Made a milestone yesterday

N47HAN

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One big one near takuapa kohlak , (lost traction on a slippery road after light rain) and 3 or 4 minor ones that didnt cause any damage except for a scratch or two.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN

I must be pretty close as I bought my first car in Thailand about 16 years ago (a drunken expat crashed into it on his m/c in the first week. I had to take him to hospital as he gouged his arm but he immediately accepted responsibility stating he was thinking about his next Mekhong at the next bar he was going to.) but most of my driving has been around Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi, apart from one driving foray up country & another to Bangkok. Have had 4 other minor accidents, with no injuries, one of which was my fault for cutting back in too soon after overtaking. In the other accidents 2 of the Thais accepted responsibility, one did not but was soon sorted out by the insurance guy.

Not even close to your numbers, but my Honda Wave is going to get 60.000km to the meter in the couple of next days. Mostly in Phuket.

approx. avarage 390kms a day driving...congrats, you really love it.

as for me, while i enjoy driving, i wont like to spend all that time in my car everyday.

You're right, that is a lot of driving around the island every day.

Do you run a visa run company?

Lol ,

But i wish i could get a member discount card for any of the gas stations :-)

that's a lot of candles on your cake. you must know every pot hole between surat and bkk.

i have probably accumulated about 250,000km by car and 100,000km by bike since moving here so you've got me beat by miles. personally, i would be happy never to have to go further than villa market and rawai beach ever again.

• Like 1

Do you run a visa run company?

Lol ,

But i wish i could get a member discount card for any of the gas stations :-)

my friend has a vios, he converted it to LPG for about 35,000, now it costs him about 400 baht from cha-am to phuket

as for me, while i enjoy driving, i wont like to spend all that time in my car everyday.

Thats the average if you drive 7 days a week

Just checked my trip meter and since my last fuel top up i averaged 33 KPH driving around Phuket and keeping up with the traffic flow

Means i would have to drive approx 12 hours a day everyday while in Phuket to do 1M klm in 7 years

Last time i did a speed check Phuket/Cha am i averaged 81 KPH keeping up with the traffic driving between 90and 125 KPH

The OP must live in his car

• Like 1

i was drive back from Issan a couple of weeks ago. I can't stand waiting for red lights, so if i miss the green, i usually turn left, U turn ASAP, then left again back onto the main road. so on highway 21 near Saraburi, i got pulled over by the police just a couple of hundred meters past the lights. i guess a cop saw me and radioed his mate.

anyhow, i explained i had a long way to drive that day, all the way to Phuket, and didn't feel like waiting for the light to change. so he said, no problem and let me go, no fine or anything.

Just checked my trip meter and since my last fuel top up i averaged 33 KPH driving around Phuket and keeping up with the traffic flow

Means i would have to drive approx 12 hours a day everyday while in Phuket to do 1M klm in 7 years

Last time i did a speed check Phuket/Cha am i averaged 81 KPH keeping up with the traffic driving between 90and 125 KPH

To say nothing of spending around 100.000 baht a month on petrol.

Nathan, I have to question your figures. I have been riding m/bikes and driving cars for 25 years inThailand. For me to achieve 1,000,000km, it would require about 110km of travel every single day of those 25 years. Not possible when you factor in days when you don't go anywhere, only short trips to the shop, holidays, etc.

• Like 2

Nathan, I have to question your figures. I have been riding m/bikes and driving cars for 25 years inThailand. For me to achieve 1,000,000km, it would require about 110km of travel every single day of those 25 years. Not possible when you factor in days when you don't go anywhere, only short trips to the shop, holidays, etc.

I think it is possible, Wit. I'll try to simplify the calculations:

If he made MANY trips to Pattaya, for instance. A roundtrip is already more then 1000km.

So IF he made 1000 trips to Pattaya in 7 years the million can easily be reached.

Very plausible..whistling.gif

• Like 1

I think it is possible, Wit. I'll try to simplify the calculations:

If he made MANY trips to Pattaya, for instance. A roundtrip is already more then 1000km.

So IF he made 1000 trips to Pattaya in 7 years the million can easily be reached.

Very plausible..whistling.gif

That's almost three trips a week, driving 500 kms each day/6 days, and a lot of it wouldn't be 100 kms/hr driving.

In perspective, at 50 kms/hr, something that is probably unachievable as an average in Thailand (in my opinion, if I average only 47 kms/hr here in Australia, mainly freeway/open road), 60 hours a week is almost 9 hours a day, seven days a week, or 12 hours a day five days a week. Drop that to 40 kms/hr average, and it becomes 14+ hours a day for 5 days, or just under 11 hours a day 7 days a week??

That's a lot of time sitting in a car!!

I think you've made a mistake.

Edited by F4UCorsair

My average over the last 8000km is 28kph...all Phuket driving

To clarify guys , the million im afraid is correct . Years maybe 8 or 9 need to check when i brought the first motor.

Its easily done though ,

• Like 1

For arguments sake, let's say a trip to Pattaya(or back) is possible in a day in roughly 10-12 hours (600km averaging 40-60 km/h)

1000000 / 600 is 1666, 1 way 10 hour drives.

7 years counts 2555 days

2555-1666 = 889 days of not driving!

Very plausible! I'm with Nathan on this.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

WitawatWatawit, on 08 May 2014 - 09:31, said:

Yeah, I find the story a little too hard to believe.

I've done about 130,000 in my current car, maybe 30,000 on rentals prior.

In that time I

- had countless scratches (usually motorbikes trying to squeeze past in traffic) and taxi paint residue (same situation)

- came off the road once (truck swinging into the right lane), I was forced off resulting in a blown tyre - truck didn't stop of course and my jack was useless so I had to call for a friend to bring a new jack

- got three dents (one caused by a slower idiot trying to pass me as he caught up when I slowed for the lights - he failed and hit into the side of my car - he did a runner; one when I reversed into a small concrete post in a small soi opposite the Treasury department; and the last was the rear being crushed in when it was rammed by a truck [a friend was driving at the time])