What visa options for single person?

Hi, what are the best options for someone who is 42 yrs old from UK, single and wanting to stay here long term, like retirement.

He has been here several years already with NON o marriage visa but has recently divorced.

He works online and all money comes from overseas.

He is looking at getting married again just for the sake of the NON o visa or doing the education visa, but would rather not do either.

What would be the correct law abiding way for him to stay here long term?

Regards

Edited by mcfester

Does he have any children from the marriage? Visas and extension of stay are possible based upon that.

Setting up a company and making his work legitimate by getting a work permit is an option.

If you want to stay long Get an Education Visa good for a year at a time with learning Thai and 90 day reporting

Runs about 20,000 for the course and visa accommodation together. I did it for 2 years till I converted to a retirment visa but you are a bit young for

the retirement visa

Could work as a volunteer.

Volunteering in Thailand Visa Requirements

Thailand visa requirements for working as a volunteer are very simple really because in order to work as a volunteer in Thailand you require a Non-Immigrant O visa and a work permit.Evidence required to obtain Non-Immigrant O visa for Volunteering in Thailand

Your local Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate will require evidence to support your application here is what the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull UK requires before it will issue a Non-Immigrant O visa(single entry) for the purpose of volunteering:

Volunteer Work with NGO or Charity Organisation (not with Private Organisations). Evidence required:

a) Sponsor Letter from volunteer/charity organisation which must be registered in Thailand.

Only a single entry visa can be granted in these circumstances. Applicant will need to arrange Extension of Stay as necessary. Please check with volunteer/charity organisation for what extra documentation may be required by Thai Immigration to extend stay.

Get a work permit and extensions of stay for the reason of employment.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is there a thread explaining this in more detail?

Do you need an employer before you can apply for a work permit?

Extensions of stay? Do you have to leave the country every 90 days?

All of these solutions seem not legitimate.

Setting up a company, he works online and paid from abroad, is it legal to set up a company solely for obtaining a work permit?

Education visa, again it will be obtaining a visa solely for staying here, not for learning Thai, I thought they was clamping down on this abuse of the ed visas?

Is there no legitimate visa for people who don't work and not wishing to marry?

I read a few years ago people where obtaining non o visas from Perth for reasons of visiting friends, is this still possible?

You need to be working for a registered company or business to get a work permit.

Whether you need to get a visa and make border runs every 90 days would depend upon the company for business. It it is qualified and your salary was high enough you could get a one year extension of stay.

Edit: I he was working with a foreign owned company and could get some documents he might be able to get a multiple entry non-b visa.

Non-o visas are no longer being issued to visit friends.

You need to be working for a registered company or business to get a work permit.

Whether you need to get a visa and make border runs every 90 days would depend upon the company for business. It it is qualified and your salary was high enough you could get a one year extension of stay.

Edit: I he was working with a foreign owned company and could get some documents he might be able to get a multiple entry non-b visa.

Non-o visas are no longer being issued to visit friends.

So lets say for example his Thai friend owns a language school and its a registered business, and they will say he is working there as a teacher on an average teachers salary, even though he wouldn't be working there.

Does he need to get a visa for this or just get a work permit with the non o he has now, and from where? And does he do 90 day checks at immigration office or 90 day border runs?

I thought he was wanting a visa or extension of stay not just a work permit.

The school would have to deduct taxes and pay social security along with pay the salary.

If he has a valid multiple entry non-o based upon marriage he could get the work permit. If he was on an extension of stay based upon marriage when he got divorced he lost it then.

I thought he was wanting a visa or extension of stay not just a work permit.

The school would have to deduct taxes and pay social security along with pay the salary.

If he has a valid multiple entry non-o based upon marriage he could get the work permit. If he was on an extension of stay based upon marriage when he got divorced he lost it then.

He is open to any solution.

Currently multi non o just expired and on last 90 days.

If he gets a work permit, whats the minimum tax and social the school would need to pay, and then still have to border run every 90 days?

Seems like the easiest is an ED visa or pay a Thai to get married just for the papers.

No wonder the system gets abused when they make it impossible to stay here legitimately, for example:

Forty year old farang, got loads of money, doesn't need/want to work, doesn't need/want a business, already fluent in Thai, seriously what can these people do to stay here for a few years?

All of these solutions seem not legitimate.

Setting up a company, he works online and paid from abroad, is it legal to set up a company solely for obtaining a work permit?

If he works here.. Legally he needs a work permit..

He can work with an umbrella company.. He can form his own company.. But whichever route he chooses a work permit is legally required.