What is (IYHO), the single, most unwelcome change in Phuket over the years?

simon43

Increased sex tourism from Australia, the United Kingdom and the rest of the world. The tourists have spoiled Phuket and Pattaya and a number of once pristine islands. A lot of these tourists have not come to experience Thailand. They would be as satisfied laying on a beach in England or Australia. What many of them have come for i to watch each other reach new heights in being obnoxious or rude. The rest came because it was bad weather in their country and they can tell their friends that they have been to Thailand but in reality they haven't been to Thailand at all. They have been to a beach in Thailand overpopulated by a sometimes rude and generally unthinking mass of human flesh. I know I have occasionally been there for a day or two and it sickens me that i have been so close to being average.

well Greg I'm not sure but never heard of a top 10 beach in England, but Australia yes. To each there own Phuket has grown 10 fold in 5 years and will only get worse. As for sex tourism its gotten pushed out of some areas like Kata beach, remember 2 years ago beer bar central. IMHO

Sent from my A200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one common factor on this thread, which shines on pretty much every answer.

Our little island is infected with people who are not content with themselves. The people who don't really know who they are and what they want. Something very typical for teenagers.

Unfortunately here people don't tend to grow up. This selfish behavior carries out to older ages and that's the behavior we see on the streets today. There was none to teach the young ones how to be a good person as their parents were too busy to make a bit more money.

This is the world which is run by accountants. That is the saddest thing which has happened to this island.

There is one common factor on this thread, which shines on pretty much every answer.

Our little island is infected with people who are not content with themselves. The people who don't really know who they are and what they want. Something very typical for teenagers.

Unfortunately here people don't tend to grow up. This selfish behavior carries out to older ages and that's the behavior we see on the streets today. There was none to teach the young ones how to be a good person as their parents were too busy to make a bit more money.

This is the world which is run by accountants. That is the saddest thing which has happened to this island.

kids on islands never work out well, i've lived on 2 before i came here, Alderney of the coast of France and Ko Phangan, and i see it in both, kids get bored and crazy on small islands and turn to drink, drugs and crime. but Phuket isn't much of an island really, its a lot less isolated than many mainland villages.

I fly over the Phang Nga Bay and Phuket Island area 4-5 times every week in private aircraft, the floating and piled up trash growing in so many different locations (land & sea) out of site from the traffic snarled roads is a problem exploding in size. once these trash piles start being seen the true condition of Phuket's trash dilemma will become exposed...

• Like 2

First I'd like to express that I'm happy to live 1,570 km away from it. That leads me to my biggest concern, the foreigners, also called quality tourists.

I don't want to learn Russian, nor do I want to get killed by a stray bullet. I don't want that East European gangs empty my bank account and i can't go to Pussy XX bar anymore.

That leads me directly to my speech.

Quite a few ex- TVF members had shown that their perspective of law abiding citizens doesn't exist.

The one who had his wife killed then lived with the rests for a few years, the ice cream dealing farang without a work permit, who was a tourist police volunteer, who hanged many other innocent foreigners, who only wanted to have some recreational drugs..

Nor the Tattoo Mafia, ran by foreigners, with the license to kill and get their members out through bail. I could go on, but my time's limited, as the real watches they sell down there.

The sexually assaulted girl ,threatened by a exhibitionist, when the coppers looked for him, it turned out that so many in front of bars, sitting in their cars were caught masturbating.But the real "Chako Wao" guy was never found. Oh, sorry, they were Thai.

Finally,thank Buddha that this won't be similar here where I'm now in my lifetime. I truly believe there should be a high speed train.-coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

A lot of members here complaining about Phuket and I can understand this as it is one of the worst places in Thailand- aggressive thai's and aggressive drivers. But why dont you move?? Have you ever thought about getting on a plane and going to Indonesia for example? Its got everything Thailand has but many more beach options with far less people and crime

A lot of members here complaining about Phuket and I can understand this as it is one of the worst places in Thailand- aggressive thai's and aggressive drivers. But why dont you move?? Have you ever thought about getting on a plane and going to Indonesia for example? Its got everything Thailand has but many more beach options with far less people and crime

I think it is the best place in Thailand, which is why I live here.

But a question 'what is the worst thing' will always lead to negative comments, same everywhere.

A thread about the best Phuket improvements IYHO over the last 10 years would have been better

That would be a short thread.

Really, what positive and lasting change has happened here in the last 10 years????

Yes, would be short because people like to complain. Also, positive things are adopted very quickly and integrated in our daily life without thinking about it, negative things people like to moan about.

A thread about the best Phuket improvements IYHO over the last 10 years would have been better

That would be a short thread.

Really, what positive and lasting change has happened here in the last 10 years????

Yes, would be short because people like to complain. Also, positive things are adopted very quickly and integrated in our daily life without thinking about it, negative things people like to moan about.

Well, when negative changes keep happening, which they do here, I guess it will constantly draw complaints.

Feel free to name a few positive and and lasting changes, for tourists, expats and locals, on Phuket, in recent years.

Rather than "positive things are adopted very quickly and integrated" - I have seen a declining western market here, which shows, they clearly do not see the positive "integration into daily life" here that you speak of and are now holidaying somehere else.

The only positive change I can think of on phuket is to certain influential people's bank accounts. smile.png

I'm not talking about an "attitude" or a "view on life" - I'm talking about real beneficial change for tourists, and the wider Phuket community.

Edited by NamKangMan

Positive things?

More destinations you can fly to direct from Phuket.

The increasing choice of foods, consumer goods and services available in Phuket.

Those two are huge in themselves.

For the small motorbike rider, like myself; the lowering of the average speed of four-wheeled vehicles due to traffic jams (selfish, but true).

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

Positive things?

The increasing choice of foods, consumer goods and services available in Phuket.

For the small motorbike rider, like myself; the lowering of the average speed of four-wheeled vehicles due to traffic jams (selfish, but true).

"More destinations you can fly to direct from Phuket." - that's true, but many of these airlines are overseas companies. Sure, they have been allowed to fly into Phuket Airport, but it was hardly the Phuket authories doing.

"The increasing choice of foods, consumer goods and services available in Phuket." - also true, but once again, private businesses trying to turn a profit. Phuket authories do not govern what they stock and sell, the company does.

"the lowering of the average speed of four-wheeled vehicles due to traffic jams" - many have posted this is a negative. I agree, for a motorbike rider, slow moving traffic makes it safer, but I would hardly see increasing traffic jams as a positive, like most others on this thread.

What "positive change" has been implemented on Phuket for the benefit of tourists, expats and locals, in recent years?

From the Governor of Phuket, down to the Village Chief - what positve changes have they made to Phuket in recent years?

Edited by NamKangMan

I ride scooter in Phuket and for me the traffic has been getting far worse compared what it used to be.

While traffic jams sometimes slow down the traffic, cars are now driving far faster when they get their chances. There is a lot of crazy moves on the roads.

Riding scooter is far less fun what it used to be.

You only asked for instances of better things. Frankly, I don't care who supplies it.

Fair call, but there's not much point companies offering better services, or a bigger variety of products, if all around the operation of these companies is a disaster.

For example, there are more services flying into Phuket Airport - but look at the problems getting to and from the airport.

A shop offering many western products - but no parking nearby.

Slower moving traffic, due to traffic jams, creating road rage and incidents of violence.

Phuket advertises itself as a "World Class Tourist Destination" but the leadership and associated Governments departments have done nothing in recent years to justify Phuket being called "World Class" or to even advance Phuket in the global tourism market.

In fact, they have presided over Phuket slipping behind it's competitors.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Positive things?

So true.

As NKM says, the various government departments, governors etc etc, have done NOTHING to improve Phuket for tourists, save for hairbrained, pocket-filling projects such as the nice Patong sign...

Actually, can anyone name a single project that they have implemented that has benefitted the community, and has not simply been an excuse to pocket money??

Opening of Phuket Airpark, Opening of Central festival, Fast reliable internet, Opening of various beach clubs, West Sands water park, Opening of the bypass road, Various International schools, Introduction of various new shows such as Niramit etc...lots of positives in 10 years.

As NKM says, the various government departments, governors etc etc, have done NOTHING to improve Phuket for tourists, save for hairbrained, pocket-filling projects such as the nice Patong sign...

Actually, can anyone name a single project that they have implemented that has benefitted the community, and has not simply been an excuse to pocket money??

Airport expansion

Opening of Phuket Airpark, Opening of Central festival, Fast reliable internet, Opening of various beach clubs, West Sands water park, Opening of the bypass road, Various International schools, Introduction of various new shows such as Niramit etc...lots of positives in 10 years.

All private enterprises, except for the bypass road, which was probably funded by Bangkok, with a lot of the funds raided by Phuket officials.

Airport expansion

Phuket Airport is operated by Airports of Thailand Public Company Ltd. Based out of Don Muang - Bangkok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airports_of_Thailand

Free rabies vaccinations for pets is about all i can think of at the moment.

If that's true and correct, and implemented and funded locally, I will accept that as a positive change.

It's one small step for mankind - one giant leap for Phuket. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Not just to benefit the tourists, I'll even go wider and say expats and locals.

Yes, the Patong Sign is one thing, but of no tangible benefit to anyone.

I've actually been asking this question for some months - the best answer, in fact, the only answer to date, has been free rabies shots for dogs. smile.png

It's not Phuket bashing - is an open question to the forum.

Name one positive project, or policy, that the administration on Phuket, from Governor to Village Chief, have done for the benefit of tourist, expats and locals here?

Edited by NamKangMan

All private enterprises, except for the bypass road, which was probably funded by Bangkok, with a lot of the funds raided by Phuket officials.

Who cares who funded them....the topic was about improvements or un-improvements to Phuket IYHO over the last 10 years. No mention of government at all.