The New Visa Enforcements

N47HAN

Although I could ask if there are any systems in place for the school to report non attenders?

The last time that I studied in Phuket on an ED visa, my teacher and I both had to sign a timesheet at the end of each lesson and that timesheet, (subsequently stamped by the language school), had to be shown to Phuket Immigration for a 90-day extension.

However, I suspect that many who abuse the ED visa system are doing this in cahoots with the language school, which is quite happy to take their money and for them not to attend lessons.

Many years ago, in Australia, a number of language schools suddenly mushroomed from nowhere offering English classes for, what became, a flood of Chinese students.(pre Tiaman Square)

The schools recruited students in China, collected substantial fees and helped with visas. They made no effort to follow-up on no-shows in classes. Fortunes were made for some of these guys.

When we eventually checked facilities at schools, we discovered they physically had desks, PCs etc, for only about 20-30% of their enrolments. If all students had suddenly turned up there was simply no space for them. We spent years digging illegal Chinese out of restaurant kitchens and market gardens all over Australia. When located they all applied for asylum.

Much of what goes on here reminds me of those days.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I could ask if there are any systems in place for the school to report non attenders?

The last time that I studied in Phuket on an ED visa, my teacher and I both had to sign a timesheet at the end of each lesson and that timesheet, (subsequently stamped by the language school), had to be shown to Phuket Immigration for a 90-day extension.

However, I suspect that many who abuse the ED visa system are doing this in cahoots with the language school, which is quite happy to take their money and for them not to attend lessons.

Many years ago, in Australia, a number of language schools suddenly mushroomed from nowhere offering English classes for, what became, a flood of Chinese students.(pre Tiaman Square)

The schools recruited students in China, collected substantial fees and helped with visas. They made no effort to follow-up on no-shows in classes. Fortunes were made for some of these guys.

When we eventually checked facilities at schools, we discovered they physically had desks, PCs etc, for only about 20-30% of their enrolments. If all students had suddenly turned up there was simply no space for them. We spent years digging illegal Chinese out of restaurant kitchens and market gardens all over Australia. When located they all applied for asylum.

Accept for one fine point ,

" hello mr immigration , im a white westerner and would like to claim asylum in your country "

mmm... wonder what the rules would be on that one :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@ Peterocket

So, those who are under 50, single, self funded and have no Thai kids - what visa is "the correct type to match their circumstances?" smile.png

That is fairly obvious NKM.

Any visa which is legal under Thai immigration law, and if you do not meet the requirements for

said visa then you can either forget Thailand and go elsewhere or fork out for the elite card.

Not rocket science is it??

For all these young self made millionaires on this thread I would think the elite card would be a

drop in the ocean for them and you incidently. no?

@ Peterocket

So, those who are under 50, single, self funded and have no Thai kids - what visa is "the correct type to match their circumstances?" smile.png

Any visa which is legal under Thai immigration law, and if you do not meet the requirements for

said visa then you can either forget Thailand and go elsewhere or fork out for the elite card.

For all these young self made millionaires on this thread I would think the elite card would be a

Even "young self made millionaires" know a Thai rip off / scam when they see one. biggrin.png

I'll continue on with my "legal" 1000 baht + 1900 baht extention 90 day tourist visas for the time being, until I encounter a problem, then, I will consider other options.

Until then, I will enjoy being legally allowed to live here, whilst visiting friends in neighbouring capital cities, and enjoying differents foods and cultures for a few days.

My 800,000 baht, that is not is a Thai bank, and working harder for me elsewhere, pretty much covers the cost of the visa runs, plus some, anyway. :)

I agree. It's not "rocket science." cheesy.gif

@ Peterocket

Even "young self made millionaires" know a Thai rip off / scam when they see one. biggrin.png

I'll continue on with my "legal" 1000 baht + 1900 baht extention 90 day tourist visas for the time being, until I encounter a problem, then, I will consider other options.

Until then, I will enjoy being legally allowed to live here, whilst visiting friends in neighbouring capital cities, and enjoying differents foods and cultures for a few days.

My 800,000 baht, that is not is a Thai bank, and working harder for me elsewhere, pretty much covers the cost of the visa runs, plus some, anyway. smile.png

I agree. It's not "rocket science." cheesy.gif

So you are sorted then, and your legal NKM so what is all the grumping and groaning about.

You are happy to do the necessary runs and pay the necessary funds to stay here legally so

really all that I can say is stop bloody moaning and let others who are not happy with their lot

sort themselves out, if they have made enough money to retire as early as they claim then I am

sure they are more than capable of looking out for themselves don't you think?.

I suggest you let them get on with it and as you have just pointed out above the new visa rules

don't affect you anyway, the mind boggles. What is your point???? facepalm.gif

@ VBF

From what I have read, the double entry tourist visa have beome quite hard to get, especially in neighbouring countries.

I suspect they will become even harder to get, if not impossible to get, in the near future.

So, the question yet to be answered is, how many back to back 60 day tourist visas would be acceptable to Thai authorities?

NamKangMan,

You didn't actually read my post very carefully.

In my example above, (Post # 66 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726058-the-new-visa-enforcements/page-3#entry7829161 ) I was referring to finishing my UK work contract, getting the double or triple entry Tourist Visa in UK, then spending 6-9 months in Thailand as a Tourist using all the legal entries and extensions. Then, return home to UK to work for 6 months or more.

Then, 6 or more months later, repeating the process - my key point is that I would leave Thailand for 6 months to work in UK, get my Tourist Visas in UK, then spend 6 months as a Tourist in Thailand. To remove all doubt, I do actually live in UK, therefore any trip I make to Thailand is as a bona fide Tourist. The fact that I am able and like to "tour" for 6-9 months using Thailand as a base is (or should be) irrelevant to the authorities, especially as I always have a return ticket and sufficient funds on entry. Generally at least 10,000 Baht in cash the rest in Banks (UK and Thailand) and assorted cards.

So my contention is that these would not, or should not be perceived as back to back Tourist Visas

That is the situation on which I am inviting comment...... smile.png

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

@ VBF

From what I have read, the double entry tourist visa have beome quite hard to get, especially in neighbouring countries.

I suspect they will become even harder to get, if not impossible to get, in the near future.

So, the question yet to be answered is, how many back to back 60 day tourist visas would be acceptable to Thai authorities?

NamKangMan,

In my example above, (Post # 66 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726058-the-new-visa-enforcements/page-3#entry7829161 ) I was referring to finishing my UK work contract, getting the double or triple entry Tourist Visa in UK, then spending 6-9 months in Thailand as a Tourist using all the legal entries and extensions. Then, return home to UK to work for 6 months or more.

Then, 6 or more months later, repeating the process - my key point is that I would leave Thailand for 6 months to work in UK, get my Tourist Visas in UK, then spend 6 months as a Tourist in Thailand. To remove all doubt, I do actually live in UK, therefore any trip I make to Thailand is as a bona fide Tourist. The fact that I am able and like to "tour" for 6-9 months using Thailand as a base is (or should be) irrelevant to the authorities, especially as I always have a return ticket and sufficient funds on entry. Generally at least 10,000 Baht in cash the rest in Banks (UK and Thailand) and assorted cards.

So my contention is that these would not, or should not be perceived as back to back Tourist Visas

You will have no problems at all.

Another thread heading into a slanging match .

Here we go again.

Now if i may go back to my OP ,

Has anyone information that nots hearsay or conjecture.

Im sure theres a few guys here that would like some real info.

But hey ... For TV that could be a first :-)

Edit were on page 7 , so normal. Apolagies . Lol

It will always be difficult to get accurate information on this issue.

Diffierent Thai Embassies handing out tourist visas, to different individuals, with different travel histories.

Same with the land boarder crossings.

Then, you have the issue of are they going to seriously enforce these back to back stamp and/or visa runners, or it will all go back to business as usual next week, or next month.

We could have someone post that they were refused in Penang, and someone post they were granted in Phnom Penh - what can you make of intell like that?

I'm interested in this topic, as you are, but it will be hard to rely on any information given with any degree of certainty. Just too many variables.

Make a appointment with a law firm that specializes in visa's and you will get accurate information

you will know what types of visa's you can get, what to do to get them, and how much they cost

Thats what i would do if under 50, cost should not be a problem to anyone who can afford to retire under 50 like you

@ VBF

NamKangMan,

I read you post, and understood it. Did you read mine?

I read the double entry tourist visas are very hard to get now.

If you do not get one, what is you "Plan B" if they also do not give back to back 60 day tourist visas, effectively only giving you 90 days here?

You should prepare for this scenario, as it may may happen.

Another thread heading into a slanging match .

Here we go again.

Now if i may go back to my OP ,

Has anyone information that nots hearsay or conjecture.

Im sure theres a few guys here that would like some real info.

But hey ... For TV that could be a first :-)

Edit were on page 7 , so normal. Apolagies . Lol

It will always be difficult to get accurate information on this issue.

Diffierent Thai Embassies handing out tourist visas, to different individuals, with different travel histories.

Same with the land boarder crossings.

Then, you have the issue of are they going to seriously enforce these back to back stamp and/or visa runners, or it will all go back to business as usual next week, or next month.

We could have someone post that they were refused in Penang, and someone post they were granted in Phnom Penh - what can you make of intell like that?

I'm interested in this topic, as you are, but it will be hard to rely on any information given with any degree of certainty. Just too many variables.

Make a appointment with a law firm that specializes in visa's and you will get accurate information

you will know what types of visa's you can get, what to do to get them, and how much they cost

Thats what i would do if under 50, cost should not be a problem to anyone who can afford to retire under 50 like you

I hear what you are saying, Ned.

I am sure a lawyer could "mediate" to get me a long term visa. smile.png

The cost is not the issue, the legality of the visa is.

Believe ir or not, I do try to be legal here, with everything, but I will speak with a lawyer when my current visa is coming to an end and see what they say.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

This thread is about New Visa Enforcements.

Enforcements is the key word in the title and the thread is for discussion on the new crackdowns on serial border runners. it is not about new visa classes to cater for a few individuals who suddenly find it difficult to continue living in Thailand.

Most reasoned people here are convinced that a large percentage of young border runners are working illegally and some involved in criminality. Perhaps selfishly, I am on the side of those who would like to see them shunted off home so I welcome the crackdown.

No doubt there are a few wealthy under 50s who choose to live in Thailand permanently, and as can be gleaned from several posts above there are avenues for these individuals to stay legally. I would bet my lefty none of these rich people run to Burma every 15 days.

One or two hysterical individuals are trying to hijack the thread and make it into a debate about their perceived need for a new visa class to fit their own purposes. I'm not interested in, and haven't responded to, that debate.

Perhaps they should start a new thread in their efforts to get Thailand Immigration to change their legislation

I gather your post is directed towards me.

The enforcement will catch quite a few self funded under 50's, like me. I don't think it's off topic to discuss visa classes when the thread is about visa enforcement. After all, they are enforcing the various visa classes, are they not?

Sure, this visa enforcement will catch a few young ones working illegally here, but what about the many undesirables that are over 50's that are living on next to nothing here?

Like you, selfishly, I would laugh if tomorrow the Thai Governmnet announced a change to the retirement visa law and raised the retirement age to 65 and they must have 2 million baht in the bank or a monthly income of 200,000 baht in order to get rid of the over 50's undesirables.

What the forum light up then. cheesy.gif

Is a Russian girl working in a dive shop such a problem for you OC?

If not, why bother commenting on this thread?

What's an over 50 undesirable?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well no replies from anyone whos done the ranong run , maybe there all left stranded in myanmar with no internet access to TV :-)

• Like 1

So will thay pile on the border runs for B visa holders to make up for the tourists? Business owners have to leave every 30 days? Egads!!

However, I'm betting this will blow over, just like the last 3 or 4 times I've witnessed " Visa crackdowns" Seems to be a 3 year cycle of Thai authorities threatening to enforce sensible laws.

The border run is just to lucrative, for too many. This is just Thai-Thalk for the embarrassing stolen passport revelations.

Regardless, I do get sick of the 15 time runner bragging on his border runs while I try to do things by the rules, and am essentially punished for it by having to make 90 day runs while having a work permit and a one year B visa .

Get an extension and you don't have to do the runs anymore.

I don't think this will blow over, besides the embarrassment this has much more to do with illegal workers. The Koreans and Russians are really unpopular at the moment, and this will dent their workforce.

It just isn't that easy, you just don't waltz in to immigration get a one year permission to stay. Or do you? Tea money??

It takes four full time workers at minimum wage . I pay two workers - and over twice the minimum wage and therefore do not qualify.

Hence this business owner, with a one year B Visa, and two well paid employees has to do a border run every 90 days.

So will thay pile on the border runs for B visa holders to make up for the tourists? Business owners have to leave every 30 days? Egads!!

However, I'm betting this will blow over, just like the last 3 or 4 times I've witnessed " Visa crackdowns" Seems to be a 3 year cycle of Thai authorities threatening to enforce sensible laws.

The border run is just to lucrative, for too many. This is just Thai-Thalk for the embarrassing stolen passport revelations.

Regardless, I do get sick of the 15 time runner bragging on his border runs while I try to do things by the rules, and am essentially punished for it by having to make 90 day runs while having a work permit and a one year B visa .

I don't think this will blow over, besides the embarrassment this has much more to do with illegal workers. The Koreans and Russians are really unpopular at the moment, and this will dent their workforce.

It just isn't that easy, you just don't waltz in to immigration get a one year permission to stay. Or do you? Tea money??

It takes four full time workers at minimum wage . I pay two workers - and over twice the minimum wage and therefore do not qualify.

Hence this business owner, with a one year B Visa, and two well paid employees has to do a border run every 90 days.

Yes, it is that easy, ypu just have to meet the requirements.

Marry a Thai, only 2 staff required, or hire 2 staff on paper.

We all make choices and know the consequences of those choices, so don't complain about the consequences. Ultimately they are your choices.

Accept for one fine point ,

" hello mr immigration , im a white westerner and would like to claim asylum in your country "

mmm... wonder what the rules would be on that one :-)

Yes a visa is certainly needed for the under 50, too old for school, OK but not quite well enough off for investor visa types who cannot afford young, quality prostitutes in their own countries.

The Sex Asylum Visa

We all make choices and know the consequences of those choices, so don't complain about the consequences. Ultimately they are your choices.

Please explain your situation? Are you here , employed on a work permited B visa, and you get one year extensions?

(Maybe another good reason to NOT start a business here. 4 staff are required for a one year extension when you own the company. )

Marrying a Thai is not an option.

Sorry but I will complain how tourists reside with relative ease, year after year (or have), while a business owner, with two staff- I already remarked, well paid staff -has to leave every 90 days- and go through W P syph test hoops and the yearly B visa paper chase.

HIre 2 staff on paper? So, sure it's easy- if you break the law?

@ VBF

NamKangMan,

If you do not get one, what is you "Plan B" if they also do not give back to back 60 day tourist visas, effectively only giving you 90 days here?

@ NamKangMan,

Oh dear..... one last try....

Yes. you are absolutely correct in that double entry TVs ARE very hard to get in neighbouring countries and probably going to get harder unfortunately

But I have constantly and consistently said that I am envisaging getting a Double or Triple entry Tourist Visa in the UK, which is where my journey would start and end, that being the basis on which I would be a bona fide Tourist therefore not even asking for back to back visas - just one Double or Triple entry to cover my long holiday and then returning to work in my country of residence - UK. Then after 6 months or more away from Thailand, may attempt the same procedure again - hardly back to back with a 6 month gap in between them, merely an annual holidaymaker to Thailand!!! So far (!), I have heard nothing to say that Double or Triple entry TVs issued in UK or Europe are being rationed - this might change - we have no idea.

I stand by what I think as of now but as was said above, this is in danger of turning into a flame war, and, also, none of us actually knows yet how the Thais will interpret and enforce these new rules.

We could all be wrong yet!

Thank you for the interesting debate - Sawadi Khrap and Choc-Di Khrap

Edited by VBF

Please explain your situation? Are you here , employed on a work permited B visa, and you get one year extensions?

(Maybe another good reason to NOT start a business here. 4 staff are required for a one year extension when you own the company. )

Marrying a Thai is not an option.

Sorry but I will complain how tourists reside with relative ease, year after year (or have), while a business owner, with two staff- I already remarked, well paid staff -has to leave every 90 days- and go through W P syph test hoops and the yearly B visa paper chase.

HIre 2 staff on paper? So, sure it's easy- if you break the law?

I'm om B-extension with WP.

We all make our choices, as do you: employing 2 in stead of 4 staff, not marrying, and those choices have consequences. Make different choices and different options come, so why complain about your own choices. You may want to check 'O' with WP BTW, apparently there are options for that.

@ VBF

NamKangMan,

@ NamKangMan,

Oh dear..... one last try....

Yes. you are absolutely correct in that double entry TVs ARE very hard to get in neighbouring countries and probably going to get harder unfortunately

But I have constantly and consistently said that I am envisaging getting a Double or Triple entry Tourist Visa in the UK, which is where my journey would start and end, that being the basis on which I would be a bona fide Tourist therefore not even asking for back to back visas - just one Double or Triple entry to cover my long holiday and then returning to work in my country of residence - UK. Then after 6 months or more away from Thailand, may attempt the same procedure again - hardly back to back with a 6 month gap in between them, merely an annual holidaymaker to Thailand!!! So far (!), I have heard nothing to say that Double or Triple entry TVs issued in UK or Europe are being rationed - this might change - we have no idea.

I stand by what I think as of now but as was said above, this is in danger of turning into a flame war, and, also, none of us actually knows yet how the Thais will interpret and enforce these new rules.

We could all be wrong yet!

Thank you for the interesting debate - Sawadi Khrap and Choc-Di Khrap

Oh dear.

I was merely wondering what will you do if you walk into the Thai Embassy in London and ask for a double entry tourist visa and they say, "No more double entry visa."

So, they give you a 60 day tourist visa, you extend it by 1 month, for 1900 baht - then, you do a visa run to a neighbouring country and they say, "Sorry. You just spend 90 day in Thailand. You work illegal. We not give."

Get the picture?

What is your contingency plan, should this happen?

Edited by NamKangMan

You are allowed to do one land border crossing and come straight back in. It is back to back border crossings without a visa that is being cracked down upon.

NKM, I see you are using your very fertile imagination to wind people up with mere speculation.......yet again.

• Like 2

You are allowed to do one land border crossing and come straight back in. It is back to back border crossings without a visa that is being cracked down upon.

NKM, I see you are using your very fertile imagination to wind people up with mere speculation.......yet again.

They have started with the land boarder crossings. Wouldn't it stand to reason the next step would be the back to back 60 day visas?

Edited by NamKangMan

I think everyone should be concerned about their future in Thailand, whether they are in the country on visa-exempt, tourist, O, O-A, B or whatever visa extensions.

In these changing times, I think the only 'safe' status in this country is with Thai citizenship, which is not easy to obtain for most foreigners, (knowledge of thai language, married etc).

I think a plan B (and maybe C, D.......) is something that all foreigners should prepare.

What if the ED visa is withdrawn?

What if tourist visas are for 30 days and no extensions or renewals?

What if the retirement extension financial requirements are increased and only granted to those who can speak Thai and are married to a Thai? (Don't laugh - it could happen!).

What if the B visa is granted for only a limited time until you have passed your business skills over to a local and then you are kicked out? (As Singapore did/used to do for IT experts like me).

Complacency and 'I'm alright Jack' is really not the best attitude.....

Simon

A special category, long term visa for people under 50 of independent means (rich) could be an answer.

However, I think there are a lot less of these people in Thailand than boast about it on Thai Visa.

Yes, from the people I have met who are under 50 most do not really have the means to live here and are working in some faction to stay here, no WP. This group is not all bad but many are lowlifes and are breaking the law. Most could not put together the required funds to stay even if the same option was offered to them as the over 50 group.

I would guess that 95% of the farangs under 50 working in the bars don't have work permits.

Where are these people hiding.

In 20 years, I never met anyone doing that. All in the resorts? I guess working in Bangkok for companies insulates you from this problem. Are u really saying there are thousands of under 50s working illegally?

If there are, they need to be told to go home and get a proper job anyway.

Yes, from the people I have met who are under 50 most do not really have the means to live here and are working in some faction to stay here, no WP. This group is not all bad but many are lowlifes and are breaking the law. Most could not put together the required funds to stay even if the same option was offered to them as the over 50 group.

I would guess that 95% of the farangs under 50 working in the bars don't have work permits.

In 20 years, I never met anyone doing that. All in the resorts? I guess working in Bangkok for companies insulates you from this problem. Are u really saying there are thousands of under 50s working illegally?

That's a bold statement that 'people I have met who are under 50 most do not really have the means to live here and are working in some faction to stay here' and 'I would guess that 95% of the farangs under 50 working in the bars don't have work permits.'

I have no idea where you get that 95% figure. While I have no doubt that there are quite a number of farangs working illegally here in Phuket, your 95% is way too high. I know plenty of under 50s who are self funded and do not work in Thailand, I know others who are supported by their parents, and I know plenty who work here with a work permit. I just wonder how many are working here illegally, I suspect it is a much lower number than one would think. For sure in the hundreds, but not in the thousands.

• Like 1

That's a bold statement that 'people I have met who are under 50 most do not really have the means to live here and are working in some faction to stay here' and 'I would guess that 95% of the farangs under 50 working in the bars don't have work permits.'

I have no idea where you get that 95% figure. While I have no doubt that there are quite a number of farangs working illegally here in Phuket, your 95% is way too high. I know plenty of under 50s who are self funded and do not work in Thailand, I know others who are supported by their parents, and I know plenty who work here with a work permit. I just wonder how many are working here illegally, I suspect it is a much lower number than one would think. For sure in the hundreds, but not in the thousands.

Don't forget to think about others like Koreans, Chinese, Japanese. Many of those around, and I know quite a few here working without workpermits.

There is a reason this present enforcement is primarily aimed at them.

Don't forget to think about others like Koreans, Chinese, Japanese. Many of those around, and I know quite a few here working without workpermits.

There is a reason this present enforcement is primarily aimed at them.

Quite right Steven, I was more thinking about Europeans/Aussies/North Americans. Good article in the Bangkok Post (can't link on this forum) from the Head off all Immigration. He specifically mentioned that Koreans/Chinese/Russians were being targeted.