Exporters urge for new government

Lite Beer

Exporters urge for new government

1902914_217877661744292_1904372077_n-wpc

BANGKOK: -- Exporters of Europe-bound products are calling on all parties to help foster the creation of a new government swiftly before more General System of Preferences (GSP) benefits are lost as now they started to feel the impact of the cut.

Phot Aramwatthananon, president of Thai Frozen Foods Association (TFFA), said on Friday that Thai food and fisheries exports to Europe were feeling the effects of the GSP cuts.

This was especially true for prepared and preserved shrimp, which has faced an import tariff of 20% since January 1 due to the GSP cut.

The product category previously enjoyed a 7% import tariff to the European Union.

He asserted that negotiations for a Thai – European Union free trade agreement will be affected if the political situation remains unresolved and a new government can’t be established.

In that event, GSP benefits on 6,200 Thai products will be lost starting on January 1, 2015. Chilled and frozen shrimp will be the most affected product, as tariffs on them will increase to 12%, from 4.2%. Last year, Thailand exported more than 140,000 tons of chilled and frozen shrimps, worth 40 billion baht.

He said exporters pray for the political problem to end soon, because current trade negotiators cannot make decisions in the interim government’s name.

(photo : www.facebook.com/ThaiFrozenFoodsAssociation)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/exporters-urge-new-government/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=exporters-urge-new-government

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-26

A new Government is indeed needed after the fiasco of the last one.

However there does first need to be some basic changes to ensure the new Government is more honest and capable.

It never hurts to dream.

• Like 1

I shouldn't worry too much about the EU..

The legislation and trade deals are constantly changing anyway.

Also, once UK pulls out of the EU, it will likely collapse as others will follow suit.

Then you will be left to negotiate trade agreements with all the independent nation states.

The Thai shrimp gangsters are nervous, urging, and soon will be begging.

The shrimp gangsters are CP. CP is the size of a dinosaur, they can destroy Suthep and Thaksin in one step and make Kermit the Frog premier if they want.

They can simply buy all the parties, if they want. They don't need to beg.

This guy looks like a shrimp man....K. Phot...I wonder how many boats he has in his fleet!

You don't need boats. Shrimps are grown on waste and antibiotics in pools of destroyed land.

Also, once UK pulls out of the EU, it will likely collapse as others will follow suit.

Then you will be left to negotiate trade agreements with all the independent nation states.

im so hoping we leave the eu a disaster from the start ukip.for me..they should impose 320% tariffs like they do for cars here greedy buggers..see how it feels a little taste of your own medicine..

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

According to the EU Commission's economic report issued in February 2014, overall GDP projections for the EU in 2014 and 2015 will positive, exceeding 1%. The stalwarts of the EU economic engine are Britain, France, Germany, Spain and Italy in terms of size. If UK pulled out of the EU, the impact on EU growth would certainly have impact but certainly not result in the EU collapse. UK's withdarwal from the EU however, will more likely cause its own GDP growth rate to decrease because of its reliance on substantial exports to the EU that will no longer be entitled to exemptions from EU excise and import taxes. UK's best strategy for sustained GDP growth is with the EU.

• Like 1

The shrimp gangsters are CP. CP is the size of a dinosaur, they can destroy Suthep and Thaksin in one step and make Kermit the Frog premier if they want.

They have very skilfully played both sides. I genuinely smile when anyone says CP s a Thai company.

It's about as Thai as me.

They have very skilfully played both sides. I genuinely smile when anyone says CP s a Thai company.

Well it is as Thai as most of the large companies and as Thai as most of the Thai Prime Ministers......

Yes the sponsor both sides, they play both sides and both sides are afraid of them (and not only them). With parliament I guess they could walk in and take over government in 2 hours....

Well it is as Thai as most of the large companies and as Thai as most of the Thai Prime Ministers......

Yes the sponsor both sides, they play both sides and both sides are afraid of them (and not only them). With parliament I guess they could walk in and take over government in 2 hours....

They have just about every government in south east Asia shouting from the same song sheet, that western agribusiness is evil, but Asian agribusiness will protect the farmers and the country best.

Now if that isn't the best fib ever created.

• Like 1

This guy looks like a shrimp man....K. Phot...I wonder how many boats he has in his fleet!

You don't need boats. Shrimps are grown on waste and antibiotics in pools of destroyed land.

Correct. If I recall correctly they are just coming out of a situation that had a low production of shrimp due to poor conditions.

It is NOT only frozen shrimps, it is nearly everything.

For instance: canned fruits, like guava, longan, mango, lychee etc: from 3,8 % towards 11%

Coconut milk, from 8,9% towards 12,8 %

Rice vermicelli, from 2,9 % towards 6,4 %

Bamboo shoots from 12,8 towards 17,6 %

Canned drinks from 6,1 % towards 9,6%

Sauces from 4,2 % towards 7,7%

Remind: it is still of another level as the Thai import duties of 30 – 60 %. So, in case the EU would say: we treat you as you treat us… many Thai exporters, canneries and other food processors + farmers would have to close business

As usual, Thai government was too busy to look at the colour of t-shirst and forgot the interests of the country

see http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en&Taric=&QuotaAuthorities=false&EndPub=&MeasText=&Area=&callbackuri=CBU-0&Regulation=&LangDescr=&MeasType=&SimDate=20111231&StartPub=&GoodsText=&OrderNum=&ContextPath=&Level=&Expand=false

It is NOT only frozen shrimps, it is nearly everything.

For instance: canned fruits, like guava, longan, mango, lychee etc: from 3,8 % towards 11%

Coconut milk, from 8,9% towards 12,8 %

Rice vermicelli, from 2,9 % towards 6,4 %

Bamboo shoots from 12,8 towards 17,6 %

Canned drinks from 6,1 % towards 9,6%

Sauces from 4,2 % towards 7,7%

Remind: it is still of another level as the Thai import duties of 30 – 60 %. So, in case the EU would say: we treat you as you treat us… many Thai exporters, canneries and other food processors + farmers would have to close business

As usual, Thai government was too busy to look at the colour of t-shirst and forgot the interests of the country

see http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en&Taric=&QuotaAuthorities=false&EndPub=&MeasText=&Area=&callbackuri=CBU-0&Regulation=&LangDescr=&MeasType=&SimDate=20111231&StartPub=&GoodsText=&OrderNum=&ContextPath=&Level=&Expand=false

Well with some lobbyists in Brussel that should be easy to fix.

Correct. If I recall correctly they are just coming out of a situation that had a low production of shrimp due to poor conditions.

That is a technical complex thing.

Cultivate way to many shrimp in a small place. To prevent illness they put huge amounts of antibiotics which is very bad for environment. And you can't cheat nature forever. Lack of bacteria caused a nice development of viruses (you can't fight them with antibiotics). There many small shrimp farmer lost all their money and CP took them over. CP of course has other resources than Mr. Somchai.

And not all Thai shrimps are from Thailand.....A shrimp has no passport....

And if you think I exaggerate, I have a masterdegree in foodtechnology and worked in foodtechnology and usually things are worse than any old cynic would suspect.

Well with some lobbyists in Brussel that should be easy to fix.

ALL so-called SPGL countries = about all "third world" developping countries, also Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, China... lost their GSP preferences.

This is NOT a 10 minutes talk by a lobbyist in Brussels, but simple: The EU lacks money, so those 30 odd countries who got lower import duties, are now at the same level as all world. And Thai style negociations: a hand full on t-money... will not help here.

To give an idea for two products which hurt:

- pineapple: from 15,7 % towards 19,2 %.

- pineapple juice concentrate from 11,7 towards 15,2 %

Thailand, you want to negotiate a trade deal with the EU, and you think a new government will help ??

Actually, you're too small to survive on your own economically speaking, you should try to copy Europe. Basically, Thailand and it's neighbours should create a zone where there will be free trade, freedom of movement of goods AND labour. And then try to negotiate trade deals as a single big block.

But we all know, Thais look down on people from these neighbouring countries. Thais simply don't want to unify with their neighbours, and let such 'foreigners' to freely enter their country. And Thai business men would rather have the existing situation, where foreigners from neighbouring countries work as illegal immigrants in Thailand, and are paid next to nothing.
So, basically, we're not going to see Thailand doing a replica of the EU. :)