me in the past.

If I was a boat driver who actually ignored kids who turned out to be drowning, and was later contacted my police, my first likely response would be to simply say I thought they were horsing around in the water as kids do, and didn't realize there was any trouble.

Maybe the boat drivers' claim here is true... Or maybe it's not. I'm just saying, based on the news that's been reported, I don't know that we have any good way to know for sure.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

That the boys could even get into the river in the first place shows how screwed up the society is on so many levels. How is it possible no adults were around to stop children from swimming in such a monstrous river? How could their parents not have warned them never to swim in the river? How is it possible to get access to the river so easily? It seems like the kids had no self-preservation instinct. Do children also have to be told not to set themselves on fire and not to defenestrate themselves?

I don't know the water situation in the exact spot where these kids drowned. But in general, it's not uncommon at all to see Thai kids swimming along parts of the Chao Phraya in different areas. I've seen it all the time. Hardly any surprise when the weather turns hot, as there's likely not a public swimming pool in their neighborhoods.

I'm not saying it's good or bad... Just saying, it's common here.

Disgusting people,, pathetic excuses,, insulting fine.

Don't know how they can live with themselves, must be hollow inside.

Truly tragic incident.. Don't care if this draws criticism,, when it comes to people caring for each other and helping a stranger in need most Western countries put Thailand to shame.

• Like 1

The people filming the boys when they drown are much worse than the boat owners.

With all due respect to your statement about the people filming this appalling tragedy,and judging by the poor quality of the picture they could have been 600+ yards away; what with the very long zoom lenses that we have today. So apart from trying to alert the 'Authorities' (ha ha) they could have done very little to assist the drowning boys. As to one of the people that suggested that the boats were travelling at 45mph just look at the front of the boats - hardly a fast flow of water showing, so much for moving fast eh? I don't care how many times these cretins suggest that they may have been 'duped' before; it is NO EXCUSE not to have assisted in their rescue - shame on them and their dubious 'Merits' earned, but I suppose that all they have to do is go to some temple somewhere to reconcile their lost Merit points?

wow, so a thai life is only worth 1000 baht, I guess life is cheap here. It still amazes me that people could just ignore two kids drowing, says a lot for thainess.

Life is worth a lot more if it's a road accident involving a farrang

• Like 2

Actually as far as the person taking the video goes, I haven't seen anybody say for sure whether or not they could swim, but at the same time it doesn't seem that they were jumping around screaming at anyone for help.

It did appear that one person tries to swim out to them and save them, but it was too late. They may have been too tired once they swam that distance to be able to be of much help.

It is really too bad that these two young men drowned, my condolences to the families.

• Like 1

The excuse is weak and how do we even know if they are telling the truth about that anyway? Of course they have to come up with a story. Do you think most Thai people would accept their lame excuse?

Doesn't matter if others believe them. The fact is that a Thai in a tight corner as this sometimes feel obliged to make up a lie and say it to your face, however lame. Thus is face saved.....Thainess

The excuse is weak and how do we even know if they are telling the truth about that anyway? Of course they have to come up with a story. Do you think most Thai people would accept their lame excuse?

Doesn't matter if others believe them. The fact is that a Thai in a tight corner as this sometimes feel obliged to make up a lie and say it to your face, however lame. Thus is face saved.....Thainess

It doesn't have to be a tight corner, it seems to be a reflex

Thai Criminal Code....Book 3, Petty Offenses

Section 374: Whoever, to see the other person to be in the danger of life, which oneself may help so pwithout the danger to oneself or the other person, but oneself does not assist, shall be imprisoned not out of one month or fined not out of one thousand Baht, or both.

1,000 baht fine for those who ignored drowning teens

By Coconuts Bangkok

td_0.jpg?itok=UcR3zsEY

Despite the weight of public outrage, the law has limits.

BANGKOK: -- The person who filmed two teens drown Tuesday and the boat operators who ignored their cries for help face a maximum penalty of THB1,000 or one month in jail, according to police.

Bang Kho Laem district police are questioning all those involved in the incident, when someone captured the drowning deaths of Raya Puangsatorn, 13, and Sarin Sae-kwong, 20, in the Chao Phraya River as several boats went past without helping.

Everyone involved has offered some form of excuse.

Boat operators said they ignored them because it wasn’t the first time the boys had called for help, and in fact blamed several false alarms in which the boys had “faked” drowning, Channel 7 and TLC News reported.

"I didn't help them because they have tricked us many times,” an unidentified local boat operator told Channel 7. “When we came to rescue them, they laughed at us. See how things turned out when they were actually in danger?” [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/04/25/1000-baht-fine-those-who-ignored-drowning-teens

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-04-25

Life is so cheap here

Sent from my C1904 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The laws are probably from the 60's. I find it a bit strange that they've put actual absolute values of the fines into the print. Ought to be some kind of index, everything these days with a 0 added to the end at least.

What law, what's the criminal charge under the law?

I don't much blame the photographer - they'd have likely suffered the same fate had they dove into the water unassisted. The boats, however, should have stopped. Joking or not, those kids should have been snatched from the water and marched home to their parents by the police for a good [figurative] whooping.

Maybe you don't realize that there are thousends of people that swim or take a bath in that river every day.

Maybe you don't realize that there are thousends of people that swim or take a bath in that river every day.

Yes I didn't realize that - but it just goes to underscore my point that the society is backwards if swimming in a deadly river is considered a common activity. The fact that a lot of people do something doesn't mean it's not a stupid thing to do.

Edited by attrayant

The laws are probably from the 60's. I find it a bit strange that they've put actual absolute values of the fines into the print. Ought to be some kind of index, everything these days with a 0 added to the end at least.

What law, what's the criminal charge under the law?

This one: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721340-1000-baht-fine-for-those-who-ignored-drowning-teens-chao-phraya-river/page-2#entry7736199 ?

EDIT: it seems to be from 1956, so the 50's, not 60's.

Edited by DrTuner

If it's true what those operators say then why give a fine then?

Its politically correct. . . and if its true what they said about the boys crying wolf.

That's a bit of instant karma for you.

Ask yourself if they had fooled you like that before, what you would have done.. . .

Their feeble excuses of "they did it before as a prank" don't wash either . . . when someone is drowning you can see easily from the body language, the look in their eyes, and their tone of voice when it's serious or not . . . so that's just total <deleted> and face saving.

As your flying by at 45 MPH I'm sure you would look at facial expressions, and hear the tone of voice over the roar of the engine, Oh, you're a Farang, of course you would as Farang never ever walk on by when someone is in distress......blink.png

Farangs are heroes. cheesy.gif

Is this a pathetic approach to excuse what happened? If so, I hope you drown in your thainess and often praised high moral standards.

Well, I'd be glad to meet you to discuss it.

Do you know where Thailand is ?

Yes I didn't realize that - but it just goes to underscore my point that the society is backwards if swimming in a deadly river is considered a common activity. The fact that a lot of people do something doesn't mean it's not a stupid thing to do.

Hey, and to think, you chose to live here, crazy uh ?

Their feeble excuses of "they did it before as a prank" don't wash either . . . when someone is drowning you can see easily from the body language, the look in their eyes, and their tone of voice when it's serious or not . . . so that's just total <deleted> and face saving.

As your flying by at 45 MPH I'm sure you would look at facial expressions, and hear the tone of voice over the roar of the engine, Oh, you're a Farang, of course you would as Farang never ever walk on by when someone is in distress......blink.png

Farangs are heroes. cheesy.gif

They were less than 10m away from the kids, they could easily have seen and heard if they could be bothered.

Not sure ALL farang are heroes, but I can't recall an incidence in the West where children drowned and adults looked on and did nothing.

So you justify it however you want, to me it's ignorance, laziness, stupidity and a lack of morality or common human decency.

'' to me it's ignorance, laziness, stupidity and a lack of morality or common human decency.''

I had always wondered what 'Thainess' meant....