Will I get into trouble for having a one-way ticket?

If you don't have a visa and are going to rely on a 30 day "visa exempt" entry, the airline that you are using might not let you board the flight without a ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days. As JT said, more info required.

Theoretically if the airline permits you to fly without making sure that you fulfill immigration regulations, they are liable to a substantial fine and must pay your ticket back home. I never heard of this happening. You need proof of an onward flight (not return) so if the airline gets difficult you take your credit card and book yourself a flight to Phnom Pen or somewhere similar. Get there early...

• Like 1

I live here permanently (I obtain an extension annually to a non-Immigrant O visa, based on retirement). I never have an onward ticket out of Thailand when returning from a holiday and have never had a problem though I have had to show the check-in staff the re-entry permit in my passport on a few occasions.

Therefore, with a tourist visa, the OP should be fine.

Alan

I flew KLM from AMS to BKK on a tourist visa with a return flight booked past 30 days from departure and I had to tell the check in agent that I was leaving and reentering Thailand before the 30 day visa was up.

I'm not sure if they would have refused me if I didn't but they were definitely interested in if I was going to be staying more than 30 days in a row. I usually get preferential treatment when I fly so they may have cut me some slack. I'd reccomend having something with you to show you are leaving within the 30 days, flight reservations, hotel booking in another country etc.

Leaving Narita on KLM to BKK on a return leg I had to show my visa during check-in. Again, I'm not sure what they would have done if I didn't have one but why would they ask if they didn't care?

Theoretically if the airline permits you to fly without making sure that you fulfill immigration regulations, they are liable to a substantial fine and must pay your ticket back home. I never heard of this happening. You need proof of an onward flight (not return) so if the airline gets difficult you take your credit card and book yourself a flight to Phnom Pen or somewhere similar. Get there early...

I came to thailand with a one way ticket ....without a visa ...I flew that time with Qatar ...they (the airline) looked at me funny at the airport.. so I told them the story that I will be flying woth a different airline ... Once I conducted my business in thailand ... The issued me with a dummy return flight just to cover the possibility that thai I migration wants to check... on the flight to Bangkok I sat next to a stewardess who was of duty working for Qatar. ..she took me through the airport exit reserved for thais and their spouses ... noone asked for.my return ticket ...noone asked if we where married... and it saved me at least 1 hour standing in a queue :-)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was refused check in on a Gulf Air flight from London to Bangkok, because I didn't have a return flight.

I had to frantically call the company hiring me, and get them to buy & email me a return ticket so I could board the plane. But this was a last minute hiring and I didn't have time to get a visa pre-flight.

Some airlines, mostly out of Australia, will ask for a return ticket and if you do not have one, you could be refused. The reason they have stated this is that they are fined US$5000 if they allow a passenger on board without an outbound ticket. best to mitigate the risks and buy a flexible date ticket for the return.

I flew KLM from AMS to BKK on a tourist visa with a return flight booked past 30 days from departure and I had to tell the check in agent that I was leaving and reentering Thailand before the 30 day visa was up.

I'm not sure if they would have refused me if I didn't but they were definitely interested in if I was going to be staying more than 30 daytha in a row. I usually get preferential treatment when I fly so they may have cut me some slack. I'd reccomend having something with you to show you are leaving within the 30 days, flight reservations, hotel booking in another country etc.

Leaving Narita on KLM to BKK on a return leg I had to show my visa during check-in. Again, I'm not sure what they would have done if I didn't have one but why would they ask if they didn't care?

Confusing. Tourist Visas are good for 60d, not 30d. (And there's an option for a 30d extension to the 60d for a total of a possible 90d on a single entry.)

Anyway, wrt the original question, it's really down to the airline and perhaps even the employee checking you in. An oversight on my part, but I showed up with a RT eticket with a return more than 30d out (and no visa). The girl caught it and politely questioned me about it. I told her I was planning a side-trip to Laos by land before the 30d limit, and then re-entering Thailand for my return. She was ok with that. No fuss, no muss. Being one of their frequent flyers might've helped.

I certainly can't guarantee that'll always work though.

Edited by hawker9000

Never had a problem in 32 years of flying into and out of Thailand. I have made hundreds of trips. It is impractical to buy a return ticket when you want to stay for an indefinite period and then take an onward trip. I do know that Airlines do give problems to some people as they are indeed financially responsible to return any passenger refused entry at the destination.

Sorry, from the Netherlands, with a tourist visa

Travelling from Schipol, with a one way ticket or the return half of a two way ticket will be refused by airline staff on check in.

Especially Schipol !

We used to buy our tickets in Thailand because they were much cheaper but for some years now we cannot do this.

I am told there is a way around it by confirming your seat online and printing a Boarding Pass.

If you have a resident's permit, proof of residence with full documentation in your passport to show that you are legally resident in Thailand - then you can use a 1 way ticket.

Tourist visa? Not a chance.

If you are part of a Tour Group by a well known company (Neckermans, Thomas Cook etc) and it shows pre-booked overland travel or you are joining a Cruise - this might help.

If you say you have a credit card and will purchase a ticket in Thailand or neighbouring country - they will refuse you.

Bottom line - check it out with the airline BEFORE your date of travel. Remember too that tickets purchased at the airport cost about double.

Edited by stoffel45

99% airlines will not let you on the plane going to a country that needs a visa. You do not need a return ticket just another ticket with a flight to any other country. But the thing is I have never been asked at Bangkok airport for my return ticket for them to look at.

The Thai immigration at the airport newer once asked me

to show documentation for buying a return ticket when I earlier visit Thailand on Tourist visa's,

I would not worry except that normally a return ticket is cheaper than 2 single tickets.
(If you intend to go to Thailand and later return home to your origin :-)

When I derided to stay and live in Thailand, I applied for a NON-O visa at the Thai embassy in my home country.

They required a booking of a return tickets, before they give me a NON-O visa.

(So I picked the cheapest return ticket possible, and throw it away when it expired :-)

wai.gif

I think it's different for different citizenships. For U.S. passport holders I thought the VOA was only 30 days, that's what I've always been given. A friend with a Dutch and Canadian passport came here and got a 60 day visa. Not sure which passport she used though.

I'm not sure if they would have refused me if I didn't but they were definitely interested in if I was going to be staying more than 30 daytha in a row. I usually get preferential treatment when I fly so they may have cut me some slack. I'd reccomend having something with you to show you are leaving within the 30 days, flight reservations, hotel booking in another country etc.

Confusing. Tourist Visas are good for 60d, not 30d. (And there's an option for a 30d extension to the 60d for a total of a possible 90d on a single entry.)

Anyway, wrt the original question, it's really down to the airline and perhaps even the employee checking you in. An oversight on my part, but I showed up with a RT eticket with a return more than 30d out (and no visa). The girl caught it and politely questioned me about it. I told her I was planning a side-trip to Laos by land before the 30d limit, and then re-entering Thailand for my return. She was ok with that. No fuss, no muss. Being one of their frequent flyers might've helped.

I certainly can't guarantee that'll always work though.

I think it's different for different citizenships. For U.S. passport holders I thought the VOA was only 30 days, that's what I've always been given. A friend with a Dutch and Canadian passport came here and got a 60 day visa. Not sure which passport she used though.

They are visa exempt entries not a VOA. The person that got the 60 days had a tourist visa from an embassy or consulate.

For those on normal visa exempt entries all get 30 days by air or 15 days by land unless they are from a G7 country who get 30 days by land.

There are some that get entries based upon a bilateral agreement that get 14. 30, or 90 days by air or land. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15383-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-Agreements.html

Sorry, from the Netherlands, with a tourist visa

Travelling from Schipol, with a one way ticket or the return half of a two way ticket will be refused by airline staff on check in.

Especially Schipol !

We used to buy our tickets in Thailand because they were much cheaper but for some years now we cannot do this.

I am told there is a way around it by confirming your seat online and printing a Boarding Pass.

If you have a resident's permit, proof of residence with full documentation in your passport to show that you are legally resident in Thailand - then you can use a 1 way ticket.

Tourist visa? Not a chance.

If you are part of a Tour Group by a well known company (Neckermans, Thomas Cook etc) and it shows pre-booked overland travel or you are joining a Cruise - this might help.

If you say you have a credit card and will purchase a ticket in Thailand or neighbouring country - they will refuse you.

Bottom line - check it out with the airline BEFORE your date of travel. Remember too that tickets purchased at the airport cost about double.

Another option is to buy a fully refundable ( without penalty) ticket. It'll be much more expensive, but you'll be cancelling it anyway.

Tell them you live in Bangkok and that you are going home. It worked for me...because it was true but no one asked me to prove it.

And if they then asked to see a retirement extension, work permit or whatever, and a recent exit stamp, to validate you have permission to live in Thailand, you are at a possible dead end and a confirmed liar.

I wouldn't recommend that.