how quiet Pattaya was last night.

Asiantravel

I couldn't believe how quiet Pattaya was last night. I have never seen it that way on a Saturday night before and it was like where have all the tourists gone?

With the conflict in Ukraine appearing to get more serious I was wondering at what point will sanctions against Russia start affecting their economy enough to affect the ordinary man in the street so they will no longer be travelling to Pattaya in such numbers as before?

Any thoughts?

Sukhumvit was packed with cars from BKK you could hardly move in the afternoon.

I was talking about how many people where patronising businesses along second road and Beach Road. The massage shops were empty as were many restaurants and there were far fewer people walking about. As I said I have never seen it that quiet before on a Saturday night

Right now the US & EU sanctions only target 50 individuals (until a few days ago was 35) in Russia and one bank. Could be wrong, but doubt this would have a trickledown effect on general tourist numbers

I'm surprised anyone goes to Pattaya.

Low season has arrived in Phuket. It's very quiet...and miserably hot.

I'm sure many of us are equally surprised anyone goes to Phuket.

Low season has arrived in Pattaya, a little quieter now that most of the two week millionaires have buggered off, and delightfully warm with a cooling sea breeze to take the edge off.

Yeah, that caught me a little off-guard as well.....apparently Pinot doesn't understand Phuket is just Pattaya south these days.

Mantra restaurant (not cheap), was full both weekend nights for a British rock tribute.

Where's Jimmy Page?

Jimmy actually plays his guitar, this is a karaoke band and a well paid one at that

Edited by slygeeza

Phom-Nobody said a word about the doom of anything.

Correct, but the old grumpy "Pattaya Phom", and all the other moaners, just love to turn a thread negative.

Hey, total opposite, am always upbeat and positive about Pattaya...... Hence the comment, OP started a thread on how quite

The "quiet" pattaya is due to the extreme heat, and it is the beginning of the low tourist season but!!!!!!!!!!------keep your eye on the Russin ruble, the value of the currency is going down (due to sancitions) and this will effect the "average" (not affluent) Russian who will decide not to travel abroad. This could really hurt Pattaya-- the hotels, shops, tourist sites, ... you name it could see a decrease in sales (including the Seven-Elevens where they buy the large bottles of beer).

The "quiet" pattaya is due to the extreme heat, and it is the beginning of the low tourist season but!!!!!!!!!!------keep your eye on the Russin ruble, the value of the currency is going down (due to sancitions) and this will effect the "average" (not affluent) Russian who will decide not to travel abroad. This could really hurt Pattaya-- the hotels, shops, tourist sites, ... you name it could see a decrease in sales (including the Seven-Elevens where they buy the large bottles of beer).

It may hurt Pattaya but personally I would welcome a weak ruble.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It has nothing to do with the heat or the ruble...

The tourists all leave shortly after Song Kran...Hopefully it will remain quiet until next December.

Folks in BKK started buying condos & houses here en mass after the floods hit BKK in 2011. They will pack Pattaya on Friday afternoon until Sunday night from now on...count on it.

Edited by Tagaa

yes this article seems to support your view

Russian rouble crash spells trouble

Average Russian tourists on package holidays will feel the financial pressure and will either postpone vacation plans this year, or spend less if they are already booked to travel.

Cities like London are unlikely to sustain much negative fallout but destinations such as Hainan (in China), Turkey and Thailand – essentially group package destinations served by charters – will be hit.”

http://www.trbusiness.com/index.php/regional/europe/14811-crashing-rouble-spells-trouble-for-tourism.html

Edited by Asiantravel

How was Pattaya last weekend then?

I was on the way back from Suvarnabhumi last Monday afternoon and the total traffic gridlock, main lanes and feeder on the northbound side of Highway 7 tells me they must have come from somewhere sinful.