The New Visa Enforcements

N47HAN

So have they affected any of our regular posters that reside here , what if any plans have you made so far to fall in line with the current situation .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt you'll get many people admitting it here. I've a non-B and WP but it is posing a problem for the Filipino gf. She has ordered a new passport which should be in any day. We will try for a probably go ED visa for her until she can find work that offers support for Non-B.

Edited by NomadJoe

Anyone with some sort of one year extension (retired/married to Thai/business) should not be effected, as for the ED visa and extensions I expect this will become more difficult (more scrutiny/checks). No doubt this might become a problem for those on perpetual tourist visa, depends how Immigration might treat perpetual flights back into Thailand. All the border crossers every month best dream up a new plan right away.

It would make sense that multiple tourist visas would be on the list too. Equates to the same as multiple voa's i guess.

Maybe walen is one of the few that will benefit from the status quo now.

Interesting month or two ahead to see how this really pans out

Edited by N47HAN

^I take it you are 'pinging' Iceman and not referring to Ping (I'm on a retirement visa)...

Correct, pinging NKM as a self confessed tourist visa long term stay resident.

For the moment there have been no announcements for visa changes, only visa exempt entries.

Will visa be affected, in the future I think probably yes, but for the moment NKM has nothing to worry about.

It would make sense that multiple tourist visas would be on the list too. Equates to the same as multiple voa's i guess.

From looking though the Visa Forum, the problem for folks applying for 'perpetual' tourists visa is that the Thai embassy/consulate will be asking a lot more questions about why the applicant is always in Thailand. Recently multiple tourist visas are hard to be granted. For now Vientiane seems to be the only place in Asia to be granting a double entry tourist visa.

The ED visa companies here in Phuket are under very close scrutiny, tough row to hoe for them.

Yes it will be interesting. Many think that this is just a short term purge and everything will go back to the relaxed normal. I have no idea.

For years I've been coming in with the 30 day visa exempt stamp. Many times, if I have to wait longer than 30 days for a new job, I would fly to Singapore and come back on the same day.

When they changed Ranong to a 30 day stamp from a 15 day stamp, I did the road-trip.

I have been meaning to go the retirement visa route for a few years now. but, was just too lazy.

Last March, I had to do a visa run as I had already stayed 30 days. Decided to go to Penang mainly for the Indian food and thought I'd get a three month Non-Imm visa that I could eventually extend for the reason of retirement.

At the consulate they asked me if I wanted a one year, multiple entry Non-Imm instead of only three months. Of course, I said yes.

So, next year, I'll get the retirement extension and the re-entry permit.

Very lucky and thankful that I did this before all this news came out as the embassies that are close are going to be swamped with visa applicants and inevitably, they will tighten up the requirements.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

From looking though the Visa Forum, the problem for folks applying for 'perpetual' tourists visa is that the Thai embassy/consulate will be asking a lot more questions about why the applicant is always in Thailand. Recently multiple tourist visas are hard to be granted. For now Vientiane seems to be the only place in Asia to be granting a double entry tourist visa.

The ED visa companies here in Phuket are under very close scrutiny, tough row to hoe for them.

Yes it will be interesting. Many think that this is just a short term purge and everything will go back to the relaxed normal. I have no idea.

I don't think it will go back to 'normal' shortly. They siply want to get rid of many illegal workers and this seems the easiest way.

But I think we're getting off topic here for the Phuket people, there are other topics for the general discussion.

I hope genuine tourists will not be inconvenienced. It is a very normal situation young backpackers come in on a 30 days airport visa free entry stamp, and decide to extend their holiday later on. They should not be hassled about confirmed hotel bookings, travel plans and so on. Flipping briefly through their passports should make clear immediately they are Germany, France or wherever based, and certainly not residing in Thailand permanently. I am eagerly awaiting field reports from Ranong.

• Like 1

So has anyone actually have any report from Ranong at all ?

Any issues ?

Second-hand info but I spoke to someone who went on Monday and he said it was no problem. 12 people on the bus and all got through easily, including one American guy who was a perpetual visa runner with many stamps in his passport, who was apparently convinced he'd be refused.

It's after August 12th that we'll really find out what's going on.

Ping! NKM, what do you think since you openly admit to having tourist visas?

Firstly, as most know, I am under 50, self funded, single and do not have a Thai child. There is no proper long term visa for me. It simply doesn't exist.

I'm a dual national, so I have two passports.

I always come in on a 60 tourist visa and I always mix up the Thai Embassies where I get them from.

So, one 60 day visa in the first passport from say, Phnom Penh - Cambodia.

Next 60 day visa in the second passport from say Ho Chi Minh City - Vietnam.

Then back to the first passport for another 60 day tourist visa from say Penang.

I just keep doing this rotation and I don't mind the change of scenery and food in the different cities I visa run to. I have friends in all of these places,so a catching up with them is good as well.

I always pay the 1900 baht for the 1 month extension, so I only do this every 90 days.

To date, I haven't had any problems.

If they are seriously going to enforce this, yes, they will also have to stop back to back tourist visas from the various Embassies.

Originally, all I thought this was about was getting everyone's 1000 baht for a 60 day tourist visa, instead of them getting a free 30 day stamp. Somehow I really doubt it's all about criminality and illegal workers, as these people would just overstay anyway and are probably already paying off authorities.

If I am caught up in this, I really couldn't be bothered setting up a sham Thai Company that employs me blah blah blah. I will not overstay, and I'm not interested in an ED visa for learning Thai. So, I guess that means I'm leaving Thailand for a portion of the year.

If this is seriously enforced, you would hope they inform the public just how many back to back 60 day visas you are allowed. For those with one passport, if they say two back to back 60 day visas are allowed, I guess they should start looking at spending 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in a neighbouring country, each year.

Personally, I think it will all go back to business as usual. Just too much tea money involved at the base level, and Thailand would stand to lose a lot of money from their economy, especially in the tourist areas, if they seriously enforced this.

"the Thai embassy/consulate will be asking a lot more questions about why the applicant is always in Thailand." - I can meet all the criteria you guys have to meet, except being 50 years of age.

I can prove financials, address (lease) etc etc etc etc - no problem.

They just need to make an announcement so people know to bring such documents to the Embassy.

I don't think it will go back to 'normal' shortly. They siply want to get rid of many illegal workers and this seems the easiest way.

But I think we're getting off topic here for the Phuket people, there are other topics for the general discussion.

An interesting comment stevenl.

If we take the case of the 26 year old Russian girl, what's stopping just another young Russian girl coming in on a tourist visa for her 3 months of a sunny working holiday at Sea Bees Diving?

The Russians have a good network. They could easily coordinate a new girl every 90 or 180 days, to arrive on a tourist visa and work.

I hope genuine tourists will not be inconvenienced. It is a very normal situation young backpackers come in on a 30 days airport visa free entry stamp, and decide to extend their holiday later on. They should not be hassled about confirmed hotel bookings, travel plans and so on. Flipping briefly through their passports should make clear immediately they are Germany, France or wherever based, and certainly not residing in Thailand permanently. I am eagerly awaiting field reports from Ranong.

"I hope genuine tourists will not be inconvenienced" - and this is the question, what is a "genuine tourist?"

For me, a genuine tourists is a 2 week holiday maker, or a 6 month South East Asia backpacker.

Everyone else is not a tourists, including myself.

It's quite rare a mature aged western person will "holiday" for 60 days. Most western countries only give 4 weeks of holiday from employment. Sure, it can be accrued and there is long service leave etc, but in general, mature aged people, with responsibilities back home, will not holiday here for 60 days, extend that by another 30 days, and then go and try to do it again.

So, if these people are not working illegally, and are not committing crime, what do we call these people, and why is there no visa class for them?

I have lived in Thailand since 2002, mostly using 1-year non-immigrant B visas, (on the basis of owning a business but not working in them). Although married to a Thai lady twice (different women), I never went down the O extension route.

Since the military coup in 2006(?), I wasn't able to get the non-imm B without actually working. So for a time I worked on with a B visa at my first hotel. After that (and my divorce), I had a variety of visas (ED, 60-day to visit Thai son), as well as visa-exempt and visa-runs to Kawthaung/Ranong.

But I also started to work outside Thailand (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia), returning for short family visits via the visa-exempt, 30-day route.

Last year, whilst working in Laos, I was 'encouraged' by my Thai ex's to settle down near my families. So I started to build a small resort, (meaning that I came back to Phuket to lease the land and get planning permission in my name), and then returned to Laos whilst my ex and Burmese workers did the actual building work.

After my mum died a few months ago, I returned to Phuket (visa-exempt again) and started to build my own little house on my resort land (Phuket Immigration boss has previously confirmed that it is legal to physically build your own house if you do not intend to sell it).

With this crackdown, I need to get my visas 'in order'. Since my new hotel will open in maybe about 4 months from now, I am currently registering a Thai company to enable me to obtain a B visa and a wp as manager. But in the meantime, I will apply for a 3-month ED visa to study conversational Mandarin, since most of our customers are Chinese and it's a useful language to learn.

Some have asked why I don't simply get a O retirement extension, since I will be 'relaxing;' at my new hotel and just chatting with customers. But I worry that 'chatting' could still be construed as working...

BTW, at one stage I also managed to obtain a volunteer visa based on my TPV work at the airport. But my overseas work and house-building means that my time to volunteer is rather low, so I won't bother trying again for a volunteer visa, (working as a TPV without a WP is a discussion for another thread!)

Simon

"I hope genuine tourists will not be inconvenienced" - and this is the question, what is a "genuine tourist?"

For me, a genuine tourists is a 2 week holiday maker, or a 6 month South East Asia backpacker.

It's quite rare a mature aged western person will "holiday" for 60 days. Most western countries only give 4 weeks of holiday from employment. Sure, it can be accrued and there is long service leave etc, but in general, mature aged people, with responsibilities back home, will not holiday here for 60 days, extend that by another 30 days, and then go and try to do it again.

So, if these people are not working illegally, and are not committing crime, what do we call these people, and why is there no visa class for them?

Actually, I've been doing just that for the last 10 years! UK IT contracts in the summer, relax in Thailand for 3-6 months in the winter. (And I'm 59 now, by the way - old but not mature!) smile.png

I simply don't hold with a company telling me when I can take my holidays thank you very much, so I don't sign long contracts - simples!

Used to get O Multiples but presume I'll now have to get triple entry Tourist visas which is as close as it comes to getting the "right" visa. But you're correct NamKangMan: there really isn't a Visa class into which I fit, but then I suppose I am one of those "rare" people to whom you refer. biggrin.png Would be nice if there was but I still see myself as a Tourist and if I wanted to stay longer, an O followed by extension for retirement shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

But then I'd have a long contract......whistling.gif

Actually, I've been doing just that for the last 10 years! UK IT contracts in the summer, relax in Thailand for 3-6 months in the winter. (And I'm 59 now, by the way - old but not mature!) smile.png

I simply don't hold with a company telling me when I can take my holidays thank you very much, so I don't sign long contracts - simples!

Used to get O Multiples but presume I'll now have to get triple entry Tourist visas which is as close as it comes to getting the "right" visa. But you're correct NamKangMan: there really isn't a Visa class into which I fit, but then I suppose I am one of those "rare" people to whom you refer. biggrin.png Would be nice if there was but I still see myself as a Tourist and if I wanted to stay longer, an O followed by extension for retirement shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

But then I'd have a long contract......whistling.gif

Your specific employment conditions put you in the minority, not the majority, of tourists. I would classify you as semi retired.

You are over 50 years of age, so no problems for you, you can get a retirement visa and come and go as you please.

If you were under 50 years of age, your "holiday" in Thailand for 3 to 6 months of the year, if there is a crackdown on back to back tourists visas, may become a problem for you, like so many others here, including myself.

Edited by NamKangMan

It's quite rare a mature aged western person will "holiday" for 60 days. Most western countries only give 4 weeks of holiday from employment.

Odd most of the Mature aged people I know come here for the winter for 4 months or so..

on the other hand in the next Village one old boy [78] hated the boarder hops and the pain of getting to BKK to get a bus.. he opted for a retirement Extension here, about 5 years ago, he spends around 4 months here only every winter.

Most friends and relatives that visit me or use my house as a base come for 6 - 8 weeks.. Mature aged people don't what such a long trip for 3 weeks, there children or grand children can look after there home while there away.

True in places like Phuket, Khao Lak, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Koh Samui and Krabi there are loads of mostly elderly westerners who spend every winter there, some of them stay almost 6 months. Quite a few of them rent a house the whole year round, or they have a Thai wife who owns the house. Also if some of these people don't qualify for a non imm O (retirement/marriage), they shouldn't have problems getting at least a double entry tourist visa in their home country. They are spending less than half of the year in Thailand, so IMO they are tourists and not residents.

Whilst typing this, I remember the case of an elderly Norwegian who often spends like 7 months in Thailand. At the Thai embassy in Oslo they made a problem about issuing him a tourist visa again: "You are spending more than half of the year in Thailand, so you need a different type of visa".

Edited by keestha

Another thing.......Comparision: If my knowledge base is still up to date, both in Brazil and in India, you can stay max 9 months on a tourist visa. After that, you cannot hop over to Uruguay/Nepal to get a new tourist visa, you really have to stay out for a long time. For the sake of people like NKM, I hope Thai authorities will remain lenient. Or maybe introduce a new visa category.

Okay, I'm 33, single, no kids or family in Thailand and don't work there either. I work overseas in oil and gas for usually 6 months of the year but not usually on a fixed rotation like month on month off. I'm a contractor, freelance so I come and go when the jobs come up which can be anytime. I've always stayed on 30 day visa exempt stamps so occasionally had to do 3 or 4 runs in a row when the works been quiet. Sometimes I might do one get the 30 days but then have to leave a few days later, What type of visa should i look to get now? The way things stand now it's looking like I'm screwed! I feel a bit hard done to to be fair as I was hassled at hkt immigration and threatened with refusal of entry by some woman who was clearly having a bad day a couple of months ago. I emailed issues and answer in the gazette who contacted head of immi who said there's no probs doing multiple runs for 30 day stamps as long as your not working in Thailand. The way I see it I'm lucky enough to only work half of the year, I'm a British citizen who rents a holiday home in Phuket year round and spend all of my free time there. Is anyone else in the same boat as me? All suggestions welcomed. Cheers folks

True in places like Phuket, Khao Lak, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Koh Samui and Krabi there are loads of mostly elderly westerners who spend every winter there, some of them stay almost 6 months. Quite a few of them rent a house the whole year round, or they have a Thai wife who owns the house. Also if some of these people don't qualify for a non imm O (retirement/marriage), they shouldn't have problems getting at least a double entry tourist visa in their home country. They are spending less than half of the year in Thailand, so IMO they are tourists and not residents.

Whilst typing this, I remember the case of an elderly Norwegian who often spends like 7 months in Thailand. At the Thai embassy in Oslo they made a problem about issuing him a tourist visa again: "You are spending more than half of the year in Thailand, so you need a different type of visa".

I don't know the Norwegian rules, but for many countries this would be true, he would officially not be residing in his 'home country' anymore. So yes, he would need some kind of residence visa (should be able to get O-visa and extension based on retirement).

New info on ed visas;

BANGKOK: -- MAY 5

The Ministry of Eduction (MOE) yesterday announced new, stricter requirements for Education visa extensions.

New application forms for education visa extensions have just been released.
The new requirements are:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required
• Proof of income. (to see if the student can support themselves and not work illegally)
• Reason for long stay in Thailand, if extended time in Thailand prior to application. (to check the student is not just a visa runner who cannot get any more tourists visas.)
Pending applications must be resubmitted using the new forms.

So much for all those thinking they can run to Whalen

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

New info on ed visas;

BANGKOK: -- MAY 5

The Ministry of Eduction (MOE) yesterday announced new, stricter requirements for Education visa extensions.

New application forms for education visa extensions have just been released.

The new requirements are:

1. Two year visa history of the student now required (currently only required for applications submitted in Bangkok)

2. Extra documents required

• Proof of income. (to see if the student can support themselves and not work illegally)

• Reason for long stay in Thailand, if extended time in Thailand prior to application. (to check the student is not just a visa runner who cannot get any more tourists visas.)

Pending applications must be resubmitted using the new forms.

So much for all those thinking they can run to Whalen

Is this already in the visa to Thailand subforum? Should be there.